Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ah, the old “the better players aren’t seeing the field” line. We saw how that worked out with Karic who graded out in the single digits Saturday out of 100.

I was alluding to the two players I mentioned above for defense, Brock and Bush…and yes I do think they have better options then two walk ons

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Is Greg Robinson available to save this season?

This team is gonna win at least 8 in the reg season as long as the O doesn't fall apart. 

The defense is also playing better than it looks most of the time. Even just making sure tackles would make it average.

Edited by Atticus

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Yep. Sometimes when you are trying to be multiple you aren't really good at anything. Guys are trying so hard to remember what they are supposed to do on a play by play basis that they are slow to react. We also run a lot of light boxes, which means someone has to defeat blocks to make plays. We don't currently have the kind of dogs that can do that. When we can ignore the QB we are okay, but add anything that makes the defense hesitate(GT Counter) for a bit before reacting and we are in trouble. That's why we struggled so much vs Pig and OU.

Our safeties aren't rangy enough to get over the top of anything. We lose too many battles one on one in the secondary. Our LB play is average at best, and due to light boxes a lot of times these guys are fighting through a lot of traffic to get there. Our D-front is just okay, so when we get caught in the numbers game no one up there is going to make a play.

There are things you can do schematically to make the front more effective, but then you expose the back end of the defense in trade off. Muschamp would come in here and change up the front, and run some wonky combo shit on the back end to confuse opposing QBs, but he was the "take it to you" kind of DC. PK seems to be the I don't think you can sustain long drives guy, but teams don't have to worry about that because you can just arm punt and your guys is going to come down with it. Lol

In addition to the arm punt you can run middle school counter play for a bazzillion yards at 15 yards a clip.

insert the annual - "we need to simplify the defense, someone contact Gerg"

what that usually means is the DC sucks because he is trying to get cute and play match.   

I'm hopeful he figures it out and I'm also hopeful if he doesn't, Sark is doing his job and trying to hire Muschamp.

9 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I was alluding to the two players I mentioned above for defense, Brock and Bush…and yes I do think they have better options then two walk ons

Who would be your pick to replace Brockermeyer? 

Gbenda- Looks completely lost on the field

Ford- Has to guess the direction of the play correctly to be involved 

Dele- Hasn’t played in 3 years and entered the portal last year and asked to return because no one else wanted him

Bush is playing because we have guys like Dorbah behind him who don’t even like football. Imagine if we didn’t get Thornton or Ovie from the portal. They would be asking Bush to play nearly every down with Jones out.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Nebraska doesn't have better athletes on Defense, yet contained OU much more effectively.  And that was in Norman. 

Nebraska also got to play against Rattler all game, we did not. Along with having no idea how Riley would run the offense with Williams, he also injected some energy into that OU team and they started playing much more spirited. Even with all that I still don't feel like PK called a bad game, or got outschemed. Just bad individual effort on a few plays cost us the game. But the game plan PK had for Rattler was sound and successful. We win going away if he remains in the game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dele- Hasn’t played in 3 years and entered the portal last year and asked to return because no one else wanted him

Bush is playing because we have guys like Dorbah behind him who don’t even like football. Imagine if we didn’t get Thornton or Ovie from the portal. They would be asking Bush to play nearly every down with Jones out.

Counterpoint:

WE CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINYYYY

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Until Jett Bush and Luke Brock aren’t seeing the field anymore, this defense won’t be good

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Stop lying to yourself. Texas has elite atheletes. Their just not playing 

We have better athletes than Brock, but not better players. Ford and Gbenda have looked horrible all year when they play. Bush sucks and should not be getting snaps. Sorrell has shown way more and has a way higher ceiling. 

35 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ah, the old “the better players aren’t seeing the field” line. We saw how that worked out with Karic who graded out in the single digits Saturday out of 100.

Actually Jones is the one who graded out in the single digits in pass pro. Karic was better than him in run and pass pro and Karic was the one who had to go up against their first round edge rusher most of the game, so yeah, Karic is still better even though he’s not good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When your defense sucks this bad, you have to simplify and find an identity. There will be ways for teams to beat that, but it’s better than getting beaten by everything. I hope we run Thornton-Ojomo-Sweat-Collins on the DL so we can at least hold up against the run and not be so committed to always having a 6 man box.The pass is more important than the run but our DBs will get beat in pass coverage even when they’re in position. Taking away the big runs is much more within PK’s control. 

I’d prefer Quarters behind it, but My guess is PK would lean towards playing Cover 3 while mixing in some Cover 1. Either way, it’s time to get a box heavy enough to stop the run and simplify behind it.  With an offense this elite, the goal needs to be stopping big plays and making teams have 10+ play drives if they want to score a TD. We won’t be good, but we won’t be god awful either. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Atholeets*

Front 7 and OL recruiting have been a problem for a long time. Even the big DB haul we brought in 2018, only maybe Jamison could be considered an elite athlete. 

Most of the elite guys that are serious about football and making the league have been going to Alabama, fOSU, Georgia, and even aggy has purchased a few

Athletes* 

I’m talking defense since this is a defensive thread, cause it seems to me Offense isn’t the problem.  

When Players like Bush, Foster, Coburn and Brock are still starting after their play thus far its an issue.

I’ve seen Gbenda play. Their is no reason he should be behind Luke Brock, and I’m not hating on Luke at all, he’s probably the better one out of all the players I named but their is an deficiency there, when he makes plays 5 yards down the field,  or when he has Zach Evans wrapped up and still can’t bring him down (Not saying many would) and brakes for a TD. Or when a Full back can catch a ball in the flats and beat you to the outside.  I’ve seen Gbenda blitz with crazy speed, I’ve seen him lay Bijan down in the hole or beat him to the sideline and most on this board would consider him the best RB in the nation correct?? If he can’t grasp he playbook numb it down. Shit!!!!! it won’t hurt anything, we can’t run them now anyway so numb it down so we can play faster without having to think, and that also gives you a chance to get your playmakers on the field

Same with Bush, it’s a problem when I look and see a d-linemen on skates 6yds in the secondary. But then Collins or Sorrell comes in and can change the whole dynamic of a pass rush or lack there of in an instant. Even with the limited play we all know Collins is our best pass rusher on the Dline and Sorrell has shown us he’s a baller to. 

Coburn who was suppose to be the best at his position plays with the worst pad level I’ve seen him play with, but then I see Sweat, Ojomo and Murphy all come in and impact the game, from plugging holes, taking on blocks, getting TFL”s and even getting off blocks and causing havoc in the backfield. 

Foster is really imo starting by default, first off he’s out of position, he should never leave the box, but somehow we find him as a deep field Saftey and wonder why he’s always giving up bombs. At this point is Chris Adimora, that far off, he played the Saftey position some last year and didn’t really look bad. I think he should get some looks honestly 

the only problem I have with PK is he’s running a good defense with the wrong players. There is no problem with the scheme, cause if there was Georgia wouldn’t have the best defense in college football. Hell Baylor even was able to run it and be successful

Cause let’s be honest the only reason some of them are starting is because of the whole  “well you aren’t practicing hard enough like your in the game” or “ your not falling in line with what we want you to do “ blah blah blah, And this is facts, that’s why Casey didn’t start the season. I’m not saying let them practice bad either but some kids are just gamers at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Shid Gbenda may look lost but he’s going 100mph doing it, and head hunting while he’s going.. like I said Brock is probably the better one from the players I named, but honestly what has he done that would make an significant impact if he wasn’t on the field!???!

25 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Shid Gbenda may look lost but he’s going 100mph doing it, and head hunting while he’s going.. like I said Brock is probably the better one from the players I named, but honestly what has he done that would make an significant impact if he wasn’t on the field!???!

You know this is currently a massive issue for the defense right now.

Brock isn't gonna wow you with athleticism, but he usually wraps up on his tackles. Zach Evans is an elite back and made him pay for his genetics, it happens.

