Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s pure hubris. You don’t go from a highly sought after coordinator to drooling moron overnight.  

Refusing to alter your scheme when your personnel can’t run it. We’ve seen that before and the results  

You can’t have Coburn in the doghouse when the whole unit is shit. 

fuck this guy

excuse me?  Coburn has been shit this whole fucking season.  Sweat/Murphy should both be ahead of him.  If anyone is in the dog house it seems to be Collins and Sorrell.. and they need to get them out on the field a lot more.

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem we have is not having DEs.  Whether it's generating pressure or holding an edge, we don't really have a single conventional DE on the roster.  Maybe down the roster in someone like Dorbah, but no one playing this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JBJ said:

I think the biggest problem we have is not having DEs.  Whether it's generating pressure or holding an edge, we don't really have a single conventional DE on the roster.  Maybe down the roster in someone like Dorbah, but no one playing this year.

which is why we gotta make sure Finkley and Tapp remain in the class.  These guys will elevate the floor immediately.

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

Asking the supposed strength of the defense (DL) to eat blocks and funnel the playmaking to the weak links of the defense (LB and Safeties) has been a recipe for disaster and we've cooked several batches already this season.

Nothing fucks up a college offense like a DL that can penetrate and disrupt. 

I thought his defense was all about the dline penetrating, hell I know good and fucking well we talked about it when he was hired. wtf?

55 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

But when lined up this way, the numbers advantage is neutralized. You're inviting the very type of play OU ran, against one of the weakest links in our defense, personnel wise.  

And this is exactly why player ability and scheme work so hand in hand. Sure, it’s possible an elite talent could have single handedly made the play and tackled the RB. But we don’t have that guy. And schematically, we always hear how smart Lincoln is…well he knew how we’d line up and probably figured it’d work every time. He was right. I’m sure presnap they knew it was gonna be successful.

Texas was(is) deficient in players and scheme. When the player ability is fairly close, it’s all about scheme and leverage. Give the other team deficiencies in personnel…even easier. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

DJ Harris is a 6’2, 225lb true freshman edge rusher. If you’re not happy with Bush this year, then Harris almost certainly isn’t the answer. He’s smaller and probably much less assignment sound than Bush. I like Harris a lot as a prospect but not this year. 

The real problem is we took almost no good edge rush prospects between Ossai and Harris. Dorbah was one of the only high-rated edge guys we took and he’s been a bust. 

I know who Harris is, I watched him in high school and followed him on recruiting boards.  All state 2 years.  I honestly had never heard of Bush before he showed up mainly this year ( I know how he was placed on scholly).

Right now Bush outweighs him by what 10 pounds.  No comparison in weight room from what I hear.  Speed?  We won’t even go there.  Assignment sound?  Coaching and yes experience.  Really how much university on field experience did Bush have prior to this year.

I know Harris isn’t today what he should become.  I also know he is one hell of an athlete.  I would like to see more athleticism on the field.  I think we have better athletes that I would like to see playing if only situational than the two BBs.

I just mentioned Harris.  As others on this board are saying, there are others we question about playing opportunities.   Bottom line, as we are questioning our overall team talent we may also wonder why some highly recruited players and even portals  are riding the sidelines.  Can’t we wonder?  Coaching? Maybe, maybe not.  As I said in another post, we will know in another 2-3 years.  

Edited by ruitxn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

But when lined up this way, the numbers advantage is neutralized. You're inviting the very type of play OU ran, against one of the weakest links in our defense, personnel wise.  

i gotcha. so you want us to play the numbers away from the strength of the offense! what a novel approach. and what exactly do you think OU is going to do when we play numbers away from the 3x1 formation where the #3 receiver is lined up as a sniffer/HB to the field side with the back on the backside???  Again, our alignment on this play was traditional. We outnumbered OU on the boundary side. We just executed very, very poorly.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

From earlier this week... Just adding to this thread

Good time to bump this up... Re-watching I still feel strongly that PK is the right guy for this job. I'm looking at his year 2 Washington as what might lie ahead for Texas as well. He obviously a guy not set in any scheme or the past. By his actions at Washington he's also shown his ego isn't something that should be a concern. He's looking for solutions.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is for us old fuckers. Those of us who can remember Texas vs Penn St 1984, when Texas won 28-3. Texas won that game at Giant Stadium thanks to Fred Akers outcoaching Joe Paterno.  Texas came out with an unbalance line that day.  Where ou used three tight ends in this game, Akers employed three tackles outside the center to create an unbalanced line.   Perhaps Sandusky was in the showers fucking an 11 year old, or perhaps he was just day dreaming of doing that after the game, but he never made the adjustment to get even numbers on the side we went unbalanced.  PK similarly never made adjustments to even the numbers when ou went to 13 personnel.  They outnumbered us each time they went to that formation and we never made adjustments to correct it.  ou gained over 330 yards on 7 fucking plays.  The counter with an unbalanced 13 personnel line dominated us and we never made the in game adjustments to stop it.  It wasn't about tackling; on the walk off run we didn't touch the runner because we never adjusted to the numbers advantage they had on the left side of the line.  

Edited by alphahorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

9 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Scip would complain about any S&C coach. He maybe right, I  dont know. Becton is not an innovator, but given his history I dont think he is necessarily a negative. The term JAG comes  to mind. The real issue is the defense is bad. The edges are held up by the likes of Jett Bush, when simple physics will tell you he isnt going to win many match-ups. The defense is set up to funnel plays to the LBs and Safeties, when neither are very good or tackle particularly well. Those are much bigger issues right now, than asking how many squats Texas did this year. 

Jett Bush and other personnel decisions is what bothers me the most about PK. There are players getting meaningful snaps that have no business being on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

This is for us old fuckers. Those of us who can remember Texas vs Penn St 1984, when Texas won 28-3. Texas won that game at Giant Stadium thanks to Fred Akers outcoaching Joe Paterno.  Texas came out with an unbalance line that day.  Where ou used three tight ends in this game, Akers employed three tackles outside the center to create an unbalanced line.   Perhaps Sandusky was in the showers fucking an 11 year old, or perhaps he was just day dreaming of doing that after the game, but he never made the adjustment to get even numbers on the side we went unbalanced.  PK similarly never made adjustments to even the numbers when ou went to 13 personnel.  They outnumbered us each time they went to that formation and we never made adjustments to correct it.  ou gained over 330 yards on 7 fucking plays.  The counter with an unbalanced 13 personnel line dominated us and we never made the in game adjustments to stop it.  It wasn't about tackling; on the walk off run we didn't touch the runner because we never adjusted to the numbers advantage they had on the left side of the line.  

The unbalance was to the opposite side they ran to, wasn’t it?   It was direct snap counter.   Just another way to run their bread and butter except the counter motion was by their QB not the RB.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The unbalance was to the opposite side they ran to, wasn’t it?   It was direct snap counter.   Just another way to run their bread and butter except the counter motion was by their QB not the RB.  

I can't find a good video of that last play where I can freeze the pre snap set up.  Perhaps you're correct, but the principle is the same., they created a numbers advantage by pulling and/or alignment that we never adjusted to

Edited by alphahorn

5 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Sark flat out said the problem was players trying to make a play and not doing their job so either Sark is a piece of shit that's protecting his DC by blaming the players or we had players not doing their job.

Whose fault do you think it is if the players aren’t doing their jobs? 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

330 yards on 7 plays… that is a ridiculous statistic. Just like during the Arkansas game, we bent a bunch and then we broke in a spectacular fashion. So is it S&C or defensive coaching? It’s hard to be this bad without a systemic issue going on. 

It’s lack of depth, coaching, and lack of difference makers.  

• Rage+1 1

Been putting off rewatching the game until now. Talk as much shit as you want about the defense, they got Oklahoma to plenty 3rd and longs. Watch every explosive play OU had and just about every DL player is being held. 
I hate to be “blame the refs” guy but Sark has to get on the field and chew someone’s ass. Maybe he did it and I couldn’t see it on the TV feed. JFC. 

Also, the Jett Bush experiment needs to end. Our defensive depth is shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I’m tired of the S and C argument. That isn’t the problem.

Lowest hanging fruit that can’t be proven. But since Scipio mentioned it now expect other dipshits especially from IT to push the shit narrative. Just as they’ve pushed the “qb controversy” narrative because of IT staff. 

• Fuck You 1

Just a random thought watching a Colts DB use the Texas shoulder charge method to tackle. Is the shoulder tackle some poor attempt to avoid targeting?

I don't know what d coaches are doing to teach avoidance of that penalty.

Edited by pacman

Been putting off rewatching the game until now. Talk as much shit as you want about the defense, they got Oklahoma to plenty 3rd and longs. Watch every explosive play OU had and just about every DL player is being held. 
I hate to be “blame the refs” guy but Sark has to get on the field and chew someone’s ass. Maybe he did it and I couldn’t see it on the TV feed. JFC. 

Also, the Jett Bush experiment needs to end. Our defensive depth is shit. 

I know on the long Brooks run almost fumble. The hold was blatant and at the point of attack. Same on his TD run. That’s 100 yards of offense. Should have been walking 10 back each time. These are within a foot or two of the ball carrier for a minimal gain or at least changing the trajectory of the play.

I just have a hard time being critical of the defense in those cases.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

I can't find a good video of that last play where I can freeze the pre snap set up.  Perhaps you're correct, but the principle is the same., they created a numbers advantage by pulling and/or alignment that we never adjusted to

I posted it upthread.

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

On the game winning play for OU, what's the thinking behind having such an unbalanced defensive front? Looks like we have Sweat over the center and our edge guy outside of the tackle. The gap(s) between I guess are covered by Brockermeyer?  Seems like a bad plan given our personnel limitations. Also, seems to begging OU to run a counter right into this - which is exactly what they love to do and in fact did: easy to block down the out-leveraged lineman and outnumber us at the point of attack.  It seems like a more balanced traditional look would have helped us here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m rewatching the game, quick  thought. Saban convinced Travon Diggs to move from WR to CB. Riley convinced Bowman to move from WR to DB. Mostly do they can get on the field as freshman. 

Depth at DE is zero yet Sanders can’t be convinced to play defense this season? Watch the DL rotations. Bush played the entire 3rd, came out for one play. Start the 4th and Ogofu is in. First play he hits Williams(should have been a fumble). Next play he tackles Brooks. He and Sorrel were doing things. 

41-33 Bush and Thornton back in. I’m not watching any longer. Fuck the idiot making these rotations.

19 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

On the game winning play for OU, what's the thinking behind having such an unbalanced defensive front? Looks like we have Sweat over the center and our edge guy outside of the tackle. The gap(s) between I guess are covered by Brockermeyer?  Seems like a bad plan given our personnel limitations. Also, seems to begging OU to run a counter right into this - which is exactly what they love to do and in fact did: easy to block down the out-leveraged lineman and outnumber us at the point of attack.  It seems like a more balanced traditional look would have helped us here.  

This is a great play that shows the weakness of Overshown and LBs in general. His eyes are locked in the backfield and he is not reading the triangle. He completely misses the guard pulling. I can not imagine that has not been drilled multiple times to Overshown. That is OU's bread and butter play for years. 

10 hours ago, pacman said:

Just a random thought watching a Colts DB use the Texas shoulder charge method to tackle. Is the shoulder tackle some poor attempt to avoid targeting?

I don't know what d coaches are doing to teach avoidance of that penalty.

Back shoulder through runner's hips, tackle from the side or behind.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is a great play that shows the weakness of Overshown and LBs in general. His eyes are locked in the backfield and he is not reading the triangle. He completely misses the guard pulling. I can not imagine that has not been drilled multiple times to Overshown. That is OU's bread and butter play for years. 

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?