Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gipson and Robinson are at least entertaining.  You have 9.95ers that are sticking to their guns all the way to the last second. Hope Gipson works out like Robinson 

19 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Always a good sign.

I think this coupled with IT sending someone to cover the commitment ceremony tells you how confident they are. 

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.png.7a04537192ee647f1a500d49292aecae.png

(The guy in this image actually looks like Roach ... 😂  😂  😂 .)

Mike Roach - 247.

image.thumb.png.5bc26dd68dc82370ba1895f09dc57398.png

image.thumb.png.bb5f033e5d20876bf314a18a0c6363de.pngimage.thumb.png.74b640e17ee37fe588bf5c1d04da45fd.png

image.thumb.png.a2f2b9a1a8963020b3832a72953f9f5d.png

And of course, if he commits we will hear the cascade of "Texas dropped a bag at the last minute" posts, when in reality, Roach is just an out of touch schmuck. 

Edited by Vertigo

Sounds like one that might be a flip candidate down the road for either team. Thought I read that Clemson was the kid’s dream school growing up. That can be tough to overcome. Family wanting him to stay close to home is also tough to over come the closer it gets to signing day. 

3 hours ago, goathumper said:

If Zina didnt have a brother already on campus would Texas really be recruiting him?

Maybe its the Nate Kibble highlights?  I want to say it was Gerry who pointed out Kibble was smoking Zina on a few plays.  

Nahlin on Gipson

247's infallible deity Steve Wiltfong has put in a prediction for Corian Gipson to commit to Clemson. Gipson doesn't announce until tomorrow afternoon so this is early by Wiltfong standards.

Wiltfong's last minute prediction track record is notable and worth consideration -- I fully grant that -- but as of this writing, Gipson has not told Texas his intentions one way or the other and communication continues daily. If it's out there that Gipson has told Texas he's not going there that's flat wrong. About as wrong as saying Ohio State is in the top two.

I'm not changing my pick but the IT team will continue working this one throughout the day. I hope to have another update today or this evening.

I will have no problem taking the L before the decision if it comes to that. We always own our reporting.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on Gipson

247's infallible deity Steve Wiltfong has put in a prediction for Corian Gipson to commit to Clemson. Gipson doesn't announce until tomorrow afternoon so this is early by Wiltfong standards.

Wiltfong's last minute prediction track record is notable and worth consideration -- I fully grant that -- but as of this writing, Gipson has not told Texas his intentions one way or the other and communication continues daily. If it's out there that Gipson has told Texas he's not going there that's flat wrong. About as wrong as saying Ohio State is in the top two.

I'm not changing my pick but the IT team will continue working this one throughout the day. I hope to have another update today or this evening.

I will have no problem taking the L before the decision if it comes to that. We always own our reporting.

That's a confidence of 6 ?? Sounds like he's playing the powerball.. 

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on Gipson

Nahlin is laughably insecure. It's always fun to read him worked up because somebody with more credibility has shown up and taken a position counter to his own. Clemson reporters are intimating that Gipson called and told the Clemson coaches that he's in. I don't know whether that is true or not, but that would certainly lead to Wiltfong putting his pick in, since his sources are usually assistants on various staffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

In response to the Fong CB, Gipson supposedly tweeted "cap", and then deleted the tweet.

By such slender ... ah ... THREADS, do our hopes hang.

Sigh.

I’d say that kind of response means the opposite. He saw Fong spoil his decision and wanted to keep up the suspense. If he was going to Texas he would have stayed silent and let Fong be wrong.

He gone.

5 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

https://lionsports.net/sports/football/roster/grant--tisdale/9117

man EJ thought Tisdale was the future and Texas coaches were idiots to not take him. 

EJ was also bad at his job. 

What's this past tense shit? Are you udner the impression that EJ is now something other than bad at his job?

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

image.png.7a04537192ee647f1a500d49292aecae.png

(The guy in this image actually looks like Roach ... 😂  😂  😂 .)

The only way this guy looks like Mike Roach would be if Mike Roach was cut in half by a pendulum. Otherwise every white guy with black hair and a beard on this planet would qualify as looking like Mike Roach. 

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Sounds like one that might be a flip candidate down the road for either team. Thought I read that Clemson was the kid’s dream school growing up. That can be tough to overcome. Family wanting him to stay close to home is also tough to over come the closer it gets to signing day. 

"Dream school" seems tough to overcome unless that kid's dream school was Texas. 

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on Gipson

That is some weapon's grade pettiness right there. 

(Justin Wells) Humidor: Texas' standing with priority 2024 targets with decisions and visits looming, late July visitors

This edition of the Humidor is star-studded and includes the latest intel on five-star prospects, last-minute details ahead of a Saturday decision from a high four-star defensive back, and other notes on recruits making their way to Austin in late July.

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas)
The Five-Star Plus+ prospect hinted at a potential announcement date this week, then set an unofficial to LSU for next weekend. The Tigers are the only school guaranteed to get the No. 1 EDGE in the country on campus. Texas A&M was originally scheduled, but that is not locked in as of Thursday. This recruitment is headed to being a Texas versus LSU decision, where it was always expected to end up. Texas stills holds the momentum since his official visit in late June. But this was always going to be a bumpy ride. Just hang on.

Brandon Baker, OL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
The Longhorns continue to be right there in the battle for the five-star right tackle prospect. There is a chance the 6-foot-4.5, 300-pounder doesn’t go to Oregon the last weekend in July. That would obviously be positive news for Texas. Texas, Oregon, and Ohio State are the three schools that a decision is expected to come from. With that said, Nebraska and Tennessee are attempting to make big runs leading up to August. Inside Texas expects a decision before the season, or early in the season at the latest. Obviously, Baker’s timeline has moved throughout the summer.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana
With three defensive tackles now in the 2024 class, Texas can focus and prioritize on a select few with potentially one spot left in the cycle. Of course, McKinley could also be a numbers buster, especially after Bo Davis took one just in 2023 in Sydir MItchell. He says his timeline for a decision is in January during the Under Armour All-America Game. But that could move up to before the season if his family gets their wish. The Longhorns are battling against Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and LSU for the Pelican State prospect. The next key question when looking at McKinley’s recruitment is if he will be on campus anywhere next weekend. LSU would love to get him on campus the 27th or 28th.

Corian Gipson, DB, Lancaster (Texas)
With his announcement just over 24 hours away, the Metroplex four-star with 25+ offers has narrowed his focus to three schools: Texas, Ohio State, and Clemson. In reality, it’s really down to the Horns and Tigers. There’s a good amount of confidence coming out of Austin and Clemson. Both staffs have been exceptional at building the relationship. Inside Texas remains with On3 RPMs pointed toward the Longhorns winning out Saturday at 4 p.m. at Lancaster High School.

TJ Lindsey, DL, IMG Academy via Bryant (Ark.)
The 6-foot-4, 268-pounder continues to trend toward a Texas versus Auburn decision. The Longhorns have been in constant communication with the four-star, including after yesterday’s D’antre Robinson commitment. Inside Texas believes Lindsey truly likes the idea of being a University of Texas student-athlete, as does his family. Auburn is absolutely all-in on this recruitment. One high school coach close to Lindsey thought Auburn would eventually be the choice as of early in the week. With that said, Texas continues to have a legitimate chance in this one. A decision remains expected prior to Lindsey’s senior season.

July 29 visitors list (new names added)

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair #AllGasNoBrakes

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy #AllGasNoBrakes

Freddie Dubose, WR, San Antonio (Texas) Smithson Valley #AllGasNoBrakes

KJ Lacey, QB, Saraland (Ala.) – 2025 #AllGasNoBrakes

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – 2025 (July 25th)

Marcus Harris, WR, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – 2025 (July 25th)

Shaun Scott, LB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – 2026 (July 25th) - “Texas is a great school, this is my first time there,” said Scott. “(Texas) wants me down at the school first.”

David Sanders, OT, Charlotte (N.C.) Providence Day School – 2025

Cobey Sellers, CB, Alvin (Texas) Shadow Creek – 2025 - The rising defensive back’s recruitment really took off after a strong spring and summer of camps and visits. The former TAPPS state champion quarterback was impressive at a Houston-based camp last week. His offer list continues to grow.

London Smith, ATH, Waco (Texas) University – 2026

Kayden Dixon-Wyatt, WR, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – 2026 (July 25th)

Gerry Hamilton co-authored this article

5 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Roach sure seems to post a lot more on recruits leaning away from Texas. Dude needs to go work for DCTF already.

LOL.  He can hang out with whomever continues to pick UTSA as one of the top 1 or 2 football teams in the state each year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on Gipson

Here I was thinking that Florida guy from yesterday was doing a damn good Nahlin/Harris reenactment. Now I see I was taking Eric for granted.

• Haha 2

I’d say that kind of response means the opposite. He saw Fong spoil his decision and wanted to keep up the suspense. If he was going to Texas he would have stayed silent and let Fong be wrong.
He gone.

Maybe he was just being honest about it being a lie, but then he realized that college football message board posters on this site would interpret his tweet this way so he quickly deleted it to trick college football message board posters on the other school’s site!

3 minutes ago, Drifterwood said:

Maybe he was just being honest about it being a lie, but then he realized that college football message board posters on this site would interpret his tweet this way so he quickly deleted it to trick college football message board posters on the other school’s site!

princess bride drinking game - Imgflip

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Oh well. At least we got Robinson this week. If you like smaller college towns where everything revolves around the football program, then Clemson is a good place to be. 

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Well, the kid likes Clemson. Can’t fault a guy for doing what he wants to do. Hope he has a great college career and achieves his goals (while Clemson fails) It is what it is. Next.

You guys are doing this all wrong. It's supposed to be, "We don't want him anyway because he's too scared to compete in the SEC." Have you learned nothing from the aggie screenshot megathread?

• Haha 8

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls