Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

14 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This coaching position seems cursed.  You couldn't have asked for a better resume on someone who's done it this long in PK and now this?  I'm convinced Sark could have brought in any of the other names mentioned for DC ( Barry Odom, Arnett, Golding, Muschamp, Dan Lanning, ect. ) and nothing would change.

We have some glaring personnel issues. Our defensive front is just, well, there. They cannot get pressure on their own seemingly ever. You have to bring extra bodies. They are not disruptive at all. They either stalemate or get pushed back. Behind them we have one rangy undersized athlete and one try hard. Secondary we are playing a former receiver. Schooler has 9 total tackles on the season. 9 tackles. He has 0 individual plays. 0 tfls. 0 pass breakups. 0 interceptions. To put that in perspective Jerrin Thompson has 17 and 1 tfl.

When we've been good on defense we have NFL level players up front being disruptive without bringing pressure and ball hawks on the back end. Opposing QBs have all day in the pocket and when they escape to the sideline even more time to survey the field. We used to have the kind of speed that made that situation a hurried, inaccurate throw. Now you get what you saw yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We had a lot of guys in place that just couldn’t finish on the play. We had CW stopped in the backfield on the 4th and short, had we been able to tackle. I remember when Manny got shitcanned and Gerg stepped up, it took about two weeks for us to see improved tackling. We could use the same phenomenon again.

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If we had an average pass rush that game is completely different. It was so infuriating with all the bad snaps and not a single person there to punish Oklahoma. 

Yeah, Williams I think is a significant upgrade from Rattler for OU, at the very least in terms of intangibles.  Had he been starting or playing more, they probably wouldn't have looked as pedestrian as they have to this point.

But there's always risk with a green QB and we were wholly unable to exploit that with our "pass rush."

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

They cannot get pressure on their own seemingly ever

There was a play when Rattler was still in where Collins was lined up as a 7 tech and literally threw the OU tackle aside like a rag doll and then wrapped up the QB.  Then for most of the second half we see Jett Bush in there.  Barryn Sorrell played 1 series during that time. Why?   I don’t understand some of the personnel decisions. 

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There was a play when Rattler was still in where Collins was lined up as a 7 tech and literally threw the OU tackle aside like a rag doll and then wrapped up the QB.  Then for most of the second half we see Jett Bush in there.  Barryn Sorrell played 1 series during that time. Why?   I don’t understand some of the personnel decisions. 

This one strikes a nerve. The play on the edges is just bad. Make things worse most of it is by players that aren’t coming back. I don’t won’t to watch below Big 12 player football out of a position, but if I have to watch shitty play can it at least be a young player with upside? At least build for the future. 

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here is what I will say about the personnel decisions. We all question them and then when the dude comes in and sees meaningful snaps we almost always see why he is he backup. Karic is a fine example of that. So I could not tell you why.

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This one strikes a nerve. The play on the edges is just bad. Make things worse most of it is by players that aren’t coming back. I don’t won’t to watch below Big 12 player football out of a position, but if I have to watch shitty play can it at least be a young player with upside? At least build for the future. 

And this is the part of the problem that is our fault as fans and alum. We are never willing to wait for younger guys to get coached up. So coaches feel that pressure here and play the most experienced guys in an effort to get enough wins to buy time. Look at this board. We lost a hard fought game vs OU and people are already calling Sark a fraud. Imagine if he loses 3 more games? Playing the younger guys would cost us a season. A luxury that Sark does not have. Hell, if we have a single bad year defensively PK will be the sacrificial lamb.

I don’t give three fucks about “personnel.” These motherfuckers are paid a fuckton of money to fucking coach football. Any of us on here who actually do real shit for a living live and die by RESULTS.

Every single motherfucking cocksucking mouth breathing fucktard that is in anyway associated with the so called “defense” should be too fucking embarrassed to even show up at work Monday.

But no. We now live in a candyass fucking handout society where nothing is earned, failure is not punished, and mediocrity is the baseline, and anything that accidentally exceeds that is considered “success.”

There is NOTHING that this Piankowski or whatever the fuck his name is brings to the table that any of the high school coaches in the Central Texas area couldn’t do.

So yeah…it’s “only been six games….” But I’ve been watching the shit for damn near 50 years. He fucking sucks donkey dick, we know he won’t be DC here forever, so we need to accelerate the future and get rid of his worthless motherfucking ass tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

the sad reality is that the players are all you have to work with. I get they may need more talent or whatever, but they gotta make what they got be better than this. Or they will never get the talent they want. No one jumps off the page in defense except maybe Overshown. It’s just sickening to watch the defense get blasted and have no answer for anything. They need a nasty kind of swagger and they don’t have it. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This season has me curious if PK was the primary play caller at Washington or was it the guy they promoted to HC

It could also be the coaches don’t work well together. Sark went out and hired a defensive staff before he hired a DC. That was a curious move at the time and it’s possible that is also playing a part

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

It's a head scratcher for sure. Pete was the biggest "home run hire" we've had at DC since Muschamp and our D sucks. We're just going to have to let it play out. Firing him now would be a panic move and bad optics.

he's not gonna fire PK now or even at season end unless he knows he has an obvious significant upgrade.  significant upgrades are hard to come by because they generally get paid at their current place.

I'd throw a bunch of money at Barry Odom though.  if shutting down Sark's O is the prerequisite for a hire, Odom is the guy.

I'm not sure how many schemes can mask our deficiencies, but the bend don't break isn't helping since we're breaking way too often. 

Most of me attributes the breaks to the players. We schemed to take away Tech's running game, then our secondary completely falls apart with long balls. We play a bit more honest, and teams are able to run it on us because of suspect tackling and failure to shed blocks or a lack of penetration.

The quality of play has been deteriorating over time, and I'm not sure what scheme could be employed to create pressure when our defensive front is not up to the task.

People are calling for JT Sanders, but that would be a disaster. Prince Dorbah was just as dominant a pass rusher in high school,  and yet he can't even get consistent PT over Jett Bush.

Too soon to fire PK/Choate, let them recruit their guys via HS and TP and continue teaching their system. It's proven to work, they just need the pieces.

Terry Joseph should be on the clock though, the secondary has been a massive disappointment. Too often guys are guarding grass and not reacting to the ball, and when they do react its usually very poorly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Everyone loved PK because no one knew much about him. He coached at a far away place for a highly ranked defense and the fans there loved him.

But having seen him up close, yeesh. His gameplans against Arkansas and OU (particularly after Rattler went out out) were beyond moronic. His personnel decisions are baffling. Even if we recruit this all world talent we allegedly need to have good defense, do you really trust this motherfucker to game plan on a week to week basis in the big 12 or SEC?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Here is what I will say about the personnel decisions. We all question them and then when the dude comes in and sees meaningful snaps we almost always see why he is he backup. Karic is a fine example of that. So I could not tell you why.

I agree with this.  I knew losing Okafor was gonna be a big problem.  he may not be Larry Allen but at least he had been in a D1 strength program for 6 years.

its harder to see what QB's, RB, CB, and WR really have in practice(because it's just not game speed and they are so affected by the ball vs. strength/assignment) but with front 7 and OLine you usually know.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Everyone loved PK because no one knew much about him. He coached at a far away place for a highly ranked defense and the fans there loved him.

But having seen him up close, yeesh. His gameplans against Arkansas and OU (particularly after Rattler went out out) were beyond moronic. His personnel decisions are baffling. Even if we recruit this all world talent we allegedly need to have good defense, do you really trust this motherfucker to game plan on a week to week basis in the big 12 or SEC?

Not about all world talent, but guys who fit their style of play. Our guys are pretty soft at times. 

They played harder than I've seen them play all season at the beginning of the game. There were people in the backfield, making decisive moves. Overshown in particular was amazing. Then we relaxed when we thought the game was over and they weren't able to turn it back on when they needed to.

It's just too bad we didn't score 70 this time.

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Reading some tea leaves on IT currently….would Sark fire PK after 1 year?

Football fans. Gotta love em, ready to fire And start over “Again”  on a Defense that forced the starting heisman QB out, held OU to FGs majority of the 2nd half, and made Lincoln Riley have to go to trick plays cause he couldn’t move the ball. 
Do I think we could have been put in better positions at time, hell yea but you go back and look at the game and tell me, how many times we were out of position, or did the player not make a play??? From my understanding the OC for OU is just as good at his job to. 
We as Texas fans can make this job so hard at times. 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Not about all world talent, but guys who fit their style of play. Our guys are pretty soft at times. 

They played harder than I've seen them play all season at the beginning of the game. There were people in the backfield, making decisive moves. Overshown in particular was amazing. Then we relaxed when we thought the game was over and they weren't able to turn it back on when they needed to.

It's just too bad we didn't score 70 this time.

We haven't had that cutthroat mentality to just ground and pound an opposing team when they were down since Vince and co. were here. That whole team, top to bottom was filled with dogs. I'd kill for a Blalock, Studdard or Scott on that OL.

Hopefully this game is a lesson for the whole team, coaches included, never let up and start coasting when you think the other team is just gonna lay down. 

• Like 1

Few random thoughts-

Firing PK right now would be bad for optics, but we all wanted TH to fire the dead weight after year one. I don’t know if he’s dead weight, but I do t like how’s he is trying to run his scheme when he doesn’t have the pieces. And he selected some of them that he’s not even playing. AdJust man.

No doubt our defensive talent isn’t great, but it’s better than what we’re showing on the field.

If sanders is so great at TE, why isn’t he playing?

We need to upgrade our CB coaching - go get Raymond from LSU or dip into the nfl ranks and find someone that can coach them. Not worried about recruiting chops….BG can handle that. BG gets a pass for now.

Elko played 4 DT’s over the past few years to stop the run. You can’t allow someone to run on you and pass. Collins should have come In to fall ball around 275 pounds and locked down a de position on a 4 man line.

Speaking of that, it was apparent early on we didn’t have the players to run PK’s scheme to a T. We added (as mentioned above) 4 portals to patch it up. Yet still playing Brock and bush.

Collins - Sweat - Murphy - Ojomo/Jones

Stop the fucking run.

Coburn needs to slim down.

I saw Vernon broughton on one play that epitomized his value so far the the program. I’ll try and find it but he doesn’t look like he’ll last.

We have one WR apparently.

Keilan not getting plays is driving me crazy. He’s probably the fastest guy on the field. You have to find a way to get him the ball 5-7 times a game. It’s a travesty he isn’t being utilized.

Casey Thompson should have had some designated qb draws to limit that pass rush. Run right by them for a 5-7 yard gain and set us up for 2nd and manageable. I didnt see him once yesterday take off and run early in the rush.

As bad as the OL was yesterday, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Jake majors. Killed us.

We’re sitting at 22 commits or so. We have 10 spots left. After watching yesterday, I think we need 3-4 high value HS OL and 3-4 high value xfer OL. Add in 2 LB’s from somewhere.

I would expect 10-12 players to portal out this year. Maybe 15. I just took a look at our roster and shit…..maybe more.

If we somehow land in the SEC next year instead of ‘23…..

We have to get Evan Stewart.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

at Boise and in the Pac 12.  Is Muschamp ready?

You act like we play in the SEC and no other conferences matter. 

I'm not saying they are gonna get it done, but they tried to fill in the glaring roster holes on defense with the portal and aren't really getting enough from those guys. Thornton and Davis could barely get on the field at LSU and Bama, ditto Oghoufo. Thornton is playing ok, but not a difference maker. He's still better than the guys that were already on the roster. 

Worthy might be the biggest dawg on the entire team as a true freshman. Think about that. I don't know anyone on the defense with that kind of heart. Ossai had it.

It's horrible, but these are the same guys that generally got Orlando fired, made Chris Ash look pedestrian, and are now making PK look like he hasn't coordinated multiple high level defenses and made plenty of guys good money in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 2

Scheme doesn't keep your DL from getting pushed around. Won't keep your LBs from overrunning plays or missing tackles either. Playing 2 deep safeties should be enough to prevent big pass plays from happening, but our guys can't even find the ball in the air most of the time. 

Combine that with a nonexistant pass rush and here we are. We can't play a more boom or bust style of defense because the gameplan is to score a bunch of points on O and make them sustain drives and be patient with checkdowns to score FGs on us. Everything was built on it. Our guys are doing things we aren't equipped to scheme around right now.

We sell out to stop the run, and then we ask them to throw on our suspect secondary. We drop back to stop the big play and we give up the big play anyway through bad angles, bad gap fits, and missed tackles. I don't think we've seen a short pass go the distance against us this year. Maybe the JD Spielman v DMo crossing route.

Big runs, usually coming from poor tackling, and bad secondary play have been the downfall of our defense this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

If sanders is so great at TE, why isn’t he playing?

We need to upgrade our CB coaching - go get Raymond from LSU or dip into the nfl ranks and find someone that can coach them. Not worried about recruiting chops….BG can handle that. BG gets a pass for now.

We have one WR apparently.

Keilan not getting plays is driving me crazy. He’s probably the fastest guy on the field. You have to find a way to get him the ball 5-7 times a game. It’s a travesty he isn’t being utilized.

Jake majors. Killed us.

The Sanders situation is frustrating but we have Wiley who is a physical monster with solid hands also getting no work. I've been screaming all season for him to be in there every RS situation running jump ball outlet routes and we finally got him one this weekend. Outside of Worthy/Keialn speed on deep routes the single biggest mismatch we can create on the offensive side of the ball is Wiley vs a safety. Far too few targets. He should be the third most targeted player on this fucking team unless I am just wildly over estimating the quality of his hands (can only go by what I've seen). 

Secondary staff was the major concern coming in and the players have looked even worse than I expected.

I feel like the next two points are related..  Keilan unquestionably has the speed to line up in the slot. He doesn't have elite hands but can't be fucking worse than our gaggle of Jag options there now that Whittington is injured (again). Unless he is just a historically bad route runner I'm hoping he starts getting serious work in the short term in that spot Whit was filling.

Majors played like he had put money on OU to cover. 

• Like 1

Football fans. Gotta love em, ready to fire And start over “Again”  on a Defense that forced the starting heisman QB out, held OU to FGs majority of the 2nd half, and made Lincoln Riley have to go to trick plays cause he couldn’t move the ball. 
Do I think we could have been put in better positions at time, hell yea but you go back and look at the game and tell me, how many times we were out of position, or did the player not make a play??? From my understanding the OC for OU is just as good at his job to. 
We as Texas fans can make this job so hard at times. 

I’m with you here. It’s frustrating as hell. But Mims is damn good. He made plays when we were in good to great position. That was at least two, if not three, scores.

On the scamper for Williams TD, the call was there. OU got little to no movement. We blew what should have been an easy tackle. Possibly to stop the first down. If he just tackles him, I’m not sure they go on to score. 100% on the players. Now the what if game is on 3rd and 10. OU gets 9 on 3rd. If they get less than 9, do they punt? I say this because Cook was not in and the run goes his way. Our slot defender is nowhere to be found.

The shitty call to get OUs first TD drive on the 3rd conversion was pretty good defense. A great catch even though it shouldn’t have counted. But maybe worst of all is that Jacoby Jones went down for the game after that. Maybe our best defensive lineman.

I’ve never seen a game in which one team is holding on for dear life and every inch here or there and no negative officiating outcomes go their way.

The Bullshit first OU TD drive. The Mims catches. The Washington out of bounds catch. The overturned fumble. No penalties. Even the horseshit non-down tackle followed with a review, free timeout and subsequent conversion.

If we had a strong pass rush, the defenses effort would have looked different. Our safeties are deep. We need to challenge our corners and get our safeties quicker to the ball in the run game and involved somewhat rushing the passer. And really the offense messed its drawers in the 2nd half. The defense did too, but it was really the 4th quarter on defense after the offense did little in the 3rd.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Morning after and to be fair to PK the original game plan was on point and we win that game easily if the Riley isn’t forced to yank Rattler so he deserves a bit of credit there. 

Now for what happened after Williams entered idk. It’s hard to gameplan for a QB you basically have no tape on in that offense. We saw this ourselves when Heard came in for Swoopes and lit the world on fire. We may have overreacted to him being a running threat, but we did force him to make passes and if our DBs were worth a shit the two bombs to Mims get knocked down or intercepted. Defense didn’t seem out of place, just unable to make plays and they were out there a lot in the 2nd half. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The Sanders situation is frustrating but we have Wiley who is a physical monster with solid hands also getting no work. I've been screaming all season for him to be in there every RS situation running jump ball outlet routes and we finally got him one this weekend. Outside of Worthy/Keialn speed on deep routes the single biggest mismatch we can create on the offensive side of the ball is Wiley vs a safety. Far too few targets. He should be the third most targeted player on this fucking team unless I am just wildly over estimating the quality of his hands (can only go by what I've seen). 
Secondary staff was the major concern coming in and the players have looked even worse than I expected.
I feel like the next two points are related..  Keilan unquestionably has the speed to line up in the slot. He doesn't have elite hands but can't be fucking worse than our gaggle of Jag options there now that Whittington is injured (again). Unless he is just a historically bad route runner I'm hoping he starts getting serious work in the short term in that spot Whit was filling.
Majors played like he had put money on OU to cover. 

Those jet sweeps would be great for Keilan. There are ways we should be getting him the ball.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m with you here. It’s frustrating as hell. But Mims is damn good. He made plays when we were in good to great position. That was at least two, if not three, scores.

On the scamper for Williams TD, the call was there. OU got little to no movement. We blew what should have been an easy tackle. Possibly to stop the first down. If he just tackles him, I’m not sure they go on to score. 100% on the players. Now the what if game is on 3rd and 10. OU gets 9 on 3rd. If they get less than 9, do they punt? I say this because Cook was not in and the run goes his way. Our slot defender is nowhere to be found.

The shitty call to get OUs first TD drive on the 3rd conversion was pretty good defense. A great catch even though it shouldn’t have counted. But maybe worst of all is that Jacoby Jones went down for the game after that. Maybe our best defensive lineman.

I’ve never seen a game in which one team is holding on for dear life and every inch here or there and no negative officiating outcomes go their way.

The Bullshit first OU TD drive. The Mims catches. The Washington out of bounds catch. The overturned fumble. No penalties. Even the horseshit non-down tackle followed with a review, free timeout and subsequent conversion.

If we had a strong pass rush, the defenses effort would have looked different. Our safeties are deep. We need to challenge our corners and get our safeties quicker to the ball in the run game and involved somewhat rushing the passer. And really the offense messed its drawers in the 2nd half. The defense did too, but it was really the 4th quarter on defense after the offense did little in the 3rd.

Mims had full extension on the catch against Foster, but Foster had no idea what was even happening.

We took 4 LB/edge transfers - Thornton, Ovie, Davis, and Devin Richardson - and we are still playing Brockermeyer and Jett Bush.  Either their portal evaluations sucked or their depth chart decisions suck.   You can't take 4 transfers at a position and still play 2 walk-ons there.

Those 2 guys may just be better at kissing ass.

22 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Those jet sweeps would be great for Keilan. There are ways we should be getting him the ball.

I was amazed we never worked to get K Rob the ball or even Roschon for that matter. Also surprised we didn’t use Casey more as a threat on the ground. 3rd quarter we didn’t make adjustments and ou decided to rush with reckless abandon and it worked for them. 

anyways because this is the defense thread… I still have to believe we need to go heavier on the line, 4-2-5 style. What we are doing isn’t working. Stop inviting the run and make these QBs pass. I get it’s the spread and all that, but we were giving up bigger run plays all day than pass plays even with the 2 miracle bombs

Edited by taybo20
  • Hook 'Em 2

Dline personnel needs to be re-examined. Maybe the Jacoby Jones injury was more significant than thought, but the front isn't getting enough pressure or holding up against the run.

The DB's play the edges well I guess, but are subpar defending deep balls. Schooler and BJ are terrible and consistently rob any progress the defense is making towards getting off the field which compounds to longer drives and getting worn out by the 4th. Maybe we can replace Terry Joseph or Gideon with Jimmy Lake after he's fired.

1 minute ago, Royale with cheese said:

We can debate the negative impact the offense had in the second half, not making first downs and leaving the D out there too long. We can talk about PK not having the right players to run his schemes, but when you strip away all the bullshit it really comes down to this: We put up 48 fucking points and the D couldn't hold it. 48 ought to be enough for a Texas defense. 

Exactly. 

We gave up 330 rushing AND 330 passing. We failed to take away ANYTHING. You have no chance of winning playing like that without a lopsided turnover margin. Without the blocked punt and the two gifts from Rattler, we’d be blown out 21+.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I was amazed we never worked to get K Rob the ball or even Roschon for that matter. Also surprised we didn’t use Casey more as a threat on the ground. 3rd quarter we didn’t make adjustments and ou decided to rush with reckless abandon and it worked for them. 

anyways because this is the defense thread… I still have to believe we need to go heavier on the line, 4-2-5 style. What we are doing isn’t working. Stop inviting the run and make these QBs pass. I get it’s the spread and all that, but we were giving up bigger run plays all day than pass plays even with the 2 miracle bombs

At least 4 of your 5 have to be able to cover in that scenario. I am not sure we have more than 3.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

At least 4 of your 5 have to be able to cover in that scenario. I am not sure we have more than 3.

Yeah but you can’t give up bigger plays in the running game than the passing game imo. The hope is that inaccurate QB play helps you at the very least. As it stands we aren’t stopping anything and have to start somewhere surely

• Like 1

Bottom line is we have oftentimes have guys in position to make tackles, but they don't. And our DBs lack ball skills. D-Line gets pushed around too much when it's supposed to be a deep group collectively. That's not necessarily a scheme problem.

Watch the game or at least the highlights again. It's maddening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, taybo20 said:

Yeah but you can’t give up bigger plays in the running game than the passing game imo. The hope is that inaccurate QB play helps you at the very least. As it stands we aren’t stopping anything and have to start somewhere surely

I thought the running, frosh QB would actually help us burn clock bc of passing deficiencies. Joke was on me when he hit a couple of bombs and ran unscathed for big plays.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?