2021 transfer thread

Machinator

So, it looks like we have addressed LB and DE through the portal assuming the USC LB comes here. OL and WR are next. Other than that, I don't see many weaknesses on the roster. If a QB emerges, we are going to be very good.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Oh look, a fast Josh Moore who hasn't apparently become familiar with the justice system. Do want. 

From St. Louis, would be curious to know connections with Washington and Coleman. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, Machinator said:

Thornton - 1 year

Davis - 1  year

Oghuofo - 3 years

Richardson - 3 years

Gaoteote - 2 years

Dunn - 1 year

Looking back at this if we add Banks somehow then that will give us 4 guys over the next 2 years at least which would help our depth issue. Gives this staff the opportunity to make up ground recruiting there as well.

Banks would have 4-5 years.

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't think either of those guys will end up at Texas. Carson Van Lynn has put on weight, but he is a backup at Pitt and looking for consistent playing time. Willie Allen has been at way too many schools without any notable success.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Looking back at this if we add Banks somehow then that will give us 4 guys over the next 2 years at least which would help our depth issue. Gives this staff the opportunity to make up ground recruiting there as well.

Banks would have 4-5 years.

Maybe, but if you continue to add guys from the portal you are going to subtract younger guys to the portal - which impacts that depth. You aren't going to keep all the young guys if you are stacking these guys over them. The one year rentals hurt a little but for every guy you bring in with 3+ you are likely going to lose a guy from the 2020-2022 rolling 3 year class. That impacts depth directly (see the OU WR situation currently).  If you look at them as an example the mortgage some future to get Obiola and Howard. Those guys gave nothing and OU lost West, Rambo, Crawford, and Jones. There's a lot of good young talent at LB on this roster, imho and there are a couple I certainly wouldn't trade for some of these guys coming in via the portal but they will leave. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Maybe, but if you continue to add guys from the portal you are going to subtract younger guys to the portal - which impacts that depth. You aren't going to keep all the young guys if you are stacking these guys over them. The one year rentals hurt a little but for every guy you bring in with 3+ you are likely going to lose a guy from the 2020-2022 rolling 3 year class. That impacts depth directly (see the OU WR situation currently).  If you look at them as an example the mortgage some future to get Obiola and Howard. Those guys gave nothing and OU lost West, Rambo, Crawford, and Jones. There's a lot of good young talent at LB on this roster, imho and there are a couple I certainly wouldn't trade for some of these guys coming in via the portal but they will leave. 

I think the point of a roster churn doesn’t just involve the bringing in. It involves the sending out as well. Our WR and LB rooms, for instance beyond a few key players damn near need a rebuild to the studs. 

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think the point of a roster churn doesn’t just involve the bringing in. It involves the sending out as well. Our WR and LB rooms, for instance beyond a few key players damn near need a rebuild to the studs. 

WR, agreed. LB isn't nearly as bad as is being assumed here. Gbenda, Cooks, and Hullaby are nice pieces that you don't want to lose. The emergence of Gbenda solidifies that, for me. They're grabbing a rental for immediate depth, but the future of the position isn't nearly as murky as WR.

Edit to add: And Richardson. Fuck. We're just fine at linebacker. No superstars, but certainly more solid than "rebuild to the studs"

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Some are rentals, yes. Others are guys who are going to be here for 2-4 years and won't be like a rental such as Davis and Thornton.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Guys, I will come on here and tell you when it is WR X. If he doesn’t enter the portal by this time next month, I’ll say it then. 

Spooking anything with this one isn’t worth it and the fucking $9.95ers shouldn’t have given any specifics in the first place. 

So by June 1?

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

WR room? FOR SURE. I simply disagree with the idea that LB room needs a complete rebuild. The talent needs to be developed and that's on the coaching staff to do it.  Not even taking other classes into consideration or the jack/rush/OLB guys in play just take the young guys. 

Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell.  

