Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

55 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I have a hard time seeing Crawford beat out Marquise Goodwin when he can't beat out Michael Taaf

As for Collins, backup college DTs who fail to live up to their high school rankings don't have a storied history in the NFL.

Is it your contention that Collins won’t get drafted if he leaves this year?   Because that’s what the claim was and the idiotic response to it was. 
also/ I forget- Does Crawford start special teams?  Oh yeah- and gets mentioned as the best in the NCAA at that position. Which was what the contention was that he might get picked in the 7th round. Which, you know, has nothing to do with if he can beat out Westlake Whitey for safety. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is it your contention that Collins won’t get drafted if he leaves this year?   Because that’s what the claim was and the idiotic response to it was. 
also/ I forget- Does Crawford start special teams?  Oh yeah- and gets mentioned as the best in the NCAA at that position. Which was what the contention was that he might get picked in the 7th round. Which, you know, has nothing to do with if he can beat out Westlake Whitey for safety. 

No my contention is that Collins was an average lineman in the Big 12 and second string on his own team and whether he gets drafted on potential is unimportant to my life and his tenure at Texas has been largely irrelevant.

And Crawford sucks as a football player and anyone who keeps a special teams spot for him in the NFL is most likely a dumbass. And as a UT fan, I could not care any less whether he gets drafted by a team in the NFL. All I'll do is shrug and move on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bevo said:

No my contention is that Collins was an average lineman in the Big 12 and second string on his own team and whether he gets drafted on potential is unimportant to my life and his tenure at Texas has been largely irrelevant.

And Crawford sucks as a football player and anyone who keeps a special teams spot for him in the NFL is most likely a dumbass. And as a UT fan, I could not care any less whether he gets drafted by a team in the NFL. All I'll do is shrug and move on.

I mostly agree with this take. 

The $9.95ers and the WuLaws continuing to think Collins would be on anyone’s radar before the 6th round has fascinated me. I don’t get it. He’s not going to get rave reviews from his coach, his film has flashes between deserts of wasted plays, and his measurables can only take him so far. 

As to Kitan Crawford, I am open for business on the betting side with that one. Name your dollar figure and I am in if you think he’s getting drafted in the 2024 draft. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Were we in it with x before he committed to Florida?

We didn't even offer until October.  Honestly would love to know more of the backstory there because we made this harder on ourselves than it had to be. At least the Florida screenshots make up for it.

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As to Kitan Crawford, I am open for business on the betting side with that one. Name your dollar figure and I am in if you think he’s getting drafted in the 2024 draft. 

Let me be clear here, I think he may get a job in the NFL but via a UDFA deal - not by getting drafted lol

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Wait, we are actually discussing if Crawford gets drafted? And this is not a joke? I hope people  realize really good college players are undrafted free agents sometimes. Really shitty college players are not getting drafted. 

Never underestimate the ego of an NFL personnel guy. Plenty of shitty college players have been drafted. For instance, Matt Cassel was drafted. That said, it isn’t a good idea to bet on it happening with any one particular player.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Warning:  These posts may cause priapism.)

Florida fans, they're smart.  And prescient.

Gators 247, Filsaime thread.

image.thumb.png.d6df14668ebace4078d3148543372ea2.png

(This title now belongs to someone else ... 😂  😂  😂 .)

image.thumb.png.6aa60438e99721fe0a2c576f96238738.png

image.thumb.png.7f47eb45468c62fb0ab81da3f44bc2f8.png

I wanna enjoy the gator tears but this is giving me flash backs from a decade of emotional abuse Texas football has inflicted on me.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Never underestimate the ego of an NFL personnel guy. Plenty of shitty college players have been drafted. For instance, Matt Cassel was drafted. That said, it isn’t a good idea to bet on it happening with any one particular player.  

Matt Cassel had a 14 year career as a 7th round pick.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Matt Cassel had a 14 year career as a 7th round pick.

Indeed, he did. When referencing a player to prove a point, you have to pick a player that people actually remember. It’s the same reason recruits are constantly compared to great players coming out of high school when giving comps. Just because Cassel lasted 14 years in the league, it doesn’t change his shitty college career.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The $9.95ers and the WuLaws continuing to think Collins would be on anyone’s radar before the 6th round has fascinated me. I don’t get it. He’s not going to get rave reviews from his coach, his film has flashes between deserts of wasted plays, and his measurables can only take him so far. 

