Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

52 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I be perfectly happy slitting Mack and McKinley with LSU. We should have a really good DB class and need DTs like Stoops needs a bag of dicks.

Same. McKinley is the second most important recruit in this cycle behind Simmons and we have the advantage of an academics focused mom squarely in our corner. If landing him causes LSU to double down and shift resources to Mack.. so be it. Take that trade seven days a week. 

Baker would be a lovely get, and securing the heir to Banks in this class would be ideal, but OSU has a lot of NIL ammo left this cycle and he is supposedly their top priority after securing Innis. We would love to have him obviously but would you rather lock down Wingo and perhaps two elite defenders for the same resoures? I certainly don't envy the bastards having to make these decisions. Things were a lot easier back when it was just about finding some kid's cousin a fucking job lmao. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Same. McKinley is the second most important recruit in this cycle behind Simmons and we have the advantage of an academics focused mom squarely in our corner. If landing him causes LSU to double down and shift resources to Mack.. so be it. Take that trade seven days a week. 

Baker would be a lovely get, and securing the heir to Banks in this class would be ideal, but OSU has a lot of NIL ammo left this cycle and he is supposedly their top priority after securing Innis. We would love to have him obviously but would you rather lock down Wingo and perhaps two elite defenders for the same resoures? I certainly don't envy the bastards having to make these decisions. Things were a lot easier back when it was just about finding some kid's cousin a fucking job lmao. 

Are you talking about Brandon Inniss from last cycle?

8 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Are you talking about Brandon Inniss from last cycle?

I meant whichever the top wideout is this cycle for them that I know cost a fucking fortune. I guess it was probably Smith? Yeah you are right tho Innis was last cycle. 

edit: actually after looking at their class it would have been in reference to Graham as my friend was talking about absolute insane cost in April (which is when that kid committed). They've had Smith on lock for much longer. Point is per friend in the circles at OSU Baker is really their top remaining target they are willing to dump a ton of resources on so going to be an interesting battle. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Player parent groups are super important for recruiting. I’m in a text thread with Trejo and St. Louis’ dads and helped recruit both kids. I mostly just send them funny memes and ask them if they know ctj but they don’t respond. 

Whose parent are you?

On 6/30/2023 at 7:19 AM, NoName said:

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Colin-Simmons-at-Duncanville-272580/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

247 has always been lower on him than everyone else:

image.thumb.png.ec256ca609aade46753582e1096ae65d.png

vs everyone else who has him in the top 10:

image.png.1ae9ec73092bcf6c33930067300e564d.png

idk how the top 25 are going to shake out, but i think the bigger issue is that i don't see a world where he is actually outside the top 5 in Texas

image.thumb.png.2fbbd6b057e547dc499c88c8fa0a8c73.png

The only conceivable justification I could see for his relative mis-rating is being very slightly undersized at 6’2.5”. That being said he’s likely still growing and the speed and bend/flexibility jump off the film even to a novice like myself. Elite edge rusher traits. 

11 hours ago, Midnight Ambler said:

The only conceivable justification I could see for his relative mis-rating is being very slightly undersized at 6’2.5”. That being said he’s likely still growing and the speed and bend/flexibility jump off the film even to a novice like myself. Elite edge rusher traits. 

but it is inconceivable that someone actually believes the 3 of the top 4 players are WRs. 247 has 7 WRs in the top 21 players in the state. That is just fvckin stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Stampede

Spoiler

Texas is coming off an exciting weekend on the recruiting trail, reeling in three commitments to its 2024 class. And things don't appear to be slowing down anytime soon, as a number of Longhorns targets get set to come off the board in the month of July. In this week's edition of The Stampede, the Horns247 staff breaks down the latest intel on a number of top Texas targets with decisions on the horizon, and how UT factors in. 

Corian Gipson, 4-star CB, Lancaster (Texas) —

Earlier this summer Clemson experienced a wave of recruiting momentum following the Tigers’ first big visitors weekend of June. Part of that was positive buzz in favor of Clemson’s chances to land Top100 cornerback Corian Gipson. Speaking with several different sources, that confidence has quelled a bit as we enter July. One source described it as a coin toss between Texas and Clemson now, with another source more optimistic than 50/50 about Texas’ chances to keep Gibson home. Of course, UT adding four-star safety Jordon Johnson-Rubell, a close friend of Gipson’s, helps, but Texas has also put the pedal to the metal here in Gipson’s recruitment, with Steve Sarkisian, Terry Joseph, and Blake Gideon all contributing on the recruiting front in this one. The Longhorns got the last visit in June, and with a decision on the horizon it’s hard not to like where Texas stands. (Hank South)

Texas target Aeryn Hampton. (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

Aeryn Hampton, 4-star ATH, Daingerfield (Texas)

One of the more written about prospects in the cycle, Daingerfield four-star athlete Aeryn Hampton’s recruitment has been filled with twists and turns since it took off early on in the East Texan’s prep career.

The twists and turns appear to be coming to an end however, as Hampton has cut his long list of 27 offers down to just two schools in Texas and Alabama ahead of his commitment date of July 7.

A one-time Baylor and Texas pledge, Hampton backed off his commitment to Texas this past fall and, in the time between, Texas refused to throw in the towel on the versatile four-star. As we’re coming down the stretch with Hampton’s commitment date just days away, Horns247 ultimately believes the Longhorns’ continued long-term efforts is what has them currently edging Alabama to land Hampton’s talents once again.