If a coach can't develop at least 4 of those guys into a quality LB 2-deep then he should be fired. I hate Fat Pat and TCU but he and Glasgow would gladly take any two out of that list of six and turn them into All BigXII. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some are rentals, yes. Others are guys who are going to be here for 2-4 years and won't be like a rental such as Davis and Thornton.

which was my point. Every one of them that you bring on will cost one or more from the above listed guys. Hence, the OU WR example. They ended up losing 4 young guys for 2 transfers with 2+ or more years left and it's caused depth issues for the Sooners. You pointed out how this would fix depth and I was simply pointing out that it very well can do the opposite. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don't think Sark wants all these WRs on the roster. He will bring in short-term rentals if needed and get rid of all the dead weight. I think he would be happy with 3 studs and some reserves. But, he definitely was spoiled at Alabama where he could lose multiple starters one year and replace them with 5 stars the following year.

Just now, golfclap said:

WR room? FOR SURE. I simply disagree with the idea that LB room needs a complete rebuild. The talent needs to be developed and that's on the coaching staff to do it.  Not even taking other classes into consideration or the jack/rush/OLB guys in play just take the young guys. 

If a coach can't develop at least 4 of those guys into a quality LB 2-deep then he should be fired. I hate Fat Pat and TCU but he and Glasgow would gladly take any two out of that list of six and turn them into All BigXII. 

which was my point. Every one of them that you bring on will cost one or more from the above listed guys. Hence, the OU WR example. They ended up losing 4 young guys for 2 transfers with 2+ or more years left and it's caused depth issues for the Sooners. You pointed out how this would fix depth and I was simply pointing out that it very well can do the opposite. 

Slight difference is our linebacker room was a joke.

Our 2020 Commits:

Prince Dorbah

Jaylan Ford

Our 2021 Commits:

Terrance Cooks

Morice Blackwell

Derrick Harris Jr - Listed as a WDE on 247 but I'll include him here.

That is 4 recruits at the entire linebacker position in the last 2 recruiting cycles.

The following transfers are 1 year rentals:

Ben Davis

Ray Thornton

The following transfers are not 1 year rentals and have multiple years remaining:

Currently Confirmed:

Devin Richardson - 3

Ovie Oghoufo - 3

Uncommitted targets:

Palaie Gaoteote - 2 years

Shadrach Banks - 4/5 years

image.png.cafd01e0e3bb91e29b085bd6bc8e4b9b.png

We have 7 guys who were offered scholarship to play linebacker at Texas out of high school on the roster. 3 guys who are walk on's that received scholarships when they were avaiable. 

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our 2020 Commits:

Prince Dorbah

Jaylan Ford

Our 2021 Commits:

Terrance Cooks

Morice Blackwell

Derrick Harris Jr - Listed as a WDE on 247 but I'll include him here.

That is 4 recruits at the entire linebacker position in the last 2 recruiting cycles.

The following transfers are 1 year rentals:

Ben Davis

Ray Thornton

The following transfers are not 1 year rentals and have multiple years remaining:

Currently Confirmed:

Devin Richardson - 3

Ovie Oghoufo - 3

Uncommitted targets:

Palaie Gaoteote - 2 years

Shadrach Banks - 4/5 years

image.png.cafd01e0e3bb91e29b085bd6bc8e4b9b.png

We have 7 guys who were offered scholarship to play linebacker at Texas out of high school on the roster. 3 guys who are walk on's that received scholarships when they were avaiable. 

Hullaby went straight to LB, so 8 guys

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

and I disagree with that assessment. I think the young talent there is clear and simply in need of a competent position coach. That's exactly what I said here :: 

23 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. <--- you think these guys are all a joke and are all spares? I just want to be fully clear. You don't think a good LB coach could develop 4 quality players from those 6 guys in the 3-5 years that they are on the roster? Further still, you don't think those 6 guys represent more talent than the other teams within the BigXII? 

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

and I disagree with that assessment. I think the young talent there is clear and simply in need of a competent position coach. That's exactly what I said here :: 

Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. <--- you think these guys are all a joke and are all spares? I just want to be fully clear. You don't think a good LB coach could develop 4 quality players from those 6 guys in the 3-5 years that they are on the roster? Further still, you don't think those 6 guys represent more talent than the other teams within the BigXII? 

