Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not going to change your mind. I find it hard to believe Sark and Bo's plan from the beginning was to hit IDL recruiting hard in 2024 and do it out of state. No coaching staff wants to be in that position. I agree that there have been legitimate circumstances that have led to this situation, but that does not stop me from acknowledging that Texas is not where they want to be at IDL currently. 

So, then would you say RB recruiting has been shit? 

OOS recruiting is a good thing when the goal is to improve the overall roster. That’s literally the strategy here, especially when in-state IDL options have been down. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not going to change your mind. I find it hard to believe Sark and Bo's plan from the beginning was to hit IDL recruiting hard in 2024 and do it out of state. No coaching staff wants to be in that position. I agree that there have been legitimate circumstances that have led to this situation, but that does not stop me from acknowledging that Texas is not where they want to be at IDL currently. 

I didn’t say anything about Texas knowing “from the beginning” to wait and hit 2024 hard. That’s your own bullshit. 

What I’ve stated is that Texas knew it wasn’t going to win immediately in the southeast on the DL front, en masse. They knew that the Texas IDL classes looked weak on the immediate forefront when they came in. So they did what they could until they’d marshaled their resources and credibility in order to enter the fray where the difference makers are residing. 

It’s been fortuitous for Texas and Sarkisian that Texas opted to join the SEC, NIL emerged and Texas alums have gotten good at it quickly, the portal has become a thing, and that Herman’s staff actually did okay on the DL front. Those things have enabled the patient strategy to work out. 

There is a difference between attributing IDL future depth as a failure on Davis’ behalf, which you and others have argued, and arguing that Texas has been deliberate with their approach there. BTW, this is handwringing over the future, for fuck’s sake. IDL under Davis has developed into a strength. The portal and development will also play major roles in the IDL’s outlook for 2024 and beyond. There hasn’t been a misstep yet and it doesn’t look like a big risk in the near future, either. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

OOS recruiting is a good thing when the goal is to improve the overall roster. That’s literally the strategy here, especially when in-state IDL options have been down. 

I find it...odd...that a guy who recently tried to point out that Zac Swanson was a bad take and a wasted scholarship is now suggesting that IDL recruiting has been a failure becuase the staff has been selective and looked for good fits as opposed to throwing bodies at the position so we'd have more bodies. "Zac Swanson was a bad take. We should definitely take more just like him to fix the problem."

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

OOS is a good thing. I dont think DT and RB recruiting are even remotely close. Choice is getting his #1 options and has gotten it every year (he is just a beast). That has not been the case with DT recruiting. Texas is now forced to take numbers. The talent of the in-state crop is arguably at its 10 year nadir, so they are forced to go out of state. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Still… if his recruiting profile and Texas Sports profile are anywhere close to accurate, Swanson has gained less than 15 pounds after 2 years in a P5 S&C program. 

I get it. He was a lottery ticket, but least buy a lottery ticket that weighs 300 pounds.

He seems like he could be a pretty good edge setting Jack if he stays at his current weight. He had a really high motor and some natural pass rush ability from his senior film, and he has the length you would want at that position. Inevitably there is going to be some attrition and he would be a candidate, but I can see a role for the guy if they aren't insistent on making him a 3 technique. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

OOS is a good thing. I dont think DT and RB recruiting are even remotely close. Choice is getting his #1 options and has gotten it every year (he is just a beast). That has not been the case with DT recruiting. Texas is now forced to take numbers. The talent of the in-state crop is arguably at its 10 year nadir, so they are forced to go out of state. 

Lol, you don’t think Mitchell was a priority last year? He was top of the board and OOS. 

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a load of fucking horseshit, and a weak effort at twisting words to suit your purpose. Fortunately, two can play that game:

So you're saying that you had Zac Swanson pegged as a 1st round draft pick? Hey guys, look at this guy, he thought Zac Swanson was a first round draft pick. 

If you're going to put words in someone's mouth, at least try to make it funny. Now, was Swanson a bad take? Not really, sometimes you need to take bodies. He was literally the last guy in the class, statistically how often do those guys pan out? This is a recuriting forum, the idea is we have the balls to critique and debate recruits, all while being realistic about where we think they end up. We're you standing on a table screaming that Larry Turner Gooden is likely a bad fucking take becuase the guy is probably never going to play an important snap at Texas? Or we should have saved the scholarship? I mean, exactly what is your fucking point there?

Your efforts to spin this as "I'm just agreeing with the coaches" is pretty funny. You have stated that the recruiting is poor, full stop, the end. I think recruiting at the position has been fine, impressive considering the circumstances the program was facing. Would we like some more depth? Sure. But the roster position as it stands is strong, and if we hit on our IDL targets this cycle, which looks pretty fucking likely, it will remain strong. So what exactly is the problem? And lets not pretend you know the minds of the coaches. I don't know if you've noticed, but they seem pretty fucking pleased with the roster and the team in general. 

I felt that way about hyphen, didn’t understand why you’d even bother, then I remembered not to worry about the numbers, figured we’d likely process him and went on with my day. As long as you have the collective will to process the chaff and the chaff isn’t a bad character guy there’s no harm in taking a big body like Swanson and seeing if it will develop. 

1 minute ago, Strat said:

Quite frankly, you want to go out of state for DT. Outside of the elite 5 stars, the ones drafted are 3/4 stars from Florida, LA, GA, Bama, Miss, etc. 

Nobody grows those jumbo athletes quite like the deep south. There are usually a couple of big time dudes in Texas, but this year January seems like he may be the only guy worthy of a take and fortunately he is committed to the good guys. I really like January, I think he is going to be a pretty stout force inside and he has the room to put on another 40 pounds or so and stay mobile. The only guys who are consistently good west of the Rio Grande seems to be the polynesian/pacific islander kids, of which there are some beasts. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Lol, you don’t think Mitchell was a priority last year? He was top of the board and OOS. 

They offered 32 guys last year at DL and took 1. They want more, that is not the same as Choice.  If people dont think missing on players like Turner and Hicks, is part of the reason Texas is here, I do not know what to say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You should take the L and move on. You are seriously outgunned here. BTW some of the "war daddies" Texas pursued previously were simply bought by other programs(in the SEC) pre-NIL. The game has changed, just nod to confirm you understand.

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

You should take the L and move on. You are seriously outgunned here. BTW some of the "war daddies" Texas pursued previously were simply bought by other programs(in the SEC) pre-NIL. The game has changed, just nod to confirm you understand.

Funny. Texas is here, because they got out-gunned for the recruits they wanted, but everything went as planned and they didnt miss on players. That perfectly sums up the board logic on this topic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Christ there are some arrogant motherfuckers on this board. IDL recruiting has been questionable over the last few years, so the question was asked. There were some pretty good answers. Dick-head tones but informative. Chat board success. Do you want to talk about Texas Tech?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Saw three new pages and thought something happened. Fuck all of you, every single one of you assholes, for wasting my last 20 minutes 

you spend hours combing through my posting history.  you’re a moron and your time is useless. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Funny. Texas is here, because they got out-gunned for the recruits they wanted, but everything went as planned and they didnt miss on players. That perfectly sums up the board logic on this topic. 

JFC, we lost 2 interior defensive linemen from last years team, those spots were replaced with Sadir Mitchel and Carter, WTF are you continuing to rant about? It seems you just want to get the last word in..............stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

No one is arguing that DL recruiting could not have been better. We're objecting to your assertion that Davis is essentially failing, the overall recruiting strategy is failing, and nothing about that room is improving. Both Mitchell and Carter are day-one improvements. Davis is developing and at least five of his guys across his first two years back on the 40 are going to get shots at the NFL.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Christ there are some arrogant motherfuckers on this board. IDL recruiting has been questionable over the last few years, so the question was asked. There were some pretty good answers. Dick-head tones but informative. Chat board success. Do you want to talk about Texas Tech?

I wasn't referring to myself as one of the guns but by all means criticize me as it may appear that way, that wasn't my intention. Most think Codaxx is wrong and he won't let it go. That is my point.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

No one is arguing that DL recruiting could not have been better. We're objecting to your assertion that Davis is essentially failing and nothing about that room is improving. Both Mitchell and Carter are day-one improvements. Davis is developing and at least five of his guys across his first two years back on the 40 are going to get shots at the NFL.

I never commented on Bo's coaching and development or he said he is failure. I simply said DT has arguably been the worst recruited position on the team in the Sarkisian era and the fact that staff is taking an out-sized class and a portal player confirms that. I also said 1 class can fix that. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I felt that way about hyphen, didn’t understand why you’d even bother, then I remembered not to worry about the numbers, figured we’d likely process him and went on with my day. As long as you have the collective will to process the chaff and the chaff isn’t a bad character guy there’s no harm in taking a big body like Swanson and seeing if it will develop. 

Gooden was a guy we recruited all cycle, and he was fine enough of a take, particularly for where we were as a program. The funny part was that as Sark got his legs under him, he went during the same cycle as a guy we really wanted, to a guy on the lower end of the talent perspective. By the end of the class, he was not as big a priority, but he was at the outset. As has been illustrated here, it's almost like circumstances began to change and we were able to recruit better talent at the position than we could previously. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

image.gif.b21c18da16709c8cde2cac751600dbfd.gif

Codaxx is being weapon grade Codaxx. He’s being overly literal, moving goalposts, didactic, tedious, and voluminous. He’s impersonating a modern version of rpongett and I’m fine with it versus watching him and others work the spin cycle of the 2022 UT-Tech game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Texas, for the first time in its history, is actually recruiting talent at a National level, from places like Florida and IMG Academy, and Mater Dei in Cali, among others. We are pulling elite talent from Louisiana. This obsession with "in-state recruits" is just fucking bizarre and very out of date. We just signed the #1 RB in the country from Florida. That was a dream scenario 20 years ago, let alone 4....there is no question that the roster that Sark has assembled, through recruiting and the portal, at nearly every position, has as much upside as we have ever seen. Outside of a Collin Simmons type impact Edge, this roster has talented depth at every level. For the first time in well over a decade, we have an OL that doesn't instantly create the gag reflex. "It's a very tall ask." Jesus Christ man....get ahold of yourself.

The only thing really holding this team back is game-day acumen from the head man, and that is still an open debate (and meant for the football board). But this is easily the best overall roster Texas has had since Butterteeth was seal-clapping on the sidelines.

"First time in history?" Come on. Over 50% of our 2019 class (ranked #3 in the country at the time) came from OOS, and it was a complete disaster. Guys like Jake Smith, Watson, Washington, Adimora, Liebrock, etc. that all had ironclad offer lists and were wanted by many of the big programs. No one's 'obsessed' with in-state recruits, but the fact is that OOS guys are generally tougher and riskier evals. The TXHSFB coaching connections aren't there, there's less familiarity, and there's always the risk that influences from home pull them back (see McCoy and Smith), now magnified by the portal. A class where the blue-chip signees are mostly from OOS and the lower-ranked signees are from in-state carries a lot of risk despite looking good on paper. The fact that we signed so few of the top in-state recruits in the 2019 class was a significant factor in its failure.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

"First time in history?" Come on. Over 50% of our 2019 class (ranked #3 in the country at the time) came from OOS, and it was a complete disaster. Guys like Jake Smith, Watson, Washington, Adimora, Liebrock, etc. that all had ironclad offer lists and were wanted by many of the big programs. No one's 'obsessed' with in-state recruits, but the fact is that OOS guys are generally tougher and riskier evals. The TXHSFB coaching connections aren't there, there's less familiarity, and there's always the risk that influences from home pull them back (see McCoy and Smith), now magnified by the portal. A class where the blue-chip signees are mostly from OOS and the lower-ranked signees are from in-state carries a lot of risk despite looking good on paper. The fact that we signed so few of the top in-state recruits in the 2019 class was a significant factor in its failure.

There is a difference though.  They had to go out of state in 2019 because Herman had alienated the majority of players/coaches in the state.  Then he continued to suck ass at evaluations....

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

It's amazing that the program has survived missing out on the incredible careers of Baylor Cupp, Marcel Brooks, Theo Wease, Scooby Carter, Branson Bragg, and Dylan Wright.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Codaxx is being weapon grade Codaxx. He’s being overly literal, moving goalposts, didactic, tedious, and voluminous. He’s impersonating a modern version of rpongett and I’m fine with it versus watching him and others work the spin cycle of the 2022 UT-Tech game. 

dd0495f8-07a9-4aee-91a9-3cd754ce5eb5_text.gif

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Goddamnit. I was just thinking how nice it was that no one in this thread had used that phrase. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Once again....Jesus Fucking Christ. Or Fricking christ for the aggy lurkers. 

I Will Survive Jesus GIF by hoppip

Rule #2: Probably don't cowtow to Aggie lurkers on a Texas board. 

In case anyone wondering, Rule #1 is don't quote Randolph Duke or football board regulars. Rule #3 is stop being idiotic pussies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, for anyone complaining about the content of this thread this morning, well, I am willing to offer you an alternative option to what inevitably will be the biggest page turner since Moby Dick, Wuthering Heights, or maybe some class assigned tome on Organic Chemistry or Non-Creative Accounting:

image.png.d214f483b97ed4df16e7927af693881e.png

I'm sure there are more painful things in this world than reading about Ian Boyd dissecting the heights and weights of a bunch of 18-22 year old men, but I have to tell you, it's going to be a challenge. Maybe the Tex Pete/Codaxx kazoo thing someone else mentioned earlier. 

• Haha 7
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also, for anyone complaining about the content of this thread this morning, well, I am willing to offer you an alternative option to what inevitably will be the biggest page turner since Moby Dick, Wuthering Heights, or maybe some class assigned tome on Organic Chemistry or Non-Creative Accounting:

image.png.d214f483b97ed4df16e7927af693881e.png

I'm sure there are more painful things in this world than reading about Ian Boyd dissecting the heights and weights of a bunch of 18-22 year old men, but I have to tell you, it's going to be a challenge. Maybe the Tex Pete/Codaxx kazoo thing someone else mentioned earlier. 

Fuck yourself.

• Haha 6

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls