2021 transfer thread

Machinator

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

From Dawgs 247

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.be69e85a1a4941fa9b05d2dbf8417776.png

Impact Analysis: Georgia loses Major Burns to transfer4VIP

Jake Rowe

The transfer portal gives and it takes away. Georgia added a big piece to the puzzle earlier this spring in West Virginia transfer defensive back Tykee Smith and it lost a guy on Monday, sophomore safety Major Burns, who is a snap or two away from being a being a key player.

Burns announced his intentions to enter the NCAA's transfer portal and continue his football career elsewhere, diminishing the depth at a position that wasn't very deep to begin with. Burns appeared in six games last year and saw significant action against Florida with Richard LeCounte III out and Lewis Cine missing most of the game after an ejection.

In no way is losing Burns a good thing, but it might not be as bad as you might think. The addition of Smith is looms pretty large here. If Smith is able to come in and lock down the STAR/nickel position, it allows Latavious Brini to slide back to safety. If Brini wasn't going to play STAR, he was going to be UGA's next man up at either safety position based on the Missouri game last year. Chris Smith went down with an injury and Brini stepped in and recorded two tackles for loss. He went on to get the start at STAR in UGA's next game with Tyrique Stevenson, now at Miami, moving to cornerback and Mark Webb out with a minor injury.

If you're looking for some sort of bright side, that's where it can be found. Based on what we saw in the G-Day game, the Bulldogs' fourth safety is walk-on Dan Jackson. Jackson generated some buzz this spring and Dan Lanning told the SEC Network crew of Tom Hart, Jordan Rodgers, and Cole Cubelic that Jackson would help the team. He's now in a better position to do that.

As for his showing in the G-Day game, it was up and down. He missed a couple of open field tackles against powerful runners in Darnell Washington and Kendall Milton. He also picked off Carson Beck by playing assignment football in the middle of the field and getting on top of a post route ran by Arian Smith.

Jackson will have to fight to hold on to the fourth safety spot, however. The Bulldogs a talented 2021 prospect in David Daniel and he enrolled early. He impressed in the first scrimmage but was quiet in the G-Day game. Fellow 2021 signee Daran Branch might also get a look but he played STAR and cornerback in the spring game.

There's always the chance that the Bulldogs could use the transfer portal to get deeper, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind here. The first and most important is that UGA has its starting safeties in Cine and Smith. Good players don't typically transfer into a program to be reserves. Secondly, the Bulldogs have needs at cornerback and wide receiver. Cornerback is probably the bigger need of the two right now but Georgia has just two initial counter spots to use.

24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Skipping classes, and to a lesser degree practices, can be a sign of depression. 

Living in South Bend from August through May has been found to be a leading cause of depression among college-aged kids. 

Maybe the kid likes sunshine and warm temperatures and didn’t realize how much worse South Bend could be in relation to St. Louis. 

Unfortunately, depression is usually misunderstood by folks that have yet to come to grips with it and those around them since they don't know how hard it really is to live with it and get better. That is all I am willing to say when it comes to depression because everyone's is different and speculation around that subject would just make us all sound ignorant.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Unfortunately, depression is usually misunderstood by folks that have yet to come to grips with it and those around them sense they don't know how hard it really is to live with it and get better. That is all I am willing to say when it comes to depression because everyone's is different and speculation around that subject would just make us all sound ignorant.

I'm depressed about our wide receiver room so maybe he could at least help me out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Unfortunately, depression is usually misunderstood by folks that have yet to come to grips with it and those around them sense they don't know how hard it really is to live with it and get better. That is all I am willing to say when it comes to depression because everyone's is different and speculation around that subject would just make us all sound ignorant.

I stopped going to classes my 2nd & 3rd semesters at UT (great for my overall GPA) and it wasn’t because I was so happy to be in Austin and at UT that I completely forgot about my course schedule. 

Sometimes it’s chemical, sometimes it’s seasonal, sometimes it’s a personality conflict, sometimes it’s location...

Skipping classes & practices doesn’t scream “headcase” to me, it suggests avoiding things that bum a person out. 👨‍🎓

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I stopped going to classes my 2nd & 3rd semesters at UT (great for my overall GPA) and it wasn’t because I was so happy to be in Austin and at UT that I completely forgot about my course schedule. 

Sometimes it’s chemical, sometimes it’s seasonal, sometimes it’s a personality conflict, sometimes it’s location...

Skipping classes & practices doesn’t scream “headcase” to me, it suggests avoiding things that bum a person out. 👨‍🎓

I’m not going to sit here and minimize depression in any way. But if going to practice and/or classes are bumming a kid out, whether or not he can be labeled a head case, those are still things that I would say substantially reduce the odds a player will be a successful and productive use of a scholarship. 

20 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

To me depression is something a coach would suspect and therefore would not be quoted as saying "“There are other things that are important here at the university," when it comes to what he is trying to teach a player. That to me sounds like a kid that thought he was going there to just play football and not even pretend to go to class. Now if the kid is so depressed that he does not even have the energy or desire to go to class or practice then shame on the coach for not suspecting it and saying what he said.

Edited by DanTheHorn

14 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

That to me sounds like a kid that thought he was going there to just play football and not even pretend to go to class.

Or, Brian Kelly is a shitty asshole dragging a kid in the press to try to "motivate" him. 

No one gets in at Notre Dame without knowing that they are going to have to play school. Certainly more than at a random football factory. If you go with Occam's Razor on this one - I would side toward Brian Kelly being a complete prick, because that's an absolute given, and that the kid is probably not digging the life and culture at Notre Dame both as in the classroom and on the football team. 

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The coaching fraternity isn't exactly a bunch of Ted Lasso's out there making sure everyone is taking the proper amount of self-care.

TSRH. Even among meatheads Kelly is a fucking special level of troglodyte asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Even among meatheads Kelly is a fucking special level of troglodyte asshole. 

Thank Christ we didn't hire that prick. I was not looking forward to wrapping my mind around rooting for Brian Kelly Texas Football, especially after four years of Herman press conferences. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not going to sit here and minimize depression in any way. But if going to practice and/or classes are bumming a kid out, whether or not he can be labeled a head case, those are still things that I would say substantially reduce the odds a player will be a successful and productive use of a scholarship. 

That happened to me,  and in fact it can be,  at least in my case,  pretty easy to bounce back from it.

Once you understand what's going on it can be,  in a lot of cases,  easy to overcome.

Depression is real, and many times misunderstood.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

That happened to me,  and in fact it can be,  at least in my case,  pretty easy to bounce back from it.

Once you understand what's going on it can be,  in a lot of cases,  easy to overcome.

Depression is real, and many times misunderstood.   

Depression is weakness, I don’t want weakness on our football team. 

/s

Auburn 247

Spoiler

Auburn on Monday hosted a top transfer target, safety Donovan Kaufman of Vanderbilt, on a virtual visit and according to the coveted defensive back the Tigers impressed him.

"It went really well," Kaufman said. "Everything was great. It's a neat college town. I like the stadium, the facilities, the people."

Kaufman, arguably projected as the best player on the entire team at Vandy, entered the NCAA Transfer Portal two weeks ago and Auburn immediately zeroed in on him. So have others. Kaufman will have four years of eligibility remaining at his next stop.

According to Kaufman, however, this has "pretty much" become a two-team race between Auburn and Texas. The Longhorns hosted him on their own virtual visit recently and that also went well, Kaufman said.

He plans to have a final commitment decision in mid-May. He does not yet have an exact date set.

When asked if one program led, Kaufman replied, "Not really. Kind of really just trying to see, just feeling them out."

According to Kaufman, he is back in his hometown of New Orleans. His plan is to arrive at his future college the first week of June.

Given his relationship with Tigers defensive coordinator and safeties coach Derek Mason, his former head coach with the Commodores, it should come as no surprise Auburn is contending for Kaufman. The Tigers are selling "the people, the school, the conference," he said. Texas' message is very similar and according to Kaufman he has spoken to several Longhorn assistants, along with head coach Steve Sarkisian.

At this point, Kaufman thinks he has seen enough. No other virtual visits are scheduled. Now, it's time to weigh the pros and cons of each program and make the pick.

"I'm not going to lie to you," Kaufman. "You could pick them out of a hat and I wouldn't be mad with either one. It's a toss up. Obviously it's a big decision. But I'm not trying to think too much about it. I'm still working out and getting ready."

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Auburn 247

Hide contents

Auburn on Monday hosted a top transfer target, safety Donovan Kaufman of Vanderbilt, on a virtual visit and according to the coveted defensive back the Tigers impressed him.

"It went really well," Kaufman said. "Everything was great. It's a neat college town. I like the stadium, the facilities, the people."

Kaufman, arguably projected as the best player on the entire team at Vandy, entered the NCAA Transfer Portal two weeks ago and Auburn immediately zeroed in on him. So have others. Kaufman will have four years of eligibility remaining at his next stop.

According to Kaufman, however, this has "pretty much" become a two-team race between Auburn and Texas. The Longhorns hosted him on their own virtual visit recently and that also went well, Kaufman said.

He plans to have a final commitment decision in mid-May. He does not yet have an exact date set.

When asked if one program led, Kaufman replied, "Not really. Kind of really just trying to see, just feeling them out."

According to Kaufman, he is back in his hometown of New Orleans. His plan is to arrive at his future college the first week of June.

Given his relationship with Tigers defensive coordinator and safeties coach Derek Mason, his former head coach with the Commodores, it should come as no surprise Auburn is contending for Kaufman. The Tigers are selling "the people, the school, the conference," he said. Texas' message is very similar and according to Kaufman he has spoken to several Longhorn assistants, along with head coach Steve Sarkisian.

At this point, Kaufman thinks he has seen enough. No other virtual visits are scheduled. Now, it's time to weigh the pros and cons of each program and make the pick.

"I'm not going to lie to you," Kaufman. "You could pick them out of a hat and I wouldn't be mad with either one. It's a toss up. Obviously it's a big decision. But I'm not trying to think too much about it. I'm still working out and getting ready."

Auburn is a "neat" college town. Yeah that's the kind of damning with faint praise you love to see.

@golfclap

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Auburn 247

Hide contents

He was a fan favorite of LSU boards, although he didn’t quite make it into their class obviously 

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

And sometimes it’s because Craig Curry dropped the fucking punt. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Auburn 247

Reveal hidden contents

Adding Kaufman for future depth actually makes a lot of sense here, if you look at the past three safety classes

2019- Adimora, Owens. Adimora is playing nickel, and the future of Owens at safety is questionable

2020- Alford, Thompson. Alford already transferred, Thompson looking like a hit

2021- Coffey. Good early reviews, but only one safety take

So five safeties in three classes with one gone, one looking iffy, and one playing nickel (and might be gone after this year to the NFL)

In the same amount of time that Texas took five safeties, they took (not counting Bru) eleven high school WRs, plus two transfers

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Adding Kaufman for future depth actually makes a lot of sense here, if you look at the past three safety classes

2019- Adimora, Owens. Adimora is playing nickel, and the future of Owens at safety is questionable

2020- Alford, Thompson. Alford already transferred, Thompson looking like a hit

2021- Coffey. Good early reviews, but only one safety take

So five safeties in three classes with one gone, one looking iffy, and one playing nickel (and might be gone after this year to the NFL)

In the same amount of time that Texas took five safeties, they took (not counting Bru) eleven high school WRs, plus two transfers

Seems like Herman strategy was to recruit WR's and DB's to make class seem better on paper.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems like Herman strategy was to recruit WR's and DB's to make class seem better on paper.

His strategy at WR was to throw numbers at the problem and home that some of them hit, which bloated the WR room at the expense of other position groups  

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

His strategy at WR was to throw numbers at the problem and home that some of them hit, which bloated the WR room at the expense of other position groups  

I think his strategy was to keep his buddies and allow Meh to bring in a bunch of second tier wide receivers who were dumb enough to initially agree to play under him.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think his strategy was to keep his buddies and allow Meh to bring in a bunch of second tier wide receivers who were dumb enough to initially agree to play under him.

The eval room had like five guys all arguing for five different prospects, at times 

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They spelled linebacker wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

So he played in 6 games as a true freshmen then took a redshirt? I know last year did not count but how is he a redshirt freshmen?

I wouldn’t get too caught up on technicalities re classifications. 2020 didn’t really count for anyone. He’s technically a sophomore who can be granted a 5th year due to Covid once he uses up his regular eligibility, but he’s functionally a RS Freshman because he can play for four more years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I would still take him. That one always stung with him getting bought right at the end and so blatantly

He had his chance and decided to get paid.  I hope that bag lasts him a while because a Texas degree probably would have opened a lot more doors for him long term.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at USC.

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My instinct is that he can get fucked. Guess it took a year after he got to Auburn to figure out that maybe, just maybe it wasn't the best spot to be the Engineer or whatever the fuck it was he aspires to be, because he claimed to have legit academic interests...and then picked Auburn. Yes, I know his dad was the main culprit. 

That being said, he was pretty tight with Ja'Quinden Jackson, obviously. I wonder if Utah would be a destination. I know he had a specific fit in our last defense, less certain if he has an obvious fit in PK's scheme unless as Macklin said we would be flat out selling him at LB. 

Playing 6 games at a true Freshman and still choosing to portal out feels like something certainly went sideways in Auburn. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at USC.

Maybe. I would look at OU first though. It looks like they are going to have a whole pack of Duncanville kids up there and the SS depth chart isn't blowing anyone away with DTY and Criddell running 1/2. Mukes is getting a run at S right now but I think it's possible he simply outgrows the spot and they didn't sign any other S. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I realize that guy is basically 30 years old and is generally speaking a JAG, but aren't there basically 3 guys for 4 positions in the aTm secondary at this  point?

Jaylon Jones has nickel. Leon and Demani have safety. Antonio Johnson is probably the backup at both safety spots, they seem to think he's a dude.