I’m saying we have no depth and that’s why you take the transfers like we’re doing. We will make it through this year but you need the other guys as well. and if the transfers beat out guys currently on the roster then how talented we’re they really?

Having 8 scholarship linebackers is actually stupid roster management thanks to the old staff. 

try and get another 3-5 linebackers in 2022, a healthy roster should have about 12-15 linebackers  

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m saying we have no depth and that’s why you take the transfers like we’re doing. We will make it through this year but you need the other guys as well. and if the transfers beat out guys currently on the roster then how talented we’re they really?

Having 8 scholarship linebackers is actually stupid roster management thanks to the old staff. 

try and get another 3-5 linebackers in 2022, a healthy roster should have about 12-15 linebackers  

ignorance GIF by Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m saying we have no depth

what the fuck do you think depth is and what have we been talking about, if not depth? 

It appears that Overshown and Gbenda will be the 2 guys starting rolling into the fall. Owens is intriguing but so far we haven't got to see what that looks like. So let's take them out of the "no depth" discussion. 

So the backups/depth are built from Ford, Tillman, Hullaby, Cooks, Blackwell (as well as Brockermeyer). You are saying we have no depth over and over and over and I am pointing out the depth - by name. So I want you to be clear and tell me which of 5 of these guys suck. Which five of these guys lacks enough talent to be developed?  Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. Are you telling me that we can't develop 2 of these 6 guys into solid BigXII capable backup LBs for 2021? If that is the case then Choate should go back to FCS and I am dead serious. If he can't develop 2 quality backups from that list of guys, he should GTFO. 

So, I want you to name them. I don't want you to reply to this until you say "Our LB depth sucks and is a joke because ________ isn't capable of playing quality LB in the BigXII" and I want you to name 5 of them because that would equate to our LB room being a joke. 

The coaching staff wanted to add some pieces at LB and they did and continue to do so -  you pointed out that it will help our depth problems, to which I responded that it may very well hurt depth as evidenced by very similar scenario at WR at Oklahoma. You countered by saying that 

our linebacker room was a joke

So this is simple. Which 5 of these guys are jokes?  Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Our linebacker room is not the Oklahoma WR room. Why are you comparing two completely different position groups as if they’re the same?

8 scholarship linebackers and you say we have good depth? Lmao okay bud. 

I guess that’s why we have walk ons littered through our linebacker depth chart because it has good depth  haha

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our linebacker room is not the Oklahoma WR room. Why are you comparing two completely different position groups as if they’re the same?

I guess that’s why we have walk ons littered through our linebacker depth chart because it has good depth  haha

I'd love to see what your "healthy roster" looks like with 12-15 scholarships allocated to LB. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Jesus Christ dude. He’s comparing the two groups because it’s a situation where taking too many transfers actually hurt depth long term. It’s called an example. An illustration. Are you incapable of comparing women unless they both have the same hair color? Do you seriously  not understand the point he’s trying to make? Honest question. Because “haha why would you compare two position groups that aren’t the same is dense AF. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus Christ dude. He’s comparing the two groups because it’s a situation where taking too many transfers actually hurt depth long term. It’s called an example. An illustration. Are you incapable of comparing women unless they both have the same hair color? Do you seriously  not understand the point he’s trying to make? Honest question. Because “haha why would you compare two position groups that aren’t the same is dense AF. 

Yeah because we have so many upperclassmen linebackers that will get their spot taken....his argument is dumb. 

if the transfers beat out the younger guys then that’s on us. Let’s see what we do in 2022 linebacker class with this staff but in no way should we settle on what we have because it might run off young unproven talent on the roster/2021 guys if they get beat out. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah because we have so many upperclassmen linebackers that will get their spot taken....his argument is dumb. 

if the transfers bear out the younger guys then that’s on us. Let’s see what we do in 2022 linebacker class with this staff but in no way should we settle on what we have because it might run off young unproven talent on the roster/2021 guys if they get beat out. 

If his argument is dumb, argue it merits. Not “lol wr and lb aren’t even the same thing guy.” because, again, illustration.