BJ Foster was a 5 star recruit, but he's one of the liabilities on defense. These guys need to learn the fundamentals before their athleticism starts to make a difference.

41 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Gbenda has been god awful every time he plays. He was blowing assignments and giving up huge run plays even against Rice and ULL. He’s looked like a significant downgrade from Brock every time he’s seen the field. 

Not that anyone cares, but I’m tired of reading the bullshit on Brockermeyer. (The quoted post is not that I realize). He may not be an elite athlete, but I’m reasonably confident he’s one of our best, if not best, at diagnosing a play. Hell, I’m not sure he isn’t one of the better at doing so in years here. He’s had an impact in the passing game. Outside of Overshown he’s done better than any LB in memory in that aspect. But yeah I wouldn’t expect him to chase Deuce Vaughn on a wheel route or chase a Devonta Smith on a deep crosser. He’s played virtually NONE prior to this year. He’s one of our least experienced defenders coming into this year so maybe expect some growing pains. But let’s keep clamoring for guys who have more experience (not much though) that clearly are not making plays when given the chance. In some ways, he’s the guy every team needs. A role player, who does his job. Who’s worked for it and likely earned it. Yes, the guys not starting need to be counted on more but the two starters are our best.

He was not in on Brooks 60 yard run. He would have been there to make the tackle on the game winning TD had he not been wrapped up by the blocker. He would have gotten off the block with a spin move had the jackass not had his left arm holding on the backside when his head was on the opposite side. Missing tackles is no excuse, but his arm/shoulder is clearly less than 100 percent, but he doesn’t miss at a higher clip than anyone else. And he gives you effort. He does make some tackles. You’re full of shit too if you think there are many LBers that can consistently take on guards or tackles yet run with a Brooks or Evans and win damn near every time.

In the off-season, I don’t give a damn if he gains a pound but would work on adding a step because that would make a huge difference. Now 10 pounds and a step awesome.

It’s not like one position or one player is killing our defense so singling out one dude is pretty dumb. Then some of you shitheads are pretty extreme with respect to Brockermeyer (and Bush). Personally I’d put Bush at LBer to see what he has there. He’s not afraid to mix it up and plays with effort. And again of you punks, he holds up well given the size difference. He’s just not going to win straight up often.

Now, what you might do is consider that both OU and Pig had 23 points with about 2:30 left to go in the 3rd. That’s not terrible so why in the hell did the wheels fall off for the defense in both those games? Part of that is the offense regardless of whether we scored 48 or not versus OU. But what else?

you can go back to clamoring for guys from the Portal. I mean Toto and Wanya and Gray obviously all played like 5* stars last year and that’s why Tennessee whipped all sorts of ass.

Moving forward, Collins needs to play like his billing. Maybe Davis will get some more run. The safeties need to make more tackles. I’m not talking fewer missed tackles only but being quicker to fill gaps in the run game and keeping those longer runs to 8 yards or less. This week is an excellent test because the OSU offense isn’t exactly good but they’re healthier and rested. We’re also coming off a gut wrenching loss.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You know this is currently a massive issue for the defense right now.

Brock isn't gonna wow you with athleticism, but he usually wraps up on his tackles. Zach Evans is an elite back and made him pay for his genetics, it happens.

BJ Foster was a 5 star recruit, but he's one of the liabilities on defense. These guys need to learn the fundamentals before their athleticism starts to make a difference.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Gbenda has been god awful every time he plays. He was blowing assignments and giving up huge run plays even against Rice and ULL. He’s looked like a significant downgrade from Brock every time he’s seen the field. 

Why I said dumb down the playbook at least until you get some players in that can run your system better.. Just let the players play fast, sometimes less is more.
I just think there is a higher ceiling with Gbenda at least until you can get better players, instead of settling and still giving up 45pts a game, but idk maybe that’s better than 50pts the way you guys put it 

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Why I said dumb down the playbook at least until you get some players in that can run your system better.. Just let the players play fast, sometimes less is more.
I just think there is a higher ceiling with Gbenda at least until you can get better players, instead of settling and still giving up 45pts a game, but idk maybe that’s better than 50pts the way you guys put it 

If a player can't play with gap integrity or read OL keys to even figure out where they are supposed to go, that's not really a scheme issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Not that anyone cares, but I’m tired of reading the bullshit on Brockermeyer. (The quoted post is not that I realize). He may not be an elite athlete, but I’m reasonably confident he’s one of our best, if not best, at diagnosing a play. Hell, I’m not sure he isn’t one of the better at doing so in years here. He’s had an impact in the passing game. Outside of Overshown he’s done better than any LB in memory in that aspect. But yeah I wouldn’t expect him to chase Deuce Vaughn on a wheel route or chase a Devonta Smith on a deep crosser. He’s played virtually NONE prior to this year. He’s one of our least experienced defenders coming into this year so maybe expect some growing pains. But let’s keep clamoring for guys who have more experience (not much though) that clearly are not making plays when given the chance. In some ways, he’s the guy every team needs. A role player, who does his job. Who’s worked for it and likely earned it. Yes, the guys not starting need to be counted on more but the two starters are our best.

He was not in on Brooks 60 yard run. He would have been there to make the tackle on the game winning TD had he not been wrapped up by the blocker. He would have gotten off the block with a spin move had the jackass not had his left arm holding on the backside when his head was on the opposite side. Missing tackles is no excuse, but his arm/shoulder is clearly less than 100 percent, but he doesn’t miss at a higher clip than anyone else. And he gives you effort. He does make some tackles. You’re full of shit too if you think there are many LBers that can consistently take on guards or tackles yet run with a Brooks or Evans and win damn near every time.

In the off-season, I don’t give a damn if he gains a pound but would work on adding a step because that would make a huge difference. Now 10 pounds and a step awesome.

It’s not like one position or one player is killing our defense so singling out one dude is pretty dumb. Then some of you shitheads are pretty extreme with respect to Brockermeyer (and Bush). Personally I’d put Bush at LBer to see what he has there. He’s not afraid to mix it up and plays with effort. And again of you punks, he holds up well given the size difference. He’s just not going to win straight up often.

Now, what you might do is consider that both OU and Pig had 23 points with about 2:30 left to go in the 3rd. That’s not terrible so why in the hell did the wheels fall off for the defense in both those games? Part of that is the offense regardless of whether we scored 48 or not versus OU. But what else?

you can go back to clamoring for guys from the Portal. I mean Toto and Wanya and Gray obviously all played like 5* stars last year and that’s why Tennessee whipped all sorts of ass.

Moving forward, Collins needs to play like his billing. Maybe Davis will get some more run. The safeties need to make more tackles. I’m not talking fewer missed tackles only but being quicker to fill gaps in the run game and keeping those longer runs to 8 yards or less. This week is an excellent test because the OSU offense isn’t exactly good but they’re healthier and rested. We’re also coming off a gut wrenching loss.

We are getting better LB play compared last year (Brockermeyer is an upgrade over whatever Juwan Mitchell offered). The biggest difference is we don't have a Joseph Ossai up front or Chris Brown in the backend. 

The Jett Bush slander isn't surprising at this point because every year we have to find someone to throw under the bus. He's not in the top 5 reasons Texas is allowing 300 yards on the ground. They are having to play him because the dudes behind him either a) aren't close to being ready b) don't love football or c) aren't good.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The biggest difference is we don't have a Joseph Ossai up front or Chris Brown in the backend. 

Yep. Those were probably our two best players on D last year. Ossai was far and away our best player and Herman left absolutely nothing to replace him with. Like literally nothing, Jones, Bush and Dorbah were pretty much the only returning edge players from last year’s team. That is pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Those were probably our two best players on D last year. Ossai was far and away our best player and Herman left absolutely nothing to replace him with. Like literally nothing, Jones, Bush and Dorbah were pretty much the only returning edge players from last year’s team. That is pathetic. 

