Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

28 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I'm in this camp now, but this is exactly what worried me when all of the hiring was going on. I did not like that he hired the D coordinator last after hiring the position coaches first on D. I understand best available but if PK and his position coaches don't gel then you end up with this shit. All the off-season stuff we heard about PK and knowing that the DL was supposed to be the bell cow of the D, my expectations were way higher than the output thus far. Disappointing.

Same here. I still wonder if Muschamp had said he was in but then changed his mind. The position hires all seemed to have Muschamp ties.

Still crazy how bad the D has been. I don't remember specifics but saw a tweet that basically said that PK has had 2 of his 3 worst ever run D games this year since becoming a DC in 2010. So in 11 years, 2 of his 3 worst run D games have been this season! I think it was based on ypc or something. Crazy considering he's also been in the P5 since 2013. It just doesn't make sense.

Blaming it all on talent doesn't make sense either. Sure, Brock and Bush may not be elite athletes, but that's 2 guys. The rest of the DL and Overshown should be plenty good enough to be at least respectable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's amazing how little production we get out of highly recruited dudes like Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Keondre Coburn, BJ Foster, Moro Ojomo, etc. 

Collins and Broughton are still young guys playing a man’s position. They dominated in high school because they were so much bigger and faster than their opponents. Give them time, Collins at least has flashed some. I don’t know what the excuse is for the others you named. 

Just now, Duane Moore said:

Collins and Broughton are still young guys playing a man’s position. They dominated in high school because they were so much bigger and faster than their opponents. Give them time, Collins at least has flashed some. I don’t know what the excuse is for the others you named. 

They are soft

I liked the hire what with all the understated assassin hoopla, but I started feeling a bit wary when people pointed out that PK is not a good recruiter. A schematic mastermind but a shitty personality. I remember Joe Wickline being described this way and he ended up being ass. Are there any reports of PK being difficult to work with that would translate to miscommunications or lapses on the field? 

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

But don't worry, we're recruiting truly "good" players for the future. That's the key!!

Collins is a good talent.  He is the mold of player we need on the front at his position. Look at the commits we have for 2022 they’re the prototype in terms of body type, arm length, and athleticism. 

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Given the guys he has, what magical scheme is it that will work? (Keeping in mind you likely need a few weeks to implement it) It seems more times than not the scheme and play call have been correct and players have been in position they are supposed to be in, they just aren't making plays.

You’re right. He just showed up on campus the week before OU. He hasn’t had 9 months to identify his unit’s strengths and weaknesses and tailor his scheme and personnel accordingly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You’re right. He just showed up on campus the week before OU. He hasn’t had 9 months to identify his unit’s strengths and weaknesses and tailor his scheme and personnel accordingly. 

Scheme gets to his players to where they need to be. That seems to be pretty good at this point. 

Again... you can pretend you are in February....what scheme should he be running?

On the game winning play for OU, what's the thinking behind having such an unbalanced defensive front? Looks like we have Sweat over the center and our edge guy outside of the tackle. The gap(s) between I guess are covered by Brockermeyer?  Seems like a bad plan given our personnel limitations. Also, seems to begging OU to run a counter right into this - which is exactly what they love to do and in fact did: easy to block down the out-leveraged lineman and outnumber us at the point of attack.  It seems like a more balanced traditional look would have helped us here.  

Edited by bschoolprof

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

a bunch of fucking idiots in this thread. PK isn't missing tackles and fucking up stuff out there.

When you are drubbing your opponent and they come out at halftime with a brand new fucking offense and a QB that you have not seen much of and don't give you time to prepare or adjust, I would anticipate some busts. I would have liked to see a shift to a true 4 man front during the game, and also fucking Brockermeyer is too slow to be on the field. He is getting exposed because he gets beat to the edge constantly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Scheme gets to his players to where they need to be. That seems to be pretty good at this point. 

Again... you can pretend you are in February....what scheme should he be running?

Heavy 4-2-5 with Foster as evil Roy Williams type hybrid playing close to LOS much of the time and use a lot of run blitzes. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

On the game winning play for OU, what's the thinking behind having such an unbalanced defensive front? Look like we have Sweat over the center and our edge guy outside of the tackle. The gap(s) between I guess are covered by Brockermeyer?  Seems like a bad plan given our personnel limitations. Also, seems to begging OU to run a counter right into this - which is exactly what they love to do and in fact did: easy to block down the out-leveraged lineman and outnumber us at the point of attack.  It seems like a more balanced traditional look would have helped us here.  

Watch BJ Foster on this. LOL

• Rage+1 3

I'm sure Jett Bush is a great guy and is doing the very best he can, but I refuse to believe we are so devoid of talent that we have no other choice but to give him significant snaps in the biggest game of the year. If more talented players can't get on the field because they don't understand what they are supposed to be doing in this scheme, then the problem isn't with those players.

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

this.  this D was light years better last year and it isn't just Ossai.  Coach what you have, not what you don't have. 

This isn't rocket science. its very disappointing especially given the transfers we got.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Didn’t BJ foster threaten to quit the team in last year’s opener because Ash didn’t want to play him? How much worse is Adimora?

This is leads me to complaint #72 about the defense. Too many older guys that are underperforming. If the defense is going to be bad, can we at least get a youth movement 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's amazing how little production we get out of highly recruited dudes like Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Keondre Coburn, BJ Foster, Moro Ojomo, etc. 

Right on.  I am asking seriously as I don’t know.  We all agree our linebacker play sucks.  Where in the hell is D.J. Harris?  He was 2 time all state, top 200 ranked national recruit.  He chose us over aggy and another meltdown!!  One of signing day descriptions…blazing speed, natural instincts.  I just don’t get why we can’t get athletes off the sideline and on the field.  KRob?  

Get the ATHLETES we have on the damn field.  Spend a hell of a lot more time coaching with up athletes rather fooling with slow want to be than walk-ons.   Crap

Edited by ruitxn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

On the game winning play for OU, what's the thinking behind having such an unbalanced defensive front? Look like we have Sweat over the center and our edge guy outside of the tackle. The gap(s) between I guess are covered by Brockermeyer?  Seems like a bad plan given our personnel limitations. Also, seems to begging OU to run a counter right into this - which is exactly what they love to do and in fact did: easy to block down the out-leveraged lineman and outnumber us at the point of attack.  It seems like a more balanced traditional look would have helped us here.  

we have 9 guys in the box. we didnt lose this because of alignment. 

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

All you “the cupboard is bare!” apologists may now go slam your dicks in the cupboard door.

Yeah. It sucks. Pretty much everyone who pays close attention to football thought PK was a joke run hire, and he’s been horrible. I do wonder if forcing him to accept guys like Bo David and Terry Jospeh instead of selecting his own coaches is a big part of the problem, but it goes beyond that. 

we have personnel deficiencies but nowhere near this bad. This level of ineptitude is on the coaches. We have Terrible personnel usage. Guys like Bush and Broughton are playing way too much. 

Our DL is more talented than it’s showing. Not sure how much of the blame should be apportioned to PK’s scheme vs. Davis’s coaching, but the DL is playing way too high and passive. I know in general PK wants them to hold up blockers to let LBs and Safeties make plays, which should result in less negative plays, but more containment, but it’s obviously not doing that. At this point, he’s gotta change it up and try to let the DL make more plays. They won’t be near as good as our DL last year, but you have to think it would be better. We haven’t had that many coverage busts, but our DBs never find the ball or make a play. That’s been consistent for years now, but I hoped it would improve under this staff, especially since PK has guys play more deep zone, so they’re in way better position to find the ball and make a play, but they still don’t. Those two deep balls we gave up were absolutely terrible plays by the indivisible DBs, but it’s too widespread to just be on the players. Pretty much every DB has been making those kind of mistakes all year. 

Ultimately, this level of pathetic defense has to be on the coaching. If we were 40th or 50th in the country in defense, you could start asking how much is on the players instead of the coaches, but there’s no legitimate argument that we don’t have the talent to be significantly better than we currently are on defense. 

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Would love to see a change and go straight up 4-3 base defense. PK seems like a manny Diaz exotic defense and formations. Didn’t he do that straight line of 4 guys one game? Might have been tcu. I hate that shit.

His base defense is pretty much a 4-3 and operates the same. Switching to a stricter 4-3 wouldn’t do much. He also doesn’t run many crazy schemes. That 4 DL thing was one off, and it worked. I could maybe see putting Collins at DE as an improvement in the run game, but they did try that over the summer and decided it didn’t work. Maybe if they made him more fo a true DE it could pan out. Hard to say. There’s not many 305 lb DEs playing in college or the NFL. 

The main problem is he’s asking our DL to hold up blocks instead of Crete negative plays on our own. Our DL sucks at doing that and our LBs and DL suck at making plays. Even with huge personnel losses form last year, I think the guys on our DL showed they’re much better at creating negative plays. Hopefully we shift to a more aggressive DL ans try to out more pressure on the QB because trying to keep everything in front of us clearly isn’t going to work this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Right on.  I am asking seriously as I don’t know.  We all agree our linebacker play sucks.  Where in the hell is D.J. Harris?  He was 2 time all state, top 200 ranked national recruit.  He chose us over aggy and another meltdown!!  One of signing day descriptions…blazing speed, natural instincts.  I just don’t get why we can’t get athletes off the sideline and on the field.  KRob?  

Get the ATHLETES we have on the damn field.  Spend a hell of a lot more time coaching with up athletes rather fooling with slow want to be than walk-ons.   Crap

DJ Harris is a 6’2, 225lb true freshman edge rusher. If you’re not happy with Bush this year, then Harris almost certainly isn’t the answer. He’s smaller and probably much less assignment sound than Bush. I like Harris a lot as a prospect but not this year. 

The real problem is we took almost no good edge rush prospects between Ossai and Harris. Dorbah was one of the only high-rated edge guys we took and he’s been a bust. 

21 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm sure Jett Bush is a great guy and is doing the very best he can, but I refuse to believe we are so devoid of talent that we have no other choice but to give him significant snaps in the biggest game of the year. 

I believe it. We have a few good players and the rest of the team isn't even avg. for this conference. Since we can't fire the players we wait a few years and fire the coach.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Dorbah was one of the only high-rated edge guys we took and he’s been a bust. 

Are you sure?  I've never seen him play in a game except against Rice and he looked fine against a shit team.  What would he look like against a good team?  I guess we have to trust the coaches that he's not good.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. It sucks. Pretty much everyone who pays close attention to football thought PK was a joke run hire, and he’s been horrible. I do wonder if forcing him to accept guys like Bo David and Terry Jospeh instead of selecting his own coaches is a big part of the problem, but it goes beyond that. 

we have personnel deficiencies but nowhere near this bad. This level of ineptitude is on the coaches. We have Terrible personnel usage. Guys like Bush and Broughton are playing way too much. 

Our DL is more talented than it’s showing. Not sure how much of the blame should be apportioned to PK’s scheme vs. Davis’s coaching, but the DL is playing way too high and passive. I know in general PK wants them to hold up blockers to let LBs and Safeties make plays, which should result in less negative plays, but more containment, but it’s obviously not doing that. At this point, he’s gotta change it up and try to let the DL make more plays. They won’t be near as good as our DL last year, but you have to think it would be better. We haven’t had that many coverage busts, but our DBs never find the ball or make a play. That’s been consistent for years now, but I hoped it would improve under this staff, especially since PK has guys play more deep zone, so they’re in way better position to find the ball and make a play, but they still don’t. Those two deep balls we gave up were absolutely terrible plays by the indivisible DBs, but it’s too widespread to just be on the players. Pretty much every DB has been making those kind of mistakes all year. 

Ultimately, this level of pathetic defense has to be on the coaching. If we were 40th or 50th in the country in defense, you could start asking how much is on the players instead of the coaches, but there’s no legitimate argument that we don’t have the talent to be significantly better than we currently are on defense. 

His base defense is pretty much a 4-3 and operates the same. Switching to a stricter 4-3 wouldn’t do much. He also doesn’t run many crazy schemes. That 4 DL thing was one off, and it worked. I could maybe see putting Collins at DE as an improvement in the run game, but they did try that over the summer and decided it didn’t work. Maybe if they made him more fo a true DE it could pan out. Hard to say. There’s not many 305 lb DEs playing in college or the NFL. 

The main problem is he’s asking our DL to hold up blocks instead of Crete negative plays on our own. Our DL sucks at doing that and our LBs and DL suck at making plays. Even with huge personnel losses form last year, I think the guys on our DL showed they’re much better at creating negative plays. Hopefully we shift to a more aggressive DL ans try to out more pressure on the QB because trying to keep everything in front of us clearly isn’t going to work this year. 

I would just add that the DL is working to to funnel the ball to LBs and Safeties, which is a major problem. They are funneling ball carries to poor tackling units. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Its Scip being Scip. Rights a whole piece about how the PK needs to rethink his approach, because he does not have the piece to run the defense in his preferred manner and than adds in that he would have had them doing more squats to mix everything. I dont give shit how many squat Jett Bush does, he is isnt winning lined up on an inside shoulder of a OT. 

Rights?  Hahaha.

I love Scip and find that he's usually right at least insofar as seeing what's what on the football field and generally allocating responsibility. He ain't perfect, nobody is.  The S&C thing may be one of those areas where he's hyper-picky, or maybe flat wrong.

His conclusion that the coaches can do a lot better with personnel choice and scheming I take as near gospel.  Whether it's Kwiatkowski or his assistants remains open.  Probably fairest to put the blame on position coaches for now.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Watch BJ Foster on this. LOL

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Watch foster on that last TD in the video above.  Wow.

Not sure what's up with our safeties -- Jerrin Thompson wasn't interested in tackling either...  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Rights?  Hahaha.

I love Scip and find that he's usually right at least insofar as seeing what's what on the football field and generally allocating responsibility. He ain't perfect, nobody is.  The S&C thing may be one of those areas where he's hyper-picky, or maybe flat wrong.

completely agree. He is very solid in his breakdowns. I just think he gets a bit overboard in the S&C stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

On the game winning play for OU, what's the thinking behind having such an unbalanced defensive front?

That's a two-gap Over front.  When people ask to run a "traditional 4-down" that is what it looks like.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

PK has been astonishingly bad. Like goddamn maybe Mike Stoops was the better hire bad. I’m flummoxed because I was right there with nearly everyone, both here and nationally, thinking it was an excellent hire.

I don’t think he’ll fire a coordinator after one year and I’m not sure you’re implying that’s the fix, so we’ll see what things look like this time next year, but I have to agree it seems Sark may have struck out on this.

You're right.  Absolutely. 

I shouldn't have started by singling out PK, that was posting hyperbole. But it looks like Sark is going to have to deal with some things much in the way Herman did/failed to do.  Whether it's PK, or position coaches, or "whatever."

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This. Containment with no pressure doesn't work in this conference, or probably any conference. You can't cover receivers for 6-7 seconds, and the receivers and quarterbacks are all good enough to make you pay for that philosophy. Not having an Ossai sucks. But you have to unleash Collins and another Edge player and try to create some pressure from that position. Especially when you get the opponent in a 3rd and long position.

CHIEF

I posted this in the 9.95 thread but I think it belongs here.  Sorry dudes.

Do we have the personnel to execute a consistent high level Defense  i.e.  Georgia?  Definitely not.

Do we have the personnel to achieve the results that K State, Tulane, etc did against OU?  Yeah I think we do.

There are some things on this defense that no amount of coaching is going to fix without some new recruits.

Yet I think this staff should be able to field an average Big 12 defense with the kids we have.

The gap between this defense and an average Big 12 defensive performance is on this staff IMO.

Just like the gap between our offensive performance and the average Big 12 offensive performance is also on this staff but in a positive way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Asking the supposed strength of the defense (DL) to eat blocks and funnel the playmaking to the weak links of the defense (LB and Safeties) has been a recipe for disaster and we've cooked several batches already this season.

Nothing fucks up a college offense like a DL that can penetrate and disrupt. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pods said:

Asking the supposed strength of the defense (DL) to eat blocks and funnel the playmaking to the weak links of the defense (LB and Safeties) has been a recipe for disaster and we've cooked several batches already this season.

Yeah, unleash the hounds (D-line) and let them penetrate and create a lot more negative plays -- tired of this weak-ass defense we've been running... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pods said:

Would probably work better if we had linebackers. But we don’t 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pods said:

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, unleash the hounds (D-line) and let them penetrate and create a lot more negative plays -- tired of this weak-ass defense we've been running... 

I agree this would be better, but I think it’s still a pretty open question of how much our current personnel could actually do that. Ossai and Graham alone had about 1/3 of our total TFLs last year an diver 1/3 of our total sacks last year, and that doesn’t even include how many TFLs and sacks Ossai opened up for other guys because he was given so much attention. 

We would still struggle a lot even if we made these changes, because our personnel is a much worse. I just think people need to keep in mind how much Ash would’ve struggled with this year’s personnel. His defense relies on elite DL talent and Ossai was the only elite guy we had last year. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?