Now while there's still a tough road that lies ahead in battling out Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide for the longtime Texas target ahead of his commitment date set just days from now, it’s worth mentioning the wild card Hampton has been at times throughout his recruitment. Everything Horns247 has heard over the last few weeks points to Hampton pledging to the Burnt Orange once again come July 7, but I’d be a fool to not be cautious nonetheless as we’ve seen crazier things happen as of late in the ever-changing modern day recruiting world we live in. (Jordan Scruggs)

Malik Blocton, 4-star DL, Pike Road (Ala.)

Blocton will announce a commitment on July 8 between Auburn and Texas. Looking at the recruitment, most would assume the Tigers are the heavy favorite with proximity to campus, the staff’s push, and the fact that Blocton’s older brother, Marcus Harris, is on the team. While we’re still in the camp of that likely being the case, Texas is at the very least making this interesting. Two sources in the state of Alabama close to Blocton’s recruitment were unsure of what he was going to do in recent days, and an additional source tells Horns247 “Texas is in it.” Blocton trekked to Austin in mid-June, and one source said the visit couldn’t have gone any better, adding distance is not an issue at all. In fact, Blocton’s older brother started his collegiate career at Kansas, indicating that leaving home is not a problem. Auburn is obviously going to press to keep him in state, but it’s worth tracking the next five days. (Hank South)

Jordan Washington, 3-star TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

As the rest of the nation expects fireworks on Tuesday, Horns247 is also expecting 4th of July festivities as Houston Langham Creek tight end Jordan Washington has set his commitment date for Tuesday.

A bit of a late riser, Washington didn't receive his Texas offer, or the majority of his higher level offers, until May of this spring, but in hindsight the later recruitment rise wouldn’t matter as Washington would end up trimming down his list to a top three of Alabama, Texas, and Texas A&M.

Texas was the first to offer out of the group of three finalists, and as intel has suggested, the Longhorns being the first to pull the trigger would end up making headways in the recruitment long term. Led by Jeff Banks, the Longhorns staff jockeyed for the three-star’s second to last official visit on the June 16-18 weekend, and every source Horns247 spoke with coming out of that weekend suggested Texas did a stellar job with Washington on the trip.

However there was one roadblock in the way of Steve Sarkisian reeling in his first tight end commitment of the 2024 class, in that Washington was expected to officially visit Alabama the June 23-25 weekend. Coming out of the Texas official visit, it was unknown if Washington would end up taking his visit to Tuscaloosa, but as we got later into the week Washington confirmed with Horns247 that he had in fact canceled his Alabama trip, meaning his last visit before announcing his commitment happened to be to the Forty Acres.

While there has been some last minute changes in recruitments around the nation as of late, I don’t expect any cold feet tomorrow and remain confident in my Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Texas to land Washington. (Jordan Scruggs)

Four-star CB Wardell Mack. (Photo: Hank South, 247Sports)

Wardell Mack, 4-star CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret

Texas hosted Mack for his last official visit of June, and perhaps set the bar in his recruitment. “Coach Sark and Coach Joseph and having deep conversations about my recruiting process,” Mack told Horns247 of what he liked about the trip to Austin. “Coach Joseph and I are from the same place. Same playgrounds and everything. So our relationship runs extremely deep." One source close to the Bayou State native felt the Longhorns are the favorite coming out of the month of June. Obviously LSU is going to factor in here heavy, and Mack has a return trip scheduled to Florida later this month, but UT has put its best foot forward so far. A decision is likely coming late August or early September for the Top247 corner. (Hank South)

Five-star OT Brandon Baker. (Photo: Texas Athletics)

Brandon Baker, 5-star OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Texas has yet to land a top offensive tackle target in 2024. However looking ahead, Baker’s recruitment seems to be setting up more and more in the Longhorns’ favor. Talking to several sources over the weekend about the nation’s top-ranked tackle, it’s clear that Georgia is likely a non-factor after hosting him last in June. That leaves Ohio State, Oregon, and the Longhorns. One source felt the Buckeyes and Longhorns are picking up steam, but was quick to not discount the Ducks here as well. Both OSU and UT impressed Baker greatly, opening the door even wider for a potential West Coast departure. It’s too close to call at this point, but with Baker being essentially the main target at tackle right now, plus a future first-round pick to advertise with in Kelvin Banks Jr., Kyle Flood, Sarkisian, and the Texas staff have a lot to pitch the Longhorns with in this recruitment. (Hank South)

Jayden Jackson, 4-star DL, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

Coming off an official visit to Austin to cap off June, Texas still appears to be in strong standing for the IMG product. Jackson is also considering Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, and Miami, but the Longhorns appear to be in pole position talking to sources. A decision is believed to be coming in July, but not date as been locked in by Jackson’s camp to this point. (Hank South)

Quick hitters

Daniel Calhoun, 4-star OT, Marietta (Ga.) Walton

Unless something changes before Wednesday, Georgia is trending to add the Top100 tackle to their class. (Hank South)

Nyier Daniels, 4-star OT, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

We’re told Texas is still working on Daniels, but with him cancelling his visit to Austin last month after a trip to Athens, UGA is the likely landing spot ahead of a Friday announcement. (Hank South)

TJ Lindsey, 4-star DL, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

Still no decision date set for Lindsey this month, as the Arkansas native mulls over his choices. Texas A&M is trending on the Crystal Ball, but sources have maintained that Texas and Auburn shouldn’t be slept on here. (Hank South)

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

but it is inconceivable that someone actually believes the 3 of the top 4 players are WRs. 247 has 7 WRs in the top 21 players in the state. That is just fvckin stupid. 

This made me look at 247

WR: 39 4 stars, 7 5 stars

IOL; 20 4 stars, 0 5 stars

DL: 22 4 stars, 7 5 stars

OT; 20 4 stars, 1 5 stars. 

The entire OL has less 4/5 star players than WR (46 v 41). WR has 7 5 stars compared to 1 on the OL.  That is a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls