Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Might have been true. I have a feeling the defense would have taken a large step backwards under Ash this year considering his lone pass rushing position on the DL was occupied by Jett Bush and Reese Leitao in the bowl game. 

Ossai, Graham and Brown covered up for a lot of issues the defense had and even with them, we still got shredded against competent rushing attacks. 

I would agree with this. I think the defense would definitely would have been worse. I dont think quite this bad, but a step backward would have happened. I think PK has made mistakes that has exacerbated the situation, so it really hard to say where it would have been. 

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Now do Texas Pass Defense for those years because it will answer why the run defense "looked" so good.

It is as if Big 12 OCs know what they are doing.

Hide contents

2017: #108

2018: #110

2019: #125

2020: #106

2021: #69

Defense has generally been an issue for a decade

Big 12 total defense (not the best stat, but the easiest to find)

2021: 8th. 106 nationally

2020: 7th.. 64

2019: 8th...97

2018: 3rd...67

2017: 2nd..41

2016: 7th...94

2015; 7th..107

2014: 2nd..26

2013: 6th...69

2014: 5th...68

Average is 5.5 in the Big 12 and 73.9 nationally. . Just embarrassing that over the last decade the  average Texas defensive finish was not even top 50% of the Big 12. 

33 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2015; 7th..107

Average is 5.5 in the Big 12 and 73.9 nationally. . Just embarrassing that over the last decade the  average Texas defensive finish was not even top 50% of the Big 12. 

Poor to horrible front 7 talent and play will do it....hard to play defense if you can't stop run or get to QB.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I would agree with this. I think the defense would definitely would have been worse. I dont think quite this bad, but a step backward would have happened. I think PK has made mistakes that has exacerbated the situation, so it really hard to say where it would have been. 

The TTU and TCU games last year were enough for me to realize that Ash was good for a one year stop gap, but nothing long term. He was with the team the year before as well, so he knew what he was working with. Watching Duggan stroll up the middle of the defense for 27 yards to end the game was infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

2015; 7th..107

well, starting out very good with a new coach and end up shitty didn't work so maybe this is PK/Sark long game to start out shitty and end up very good.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

The TTU and TCU games last year were enough for me to realize that Ash was good for a one year stop gap, but nothing long term. He was with the team the year before as well, so he knew what he was working with. Watching Duggan stroll up the middle of the defense for 27 yards to end the game was infuriating.

Funny, I thought the same thing with PK when I watched the Arkansas game this year. And Oklahoma. And the 4th quarter of OSU.  

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Funny, I thought the same thing with PK when I watched the Arkansas game this year. And Oklahoma. And the 4th quarter of OSU.  

That's your right, but I don't see the same vacancies in this defense as I saw last year. I see individual guys getting moved or failing at the moment of truth. What I blame him for is the guys who are being put in those positions over and over.

• Hook 'Em 1

That's your right, but I don't see the same vacancies in this defense as I saw last year. I see individual guys getting moved or failing at the moment of truth. What I blame him for is the guys who are being put in those positions over and over.

It’s a little different this year as opposed to last. Ash didn’t get the same offseason opportunity to teach the players. That was the main reason I wanted the defensive staff retained. The defense wasn’t good, but at least there was a development of familiarity.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Poor to horrible front 7 talent and play will do it....hard to play defense if you can't stop run or get to QB.

Fuck. I am a masochist. I just looked at the total offense numbers. Its identical .So for the last decade Texas has averaged being the  5.5 in both total offense and defense in the Big 12. Never had a top 5 offense and defense in the same year. 3 times had an offense and defense ranked in the back half of the Big 12 in the last decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

2015; 7th..107

updating this to DFEI (overall ranking) which makes a huge fucking difference all the way around.

• 2014 - 12
  • 2015 - 41
  • 2016 - 44
  • 2017 - 7
  • 2018 - 30
  • 2019 - 45
  • 2020 - 40
  • 2021 YTD - 36

average of 31.875

I am too lazy to do the rank among B12, but all the way around, don't use unadjusted stats in 2021. we have way better options and choices now.

they tell far from the whole story, especially when considering how much offense the b12 has had in the last 10ish years. normalized stast are great, plus who gives a fuck about garbage time.

Just now, NoName said:

updating this to DFEI (overall ranking) which makes a huge fucking difference all the way around.

• 2014 - 12
  • 2015 - 41
  • 2016 - 44
  • 2017 - 7
  • 2018 - 30
  • 2019 - 45
  • 2020 - 40
  • 2021 YTD - 36

average of 31.875

I am too lazy to do the rank among B12, but all the way around, don't use unadjusted stats in 2021. we have way better options and choices now.

they tell far from the whole story, especially when considering how much offense the b12 has had in the last 10ish years. normalized stast are great, plus who gives a fuck about garbage time.

why I used total defense. That is easy to see where Texas ranks inside the conference. No way I was going to search out the information for all 10 teams the last decade. 

• 2014 - 12
  • 2015 - 41
  • 2016 - 44
  • 2017 - 7
  • 2018 - 30
  • 2019 - 45
  • 2020 - 40
  • 2021 YTD - 36
average of 31.875

So is this saying we aren’t quite as poor defensively statistically specifically as one might think?

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So is this saying we aren’t quite as poor defensively statistically specifically as one might think?

yup, it is. not that that 32nd is GOOD but it is saying it isn't as bad as it appears if you just look at box scores.

74 / 130 is the 44th percentile

32 / 130 is the 76th percentile

I listened to FCB's interview with Michael Griffin and he said players were in the right position, they just weren't making plays. Said he would probably be fired or put in jail for getting all over the players for the level of effort they displayed. It was an interesting listen.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What's the YPP rankings for the same years?

The picture painted above is one of a similar defense that is facing many more plays.  Hence poor totals but a similar effiency index.

DPP (defensive YPP) is unadjusted and would penalize a team playing in a good offensive conference/more good offensive teams.

Spoiler

that said, it's an average of 59.1 over 7 full years +2021 YTD

The Arkansas game was strike one against PK. We let a Swoopes-like QB complete a few big passes over our heads while they gashed us for 330 on the ground. The rush yards were already adding up before the defense “gave out” in the second half.

The OU game was strike two. At halftime it was clear that they weren’t going back to Rattler. PK failed to make a freshman back-up quarterback uncomfortable in the pocket which led to us giving up 300+ on both facets of defense… unacceptable.

Im not counting the OSU game as a third strike. Our offense gifted them seven points and completely disappeared in the third quarter. There was no hope of our offense being able to deplete the game clock at all. The only thing that bothered me was PKs two high safety look when it was blatantly obvious OSU was going to run the ball. Joel Klatt was all over that, if anyone remembers from the game.

We’ll see how PK adjusts after this much needed bye week. The remaining teams aren’t exactly juggernauts on offense, but they can run the ball. If we continue to give up 250-350 on the ground against these teams, it will not end up going well for us in the SEC. Remember what UW fabs said about PK struggling to stop Stanford’s run game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

I listened to FCB's interview with Michael Griffin and he said players were in the right position, they just weren't making plays. Said he would probably be fired or put in jail for getting all over the players for the level of effort they displayed. It was an interesting listen.

So basically he said that our defense is composed of a bunch of bitch-made losers. That sounds believable based on watching our defense during the losses.

6 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

The Arkansas game was strike one against PK. We let a Swoopes-like QB complete a few big passes over our heads while they gashed us for 330 on the ground. The rush yards were already adding up before the defense “gave out” in the second half.

The OU game was strike two. At halftime it was clear that they weren’t going back to Rattler. PK failed to make a freshman back-up quarterback uncomfortable in the pocket which led to us giving up 300+ on both facets of defense… unacceptable.

Im not counting the OSU game as a third strike. Our offense gifted them seven points and completely disappeared in the third quarter. There was no hope of our offense being able to deplete the game clock at all. The only thing that bothered me was PKs two high safety look when it was blatantly obvious OSU was going to run the ball. Joel Klatt was all over that, if anyone remembers from the game.

We’ll see how PK adjusts after this much needed bye week. The remaining teams aren’t exactly juggernauts on offense, but they can run the ball. If we continue to give up 250-350 on the ground against these teams, it will not end up going well for us in the SEC. Remember what UW fabs said about PK struggling to stop Stanford’s run game.

my take on OSU is that PK thought the O would do something if he could just limit the big plays in the passing game that bit us against OU.  Sark's O failed miserably.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

So basically he said that our defense is composed of a bunch of bitch-made losers. That sounds believable based on watching our defense during the losses.

Brian Jones has been saying the same thing. He straight up said, "you can't be a bitch" during an interview on the air when talking about the defense's lack of physicality.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, jinx said:

this is one of the things that drives me crazy. sometimes they are in a position to make a play and just blow it (see Caleb Williams vs Jerrin Thompson on that long TD run) or there is a great play on defense negated by a boneheaded penalty

i think it's at least part of both coaching and lack of adjustments plus our chickens coming home to roost after how many years of not developing dudes.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

this is one of the things that drives me crazy. sometimes they are in a position to make a play and just blow it (see Caleb Williams vs Jerrin Thompson on that long TD run) or there is a great play on defense negated by a boneheaded penalty

i think it's at least part of both coaching and lack of adjustments plus our chickens coming home to roost after how many years of not developing dudes.

The coaches are in a Catch-22 at the moment. The biggest problem is lack of execution. This is a highly respected staff, they have done great things at other locations. They didn't come to Texas and magically forget how to coach. I respect the staff for not throwing the players under the bus, and taking the heat for their players. Sark puts it eloquently, as mental issues, and psyche, but if you were in a one on one conversation with him, he would probably say the same things Michael Griffin, and Brian Jones are saying.

CHIEF

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The coaches are in a Catch-22 at the moment. The biggest problem is lack of execution. This is a highly respected staff, they have done great things at other locations. They didn't come to Texas and magically forget how to coach. I respect the staff for not throwing the players under the bus, and taking the heat for their players. Sark puts it eloquently, as mental issues, and psyche, but if you were in a one on one conversation with him, he would probably say the same things Michael Griffin, and Brian Jones are saying.

CHIEF

He has started to call it out. Called the team fragile. The culture/attitude of the team  is the one thing that seems to have surprised the last 3 coaches. All have come in and been shocked by the culture they have inherited 

He has started to call it out. Called the team fragile. The culture/attitude of the team  is the one thing that seems to have surprised the last 3 coaches. All have come in and been shocked by the culture they have inherited 

Not a damn one has done a thing to fix it or change it either.
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Brian Jones has been saying the same thing. He straight up said, "you can't be a bitch" during an interview on the air when talking about the defense's lack of physicality.

Cross-posting since a great listen -- Beginning of the hour, Brian Jones rant about TEXAS defense is on point !!!  "They don't have the right guys on defense."

Brian says no player leadership holding each other accountable on defense, and nobody on defense is striking, hitting, or tackling worth a crap.  Also criticized Overshown for constantly losing track of where the ball was and running himself out of too many plays.

44 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

They need to start running the soft/lazy/entitled players off the team. Remember what DKR said, “angry people win football games”. I think there’s a culture of “I made it to UT, now I can take it easy and have a good time”. Players need to be put on notice. You work your ass off or you’re fucking gone.

• Rage+1 1

They need to start running the soft/lazy/entitled players off the team. Remember what DKR said, “angry people win football games”. I think there’s a culture of “I made it to UT, now I can take it easy and have a good time”. Players need to be put on notice. You work your ass off or you’re fucking gone.

The only problem is when you replace bitches with bitches.

Meh, Mack won with “soft” players.

The problem isn’t that the are soft. It is that they are shitty. They are also fine with getting shafted by officials, seeing their QB get hit and standing around or getting a sweet tackle on air.

Poona Ford is one of those soft players. Justin Tucker is as well. Sam, Shane, Bijan, Roshon, etc.

Problem is not whether they ride the bus to practice, but vacating their spot to block air, or spin around and fall down with no contact, or worse take out a teammate.

Offensive line should be watched with yakety sax

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Not a damn one has done a thing to fix it or change it either.

Not saying you are one, but a lot on this board were crying about Alfred Collins not playing.  Maybe he was one of the most egregious in displaying a shitty attitude and Sark and crew were trying to change the culture.  I guess they could have said he was benched for acting like an entitled pussy, the team and recruits might have been negatively impacted, but hey - everyone on Surly would have known what was going on.  Except the ones who just knew he was lying about it.   

200.gif

2000-2004 saw UT get destroyed by OU and many other teams with a pulse. Mack had previously killed it in recruiting so they were able to show up and win some despite some softness.

VY and Greg Robinson helped lead the team to overcame some softness beginning in ‘04. That year the defense knocked out nearly every QB on the schedule.

I mean arguing Texas has had soft players over the past 10-12 years is low hanging fruit, but throwing out Poona Ford, Sam Ehlinger, Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, and a kicker (possibly the best one in the history of the sport) as examples is... a take.

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

Meh, Mack won with “soft” players.

The problem isn’t that the are soft. It is that they are shitty. They are also fine with getting shafted by officials, seeing their QB get hit and standing around or getting a sweet tackle on air.

Poona Ford is one of those soft players. Justin Tucker is as well. Sam, Shane, Bijan, Roshon, etc.

Problem is not whether they ride the bus to practice, but vacating their spot to block air, or spin around and fall down with no contact, or worse take out a teammate.

Offensive line should be watched with yakety sax

What?? Justin Tucker is a soft kicker? What the hell does "soft" Kicker even mean. Sam is lot of things, but soft is not one. Soft is watching Overshown go around blocks. Watching Brockmeyer get thrown to the ground by a 160 pound WR in RRS. Foster try to go around Stoops' block on counter. You literally through out players that were not soft. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 2

What?? Justin Tucker is a soft kicker? What the hell does "soft" Kicker even mean. Sam is lot of things, but soft is not one. Soft is watching Overshown go around blocks. Watching Brockmeyer get thrown to the ground by a 160 pound WR in RRS. Foster try to go around Stoops' block on counter. You literally through out players that were not soft. 

Derrick Johnson used to run around blocks too. Not sure I’d consider him soft.

I have a question, based on what y’all have seen who would y’all start???? If I had to choose I’m going with: 

Ends - Ogie, Collins

Tackles - Ojomo, Sweat 

LB - Ford, Overshown 

DB - Jamison, Barron, Cook, Josh Thompson, Jerrin Thompson 

I like Sweat and when he’s healthy and Fresh he’s a beast and our best DL imo. Coburn has been a disappointment so far, not because he’s new to the system but he’s playing high, getting pushed back and allow OL to get to the 2nd level and just not making the plays we know he can make. 

Say what you want about Ford not knowing the plays or BS, but the difference he made when Overshown went out was crazy, the speed at the position definitely showed and you can tell he’s starting to get developed, him and Overshown in the middle imo drastically helps this defense. Brockermyere hasn’t played his way out, it’s just Ford has played his way in, I think the coaches were just waiting for that lightbulb to go off. 

Now for the Secondary everyone is the same except for Corner and the SS. every-time Barron has played he’s showed me something, and I think he is a great player in the making so I’d put him at the other corner opposite of Jamison and id put Josh Thompson at SS over Foster. He played the position in High school, we know he will come up and hit but the plus is he can cover unlike Foster who has made plays but he definitely has hurt us there.  I’ve heard rumblings of this happening but nothing for sure, Jerrin Thompson hasn’t played up to what I thought but we haven’t seen Adimora and Schooler is a walking TD so we can’t really go with anyone else based off of performance. 

.If the coaches are actually watching film imo I think this is the best line-up based on past performances, the only other player who has shown me something is Murphy but we only have two interior and Sweat and Ojomo are solid. Murphy will definitely be in rotation though  

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I have a question, based on what y’all have seen who would y’all start???? If I had to choose I’m going with: 

Ends - Ogie, Collins

Tackles - Ojomo, Sweat 

LB - Ford, Overshown 

I give you that Ovie gives us more of a consistent pass rush, however he runs so far upfield it usually leaves a 5 yard wide running lane.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Derrick Johnson used to run around blocks too. Not sure I’d consider him soft.

Plenty of athletic guys get away with poor fundamental play like that, but it is not what they do all the time. If you ran ISO at DJ he wouldnt Ole the play. Time and a place for everything. DJ would bring the wood when it was called for, especially as he grew into being a LB. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Ends - Ogie, Collins

Tackles - Ojomo, Sweat 

LB - Ford, Overshown 

I like Sweat and when he’s healthy and Fresh he’s a beast and our best DL imo. Coburn has been a disappointment so far, not because he’s new to the system but he’s playing high, getting pushed back and allow OL to get to the 2nd level and just not making the plays we know he can make. 

Say what you want about Ford not knowing the plays or BS, but the difference he made when Overshown went out was crazy, the speed at the position definitely showed and you can tell he’s starting to get developed, him and Overshown in the middle imo drastically helps this defense. Brockermyere hasn’t played his way out, it’s just Ford has played his way in, I think the coaches were just waiting for that lightbulb to go off. 

Now for the Secondary everyone is the same except for Corner and the SS. every-time Barron has played he’s showed me something, and I think he is a great player in the making so I’d put him at the other corner opposite of Jamison and id put Josh Thompson at SS over Foster. He played the position in High school, we know he will come up and hit but the plus is he can cover unlike Foster who has made plays but he definitely has hurt us there.  I’ve heard rumblings of this happening but nothing for sure, Jerrin Thompson hasn’t played up to what I thought but we haven’t seen Adimora and Schooler is a walking TD so we can’t really go with anyone else based off of performance. 

.If the coaches are actually watching film imo I think this is the best line-up based on past performances, the only other player who has shown me something is Murphy but we only have two interior and Sweat and Ojomo are solid. Murphy will definitely be in rotation though  

I’m assuming you’re proposing a 4 man  DL. If so, you can’t play Ovie there. He’s small, weak, and never keeps contain. He’s get tucking murdered. Right now, he can only play Sam or when covered by a DE, which is the problem. You then have to sacrifice a ton of pass rush with a 4 man line. There’s really no good options right now. 

I think the best is playing the 5-2-4 we rolled out against Okie State since remaining teams like Baylor and KSU are very run heavy. If you do that though, you have to move cook to safety. You can’t have your best player on the bench while playing BJ Foster or Schooler. Moving Josh Thompson to Safety would also be interesting. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m assuming you’re proposing a 4 man  DL. If so, you can’t play Ovie there. He’s small, weak, and never keeps contain. He’s get tucking murdered. Right now, he can only play Sam or when covered by a DE, which is the problem. You then have to sacrifice a ton of pass rush with a 4 man line. There’s really no good options right now. 

I think the best is playing the 5-2-4 we rolled out against Okie State since remaining teams like Baylor and KSU are very run heavy. If you do that though, you have to move cook to safety. You can’t have your best player on the bench while playing BJ Foster or Schooler. Moving Josh Thompson to Safety would also be interesting. 

That’s definitely true and I did consider Ben Davis over Ogie, but the pass rush Ogie gives us was the edge plus Davis has been in and out so we really don’t know what he can do, I mean unless you go with 4 heavy’s then I think maybe move Ojomo to end and put Murphy in the middle, but idk if our pass rush takes a hit. But situations do matter so I would definitely adjust. I was doing a 4-2-5 tho PKs base defense  4 linemen, 2 backers and 5 DBs. But you are correct with the Running game by Baylor we would have to adjust. 

Edited by D3zii

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I give you that Ovie gives us more of a consistent pass rush, however he runs so far upfield it usually leaves a 5 yard wide running lane.

I definitely considered Ben Davis for that exact reason but he hasn’t been on the field much to show us anything other than a few snaps 

• Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?