We were talking about who is getting drafted dude. I said Collins will for sure. Literally, nothing beyond that as to his quality, his ability at UT, whether or not that hurts Bevos feelings or if he cares whether he gets drafters,  nor anything else, just that he’s getting drafted if he goes. 
I said 10.5 on the o/u (provided Brooks/Jt/AD/worthy go pro). Put a gun to my head and make me guarantee a number and it’s 10, but that’s not a fun over under. I’ve got a shot at P, Robinson, Whittington and Crawford having 1 team like them and it’s an over. At a minimum those guys will all sign contracts and be in an nfl camp, so it’s not like it’s nuts that some team uses a 7th round pick on a guy they like as a special teammer. Or maybe he ends up on a roster as an UDFA or something. Maybe he gets cut.  None of that detracts from the overall point that we are putting double figure guys in the nfl this year and that’s gonna be really good for recruiting. 

19 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

That said, it isn’t a good idea to bet on it happening with any one particular player.  

Nobody did. I gave 3 guys (and then threw in Whittington) and said there was a chance one of them gets drafted. Thus, setting the over under at 10.5 instead of 10. Because half numbers make O/U bets more fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nobody did. I gave 3 guys (and then threw in Whittington) and said there was a chance one of them gets drafted. Thus, setting the over under at 10.5 instead of 10. Because half numbers make O/U bets more fun. 

I know. I threw the one particular player comment in there in an attempt to differentiate from what you were saying. Much like my attempts at improving my short game and my diet, I came up short.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We were talking about who is getting drafted dude. I said Collins will for sure. Literally, nothing beyond that as to his quality, his ability at UT, whether or not that hurts Bevos feelings or if he cares whether he gets drafters,  nor anything else, just that he’s getting drafted if he goes. 
I said 10.5 on the o/u (provided Brooks/Jt/AD/worthy go pro). Put a gun to my head and make me guarantee a number and it’s 10, but that’s not a fun over under. I’ve got a shot at P, Robinson, Whittington and Crawford having 1 team like them and it’s an over. At a minimum those guys will all sign contracts and be in an nfl camp, so it’s not like it’s nuts that some team uses a 7th round pick on a guy they like as a special teammer. Or maybe he ends up on a roster as an UDFA or something. Maybe he gets cut.  None of that detracts from the overall point that we are putting double figure guys in the nfl this year and that’s gonna be really good for recruiting. 

I don’t know about you, but when I respond to a post, I’m not doing due diligence to determine the entire history of the discussion. Moreover, when multiple people are replying to a single post, I find it difficult to determine the flow of the conversation and as far as I know there isn’t a source to obtain clarification. This means that when you take things as a slight, you do so at the risk of not having the full picture. 

So with regard to Collins, a few days ago, there was talk of him going pro. I find that unwise - not because it will hurt UT - I think he is easily replaceable. I find it dumb because he has never shown much but a few highlights and a lot of lackluster play mixed in with probably pretty meh backing by the coaches. 

I now realize that your point was simply that he will get drafted. To that, maybe he will, maybe he won’t. If he does get drafted it will be on potential and it will be laaate. I would be surprised if it works out for him though because he hasn’t even proven himself at the college level and because the main characteristic and differentiator of longtime NFL vets is the desire to prove themselves.

As for Crawford, I see now that you are saying one of three - Robinson, Crawford, and Whittington will get drafted or picked up as undated free agents. That is far from sticking your neck out and is barely worth mentioning among friends. But Crawford is the least likely of the three. He is pretty bad at his position and special team hopefuls aren’t in great demand.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

(Warning:  These posts may cause priapism.)

Florida fans, they're smart.  And prescient.

Gators 247, Filsaime thread.

image.thumb.png.d6df14668ebace4078d3148543372ea2.png

(This title now belongs to someone else ... 😂  😂  😂 .)

image.thumb.png.6aa60438e99721fe0a2c576f96238738.png

image.thumb.png.7f47eb45468c62fb0ab81da3f44bc2f8.png

I've got to say that I like the quality of comment you get from the Florida board. I've been told it's a solid university. It's reflected in their message board. I look forward having them around. If any Gators are lurking and reading this, you'll find that smart and funny are always welcome here. 

ETA: The quip about Crabtree being the only guy Blake Gideon has ever put in the NFL was stellar.

Stupid and dickheaded find their way here, too. And much surliness.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

image.thumb.png.ff06c2eb79a43c17df0e1aba766cbecd.png

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Alex Dunlap mentioned how his scouting guys always bring up Collins...  Bobby said last week he knows a trainer or someone who knows a trainer that Collins has agreed to work with to get ready for the draft..  I think he should comeback but there's talk that he'll actually get selected so he's gone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is where I am at, and tried to say yesterday. Both of those guys are just not very good at football right now. Collin’s got about 10-15 plays a game in college and people think a NFL team is going to waste a pick on him. As for Crawford, he is a decent gunner, and that is all. There will be dozens of players drafted who can fill that roll and also actually play football. I hope they all get drafted, but I also hope to bed a super model. Neither is probably going to happen.