Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

11 hours ago, alphahorn said:

I can't find a good video of that last play where I can freeze the pre snap set up.  Perhaps you're correct, but the principle is the same., they created a numbers advantage by pulling and/or alignment that we never adjusted to

This is best look of that play at the 2:51:30 mark, overhead from behind.... watch Thorton "seal" the edge....

11 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Nebraska doesn't have better athletes on Defense, yet contained OU much more effectively.  And that was in Norman. 

I bet Nebraska still recruits corn-fed midwestern boys whose high schools don't run newfangled offenses, but more three-yards and a cloud of dust.

I think we have established that THSF doesn't develop very many top-flight linemen anymore and that may be part of our problem.  All but a couple of our OL (Angilau UT and Rizzi LA) are from Texas.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I bet Nebraska still recruits corn-fed midwestern boys whose high schools don't run newfangled offenses, but more three-yards and a cloud of dust.

I think we have established that THSF doesn't develop very many top-flight linemen anymore and that may be part of our problem.  All but a couple of our OL (Angilau UT and Rizzi LA) are from Texas.

The younger grades are looking worse in this department as well according to Gerry. Texas doesn't produce many top flight edge or linebackers anymore either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is best look of that play at the 2:51:30 mark, overhead from behind.... watch Thorton "seal" the edge....

That is the play I was commenting on. This is great angle to see Overshown displaying really bad LB play and why the defense struggles vs the run. He is the most talented player and shows 0 awareness of the blocking keys in front of him. I have hard time believing that in 2 games of prepping for OU, the coaches did not talk about the blocking keys on the counter play. His eyes never look at the OL and miss the guard pulling, because of that he takes multiple false steps and takes himself out of the play. That isnt to excuse the rest of the bad play

• Rage+1 1

Two big things that other posters have mentioned stand out as concerns:

1. Pete K did not get to choose his position group coaches. I’m wondering if that creating schematic turmoil or degrading the quality of practice these position groups get.

2. As mentioned on Husky boards: Pete K supposedly struggled against Stanford’s rushing attack. If he had trouble with a traditional rushing attack that we see from Stanford, that spells disaster against a guy like Lincoln Riley.

Overall, I’m still onboard with PK, but the concerns are stacking up. Our talent is great, but this is the second time in 6 games that we’ve given up 300+ rush yards. After watching them get blanked by UGA, Arkansas is clearly not the juggernaut we thought they were. Better suited athletes are on the way. However, if he’s to stubborn to make some intermediate adjustments, he may net be around long enough to see the day when we’re stacked at all levels of the defense.

As I drove back from Dallas yesterday I got a bad feeling and asked myself, what if it is not PK's defense. What if it is a John Mackovic - Leon Fuller situation. Leon Fuller was a bad ass until he worked for Mackovic and we found out that it did not matter who worked for Mackovic his defenses sucked. So I took a peak and even in PKs worst year his scoring defense was ranked number 50 at Boise. Here are the numbers and if it is Sark interfering our new nightmare.

The scoring is based on points below or above average and that is how scoring is ranked and not actually total points.

Leon Fuller (year, scoring rank)
1977 - 9
1978 - 2
1979 - 2
1980 - 31
1981 - 5
1989 - 33
1990 - 8
1991 - 3
1992 - 65 Mackovic arrives
1993 - 40 Mackovic continues to interfere

PK (year, scoring/yards per play rank)

2014 - 34/41
2015 - 3/8
2016 - 3/7
2017 - 11/6
2018 - 7/10
2019 - 17/24
2021 - 62/87 Working for offensive minded Sark

Chris Peterson was also offensive minded but it is known he also was a great head coach.

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1977-ratings.html just change the year

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not to enflame the mob, but I thought this was a very interesting comment from Ojomo.

From Hookem.com

Sounds like a huge dig at the coaching:

"We had some injuries and we’re undersized a little bit at a specific position at defensive end," Ojomo said. "They started running counter. That’s their bread and butter, and even after the game, I said it was counter, counter, counter, counter."

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Overall, I’m still onboard with PK, but the concerns are stacking up. Our talent is great, but this is the second time in 6 games that we’ve given up 300+ rush yards. After watching them get blanked by UGA, Arkansas is clearly not the juggernaut we thought they were. Better suited athletes are on the way. However, if he’s to stubborn to make some intermediate adjustments, he may net be around long enough to see the day when we’re stacked at all levels of the defense.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Not to enflame the mob, but I thought this was a very interesting comment from Ojomo.

From Hookem.com

"We had some injuries and we’re undersized a little bit at a specific position at defensive end," Ojomo said. "They started running counter. That’s their bread and butter, and even after the game, I said it was counter, counter, counter, counter."

image.thumb.jpeg.2671bb83f4d2974d60887e062b8030fe.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

From Hookem.com

Both a dig at coaching personnel decisions and a dig at Jett Bush being light in the ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

As I drove back from Dallas yesterday I got a bad feeling and asked myself, what if it is not PK's defense. What if it is a John Mackovic - Leon Fuller situation. Leon Fuller was a bad ass until he worked for Mackovic and we found out that it did not matter who worked for Mackovic his defenses sucked. So I took a peak and even in PKs worst year his scoring defense was ranked number 50 at Boise. Here are the numbers and if it is Sark interfering our new nightmare.

The scoring is based on points below or above average and that is how scoring is ranked and not actually total points.

Leon Fuller (year scoring rank)
1977 - 9
1978 - 2
1979 - 2
1980 - 31
1981 - 5
1989 - 33
1990 - 8
1991 - 3

2014 - 34/41
2015 - 3/8
2016 - 3/7
2017 - 11/6
2018 - 7/10
2019 - 17/24

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1977-ratings.html just change the year

Bruh, Sark doesn't even run tempo most of the time.

The defense performs well in stretches as well.

Chris Petersen was also an offensive HC.

Edited by Atticus

58 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Leon Fuller (year, scoring rank)
1977 - 9
1978 - 2
1979 - 2
1980 - 31
1981 - 5
1989 - 33
1990 - 8
1991 - 3

2014 - 34/41
2015 - 3/8
2016 - 3/7
2017 - 11/6
2018 - 7/10
2019 - 17/24

Chris Peterson was also offensive minded but it is known he also was a great head coach.

I don’t buy that explanation. Charlie Strong was a defensive coach, and his defense still sucked because he was just a shit HC. Urban Meyer is an offense oriented guy and had good defenses at Florida and Ohio State. Mack Brown was only good at recruiting and even he stumbled across Chizik and Muschamp. I think it’s all about finding the right DC for the style of play and the type of athletes you expect in your conference. The other piece is letting the DC acquire a complimentary supporting staff. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XForce said:

Depth at DE is zero yet Sanders can’t be convinced to play defense this season? Watch the DL rotations. 

Sanders hasn't cracked the TE rotation yet due to, what, poor blocking? I'm not saying PK shouldn't try him at DE, but he may not have the functional strength yet to handle the job. But, to your point, he can't do much worse than Bush.

I forget, but doesn't Sark have all asst. coaches on 1 year deals? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a change with position coaches (PK excluded).

One year contracts are common for position coaches but not coordinators. PK s on three year deal. He will be back next that at the very least. A new HC is not firing a DC when they’re trying to close their first full recruiting class, and Texas isn’t going to post that buyout.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

One year contracts are common for position coaches but not coordinators. PK s on three year deal. He will be back next that at the very least. A new HC is not firing a DC when they’re trying to close their first full recruiting class, and Texas isn’t going to post that buyout.

Right, I'm referring more to Gideon and Joseph

21 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I don’t buy that explanation. Charlie Strong was a defensive coach, and his defense still sucked because he was just a shit HC. Urban Meyer is an offense oriented guy and had good defenses at Florida and Ohio State. Mack Brown was only good at recruiting and even he stumbled across Chizik and Muschamp. I think it’s all about finding the right DC for the style of play and the type of athletes you expect in your conference. The other piece is letting the DC acquire a complimentary supporting staff. 

I am not making a blanket statement on head coaches interfering just because of where they started. I am saying that specifically we know Mackovic did interfere by taking recruits from the defense and insisting on less aggressiveness. As a result Leon Fuller's defenses went from being bad ass to just plain bad because he was not allowed to do his job the way that had always resulted in great defenses. What if the Sark - PK dynamic suffers from a similar relationship of interference?

This hypothesis has nothing to do with an across board type statement.

I was excited about Jeff Choate as well, but he's been a disappointment so far. It doesn't seem to be simply an issue of talent. Getting trucked or losing a footrace is a talent issue and we've seen plenty of that from the linebackers. Not understanding their assignment and running themselves out of plays is a coaching issue.  

Right, I'm referring more to Gideon and Joseph

Duh. Sorry, I can’t read apparently.

Who knows on that front. Bo Davis is a proven commodity and has built the best DL class in the nation so he’s not going anywhere. Sark sought all of them out to varying degrees so it’s kind of hard to see them getting let go at the end of the year, especially with recruiting really being the most important job right now. But the lack of a true CB coach is definitely showing and is the most wonky part of the staff construction.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am not making a blanket statement on head coaches interfering just because of where they started. I am saying that specifically we know Mackovic did interfere by taking recruits from the defense and insisting on less aggressiveness. As a result Leon Fuller's defenses went from being bad ass to just plain bad because he was not allowed to do his job the way that had always resulted in great defenses. What if the Sark - PK dynamic suffers from a similar relationship of interference?

This hypothesis has nothing to do with an across board type statement.

Has Sark taken any players from defense to put them on offense? Schooler moved the other way, but that's the only one I can remember. Sanders really wanted to play offense so you can't blame Sark for giving him the chance. It's hard to point to any sign that Sark is interfering with PK. The initial game planning has been sound and the defense has held its own in the first half of every game including Arkansas and OU. The second half is the issue. The two most obvious explanations for a defense struggling late are TOP or turnovers/field position. Neither of those have been consistent problems. TOP was likely a factor against OU, but has been relatively even in the other games so that doesn't explain the defensive struggles. Turnovers and field position haven't been an issue either. Worthy fumbled the kick-off, but the flood gates were already open at that point.

If anything, Sark may not be involved in the defense enough. Someone pointed out in the game thread that we have a great offensive coordinator, but it's not clear we have a great head coach. For whatever reason, PK doesn't make adjustments or isn't making them fast enough. That's where a HC would generally be able to help, but I don't know how engaged Sark is during the game on that side of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Has Sark taken any players from defense to put them on offense? Schooler moved the other way, but that's the only one I can remember. Sanders really wanted to play offense so you can't blame Sark for giving him the chance. It's hard to point to any sign that Sark is interfering with PK. The initial game planning has been sound and the defense has held its own in the first half of every game including Arkansas and OU. The second half is the issue. The two most obvious explanations for a defense struggling late are TOP or turnovers/field position. Neither of those have been consistent problems. TOP was likely a factor against OU, but has been relatively even in the other games so that doesn't explain the defensive struggles. Turnovers and field position haven't been an issue either. Worthy fumbled the kick-off, but the flood gates were already open at that point.

If anything, Sark may not be involved in the defense enough. Someone pointed out in the game thread that we have a great offensive coordinator, but it's not clear we have a great head coach. For whatever reason, PK doesn't make adjustments or isn't making them fast enough. That's where a HC would generally be able to help, but I don't know how engaged Sark is during the game on that side of the ball.

So why do you think PK has his worst defense ever here at Texas? He was salty at his prior stops. I am just trying to find an explanation and believe me I don't want it to be the head coach is not allowing a great DC to do his job by interfering because that means we are stuck in this pattern. A man does not go from top 10 most the time to 62 just because he switched jobs. He has switched before and got better not worse. People that perform well and then start to perform poorly in my experience are either micro managed by someone new, join dysfunctional teams, have new personal issues or are not given the resources to continue to perform as they have in the past.

Edited by DanTheHorn

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So why do you think PK has his worst defense ever here at Texas? He was salty at his prior stops. I am just trying to find an explanation and believe me I don't want it to be the head coach is not allowing a great DC to do his job by interfering because that means we are stuck in this pattern. A man does not go from top 10 most the time to 62 just because he switched jobs. He has switched before and got better not worse. People that perform well and then start to perform poorly in my experience are either micro managed by someone new, join dysfunctional teams, have new personal issues or are not given the resources to continue to perform as they have in the past.

Just my opinion. I think he has some serious talent issues. Edges are a disaster (DE/OLB). LB is not good, watch the winning TD and the LBs as an example. Safety is slow and can not tackle. Based on where he is playing the safeties and the fact he has gone predominantly 2 deep, I dont think he trusts the CBs either. Outside of that everything is good.  I also think he has some strange personnel decisions that are making it worse. Basically, this is not a good defense if he pressed all the right buttons. It is a wretched one, as he has made mistakes also.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just my opinion. I think he has some serious talent issues. Edges are a disaster (DE/OLB). LB is not good, watch the winning TD and the LBs as an example. Safety is slow and can not tackle. Based on where he is playing the safeties and the fact he has gone predominantly 2 deep, I dont think he trusts the CBs either. Outside of that everything is good.  I also think he has some strange personnel decisions that are making it worse. Basically, this is not a good defense if he pressed all the right buttons. It is a wretched one, as he has made mistakes also.

I do think talent is an issue, with the edge being far and away the number one spot. That’s PK’s position. Go look at the guys they’re recruiting for that spot this cycle and the guys he had starring at Washington. They don’t look like anyone on this roster. It’s a legitimate issue and was predictable before this season. It doesn’t excuse the performance across the board but it does put a real ceiling on the unit.

This scheme would look a lot better with better play from the front six. You can at least appreciate what they’re trying to do and I’m willing to watch it play out. I just find it gates to believe we’re going to see a quick fix there given that improvement is needed across the board and two of the more productive guys in Jones and Overshown will be gone. You can’t count on the portal for a total overhaul. But a quick fix is exactly what’s needed because you can’t roll out a defense anything like this in Bijan’s last year and then going into the SEC.
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I do think talent is an issue, with the edge being far and away the number one spot. That’s PK’s position. Go look at the guys they’re recruiting for that spot this cycle and the guys he had starring at Washington. They don’t look like anyone on this roster. It’s a legitimate issue and was predictable before this season. It doesn’t excuse the performance across the board but it does put a real ceiling on the unit.

This scheme would look a lot better with better play from the front six. You can at least appreciate what they’re trying to do and I’m willing to watch it play out. I just find it gates to believe we’re going to see a quick fix there given that improvement is needed across the board and two of the more productive guys in Jones and Overshown will be gone. You can’t count on the portal for a total overhaul. But a quick fix is exactly what’s needed because you can’t roll out a defense anything like this in Bijan’s last year and then going into the SEC.

I think his scheme would look a lot better if the front 6 or the back 5 played better. Hard to scheme when you are afraid to leave DBs on an island and are worried your front will get run over. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I think his scheme would look a lot better if the front 6 or the back 5 played better. Hard to scheme when you are afraid to leave DBs on an island and are worried your front will get run over. 

Absent those chunk plays in the pass game and the big plays in the run game from missed tackles, it really wasn't that bad on rewatch. 

The fucking shoulder checking and lunges need to be coached out of this team. The DL actually played alright for stretches of the game. 

Was at the game so I finally watched the broadcast. PK immediately sends pressure when 13 comes in toward the end of the first half and it works but then stops doing so coming out of the half. Why? He gives away the 3rd and 1 on the last drive by only having 3 linemen and everyone playing soft coverage. Fuck PK for that one. On the TD all I have to say to Overshown and especially Brockermeyer is fool me once shame you but fool me twice you damn morons. They should have known they had help on the QB and should have focused on the runner once they saw the motion that beat them the first time.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Nebraska doesn't have better athletes on Defense, yet contained OU much more effectively.  And that was in Norman. 

This argument point by various posters is fucking stupid

”Team X played better Defense/held OU to x points…AND THAT WAS IN NORMAN!

We we’re doing the exact same thing with Rattler in the game, morons. The difference is OU didn’t play their clearly better QB in those other games. 

Carry on. 

18 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

seems OU/Riley save their trick plays, long bomb express, some blocking schemes for the Texas game.  I'm sure the OU corches work on every technique in the 7 month offseason, very nuance, every matchup.  I don't know if UT does that. 

Is this sarcasm? Maybe you’re fucking with us? Young? Dumb? Both? 🤔 

This is a really terrible take. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yep. Sometimes when you are trying to be multiple you aren't really good at anything. Guys are trying so hard to remember what they are supposed to do on a play by play basis that they are slow to react. We also run a lot of light boxes, which means someone has to defeat blocks to make plays. We don't currently have the kind of dogs that can do that. When we can ignore the QB we are okay, but add anything that makes the defense hesitate(GT Counter) for a bit before reacting and we are in trouble. That's why we struggled so much vs Pig and OU.

Our safeties aren't rangy enough to get over the top of anything. We lose too many battles one on one in the secondary. Our LB play is average at best, and due to light boxes a lot of times these guys are fighting through a lot of traffic to get there. Our D-front is just okay, so when we get caught in the numbers game no one up there is going to make a play.

There are things you can do schematically to make the front more effective, but then you expose the back end of the defense in trade off. Muschamp would come in here and change up the front, and run some wonky combo shit on the back end to confuse opposing QBs, but he was the "take it to you" kind of DC. PK seems to be the I don't think you can sustain long drives guy, but teams don't have to worry about that because you can just arm punt and your guys is going to come down with it. Lol

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 6:08 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

Plus side. We may not face another team as good as BlowU the rest of the way although Iowa state may run for 350. Downside. We aren’t fixing this this year 

Negative side is it seems we have hired yet another DC that without elite athletes cannot run a defense to stop the run and/or gameplan for the obvious play that the other team runs over and over again.

How can other teams play OU tougher than Texas year after fucking year on defense with far worse athletes/players? Shit just gets old.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Negative side is it seems we have hired yet another DC that without elite athletes cannot run a defense to stop the run and/or gameplan for the obvious play that the other team runs over and over again.

How can other teams play OU tougher than Texas year after fucking year on defense with far worse athletes/players? Shit just gets old.

Stop lying to yourself. Texas has elite atheletes. Their just not playing 

28 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Ah, the old “the better players aren’t seeing the field” line. We saw how that worked out with Karic who graded out in the single digits Saturday out of 100.

Edited by Hookem2147

31 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Atholeets*

Front 7 and OL recruiting have been a problem for a long time. Even the big DB haul we brought in 2018, only maybe Jamison could be considered an elite athlete. 

Most of the elite guys that are serious about football and making the league have been going to Alabama, fOSU, Georgia, and even aggy has purchased a few

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?