Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Spoiler

In-state prospects to monitor as potential senior evaluation candidates for Texas

Hudson Standish

After a strong slate of official visits the Texas Longhorns have 15 commits in the boat for their 2024 class good for the No. 20 spot in the country. Plenty of priority targets will come off the board heading into the 2023 football season, while a select few will opt to take their recruiting process into the season. We have a clear idea of the current recruiting board for the 2024 cycle, but the first two recruiting cycles under Steve Sarkisian showed us that the Longhorns' staff won't hesitate to circle back on prospects after standout senior seasons.

In the 2022 class Texas made a splash with late-riser Ethan Burke who has a chance to start for the Longhorns this year flipping the former lacrosse standout from Michigan the day before National Signing Day. Along with Burke, Texas made two savvy late pushes for DFW metroplex recruits Savion Red and X'Avion Brice in December. For the 2023 cycle, Waco Connally's Jelani McDonald was a potential senior eval candidate that Mike and I talked up quite a bit heading into the season and the (at the time) Oklahoma State commit earned an offer in early October. McDonald would finish as the No. 51 player in the nation and No. 7-ranked prospect in the state of Texas according to 247Sports. Texas would also secure a late commitment from Red Oak's Warren Roberson and barely missed out on flipping Top247 tight end Ka'Morreun Pimpton from Vanderbilt, losing the stud tight end to LSU after a hard fought battle ahead of National Signing Day.

With that being said, let's take a look at ten in-state prospects that I could realistically see the Longhorns pursuing heavily depending on how senior seasons shake out.

— Ashton Bethel-Roman, WR, Fort Bend Ridge Point (Committed to Arkansas)

Heading into the spring Bethel-Roman was a player I had circled as a likely offer due to his extensive track and field production, smooth play style, NFL bloodlines, and solid junior year production. ABR is the highest-ranked player on this list at No. 92 in the country according to 247Sports.

— Roger Gradney, ATH, Altair Rice Consolidated (Committed to Nebraska)

Gradney was squarely on the Texas radar heading into last season but missed the majority of his junior season due to injury. The Top247 prospect and second highest-ranked player on this list could easily reemerge on the Longhorns' linebacker board if he shows the same dynamic athleticism that made him a top 150 prospect after his sophomore season.

— Cheta Ofili, EDGE, Sacshe (Committed to Texas Tech)

Ofili was one of the most impressive prospects in attendance of the Under Armour Dallas Camp in March and the Top247 edge rusher is the third highest-ranked player on this list. While Ofili's junior tape isn't on the same level as some other EDGE prospects currently on the board, he has one of the highest ceilings in-state for the 2024 cycle and could easily put it all together this fall and become a nationally coveted recruit.

— Jacob Ponton, OT, Dripping Springs (Committed to Texas Tech)

Ponton is the second Texas Tech commit on the list and is a prospect that Kyle Flood is currently "keeping warm" ahead of the 2023 season. The Dripping Springs product camped at Texas in early June and is probably the most likely player on this list to earn an offer if they have a good senior campaign.

— Dontae Carter, S, Cibolo Steele (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Here is an excerpt from my "Five TXHSFB prospects that could turn into draft day gems" article from April, before Carter was ranked by any service:

"Outlook: Owning a share of the single-season interception record at Cibolo Steele is a surefire way to see your recruitment take off. For 6-foot-2, 175 pound safety Dontae Carter that is exactly what he did during the 2022 season racking up seven INTs in only 12 games for the Knights. In addition to Carter's insane production at a school that has produced multiple NFL defensive backs, the unranked safety also self-reports a 79-inch wingspan which if accurate would improve his stock tremendously. A lack of verified speed markers could hurt Carter with rankings services and schools but for now I'm not too worried about that factor of his game. Carter is not ranked by any service but he currently holds six offers including Tulane and Vandy."

The Vanderbilt commit is on Blake Gideon's radar. Carter would be my No. 1 choice for an offer if I had the keys to the castle.

— Peyton Morgan, S, Pflugerville Weiss (Committed to Texas Tech)

Morgan was extremely impressive against DeSoto in the first round of the playoffs in my only live evaluation during the 2022 season and has the size, speed, production, and overall athleticism to be a breakout star as a senior.

— Chima Chineke, EDGE, Plano East (Committed to Iowa)

The Hawkeyes are known for their superb defensive evals and got an absolute steal in Chineke who has one of the more impressive athletic profiles of any defender in-state for the 2024 class. Chineke will have show improved production as a senior for the Longhorns to get involved.

— Braylen Prude, LB, Alvin Shadow Creek (Committed to Nebraska)

Jordan mentioned Prude as a senior evaluation candidate the other day and I think it's a pretty good shout considering the Nebraska commit checks the size, speed, and length requirements for linebacker. Prude is still pretty raw at this stage and would likely need to see an immense jump in play for Texas to offer, I felt like he was worth a shout considering the immense athletic upside.

And from the thread following this note:

image.thumb.png.a56027c5c17e14907b6eeab9dd2b0430.png

Note - both Ponton and Morgan are committed to Texas Tech.  We should flip them, just for the lulz.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

In-state prospects to monitor as potential senior evaluation candidates for Texas

Hudson Standish

After a strong slate of official visits the Texas Longhorns have 15 commits in the boat for their 2024 class good for the No. 20 spot in the country. Plenty of priority targets will come off the board heading into the 2023 football season, while a select few will opt to take their recruiting process into the season. We have a clear idea of the current recruiting board for the 2024 cycle, but the first two recruiting cycles under Steve Sarkisian showed us that the Longhorns' staff won't hesitate to circle back on prospects after standout senior seasons.

In the 2022 class Texas made a splash with late-riser Ethan Burke who has a chance to start for the Longhorns this year flipping the former lacrosse standout from Michigan the day before National Signing Day. Along with Burke, Texas made two savvy late pushes for DFW metroplex recruits Savion Red and X'Avion Brice in December. For the 2023 cycle, Waco Connally's Jelani McDonald was a potential senior eval candidate that Mike and I talked up quite a bit heading into the season and the (at the time) Oklahoma State commit earned an offer in early October. McDonald would finish as the No. 51 player in the nation and No. 7-ranked prospect in the state of Texas according to 247Sports. Texas would also secure a late commitment from Red Oak's Warren Roberson and barely missed out on flipping Top247 tight end Ka'Morreun Pimpton from Vanderbilt, losing the stud tight end to LSU after a hard fought battle ahead of National Signing Day.

With that being said, let's take a look at ten in-state prospects that I could realistically see the Longhorns pursuing heavily depending on how senior seasons shake out.

Heading into the spring Bethel-Roman was a player I had circled as a likely offer due to his extensive track and field production, smooth play style, NFL bloodlines, and solid junior year production. ABR is the highest-ranked player on this list at No. 92 in the country according to 247Sports.

Gradney was squarely on the Texas radar heading into last season but missed the majority of his junior season due to injury. The Top247 prospect and second highest-ranked player on this list could easily reemerge on the Longhorns' linebacker board if he shows the same dynamic athleticism that made him a top 150 prospect after his sophomore season.

Ofili was one of the most impressive prospects in attendance of the Under Armour Dallas Camp in March and the Top247 edge rusher is the third highest-ranked player on this list. While Ofili's junior tape isn't on the same level as some other EDGE prospects currently on the board, he has one of the highest ceilings in-state for the 2024 cycle and could easily put it all together this fall and become a nationally coveted recruit.

Ponton is the second Texas Tech commit on the list and is a prospect that Kyle Flood is currently "keeping warm" ahead of the 2023 season. The Dripping Springs product camped at Texas in early June and is probably the most likely player on this list to earn an offer if they have a good senior campaign.

Here is an excerpt from my "Five TXHSFB prospects that could turn into draft day gems" article from April, before Carter was ranked by any service:

"Outlook: Owning a share of the single-season interception record at Cibolo Steele is a surefire way to see your recruitment take off. For 6-foot-2, 175 pound safety Dontae Carter that is exactly what he did during the 2022 season racking up seven INTs in only 12 games for the Knights. In addition to Carter's insane production at a school that has produced multiple NFL defensive backs, the unranked safety also self-reports a 79-inch wingspan which if accurate would improve his stock tremendously. A lack of verified speed markers could hurt Carter with rankings services and schools but for now I'm not too worried about that factor of his game. Carter is not ranked by any service but he currently holds six offers including Tulane and Vandy."

The Vanderbilt commit is on Blake Gideon's radar. Carter would be my No. 1 choice for an offer if I had the keys to the castle.

Morgan was extremely impressive against DeSoto in the first round of the playoffs in my only live evaluation during the 2022 season and has the size, speed, production, and overall athleticism to be a breakout star as a senior.

The Hawkeyes are known for their superb defensive evals and got an absolute steal in Chineke who has one of the more impressive athletic profiles of any defender in-state for the 2024 class. Chineke will have show improved production as a senior for the Longhorns to get involved.

Jordan mentioned Prude as a senior evaluation candidate the other day and I think it's a pretty good shout considering the Nebraska commit checks the size, speed, and length requirements for linebacker. Prude is still pretty raw at this stage and would likely need to see an immense jump in play for Texas to offer, I felt like he was worth a shout considering the immense athletic upside.

Note - both Ponton and Morgan are committed to Texas Tech.  We should flip them, just for the lulz.

Chima and Cheta would make a pretty good all name edge duo.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

Hudson Standish

I love this kind of info. Back in the day, I would memorize DCTF trying to find info on under the radar guys.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Sigh. It's a shame Oak Ridge sucks so hard that their athletes feel football is their ticket to getting very very far away.

It's also such a shame Texas Football has sucked so hard since 2010 that many elite high school recruits from Texas feel the need to attend a program very far away.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

It's also such a shame Texas Football has sucked so hard since 2010 that many elite high school recruits from Texas feel the need to attend a program very far away.

The Oak Ridge duo were flat out uninterested in anything regional. JJA sort of flirted with OU but other than that we'd need to be championship regulars to even be in the conversation.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

It's also a shame that Smart has cheated so successfully that it has reinvigorated their donors to spend even more money.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

Hudson Standish

The Nebraska defensive evaluations and the Iowa defensive evaluation are guys that Texas should be all over. I haven't seen any of them, and I don't need to see them in order to know that they project well at the next level. Rhule and Ferentz know how to project ends and LBs. They also know the mental side of the evaluation and I guarantee you all three of those players are tough motherfuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Nebraska defensive evaluations and the Iowa defensive evaluation are guys that Texas should be all over. I haven't seen any of them, and I don't need to see them in order to know that they project well at the next level. Rhule and Ferentz know how to project ends and LBs. They also know the mental side of the evaluation and I guarantee you all three of those players are tough motherfuckers. 

Chima, the edge from Plano East committed to Iowa, looks the part and shows good athleticism on the field.

39 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It’s a shame we’re no longer talking about Charleston.

I hear Archie and the whole Manning clan were in Charleston for 4th of July house shopping on Folly Beach near the cheese shop, two roads down from the hotel drapes and blind warehouse.    

Eric Nahlin: Texas' July visit approach makes sense given context

So many policies have gone in UT’s recruiting favor in recent years: The portal, NIL, the move to the SEC, lack of restrictions on class numbers, etc. One aspect that seemingly hasn’t gone UT’s way is the late July open recruiting week. Between the last official visit weekend of June and the last week of July, recruiting is in a dead period. Then, for one final week before practice starts in August, the NCAA allows recruits to visit college campuses. Texas prefers to use that week, the week we’re currently in, to host current commits and recruits in the class ahead, in this instance the 2025 class. Meanwhile, many other schools are getting high profile uncommitted 2024 targets on campus. I may be missing a few, but let’s take a look at some of those high profile recruits Texas is chasing.

DL Dominick McKinley
On3 Industry Ranking: 96.83, No. 23 in the country

June official visits: Texas, Ohio State, A&M, and Oklahoma

This week: LSU. He hasn’t been to LSU since April. If he moves up his timeline, as we have suspected, it stands to reason he would want to see the in-state Tigers once more.

Edge Colin Simmons
On3 Industry Ranking: 98.58, No. 5 in the country

June official visits: Texas, Alabama, and SMU

This week: LSU, likely A&M. Simmons’ official visit to LSU was scheduled way off in the distance for the Florida game in November. It stands to reason if he wanted to decide before his senior year he’d see his original favorite again. He hasn’t been to LSU since April. He hasn’t been to A&M since early April.

Edge Danny Okoye
On3 Industry Ranking: 91.56, No. 190 in the country (A truly ‘yikes’ rating)

June official visits: Texas (he did take an unofficial visit to Tennessee)

This week: Alabama, maybe Oklahoma. Okoye is in Tuscaloosa now. That’s his first visit to Alabama. Oklahoma is an easy trip for the Tulsa native.

WR Ryan Wingo
On3 Industry Ranking: 96.66, No. 24 in the country

June official visits: Texas and Missouri

This week: Tennessee, Missouri, and A&M. Missouri is close to home so that’s an easy visit to make. He was last at Tennessee in May and A&M in January. Purely speculating, but perhaps this busy week is a sign he’s moving up his timeline. That could be a good thing for Texas but anytime Tennessee and A&M are mentioned you have to wonder about fast food in the case of Tennessee and the extreme recruiting outlier of 2022 for A&M.