That’s why the argument that Chris Ash or some other DC would be doing so much better is laughable. Who were Herman and Ash planning on deploying off the edge this year? They weren’t getting anyone from the portal who was better than the 2 or 3 dudes Sark picked up that were JAGS.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

We are getting better LB play compared last year (Brockermeyer is an upgrade over whatever Juwan Mitchell offered). The biggest difference is we don't have a Joseph Ossai up front or Chris Brown in the backend. 
The Jett Bush slander isn't surprising at this point because every year we have to find someone to throw under the bus. He's not in the top 5 reasons Texas is allowing 300 yards on the ground. They are having to play him because the dudes behind him either a) aren't close to being ready b) don't love football or c) aren't good.

I kinda forgot about Brown, but you are right on all this. Missing Brown is an underrated point.

It’s probably time to force it with Collins if it’s A. If it’s B, not sure what you do. Maybe the same.

Truthfully I think all our guys that start are giving effort and making some plays. It’s a matter of finding that consistency of effort. OU just made plays, got fortunate timing on a few (3) almost maybe fumbles, got away with a few things. The numbers look awful, but it wasn’t due to lack of effort (except maybe the last drive or two) and never making a play. It was a very unique game in many ways.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

With an offense this elite, the goal needs to be stopping big plays and making teams have 10+ play drives if they want to score a TD. We won’t be good, but we won’t be god awful either. 

Agree. At halftime my exact thoughts were: as long as we score at least 10 more points 🙃and limit big plays on defense🙃  we'll be good.

Punchline: OU had seven plays that combined for over 300 yards.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I kinda forgot about Brown, but you are right on all this. Missing Brown is an underrated point.

It’s probably time to force it with Collins if it’s A. If it’s B, not sure what you do. Maybe the same.

Truthfully I think all our guys that start are giving effort and making some plays. It’s a matter of finding that consistency of effort. OU just made plays, got fortunate timing on a few (3) almost maybe fumbles, got away with a few things. The numbers look awful, but it wasn’t due to lack of effort (except maybe the last drive or two) and never making a play. It was a very unique game in many ways.

I’m sure they’ll find a way to get Collins on the edge more with the Jacoby Jones injury but he’s likely only a 20-30 snaps a game guy right now. Bush is probably going to be getting 20-30 snaps well and that’s not changing anytime soon.

PK probably has two options:

1) Abandon playing the safeties deep and start dialing them up more in run support, which opens up our already shaky deep pass defense. This is not ideal against guys like Spencer Sandwrs who can throw the ball a mile but might work against teams with weaker QB play like WVU/Baylor. *Another huge issue is our two safeties are not a great fit for what PK ask them to do. Foster is not someone who should be playing 30 yards back covering centerfield.*

2) Get bigger on the edge. Bump out Collins and/or Ojomo and give up some pass rush for the hope of slowing down the running game at the point of the attack.

I have a feeling PK is going to go with option 2 and continue to *try* to take away the explosive pass plays.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m sure they’ll find a way to get Collins on the edge more with the Jacoby Jones injury but he’s likely only a 20-30 snaps a game guy right now. Bush is probably going to be getting 20-30 snaps well and that’s not changing anytime soon.

1) Abandon playing the safeties deep and start dialing them up more in run support, which opens up our already shaky deep pass defense. This is not ideal against guys like Spencer Sandwrs who can throw the ball a mile but might work against teams with weaker QB play like WVU/Baylor. *Another huge issue is our two safeties are not a great fit for what PK ask them to do. Foster is not someone who should be playing 30 yards back covering centerfield.*

2) Get bigger on the edge. Bump out Collins and/or Ojomo and give up some pass rush for the hope of slowing down the running game at the point of the attack.

I have a feeling PK is going to go with option 2 and continue to *try* to take away the explosive pass plays.

Never forget that Ian Boyd said BJ Foster was a perfect scheme fit as a Cover 1 deep safety in PK’s defense this offseason. Those were about 4,000 words Ian Boyd actually typed and hit publish on. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Never forget that Ian Boyd said BJ Foster was a perfect scheme fit as a Cover 1 deep safety in PK’s defense this offseason. Those were about 4,000 words Ian Boyd actually typed and hit publish on. 

In his defense, I don’t think he expected PK to be playing both safeties in Round Rock and then ask them to run up at full speed to make 1 v 1 tackles (or in BJ’s case throw a shoulder at the guy).

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think Jeff Howe said it, but swap cook and foster, and let foster help more in the run. 

I’m not overly concerned about our pass defense in spite of the numbers. I think Jamison had gone 400 pass attempts without allowing a TD before Tech got him twice. He gave up the sideline play on OUs first TD drive. Or did he? That was not bad coverage. Then the throw to the back corner, for a TD, but his reaction made me wonder if that was someone else’s job. Thompson has done reasonably well. Yards after catch have been limited as well. One long throw was over Foster and one over Dunn, and both were nice catches. Arkansas got a long one over Jamison but maybe was that the safety issue? Otherwise, their pass game was not much. I’m confident in Jamison, Cook and Josh. Outside of 4 plays, OU pass offense was average at best. So we’ve really played one half of poor pass defense.

I do believe we brought in Barron for Brock on a 3rd and long so maybe there are options for obvious passing downs to get more speed and coverage on the back end.

As to your options, either is reasonable. But……

As we evaluate OU, their offense was largely 7 plays. Three, if not four, should have been negated by penalty. One was a trick play. One was a missed tackle on an otherwise sound defensive play. One was a jump ball. Two of the four potential penalties were great catches. Not certain how many of those are repeatable. So would you say we’d do something different?

Contrast that with our 7 big plays. One was a great throw but an open receiver. One was a nice diving catch to a slightly overthrown yet open receiver. One was a nice Bijan run but nothing we haven’t already seen a dozen times this year. Maybe there was a hold not called at the point of attack that could have negated it. All of ours are repeatable and just flat out beat the defense.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

When your defense sucks this bad, you have to simplify and find an identity. There will be ways for teams to beat that, but it’s better than getting beaten by everything. I hope we run Thornton-Ojomo-Sweat-Collins on the DL so we can at least hold up against the run and not be so committed to always having a 6 man box.The pass is more important than the run but our DBs will get beat in pass coverage even when they’re in position. Taking away the big runs is much more within PK’s control. 

I’d prefer Quarters behind it, but My guess is PK would lean towards playing Cover 3 while mixing in some Cover 1. Either way, it’s time to get a box heavy enough to stop the run and simplify behind it.  With an offense this elite, the goal needs to be stopping big plays and making teams have 10+ play drives if they want to score a TD. We won’t be good, but we won’t be god awful either. 

Man, cover 1 seems like a waste as whomever is back there is pretty much guarding grass. We don't have the range at safety to make plays on the ball in the air from that set. Sad. So I think your cover 3 call is what we will see. We need to do something, anything about our front. It would be nice to say this is your gap, attack it, and let the dogs eat like Muschamp used to. I think we would see a more effective front. Collins looked effective out at 7 when we've seen him. Maybe that's a way to generate pressure on obvious passing downs? As it stands we have to do something to get these guys thinking less and more flying around. They are playing slow, and that usually means paralysis by analysis.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Man, cover 1 seems like a waste as whomever is back there is pretty much guarding grass. We don't have the range at safety to make plays on the ball in the air from that set. Sad. So I think your cover 3 call is what we will see. We need to do something, anything about our front. It would be nice to say this is your gap, attack it, and let the dogs eat like Muschamp used to. I think we would see a more effective front. Collins looked effective out at 7 when we've seen him. Maybe that's a way to generate pressure on obvious passing downs? As it stands we have to do something to get these guys thinking less and more flying around. They are playing slow, and that usually means paralysis by analysis.

but Brock is great at diagnosing the play!!.....which of course no one knows except the coaches.

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We are actually something like #25 in pressure rate in passing situations.  PK is good at manufacturing pressure, but we are pretty terrible on standard downs.  Some of that is missing a natural pass rusher and some of that is scheme.

• Hook 'Em 1

Demarvion reminds me of Breckyn. His armbands are like Breckyn’s hair. Both guys are the heart and soul of this D, but they are flying around out there trying to stop plays and it doesn’t always work in our favor. I’d rather have consistent play all season instead of having a few huge plays mixed with mediocre tackles.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Name 3 better on this team and show your work asshole.

like all the work you showed here, asshole?  lots of words doesn't mean you "showed work" on how he can diagnose plays better than anyone else on the team.

like all the work you showed here, asshole?  lots of words doesn't mean you "showed work" on how he can diagnose plays better than anyone else on the team.

Yeah like all that work I showed. That part was in jest. I wouldn’t expect a solitary soul here to show much of their own work.

But assuming you’re post was shit talking my post, the descriptor of you was appropriate. And the same term of me in return would be appropriate. Think you took it a step with the condescending bullshit of saying “great” play diagnoser when that was never stated. But that’d be something else since we’ve been LBU lately. If not, then my apologies.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:48 AM, D3zii said:

can we please move this guy to defense, I’m sure he can’t be any worse than what we have

8E9CEB28-27F4-40C4-82C0-63BE939CA50E.jpeg

He doesn't want to play defense, and even if he did, he's not some instant pass rush guy. He's developmental curve is much higher on defense than on offense.

Fuck injuries, this defense with Floyd might be a bit better.

Edited by HtownHorn

35 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah like all that work I showed. That part was in jest. I wouldn’t expect a solitary soul here to show much of their own work.

But assuming you’re post was shit talking my post, the descriptor of you was appropriate. And the same term of me in return would be appropriate. Think you took it a step with the condescending bullshit of saying “great” play diagnoser when that was never stated. But that’d be something else since we’ve been LBU lately. If not, then my apologies.

fair enough. it will be Mr. Asshole for you from now on.  we are collegial at Surly.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

We are actually something like #25 in pressure rate in passing situations.  PK is good at manufacturing pressure, but we are pretty terrible on standard downs.  Some of that is missing a natural pass rusher and some of that is scheme.

I would've never thought we are that high. Seems like we struggle mightily getting pressure. Guess all the standard downs makes it feel like that.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

I would've never thought we are that high. Seems like we struggle mightily getting pressure. Guess all the standard downs makes it feel like that.

yeah that seems high but williams actually got pressured on some of his passes.  they just completed them.  Rattler was getting pressured as well, the 3 and 19 ref gift was pressure.

if pressure doesn't get you an incomplete or end up with a stop on that series it doesn't really matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sarkisian on if his defense is playing physical enough: "I think we're playing plenty physical. We've had great stretches of stopping the run and affecting the quarterback. At the end of the day, you have to get people on the ground. You can play as physical as you want, but if you miss the tackle that's not a successful play."

I've been making my way through the game. Most of OUs 3rd quarter drives were supported by missed tackles and bad angles. Overshown and Schooler stood out in that regard.

Foster's poor effort against the run is also a consistent theme throughout the game.

The defense doesn't look hopeless like it has under past coordinators. They played pretty well in general.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

The defense doesn't look hopeless like it has under past coordinators. They played pretty well in general.

Agreed.  It's really weird to rewatch because the game came down to giving up way too many huge plays, but playing well the other 90% of snaps.  We pretty much smothered their zone rushes and those were the bulk of their plays.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Agreed.  It's really weird to rewatch because the game came down to giving up way too many huge plays, but playing well the other 90% of snaps.  We pretty much smothered their zone rushes and those were the bulk of their plays.

Same with TCU. Played well up until their final offensive drive on defense. It really does appear that when the offense struggles just a little the defense also struggles a lot. It has bitten us twice now in both of the losses.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?