Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

but it is inconceivable that someone actually believes the 3 of the top 4 players are WRs. 247 has 7 WRs in the top 21 players in the state. That is just fvckin stupid.Ā 

I had to look at the industry after this.Ā 

Blue Chip recruits (4/5 stars) on offense (214 total) by position:

QB: 28 (13.1%) (2 5 stars)
RB: 33 (15.4%) (0 5 stars)

WR: 72 (33.6%) (6 5 stars)

TE: 26 (12.1%) ) (1 5 star)

OT: 27 (12.6%) (1 5 star)

IOL: 28 (13.1%) (0 5 stars)

There are 214 offensive players ranked at Blue Chips, 33.6% are WRs (60% of the 5 stars with 6 of 10). The next highest is RB at 15.4% (33). The entire OL is 25.7%.. No matter what personnel group you consider to be the standard in college, the OL represents 45.5% of the players on the field (5/11).. OL seems laughably low. WR is just insane. TE is surprising. RB is too high also.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Defense isnt as bad. 192 Blue chips

Edge: 28 (14.6%. 2 5 stars)

DL: 39 (20.3%, 5 5 stars)

LB: 44 (22.9%. 2 5 stars... this seems high)

CB: 46 (24%, 3 5 stars)
S: 34 (18.2%, 1 5 star)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I had to look at the industry after this.Ā 

Blue Chip recruits (4/5 stars) on offense (214 total) by position:

QB: 28 (13.1%) (2 5 stars)
RB: 33 (15.4%) (0 5 stars)

WR: 72 (33.6%) (6 5 stars)

TE: 26 (12.1%) ) (1 5 star)

OT: 27 (12.6%) (1 5 star)

IOL: 28 (13.1%) (0 5 stars)

There are 214 offensive players ranked at Blue Chips, 33.6% are WRs (60% of the 5 stars with 6 of 10). The next highest is RB at 15.4% (33). The entire OL is 25.7%.. No matter what personnel group you consider to be the standard in college, the OL represents 45.5% of the players on the field (5/11).. OL seems laughably low. WR is just insane. TE is surprising. RB is too high also.Ā 

Defense isnt as bad. 192 Blue chips

Edge: 28 (14.6%. 2 5 stars)

DL: 39 (20.3%, 5 5 stars)

LB: 44 (22.9%. 2 5 stars... this seems high)

CB: 46 (24%, 3 5 stars)
S: 34 (18.2%, 1 5 star)

I wouldn't read too much into the distribution. Stars are a prediction so you'd expect positions that are easier to project (WR, RB) to be over-represented. There's also some natural variability from year to year. This is a down year for Texas OL, so that may be the case overall. That said, while I know there is a strong correlation between star rating and draft status, I'd be curious what the numbers look like by position.Ā 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I wouldn't read too much into the distribution. Stars are a prediction so you'd expect positions that are easier to project (WR, RB) to be over-represented. There's also some natural variability from year to year. This is a down year for Texas OL, so that may be the case overall. That said, while I know there is a strong correlation between star rating and draft status, I'd be curious what the numbers look like by position.Ā 

This was national. That was my point, the ranking agencies are lazy. QB being over-rated makes sense, the NFL draft is evidence for that. WR/TE combo just seems way off to me. Seems 7 on 7 is the key to being over-rated on offense. Keep in mind the defense does not show the same bias. Correlation by position would be very interesting.Ā 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ā 

This was national. That was my point, the ranking agencies are lazy. QB being over-rated makes sense, the NFL draft is evidence for that. WR/TE combo just seems way off to me. Seems 7 on 7 is the key to being over-rated on offense. Keep in mind the defense does not show the same bias. Correlation by position would be very interesting.Ā 

I donā€™t watch 7v7 but doesnā€™t the offense usually outperform the defense in that format? Ā Wrs and qbs probably look the best in such formats and skills comps.Ā 

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ā 

So when do we get the Codaxx top 100?Ā 

22 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Unclear to me what the pecking order is on the interior DL, but I'd like this kid to be a part of the group we take

Going off memory, but I believe Gerry had the top 4 at McKinley, Robinson, Jackson, and January. He was adamant that all 7 of them would be quality takes for Texas.Ā 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Imagine being Malik Blocton and having to choose between Austin, the capital of Texas and increasingly a world city with a huge stage, and Auburn, Alabama.Ā  Having a whole subgroup of my kinfolk in/around Auburn, it's just not a place I'd want to spend years of my life --- and that's being polite.Ā 

58 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Imagine being Malik Blocton and having to choose between Austin, the capital of Texas and increasingly a world city with a huge stage, and Auburn, Alabama.Ā  Having a whole subgroup of my kinfolk in/around Auburn, it's just not a place I'd want to spend years of my life --- and that's being polite.Ā 

Banjo Deliverance GIF

Ā 

A data point on the Gipson recruitment.Ā  In a "curious incident of the dog in the night-time" vein.

Ā 

- For a while, the 247 analysts thought Clemson led.Ā  After his Clemson visit (early June), Roach had joined their mods in CBs, and put in a 7 CB (a rarity for him).

- After the Texas visit (6/23), their mods had promised but held off on an update ... until this AM.Ā  Their mod's update was simply a link to the Texas Stampede update above, in which Hank South said he liked where Texas stood.Ā  No other comments from their mods.

Ā 

Nothing conclusive, but positive for Texas.Ā  We'll see.

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

"This is not a place I'd want to spend years of my life" is Alabama talk for "You're my sibling/cousin and still, I'm just not that into you."

Edited by TheRealRonWeaver?

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

I really appreciate how the roster is shaping up under Sark.Ā 

They saw OL as an issue, they went big game hunting, signed the highest ranked OL in the country.
They saw LB as an issue, they went big game hunting, signed a major class.
Now they want SEC bodies on the DL and they're not afraid to go for their guys, not just stars.Ā 

Loving it.

Aggy thinks we don't know what we're in for in the SEC.Ā  Staff full of SEC and NFL coaching vets understand perfectly what awaits us and is swiftly preparing us to be a predator, not prey.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Neither does his OV list:

Ā 

image.png.8ac4f2c0d638c50793729041beb6a071.png

Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s crazy. You canā€™t get a better OV list than that. Is he just one of those really raw Florida kids that Gerry talks about? Ā If you are doing recruiting rankings for a service and see an OV schedule like that, maybe itā€™s time to take a second look at your evaluation.Ā 

Blocton to Texas, Robinson to Texas, Hills to Texas, thatā€™s 4 interior DL including January. So youā€™re left waiting for McKinley and if you get him, trying to hang on to all 5 through signing day.Ā 

Given the buzz on these guys to Texas, the Arkansas guy and Jackson become mysteries. One of those posters in the screenshots alluded to Jackson announcing tomorrow but we havenā€™t heard that, have we?

• Hook 'Em 9

Just now, closetojumping said:

Blocton to Texas, Robinson to Texas, Hills to Texas, thatā€™s 4 interior DL including January. So youā€™re left waiting for McKinley and if you get him, trying to hang on to all 5 through signing day.Ā 

Given the buzz on these guys to Texas, the Arkansas guy and Jackson become mysteries. One of those posters in the screenshots alluded to Jackson announcing tomorrow but we havenā€™t heard that, have we?

When did we become the leader on Blocton? certainly not angry about it, just IIRC you had him going to Auburn on your last update.Ā 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I noticed that.Ā  The last thing I saw had him as "mid-July".

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Thatā€™s crazy. You canā€™t get a better OV list than that. Is he just one of those really raw Florida kids that Gerry talks about? Ā If you are doing recruiting rankings for a service and see an OV schedule like that, maybe itā€™s time to take a second look at your evaluation.Ā 

Here's his ranking on all four sites.

Ā 

Screenshot_20230703_135725_Chrome.jpg

Just now, cochamps said:

Yeah, I noticed that.Ā  The last thing I saw had him as "mid-July".

It's been talked about the IMG guys (Jackson and Lindsey) would commit before they report to campus, which I belive is around the 20th of this month.

Ā 

Talking about visits, offers and rating/ranking, Jayden Jackson is a composite low 4 star (barely), and a 247Sports 3 star.

- Jayden Jackson's visitsĀ 

image.thumb.png.1947825d77ded3866a798c6ebf8baeb5.png

Jackson's offers

image.thumb.png.8d656572cd9a64c60b2637853f4ee790.png

Ā 

(He also has Tenn, A&M, USC, Penn State, etc. on his offer list.)

Goes back to a comment in one of CTJ's updates about the staff thinking a bunch of these DLs were underrated.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Ā 

Talking about visits, offers and rating/ranking, Jayden Jackson is a composite low 4 star (barely), and a 247Sports 3 star.

- Jayden Jackson's visitsĀ 

image.thumb.png.1947825d77ded3866a798c6ebf8baeb5.png

Jackson's offers

image.thumb.png.8d656572cd9a64c60b2637853f4ee790.png

Ā 

(He also has Tenn, A&M, USC, Penn State, etc. on his offer list.)

Goes back to a comment in one of CTJ's updates about the staff thinking a bunch of these DLs were underrated.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I am not a ā€œtrust the coachesā€ guy across the board, but I will give the benefit of the doubt on their evaluations to Bo Davis on DL, Flood on OL, and Sark on QBā€™s.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls