2021 transfer thread

Machinator

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ve literally laid out the roster and how dog shit our depth is in a previous post. 

Then adding the following seemed superfluous and ripe for mockery, which I’m doing. You think your point is better with the equivalent of “oh btw, lb and OT aren’t even the same position, guy!” 

I’d you continue down this sad path I’m just going to respond to every post with your quote. Hell I might save it and use it forever. 

Our linebacker room is not the Oklahoma WR room. Why are you comparing two completely different position groups as if they’re the same?

Edited by SydneyCarton

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

8 scholarship linebackers and you say we have good depth? Lmao okay bud.

First, scholarship numbers and good depth are two completely different conversations. Having said that, 8 guys to play 2 spots? Yes, I think having 4 deep at a position on scholarship is all the numbers that you need.  I'm not even going to get into the parallels of the OU WR room and the how it mirrors this conversation because you are too fucking stupid to grasp it, so just drop that thought. Pretend it never happened. 

Now, stop being a fucking coward. You had a shitty lazy ass take and when I pointed out how stupid and lazy it is and asked you to simply let me know who you think is shitty, you won't. You stated the room was a joke. You stated we have no depth. So own it. I have repeatedly named specific names and said that I think there are several good young LBs on this roster. (ie. depth) and named them. 

So stop ignoring my simple and singular request and answer this one question ... 

Which 5 of these guys are jokes as players and incapable of being developed into quality backup LBs?  Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. 

you just said 

I’ve literally laid out the roster and how dog shit our depth is in a previous post.

Which 5 are dog shit? Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. 

Looking at 2022 is why you take so many grad transfers this year, espeically with those having more than 1 year elgibility.

Currently on roster for 2022 Season:

Tillman Jr

Ford

Gbenda

Dorbah

Harris Jr

Blackwell

Hullaby

Cooks

As far as currently only roster

Transfers:

Devin Richardson - 3 years remaining

Ovie Oghoufo - 3 years remaining

Throw in these 2 transfer candidates:

Palaie Gaoteote - 2 years

Shadrach Banks - 4/5 years

2022 Commit:

Trevell Johnson

2022 Projected Roster with above:

Tillman Jr

Hullaby

Ford

Gbenda

Dorbah

Blackwell

Harris Jr

Cooks

Richardson(2 years remaining)

Oghoufo(2 years remaining)

Johnson(Freshmen)

If signed:

Gaoteote(Last year)

Banks(4 years)

That's potentially 13 guys right there for the 2 deep and development and hopefully by then we aren't having to play true freshmen unless they're studs or have 2-3 walk on's littered in our depth chart.

2023 Gaoteote goes off the books

I'd say we'd look to sign 2-4 more high school linebackers for the 2022 class.

That way we have good numbers of scholarship guys at the position groups.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

So it does replace the existing graduate transfer exemption. 

Hope they give additional clarity on what exactly would potentially qualify someone for an exemption waiver as a graduate. Is that going to be purely for hardship circumstances or if some kid burned his one-time xfer as a FR but then did really well scholastically and has the opportunity to go join a top graduate program might they get rewarded with a waiver? I imagine they leave it ambiguous so the corrupt jackasses running the process can just do whatever they feel like at the time. 

13 LBs for two spots on the field seems like a lot. Which goes back to the point of we are likely going to see some transfers due to the older guys coming in and burying some of the younger players on the depth chart. I agree with the opinion of I'd rather not lose most of the young guys.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

what the fuck do you think depth is and what have we been talking about, if not depth? 

It appears that Overshown and Gbenda will be the 2 guys starting rolling into the fall. Owens is intriguing but so far we haven't got to see what that looks like. So let's take them out of the "no depth" discussion. 

So the backups/depth are built from Ford, Tillman, Hullaby, Cooks, Blackwell (as well as Brockermeyer). You are saying we have no depth over and over and over and I am pointing out the depth - by name. So I want you to be clear and tell me which of 5 of these guys suck. Which five of these guys lacks enough talent to be developed?  Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. Are you telling me that we can't develop 2 of these 6 guys into solid BigXII capable backup LBs for 2021? If that is the case then Choate should go back to FCS and I am dead serious. If he can't develop 2 quality backups from that list of guys, he should GTFO. 

So, I want you to name them. I don't want you to reply to this until you say "Our LB depth sucks and is a joke because ________ isn't capable of playing quality LB in the BigXII" and I want you to name 5 of them because that would equate to our LB room being a joke. 

The coaching staff wanted to add some pieces at LB and they did and continue to do so -  you pointed out that it will help our depth problems, to which I responded that it may very well hurt depth as evidenced by very similar scenario at WR at Oklahoma. You countered by saying that 

So this is simple. Which 5 of these guys are jokes?  Ford. Tillman. Gbenda. Hullaby. Cooks. Blackwell. 

I think the LB position is somewhere between sucks and what you are saying. I like the prospects Texas has in the pipeline right now, but we also have no idea how any of them are going to do during live bullets. I think the better description is the LB room has bodies, as I see depth as guys you know you can win with consistently. If Choate and Kwiatkowski thought we had depth, they would not be stockpiling as many bodies for the room as possible. I think we also judge these guys through the lens of they committed to Texas and we want to see them succeed. 

I think another reason to stockpile LBs is for STs. Those guys are going to be on your coverage teams, especially kick off coverage. Some of the best film for Kindle and Norton was their freshmen year OU game, knocking the shit out of Peterson on kick returns.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the LB position is somewhere between sucks and what you are saying. I like the prospects Texas has in the pipeline right now, but we also have no idea how any of them are going to do during live bullets. I think the better description is the LB room has bodies, as I see depth as guys you know you can win with consistently. If Choate and Kwiatkowski thought we had depth, they would not be stockpiling as many bodies for the room as possible. I think we also judge these guys through the lens of they committed to Texas and we want to see them succeed. 

I think another reason to stockpile LBs is for STs. Those guys are going to be on your coverage teams, especially kick off coverage. Some of the best film for Kindle and Norton was their freshmen year OU game, knocking the shit out of Peterson on kick returns.

Sounds like very few schools would have depth at any position on their roster

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

13 LBs for two spots on the field seems like a lot. Which goes back to the point of we are likely going to see some transfers due to the older guys coming in and burying some of the younger players on the depth chart. I agree with the opinion of I'd rather not lose most of the young guys.

Of the 13 he's listing at the Dorbah, Harris, and Oghoufo (and maybe more) won't be competing for the two ILB spots that PK uses and it doesn't really make sense to lump everyone listed on the roster as "LB" all together. There is some overlap with what we'd be calling a DE and OLB, they are basically edge players. 

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Choate and Kwiatkowski thought we had depth, they would not be stockpiling as many bodies for the room as possible.

Thornton, Oghoufo, and Davis were brought in as edge rushers. It seems like that is their main concern for this season at least.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m saying we have no depth and that’s why you take the transfers like we’re doing. We will make it through this year but you need the other guys as well. and if the transfers beat out guys currently on the roster then how talented we’re they really?

Having 8 scholarship linebackers is actually stupid roster management thanks to the old staff. 

try and get another 3-5 linebackers in 2022, a healthy roster should have about 12-15 linebackers  

I dont know that you take more than three at LB in this class after the transfers unless there is a guy with a super high ceiling that the staff really likes. It is bad roster management by the previous staff, but not terrible for the incoming staff considering one of our outside backers is essentially a strongside end.

The lack of an heir apparent to Ossai is the biggest hole, but between Thornton, Ovie, Davis, Dorbah, and Harris my money is that we arrive at an acceptable if not good level of production from that position for the next few years. First round caliber edge rushers are rare, and the only schools that have seemed to consistently find them over the last decade are Ohio State and to a lesser degree LSU. if PKs scheme highlights that position, we should be in the running for every elite edge talent in Texas, California, and Arizona at a minimum moving forward.

Gbenda and Overshown are quality starters on the inside who have all conference type ceilings with a good season. 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

And yet they also brought in Richardson and want to add Banks and Gaoteote to the room as well.

Banks is a freshman that would be learning a new position that he's never primarily focused on. It's no different than if they had a chance to sign him in February, get talent in the room and develop him but no way they are looking at him as immediate help, he's likely a long development curve. I am curious to see how Richardson will fit in to the rotation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some people here are posting in the context of scheme, and some are not. The disconnect is literally practical application.
[mention]BurntOrange&White [/mention] This would be a good time to reappropriate some of the time (not all, too titanic a task) you spend getting your jolly’s off on the incel boards to learning what the fuck you’re copy pasta’ing about.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I tried to watch that whole video, but that is just such a depressingly awful song that when you put it together with those images and the text at the bottom of the screen, you just want to shoot yourself. 

That is the EXACTLY OPPOSITE of how I am feeling about the futures of the football & basketball teams. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I tried to watch that whole video, but that is just such a depressingly awful song that when you put it together with those images and the text at the bottom of the screen, you just want to shoot yourself.   That is the EXACTLY OPPOSITE of how I am feeling about the futures of the football & basketball teams. 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

I read it as “this rule is for everyone, grad transfers and the rules surrounding them are unchanged.”

Yeah. That’s really bad phrasing, but if you read it by it’s exact words... if you use the one-time EXCEPTION, it’s used. A grad transfer is not considered an EXCEPTION under this rule. So someone who used the one-time EXCEPTION would still be able to grad transfer. Similarly, although I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone try it, but someone who grad transfers from the school they first got a scholarship from would also be eligible to use the one-time exception after their grad transfer.

If that’s correct, then it would be better to call the “one-time exception” a specific name. Let’s call it a get out of jail free card. Every athlete is granted one get out of jail free card. Sticking with the monopoly theme, the other methods for getting out of jail are unchanged. You can pay $200 (the grad transfer) and get out immediately. You can roll the dice a couple turns (sit out a year). Something like that.

IT on Shadrach

Spoiler

Shadrach Banks will talk to Texas this afternoon.

This discussion will be more scheme-oriented. By our count, this will be the fourth time “Lil Homie” has talked to Texas.

Banks is an athlete transfer from A&M who would play LB at Texas. UT is contending with TCU. If there are other schools, we haven’t heard who.

• Hook 'Em 3

Epps writeup - Arizona State has already offered: https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-tracker-longhorns-te-epps-in-portal

Recruiting: Epps initially committed to Alabama, but after reopening his process Texas quickly became a leader. He eventually committed to the Longhorns over Florida State, Texas A&M, Michigan, LSU and several other schools.

At Texas: Epps totaled 24 receptions for 292 yards and four touchdowns during his Texas career. His big season came in 2019 when he finished with 20 receptions for 232 yards and two touchdowns.

Potential landing spots: Arizona State quickly became his first offer, but several other schools are also in the picture, including

Farrell’s Take: Epps has the length and size to impact in the passing game but he's not consistent with his hands and has had some drops. He's also not a physical blocker. That being said, his size and athleticism will make him a Power Five target and he's a good fit in the right scheme as a flex.

Impact Meter: 6.4 out of 10

• Hook 'Em 1

(Super K) Texas in Position to add a Major Transfer

Spoiler

Earlier this week, we talked about Texas’ pursuit of USC transfer linebacker, Palaie Gaoteote (link here) saying:

I am told that Texas is still in pursuit of USC LB transfer, Palaie Gaoteote.  Was told by folks in the know that landing him would be a slam dunk for Texas. He was not a guy USC wanted to lose. I do wonder if he ends up at Ohio State though. However, last I heard, the Buckeyes were also in the mix for Henry To’oto’o. Was told by a source close to To’oto’o that he is down to Bama and Ohio State. So, I guess, hope for Ohio State?

Spoke with a west coast source, earlier today, who tells me that Henry To’o To’o is very likely headed to Ohio State.

Same source tells me to expect Texas to be the landing spot for Palaie Gaoteote. Again, I am told Palaie is very talented and the source noted, “I don’t know how well he fits that conference but he definitely fits the DC’s scheme”.

This could be just the piece needed to tighten up that linebacker group. With he and Overshown as talented top-end guys and a nice rotation from Richardson, Gbenda and others, suddenly a room that might have been a concern is looking like it will be a strength!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Um yeah a two-deep of Gatorate, Overshown, Richardson, and Gbenda will be just fine. 

That'd be the best two-deep we've had in a long time and would allow Cooks and Blackwell to Red Shirt.

Question is, how many of Tillman, Ford, or Hullaby hit the portal?  Have to think at least 1 would.

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That'd be the best two-deep we've had in a long time and would allow Cooks and Blackwell to Red Shirt.

Question is, how many of Tillman, Ford, or Hullaby hit the portal?  Have to think at least 1 would.

I'd have to think that one would be Tillman. 3rd year at Texas, barely in the rotation. Originally from Florida. Of course, with Hullaby's little bro going to Oregon, he could go too.