Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How's he compare to that other legacy, the OL Anderson

Anderson was a .9628 composite.  https://247sports.com/Player/Jack-Anderson-51362/high-school-87548/

Micah Hudson is a .9959 composite. 
https://247sports.com/player/micah-hudson-46114316/

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

From The Athletic's southeastern CFB writer on Ryan Wingo:

Ryan Wingo in no hurry

Five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo said last week that he is in no rush to make a decision. That’s one of the luxuries of being a five-star: Programs will save room in their class.

Wingo visited Georgia and Michigan earlier this month followed by a trip to Texas last weekend. The St. Louis native plans to cap off June with a visit to Missouri.

“My recruitment is still kind of open right now, so obviously from that standpoint, it’s not closed any time soon,” Wingo said. “I think (my) timeline would probably be early signing day.”

Georgia’s appeal is the Bulldogs’ winning culture following consecutive national titles and the opportunity to compete for early playing time. He received a 247Sports “crystal ball” to Georgia in April, which made people assume the Bulldogs would be the pick.

Michigan moved the needle “for sure” earlier this month, though.

“Obviously it’s an OV, so they’re probably supposed to be kind of good, supposed to be kind of great,” Wingo said. “But I think this time, I was actually … I was able to kind of see the campus, get to see everything about Michigan. You got to talk to the players, talk to the coaches, stuff like that. So it was just a fun, fun visit.”

As for Texas, Wingo was quick to point to the Longhorns’ offensive line as a plus, as well as coach Steve Sarkisian’s offense and the way he utilizes wide receivers. Five-star Johntay Cook was an early enrollee in the Class of 2023, becoming the highest-ranked wide receiver to sign with the program since 2000.

“And with Missouri,” Wingo said, “it’s close to home. Another great opportunity to go play. So I think it’s just another good opportunity.”

What’s he looking for?

“Somewhere where I’ll have (opportunities) after football,” he said. “I feel like sometimes some players, they’re good at the school but when something happens, like they get hurt or they have a bad season, they kinda just get thrown under the rug, and I don’t want that. I want to go somewhere where it’s stable.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Very curious to see where we go at LB.  Justin Williams and Tyanthony Smith both look like they’re going out of state and we don’t seem to like any other in-state guys that much.  The staff seems ambivalent on the California guys, Mathudi and House, as well.  Long way til signing day and LB is hardly a position of need after last year’s haul, but I hope we don’t end up with a gap year on the LB depth chart.

How many DB's are we taking? 

I'm not including Moddon so we currently just have Santana Wilson.

We're in on Kobe Black, Corian Gipson, Selman Bridges, Jordon Johnson-Rubell, and Myles Davis. 

CTJ says Wardell Mack is a numbers buster regardless.

I saw on an IT video but Gerry(I think that's who said it) mentioned that Black, Gipson, and Rubell are all close friends and they all visited Ohio St together last weekend.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

29 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Very curious to see where we go at LB.  Justin Williams and Tyanthony Smith both look like they’re going out of state and we don’t seem to like any other in-state guys that much.  The staff seems ambivalent on the California guys, Mathudi and House, as well.  Long way til signing day and LB is hardly a position of need after last year’s haul, but I hope we don’t end up with a gap year on the LB depth chart.

Gerry mentioned on last night live stream that Texas is going to basically keep evaluating and wait for senior seasons.  They will also continue to recruit Smith through the season and see if his commitment sticks to USC.  I really like this staff's recruiting method.  They don't jump to plan B and take guys just to take guys like every other staff we've had the last decade.  There will always be guys like Warren Roberson and Jelani McDonald that pop up later in the year.  If not, I bet they go portal.  We did take 5 talented LBs last class so it's going to be hard to convince dudes to ride the bench or compete with guys that have a year head start into the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Gerry mentioned on last night live stream that Texas is going to basically keep evaluating and wait for senior seasons.  They will also continue to recruit Smith through the season and see if his commitment sticks to USC.  I really like this staff's recruiting method.  They don't jump to plan B and take guys just to take guys like every other staff we've had the last decade.  There will always be guys like Warren Roberson and Jelani McDonald that pop up later in the year.  If not, I bet they go portal.  We did take 5 talented LBs last class so it's going to be hard to convince dudes to ride the bench or compete with guys that have a year head start into the program.

as a quick reminder, here is the current Edge/LB room per the awesome roster tool @AP101S puts together:

image.png.8f4337b7cac73281749c50d75370c802.png

link

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How many DB's are we taking? 

I'm not including Moddon so we currently just have Santana Wilson.

We're in on Kobe Black, Corian Gipson, Selman Bridges, Jordon Johnson-Rubell, and Myles Davis. 

CTJ says Wardell Mack is a numbers buster regardless.

Sounds like Lair may he a take as well.  Not sure if he can grow into a LB, but he's pretty violent on film and will hit.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

At first glance, that is missing Sorrell, Akana, and Vacek. 

Yep, I actually think we will have a decent two deep on the edge pretty soon between Sorrell, Burke, Finkley, and Vasek with Ross and Bledsoe as wildcards. I also have pretty high hopes for Billy Walton as a Gundy special the he usually finds to terrorize everyone with. 

Edited by Vertigo

55 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He also said he was not worried about losing Hudson. Mentioned Wingo and Sark's ability to get WR talent out of the portal and the fact that even talents like Cook and Hudson can not come in and start over guys like Neyor (if healthy) and AD Mitchell. He also said Hudson is a very good player and will likely be a draft pick, but he did not consider him to be a special player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He also said he was not worried about losing Hudson. Mentioned Wingo and Sark's ability to get WR talent out of the portal and the fact that even talents like Cook and Hudson can not come in and start over guys like Neyor (if healthy) and AD Mitchell. He also said Hudson is a very good player and will likely be a draft pick, but he did not consider him to be a special player. 

It seems like we have Cook in line to replace Worthy and Moore in line to replace Whittington.  Hudson isn't a 6'4  deep threat like Neyor and Mitchell so he would essentially have to beat out two guys that have come into the program extremely polished and with a year already into the program.  Wingo looks like the body type and profiles well to replace Neyor/Mitchell.  I'm sure Sark is selling him immediate playing time.   I haven't watched Freddy Dubose film/HUDL but it sounds like he's an athletic freak from a speed and jumping ability so I'm assuming he'll probably complete for the same spot Mitchell/Neyor will be playing.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It seems like we have Cook in line to replace Worthy and Moore in line to replace Whittington.  Hudson isn't a 6'4  deep threat like Neyor and Mitchell so he would essentially have to beat out two guys that have come into the program extremely polished and with a year already into the program.  Wingo looks like the body type and profiles well to replace Neyor/Mitchell.  I'm sure Sark is selling him immediate playing time.   I haven't watched Freddy Dubose film/HUDL but it sounds like he's an athletic freak from a speed and jumping ability so I'm assuming he'll probably complete for the same spot Mitchell/Neyor will be playing.

I think my biggest take away from Gerry's comments are it is impossible to predict the 2024 WR depth chart. Assuming all 4 leave (Neyor, AD, JWhitt, and X), there is a good chance that 1 or 2 of the 2024 starters at WR are not on the current Texas roster. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think my biggest take away from Gerry's comments are it is impossible to predict the 2024 WR depth chart. Assuming all 4 leave (Neyor, AD, JWhitt, and X), there is a good chance that 1 or 2 of the 2024 starters at WR are not on the current Texas roster. 

Am I crazy or did it seem like Gerry was kind of pissed at Hudson? He put in a 100% RPM and flat out stated that Hudson was going to Tech - I don't think I've ever heard him speak so plainly about where a recruit is going before a commitment is announced. It can't just be that the kid is going somewhere other than Texas, that happens all the time.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

Am I crazy or did it seem like Gerry was kind of pissed at Hudson? He put in a 100% RPM and flat out stated that Hudson was going to Tech - I don't think I've ever heard him speak so plainly about where a recruit is going before a commitment is announced. It can't just be that the kid is going somewhere other than Texas, that happens all the time.  

Not sure he was pissed at Hudson or the reaction of fans, but he was pretty blunt with his comments. 

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

The decision to commit to Tech was made a long time ago. While they have continued to recruit him there are some people on the staff that are starting to believe that he has “played” them and that some of the decisions around visiting campus and official visits have been planned along with Tech coaches. Believing Tech coaches are trying to play up the decision even more to make it look better for Tech beating big bad Texas. 

That makes sense

I thought a while ago someone said Hudson was one those kids that didn't like the idea of people knowing or assuming what he was going to do (go to Texas), and so my assumption a couple weeks ago was this Tech talk was a smokescreen to build drama.

Edit: looks like it may be the other way around

Edited by Yesh
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

The decision to commit to Tech was made a long time ago. While they have continued to recruit him there are some people on the staff that are starting to believe that he has “played” them and that some of the decisions around visiting campus and official visits have been planned along with Tech coaches. Believing Tech coaches are trying to play up the decision even more to make it look better for Tech beating big bad Texas. 

Not saying that is why Gerry is reacting the way he is, but the thought is out there among some members of the staff. 

Gerry mentioned he's been trolling Texas fans with his twitter pictures.  I'm sure he's being fed bullshit by Hudson and doesn't buy it one bit bc I did notice as well that Gerry put in a 100% pick.  IT never does that and they normally make sure they don't take away a kids moment by being blatant about it.  I imagine Gerry put it in as a 100% pick for a reason.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Also losing Sanders. We should have Cook, Moore, and Cain, but none is proven yet, and even if all play well, we'll need additional starters, not to mention depth.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry put in a pick for Nyier Daniels to Georgia with 80% confidence.

Also said he doesn't expect him in for the OV this weekend.

OT is about to get interesting. Obviously we are all-in on Brandon Baker and Calhoun but so is everyone else. Not sure why we would turn to after those guys. Guys like Ory Williams and Blake Ivy seem to have fallen off the radar. 

On 6/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, conVINCEd said:

We SEC now.  Some of you will need to stay in Memphis for an Ole Miss road game.

Is that a thing for visitors?  Ive made that drive, and it is about an hour and a half. That would be like staying in Waco for a Texas game.  ???

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Is that a thing for visitors?  Ive made that drive, and it is about an hour and a half. That would be like staying in Waco for a Texas game.  ???

You ever been to Oxford?  There aren’t nearly enough hotel rooms for a game day crowd.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who is our top interior prospect not named Cruz?

Would think Saina or the Eugene Brooks guy that visited last week. DeAndre Carter from Mater Dei is an interior guy but I think he said he isn't visiting until the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would think Saina or the Eugene Brooks guy that visited last week. DeAndre Carter from Mater Dei is an interior guy but I think he said he isn't visiting until the season.

Thanks! Regarding the other side of the ball either Nahlin or Gerry said that they think Texas could take 8 or more edge/DL this cycle. They want to load up there in preparation for the SEC 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thanks! Regarding the other side of the ball either Nahlin or Gerry said that they think Texas could take 8 or more edge/DL this cycle. They want to load up there in preparation for the SEC 

Also sounds like they don’t feel confident with what they have on campus.  

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Also sounds like they don’t feel confident with what they have on campus.  

I would say it's more of a numbers thing. Only took 1 interior DL last cycle and several of the guys they took in the 2022 cycle (Ross, Bledsoe), may not be interior guys long term.

After taking 5-6 LB last cycle, we probably only need like 1 this cycle so you can spread those spots out to other positions. And DL and edge would make sense.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Potential Class Numbers

QB 1
RB 2
WR 3-5
TE 1
OL 4-5

Offense: 11-14

Edge/DL 8-9
LB 1-2
DB 4-6

Defense: 13-17

Total 24-31

I don't see a need to take more than 3 HS WR's nowadays. And the edge board after Simmons looks pretty bare so I am wondering where they will go to get to the 8-9 number.

Edited by Hookem2147

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don't see a need to take more than 3 HS WR's nowadays. And the edge board after Simmons looks pretty bare so I am wondering where they will go to get to the 8-9 number.

Agree. Unless you get a special talent that shakes up the numbers, there is no real reason to stock up at WR. Its funny, you see all these DBs that want to be WRs. A CB is always going to be in bigger demand, than a WR. Now the portal has completely devalued the WR position in college, if you are a Blue Blood. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Agree. Unless you get a special talent that shakes up the numbers, there is no real reason to stock up at WR. Its funny, you see all these DBs that want to be WRs. A CB is always going to be in bigger demand, than a WR. Now the portal has completely devalued the WR position in college, if you are a Blue Blood. 

1-2 edge, 2-3 jack/buck, 3-4 DT

That's 7-9 right there

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls