Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

If we had time I'd like to see Foster in Cook's role closer to the LOS and Cook tried at Safety. 

Not sure how that'd work out but Foster is better when he's not in space. Been really happy with Cook

The only time I remember Foster being effective is near the LOS. Never understood why he was taken out of that role.

Playing DB requires playing with confidence. Our guys panic way too much when the ball is in the air. Both Foster and Dunn were in position to be able to make a play on the ball and both ended up stumbling/falling away from where the ball was going. It's maddening. Not sure what PK is supposed to do about individual effort like that until we get better talent.

As a coach at any level of this defense what do you say in tape sessions besides you guys have to give better effort to get off blocks and make tackles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, maninblack said:

If we had time I'd like to see Foster in Cook's role closer to the LOS and Cook tried at Safety. 

Not sure how that'd work out but Foster is better when he's not in space. Been really happy with Cook

Maybe, but Foster missed the fucking tackle at the LOS when Williams broke out on his big run. He doesn't tackle that well, either. Certainly not up to his 5-star HS rating.

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Playing DB requires playing with confidence. Our guys panic way too much when the ball is in the air. Both Foster and Dunn were in position to be able to make a play on the ball and both ended up stumbling/falling away from where the ball was going. It's maddening. Not sure what PK is supposed to do about individual effort like that until we get better talent.

As a coach at any level of this defense what do you say in tape sessions besides you guys have to give better effort to get off blocks and make tackles. 

As a DL, you've gotta embrace hand-to-hand combat and flat out refuse to stay blocked. Rip, club, swim, spin, whatever, especially on obvious passing downs. You just can't "dance" and let these OL get their hands on your shoulders, bc then you're done.

Officials rarely call holding then, even if it's obvious.

10 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

As a DL, you've gotta embrace hand-to-hand combat and flat out refuse to stay blocked. Rip, club, swim, spin, whatever, especially on obvious passing downs. You just can't "dance" and let these OL get their hands on your shoulders, bc then you're done.

Sounds like you're describing one Keondre Coburn

I believe that was Jerrin Thompson that dived at his ankles for some inexplicably reason.

BJ had backside pursuit on that play but didn’t look like he was trying very hard until Williams broke free.

Linebackers look like they hit the same hole on that play as well

Maybe, but Foster missed the fucking tackle at the LOS when Williams broke out on his big run. He doesn't tackle that well, either. Certainly not up to his 5-star HS rating.

This is wrong on the missed tackle. Jerrin missed. He also should have a had a sack, but he didn’t play it smartly. Jerrin that is.

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah but you can’t give up bigger plays in the running game than the passing game imo. The hope is that inaccurate QB play helps you at the very least. As it stands we aren’t stopping anything and have to start somewhere surely

In today's game with running QBs, read plays, and counters, if you load up against the run and they pop one it's going to the house. Especially with a bad D-line. In '10 when we had to play a DE at 3 tech teams kept gashing us right over him, and every run seemed like it was 30 yards or more. Loading up against the run can sometimes be worse than keeping layers if your D-front isn't sound. All it takes is one gap.

Yesterday was funny because we couldn't stop anything. Jump balls. Toes on sideline. Everything was going their way. I just laughed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I don’t give three fucks about “personnel.” These motherfuckers are paid a fuckton of money to fucking coach football. Any of us on here who actually do real shit for a living live and die by RESULTS.

Every single motherfucking cocksucking mouth breathing fucktard that is in anyway associated with the so called “defense” should be too fucking embarrassed to even show up at work Monday.

But no. We now live in a candyass fucking handout society where nothing is earned, failure is not punished, and mediocrity is the baseline, and anything that accidentally exceeds that is considered “success.”

There is NOTHING that this Piankowski or whatever the fuck his name is brings to the table that any of the high school coaches in the Central Texas area couldn’t do.

So yeah…it’s “only been six games….” But I’ve been watching the shit for damn near 50 years. He fucking sucks donkey dick, we know he won’t be DC here forever, so we need to accelerate the future and get rid of his worthless motherfucking ass tomorrow.

9cc966f36816e05a3539b2a08242c3f7ac1da802

You get paid a million bucks a year to coach big time college football?  I don't fucking care if you have to start 11 walk ons, you never get Madden'ed.  AKA beaten by one play over and over again while you cluelessly watch from your ivory tower and make zero adjustments. His inability to stop one fucking run play is a huge indictment on his coordinator chops and a Diaz-sized red flag.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing and inexcusable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

The only time I remember Foster being effective is near the LOS. Never understood why he was taken out of that role.

Nah, Cook is balling leave him be. I would like to see Coffey get some of Fosters snaps. Foster plays like he’s tired at times so he obviously is playing to much and needs to sit his ass on the sideline. 

49 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Just have to keep repping in practice. deep ball drills, get off blocks and tackle drills until it becomes 2nd nature. But still at the same time Game reps are always going to be the best practice. 

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

In today's game with running QBs, read plays, and counters, if you load up against the run and they pop one it's going to the house. Especially with a bad D-line. In '10 when we had to play a DE at 3 tech teams kept gashing us right over him, and every run seemed like it was 30 yards or more. Loading up against the run can sometimes be worse than keeping layers if your D-front isn't sound. All it takes is one gap.

Yesterday was funny because we couldn't stop anything. Jump balls. Toes on sideline. Everything was going their way. I just laughed.

I mean we couldn’t stop it against Arkansas so it clearly a problem. Tho to be fair we also gave up huge passes to tech. So maybe it’s a no win

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

The defensive front last year seemed to control the LOS much better last year with the same players.  

For some reason Alfred Collins and Coburn seem to have regressed.  Is it the scheme?

Lost Taquon and Ossai. Both went to the NFL. I believe Taquon was top 3 in run defense at DT in the Big12 according to PFF. Replace Ossai with Bush and Thorton. Ojomo replaced TQ. Replacements haven’t played anywhere near Ossai or TQ levels. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

We keep wanting coaches who can make "chicken salad out of chicken shit."  First off, that may not be a reasonable expectation.  And, even if it was a reasonable expectation, that coach or coaches may not be who we want long term.  It seems the best coaches have schemes and they're pretty rigid about them.

Moreover, expecting a coach to wholly remake a roster in one offseason, by portal or 'crootin, is flat unreasonable in college football today.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We keep wanting coaches who can make "chicken salad out of chicken shit."  First off, that may not be a reasonable expectation.  And, even if it was a reasonable expectation, that coach or coaches may not be who we want long term.  It seems the best coaches have schemes and they're pretty rigid about them.

Moreover, expecting a coach to wholly remake a roster in one offseason, by portal or 'crootin, is flat unreasonable in college football today.

Is it unreasonable to expect your DC to make a backup QB uncomfortable? Personnel is lacking but his game plan against Caleb was trash. Sark’s game plan on offense was also trash in the 2H, overexposed his defense. Coaching matters. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Is it unreasonable to expect your DC to make a backup QB uncomfortable? Personnel is lacking but his game plan against Caleb was trash. Sark’s game plan on offense was also trash in the 2H, overexposed his defense. Coaching matters. 

He tried. We couldn't get home on blitzes. And it's hard to game plan against some one you have no tape on. PK had a stellar game plan for Rattler which worked against us because he got yanked out of the game. With that said Williams beat us by throwing 50/50 balls to Mims, not sure what PK is supposed to do about that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Bottom line is we have oftentimes have guys in position to make tackles, but they don't. And our DBs lack ball skills. D-Line gets pushed around too much when it's supposed to be a deep group collectively. That's not necessarily a scheme problem.
Watch the game or at least the highlights again. It's maddening. 

I do see a scheme problem when there are ends too light to hold the edge, too small and stiff to generate pass rush, and too slow to cover people. I’m not sure what they do. So we have two down lineman and gifting easy first down yards.

That is the Sooners core strategy: win first down and give their team plenty of options. And on defense take away the run game, so they get teams in bad downs. Give yourself options. Limit the options of the other team.

Also, OU has dominated this series since 2007 because they block/hold much better than we do. Consequently, our defense is usually not great at getting off blocks. The defenses that have been good since then have been speed/finesse teams that rally around the football. But more often than not, they are deficient.

He tried. We couldn't get home on blitzes. And it's hard to game plan against some one you have no tape on. PK had a stellar game plan for Rattler which worked against us because he got yanked out of the game. With that said Williams beat us by throwing 50/50 balls to Mims, not sure what PK is supposed to do about that. 

You double Mims. But since we’re so shitty in run defense, that would have been suicide.

5 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Reminds me of our "Dancin" D-line" right now...  

Isn't it weird that Sark hired almost the whole defensive staff before he hired his DC? Could that be part of the problem here? Maybe those position coaches don't have a style that matches well with PK's system.

The only concern would be bo davis and pk/choate, but nah I can’t see that as an issue. It’s a personnel issue, maybe s&c even.
Our guys looked good to begin the game, then they began to get pushed around. My gut says they just are all too willing to see someone else make a play.

8 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

What happened to Gbenda and all the praise he was getting in the offseason? Can't even see the field. 

Tyler Owens is a junior, but still can't see the field. 

Dorbah can't get any snaps over Jett Bush?

What about Ford? Dude looked good in the bowl game. I think Harris is injured, but Gbenda and Ford cannot be as bad as we're seeing being trotted out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

The only concern would be bo davis and pk/choate, but nah I can’t see that as an issue. It’s a personnel issue, maybe s&c even.
Our guys looked good to begin the game, then they began to get pushed around. My gut says they just are all too willing to see someone else make a play.

Hope we get a lot more analysis about the defensive struggles from this past weekend.  Lots of personnel issues on a defense that has no "real stars".  When some of the defensive starters are on the sideline getting a blow, the back-up's really underperform.  

Not seeing much pride or frustration about how poorly guys are playing on defense.  Get off fuckin' blocks, pressure their QB, and play physical.

Our tackling still really sucks -- just don't have any tough guy DAWGS on defense right now...

FUCK

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope we get a lot more analysis about the defensive struggles from this past weekend.  Lots of personnel issues on a defense that has no "real stars".  When some of the defensive starters are on the sideline getting a blow, the back-up's really underperform.  

Not seeing much pride or frustration about how poorly guys are playing on defense.  Get off fuckin' blocks, pressure their QB, and play physical.

Our tackling still really sucks -- just don't have any tough guy DAWGS on defense right now...

FUCK

We can't get any type of pressure without blitzing for the most part.  DEs was a weak position along with LB.  Ford made a good pressure in the first half when Rattler was playing, but I don't remember him playing after that.

There's a huge reason why this staff is recruiting so many DL/LB for the '22 class.  

• Hook 'Em 1

FUCK

Bro, you’re a Lake Travis fan. They play tough, hard nosed D? What do you know about it? In that vein, how come you never see any LT D1 defensive recruits? This last question is a serious one.

Maybe that’s it. We’re a star or two short. I’m not a fan of calling out dudes individually as crappy. Every starter we have has done some nice things. We just need more of it consistently.

I’m not sure what PK requires of his DLine, they seem to play to eat up blocks, but we have no one that constantly requires a double team or so it seems. Our LBs are small so you’ve got to keep them clean. And we do some but then we get gashed. A LB that can run in space against the spread but is great at taking on blocks is a bit like that cover safety that can legit cover a WR. Rare.

Against OU getting off blocks is difficult because of their damn holding. Perfect example is on their last TD. Brockermeyer has his outside shoulder free. He’s in very good position except the shithead Sooner has his left arm wrapped to his back. It’s so egregious that Brock attempts to spin free, but he gets no separation because the blocker locks him up and does not let go. It’s hard to evaluate a defense when rules are not enforced.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Bro, you’re a Lake Travis fan. They play tough, hard nosed D? What do you know about it? In that vein, how come you never see any LT D1 defensive recruits? This last question is a serious one.

Maybe that’s it. We’re a star or two short. I’m not a fan of calling out dudes individually as crappy. Every starter we have has done some nice things. We just need more of it consistently.

I’m not sure what PK requires of his DLine, they seem to play to eat up blocks, but we have no one that constantly requires a double team or so it seems. Our LBs are small so you’ve got to keep them clean. And we do some but then we get gashed. A LB that can run in space against the spread but is great at taking on blocks is a bit like that cover safety that can legit cover a WR. Rare.

Against OU getting off blocks is difficult because of their damn holding. Perfect example is on their last TD. Brockermeyer has his outside shoulder free. He’s in very good position except the shithead Sooner has his left arm wrapped to his back. It’s so egregious that Brock attempts to spin free, but he gets no separation because the blocker locks him up and does not let go. It’s hard to evaluate a defense when rules are not enforced.

Not a Lake Travis fan...

LT is short for "Long Time"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

FUCK

Closest one we have is Overshown, but he overruns too many plays and misses too many tackles. Good, but not great. I'd like to see Collins at DE more often. He bull-rushed OU's left tackle to the ground with a sack. He can't do worse than Bush or the other JAGs we have playing on the edge.

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Closest one we have is Overshown, but he overruns too many plays and misses too many tackles. Good, but not great. I'd like to see Collins at DE more often. He bull-rushed OU's left tackle to the ground with a sack. He can't do worse than Bush or the other JAGs we have playing on the edge.

Totally Agree.  Overshown is still new to playing LB so he can continue to improve.  The terrible play by the D-line is the biggest problem for this defense.  Second is probably poor tackling.  

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?