CB Kobe Black
On3 Industry Ranking: 96.66, No. 25 in the country

June official visits: Texas and Oklahoma

This week: Texas A&M. He hasn’t been to A&M since January. Probably the more important visit is his official visit to LSU in early September.

CB Wardell Mack
On3 Industry Ranking: 93.94, No. 71 in the country

June official visits: Texas, Florida, and Florida State

This week: LSU, maybe Florida. I don’t even know the last time he was at LSU. Maybe October? If he makes the Florida visit that will definitely be worth watching as he was just there. That might be his personal favorite while others close to him prefer Texas.

What I believe we’re seeing this cycle, more than any sort of poor planning on Texas’ part, is recruits who are speeding up their timeline after originally planning visits during the season. In some instances, they’re trying to make up for lost time with other schools after recently seeing Texas. When I wrote about recruiting tug-o-war, this week is what I had in mind. The schools in particular scratching and clawing for visits didn’t receive June official visits. I don’t think we should be surprised Texas is taking the approach it has. Yes, it would be ideal for Colin Simmons to return to Texas this week. It would also be ideal if he already committed. To get some kids over the line, you have to let them extinguish their visits so they feel comfortable making a decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

It does make sense that these kids are going to places they haven't been to in months and not Texas, where they just were a month ago. 

The timelines shifting is an interesting wrinkle as well. If a kid is wanting to move up his timeline and then popped up on Texas' campus twice in the span of a month, it would probably give away the direction of their recruitment. 

Dead horse beater, here.  I've spent a lot of time in Charleston for work.  It's great if you are a tourist or wealthy enough to live near downtown.  Otherwise, meh.  If you like to ride bikes and are in the outlying areas, make sure you have plenty of life insurance.  The city itself is a blueish dot surrounded by a seething red ocean of ex-Ohioans and Northeasterners.  Wages for most people are absolute crap compared to most of the country.  I know, CR that way and you are sorry I am poor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Dead horse beater, here.  I've spent a lot of time in Charleston for work.  It's great if you are a tourist or wealthy enough to live near downtown.  Otherwise, meh.  If you like to ride bikes and are in the outlying areas, make sure you have plenty of life insurance.  The city itself is a blueish dot surrounded by a seething red ocean of ex-Ohioans and Northeasterners.  Wages for most people are absolute crap compared to most of the country.  I know, CR that way and you are sorry I am poor.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47p1xaxlbzj45zf76c44

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The Oak Ridge duo were flat out uninterested in anything regional. JJA sort of flirted with OU but other than that we'd need to be championship regulars to even be in the conversation.

Definitely true in their context.

Overall, Sark righting the ship this season would certainly begin to assuage the issue.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

WR Ryan Wingo
On3 Industry Ranking: 96.66, No. 24 in the country

June official visits: Texas and Missouri

This week: Tennessee, Missouri, and A&M. Missouri is close to home so that’s an easy visit to make. He was last at Tennessee in May and A&M in January. Purely speculating, but perhaps this busy week is a sign he’s moving up his timeline. That could be a good thing for Texas but anytime Tennessee and A&M are mentioned you have to wonder about fast food in the case of Tennessee and the extreme recruiting outlier of 2022 for A&M.

This is one of the most unsubtle call outs I can remember from IT.  Most of the time it seems like the recruiting industry dances around this for fear of upsetting someone.

55 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

spacer.png

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Davis Lane said:

cat-infographic-fa.jpg?quality=85&preferKate-Beckinsale-Clapback-Over-Instagram-

I'd take her to on a nice bike ride to the outskirts of Charleston, pay the initial premiums on our new life insurance polices using my paltry wages, and then show her what 473 taste buds look like. If you know what I mean.

Edited by derpyhorndog
Sorry for the off topic. Thought this was the travel forum.

6 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

I'd take her to on a nice bike ride to the outskirts of Charleston, pay the initial premiums on our new life insurance polices using my paltry wages, and then show her what 473 taste buds look like. If you know what I mean.

image.png.4650517d9c4d5551b2525059fdde595b.png

3 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

What’s the story on Orgy errr Ory Williams? Looks like a solid frame. From San Marcos. Were we never interested?

He's a Louisiana move-in (or at least his family is), and we've tried to slow play him while LSU went in hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls