Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

As some have mentioned, you gotta try Ojomo-Sweat-Coburn-Collins. Then you do have decent pieces to help in the run game.

I’m not even sure that Coburn needs to start, but suppose we were to have an epiphany and start lining up like that.  Who subs in to give the big boys a breather? Because it gets pretty ugly as soon as we rotate in fresh players. I guess stuff the run early, try to build a lead and hold on for dear life as we wear down later.

• Like 1

I’m not even sure that Coburn needs to start, but suppose we were to have an epiphany and start lining up like that.  Who subs in to give the big boys a breather? Because it gets pretty ugly as soon as we rotate in fresh players. I guess stuff the run early, try to build a lead and hold on for dear life as we wear down later.

Honestly I’m not concerned who starts. Coburn likely has to be in there as part of the rotation. The weather should be cooler so each could get more run with less fatigue. Just cause Murphy doesn’t start doesn’t mean he gets limited reps.

I know it’s blasphemy but rotate Sawyer-Welch in there too. Ask him to give us two series. Don’t get blown off the ball and do his job. Broughton, Bush, Sorrell too. The latter two are more suited for a 4 man front than 3.

Even if our base is a 4 man front, that doesn’t mean we never go with 3.
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Honestly I’m not concerned who starts. Coburn likely has to be in there as part of the rotation. The weather should be cooler so each could get more run with less fatigue. Just cause Murphy doesn’t start doesn’t mean he gets limited reps.

I know it’s blasphemy but rotate Sawyer-Welch in there too. Ask him to give us two series. Don’t get blown off the ball and do his job. Broughton, Bush, Sorrell too. The latter two are more suited for a 4 man front than 3.

Even if our base is a 4 man front, that doesn’t mean we never go with 3.

I’m just thinking about us being 1 deep on the DL, and that the fall of would be precipitous once the starters tire. Maybe more three down if we can build a lead and force other teams to pass.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, bschoolprof said:

DDg4tl.gif

PK run defense in a nutshell.  

1) Baylor ends up sending out no receivers, with 9 blockers on the play; we have 3 dudes at least 10 yards off the LOS at the snap, with the two safeties bailing. They are off the screen. 

2) Absolutely terrible gap integrity in the front 7. Our DL in this 3-4 is supposed to occupy lineman and free up LBs. The center and tackle reach the LBs effortlessly. The gap assignments are hard to discern here. Frankly, it looks like our players have little idea. They play soft and uncertain.

3) The LBs tip toe up toward the line, waiting for the free lineman to come to them.  

4) Ford runs himself out of position and then gets held right in front of the ref (thanks Big 12).  

This is quite possibly the worst run defense I've ever seen here, and that includes the Gary Darnell and Tony Orlando years.  And it's not just talent.  They are playing uncertain and scared because their coach is coaching uncertain and scared.  

A couple of recurring themes that I see on play:

Coburn is regressing.  He's too high to post the doubleteam.  Then, instead of dropping down to hold ground or create a pile, he lets himself get ran off to Lazbuddie.  I'm really starting to get the feeling this is the weakest piece on the defense.  WTF is wrong with Snacks?  The most disappointing player.

ILBs.  They get a conflicting key from the HB, but both are 3 or 4 steps into the flow by the time the RB makes his cut.  Ford is a step too far even if there were no conflicting action, but that may in part be compensation for Coburn getting shoved into the bench.  Might as well only have 10 players because Overshown is on Thornton's toes. (Thornton is good here.) Plus, both guards turn early, and there's absolutely no desire to fill from either ILB which makes them easy targets for lineman working up field.  If Ford just runs to open grass, he's getting a hit in the backfield.

Technically, this play goes through Murphy's original gap (C).  He is slow enough off the line that he makes no meaningful contact on the Tackle and the TE is able to get completely inside on him.   He does recover and drive the TE back.  Well enough that the play still would have been successful if Coburn had just sat down and let bodies pile up.  If Murphy were on the correct side or moderately close to it, he has an easy tackle here.

• Rage+1 1

Coburn is regressing because he's asked to do literally nothing. Go tell a DL their job is to take on 2 OL every play, and see how much they enjoy the game. All the joy he had for football is likely been driven out of him.

I still laugh at Dunn, he's 15 yards outside the box on a play that Baylor has no one on his side of the field to create conflict for him. I don't think Kwiatkowski coaches any instincts into our players.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Coburn is regressing because he's asked to do literally nothing. Go tell a DL their job is to take on 2 OL every play, and see how much they enjoy the game. All the joy he had for football is likely been driven out of him.

I still laugh at Dunn, he's 15 yards outside the box on a play that Baylor has no one on his side of the field to create conflict for him. I don't think Kwiatkowski coaches any instincts into our players.

people make 10 year careers in the NFL just occupying blocks and not giving up ground. It isnt sexy, but you can make a good living doing it. Coburn is trying Caden Sterns approach. Peak as a freshmen and get drafted. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

people make 10 year careers in the NFL just occupying blocks and not giving up ground. It isnt sexy, but you can make a good living doing it. Coburn is trying Caden Sterns approach. Peak as a freshmen and get drafted. 

Isn't Sterns doing all right for himself in the NFL in his rookie season?

Getting paid to eat blocks is a little bit different. Still he had 25 tackles in 9 games last year, so far he has 8 in 6 games this year. Shit even in Orlando's last year he had 24 tackles in 8 games.

Edited by HtownHorn

22 hours ago, Codaxx said:

You do realize bend and don’t break has its issues. Like when you give up 300 yards in a half, on 44 plays, and 20 pts. That has consequences for the 2nd half. I can’t believe people are defending that performances and thinking it’s even remotely good. You guys have some serious PTSD from watching shitty defenses over the past decade 

huh? I don't think its remotely good.  I want the dude gone even though I'm sure he will be here next year.  I hate bend don't break bullshit mantra as some excuse.  I'm just talking about what I see and you are correct that allowing 44 plays in a half is gonna have consequences later.  in the OU game they got hosed on the first TD with the non OOB call so I'm saying the did fine in the first half of the OU game.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Isn't Sterns doing all right for himself in the NFL in his rookie season?

Getting paid to eat blocks is a little bit different. Still he had 25 tackles in 9 games last year, so far he has 8 in 6 games this year. Shit even in Orlando's last year he had 24 tackles in 8 games.

Sweat has 17 tackles in less snaps.  It's Coburn not the scheme.  I suppose it could be Coburn being unable to play it, but it's not like he's looking much better in our 4-down front.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Sweat has 17 tackles in less snaps.  It's Coburn not the scheme.  I suppose it could be Coburn being unable to play it, but it's not like he's looking much better in our 4-down front.

Sweat is just better and has more upside. Coburn hasn’t been the same since his freshmen year. He is too heavy, but oddly gets pushed around 

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Its called being weak

I just remember him talking about how the coaches wanted him to lose weight and he was on board. Came in like 2 pounds lighter, which is bowel movement for someone his size. That kind of tells you about his commitment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lol at 340 pounds what the fuck does he expect? We’re gonna run the fucking Philly Special for him?

Dudes like Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata made a lot of money, won rings, and got tons of accolades because they realized that was their lot in life (football-wise, anyway) and embraced it….

• Like 1

Lol at 340 pounds what the fuck does he expect? We’re gonna run the fucking Philly Special for him?
Dudes like Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata made a lot of money, won rings, and got tons of accolades because they realized that was their lot in life (football-wise, anyway) and embraced it….

It’s takes a special mindset for someone to do that. Most people want the attention and stats. I bet it’s hell finding someone to do the dirty work like that if you don’t have much a history of putting guys in the NFL.

It’s takes a special mindset for someone to do that. Most people want the attention and stats. I bet it’s hell finding someone to do the dirty work like that if you don’t have much a history of putting guys in the NFL.

That’s the thing. PK has gotten at least 3 guys drafted high in his position. Danny Shelton, Vita Vea, and Greg Gaines. All of them controlled the LOS and played strong. Coburn’s the highest rated guy of the group by far, but he ain’t about that action at all.
He should listen to whatever that guy says and play his ass off bc his stock would skyrocket if he did.

13 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That’s the thing. PK has gotten at least 3 guys drafted high in his position. Danny Shelton, Vita Vea, and Greg Gaines. All of them controlled the LOS and played strong. Coburn’s the highest rated guy of the group by far, but he ain’t about that action at all.
He should listen to whatever that guy says and play his ass off bc his stock would skyrocket if he did.

The only thing skyrocketing with Coburn is his cholesterol. 

• Haha 1

How do we have so many players that think it's ok to just show up?

That's inconcievable yet the talent they displayed as prospects and the seeming lack of effort show it's the case. That all goes back to culture. The program has a culture that allows for guys to feel safe just mailing it in. I'm not sure how to flush that out of the program but once it is gone I have a feeling these coaches will all of a sudden look a lot better. 

This should be Sark's number 1 agenda. Problem is we don't know if he has any idea how to get there. 

44 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If TCU can pull this off then maybe we can send PK away without a full buyout 

Petersen is on TCU's list of people to call, it doesn't mean TCU is on his list of calls to take. He does seem like he's actually done, but if he does get back in, he ain't goin' to no damn TCU.

I wanted to post this for contrast to above.  I believe this is Ojomo taking on a doubleteam (4i to the field).  He initially gets pushed about 2 yards, but is going drop his inside hip down (eventually getting all the way down to his to his knee) between the blockers to hold his ground.  When the guard releases, Ojomo is just kneeling there waiting on the RB.  It is gritty work - ugly looking, but it's the difference between being good and not.

2021_Week_08_Baylor_vs_Texas_in_18_minutes.gif.d49536e84ea45312c875632e8f5157e8.gif

Edited by JBJ
gif fix

26 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I wanted to post this for contrast to above.  I believe this is Ojomo taking on a doubleteam (4i to the field).  He initially gets pushed about 2 yards, but is going drop his inside hip down (eventually getting all the way down to his to his knee) between the blockers to hold his ground.  When the guard releases, Ojomo is just kneeling there waiting on the RB.  It is gritty work - ugly looking, but it's the difference between being good and not.

2021_Week_08_Baylor_vs_Texas_in_18_minutes.gif.d49536e84ea45312c875632e8f5157e8.gif

Damn that's an ugly hold being applied to Coburn

23 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Hate the LB play. Gbenda needs to really attack the double in front of him. Its better than Ford, but still a bit passive. This is taught at the lowest levels of football. This is why they are so prone to being blocked on zone. They either sit back and wait for the RB to make his cut or they feather the block. They need to haul ass and fill that with some violence to make it hard on the OL that is doubling then moving up to them. Just very passive. 

17 hours ago, JBJ said:

Coburn was all big 12 honorable mention last year.  He gave most centers a lot of trouble when he had 1 on 1 matchups with them.  We're asking him to fucking hold double team blocks to allow our fucking walk on Luke Brockermeyer to make the tackles.  This scheme does not fit our fucking personnel.  We have essentially neutered the strength of this team which is the interior DL.  Chris Ash was a much better fit for what we need from a DC.  We have athletes.  It's not like our players are worse athletically than the rest of the Big 12.  We need a fucking DC to simply the schemes and put these players in the right places and to teach them basic fucking fundamentals.  Basically what Greg Robinson did after we fired Manny Diaz mid season.  I'm more shocked that a coach that gets paid 5 fucking million that spent time in the NFL could not look at our roster and figure out that a 4 man DL would be better than fucking running whatever bullshit we are running right now. 

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Funny enough, Coburn actually beats his man, gets held and shows good backside pursuit here. Problem is a 340 lb NT who either can’t or won’t eat double teams isn’t all that useful. I guess you could put him at 3 tech in a 4 man front. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Hate the LB play. Gbenda needs to really attack the double in front of him. Its better than Ford, but still a bit passive. This is taught at the lowest levels of football. This is why they are so prone to being blocked on zone. They either sit back and wait for the RB to make his cut or they feather the block. They need to haul ass and fill that with some violence to make it hard on the OL that is doubling then moving up to them. Just very passive. 

Our LBs are god awful, including Overshown. He makes some nice plays in space, but he’s probably the worst LB who sees the field in terms of run fits and gap assignment. He’s a liability and so are Foster and Schooler behind him. Foster and Overshown love to play the exact same wrong gap on run plays. It’s incredible how many times they’re basically on top of each other in the wrong gap while the RB gets a clean run through the designed gap. 

Ford showed some flashes in the run game against OSU, but he’s otherwise also been terrible in run D all year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Coburn has been a massive disappointment. He's probably not as strong as he was thought to be. No man that size should be stalemating with so many OL. He should be controlling that gap.

He‘s always been a guy with elite quickness for his size who’s better at penetrating than eating blocks. He really is a 3 tech in a NT’s body. Unfortunately, we’re primarily asking him to be a NT and eat blocks. It’s just one fo about 50 examples of this entire staff not understanding their personnel in the slightest. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He‘s always been a guy with elite quickness for his size who’s better at penetrating than eating blocks. He really is a 3 tech in a NT’s body. Unfortunately, we’re primarily asking him to be a NT and eat blocks. It’s just one fo about 50 examples of this entire staff not understanding their personnel in the slightest. 

Are there no fucking analysts reviewing this shit?  I can't believe that at this point of the season we are still misusing our personnel.  Meatheads gonna meathead.

5 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Are there no fucking analysts reviewing this shit?  I can't believe that at this point of the season we are still misusing our personnel.  Meatheads gonna meathead.

I'm pretty sure Orlando/Strong are still wondering why Malcolm Roach isn't playing linebacker.

Are we just going to ignore the fact that Coburn did a terrible job of trying to fight thru the block play side? I don’t think he’s stunting either. That’s how you get gashed. You can’t do that.

Brockermeyer undercut his too. But they both did a good job of continuing to play.

The BU center does a good job of not holding in my opinion. Certainly not anything I’d expect to be called. If he gets higher, under the neck, that’s different.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

His positioning looks worse because Ojomo gets pushed back onto his toes.  He wants to be stacked on the combo.  He needs to play C back to A.  Brock and Coburn can press into A, but no one is there if Thornton gets kicked.

It's supposed to be different positioning and aggression than the split-action from the first play.

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Funny enough, Coburn actually beats his man, gets held and shows good backside pursuit here. Problem is a 340 lb NT who either can’t or won’t eat double teams isn’t all that useful. I guess you could put him at 3 tech in a 4 man front. 

Our LBs are god awful, including Overshown. He makes some nice plays in space, but he’s probably the worst LB who sees the field in terms of run fits and gap assignment. He’s a liability and so are Foster and Schooler behind him. Foster and Overshown love to play the exact same wrong gap on run plays. It’s incredible how many times they’re basically on top of each other in the wrong gap while the RB gets a clean run through the designed gap. 

Ford showed some flashes in the run game against OSU, but he’s otherwise also been terrible in run D all year. 

I just dont understand how the LBs seem to ignore the OL reads. It is like they through out the triangle and are reading the RB. I would say it is Choate, but this shit has been going on for years. 2 things to playing LB. The damn triangle and run to space (basically the same thing as a RB in a mirror), but neither are being done. Its like having a QB that waits for the WR to get open, except a LB has 1/2 the time to make a decision. So frustrating to watch. 

16 minutes ago, JBJ said:

His positioning looks worse because Ojomo gets pushed back onto his toes.  He wants to be stacked on the combo.  He needs to play C back to A.  Brock and Coburn can press into A, but no one is there if Thornton gets kicked.

It's supposed to be different positioning and aggression than the split-action from the first play.

Lbs are taught to attack the double at every level of play. That stops the OL from climbing to you or at a minimum you are engaged yard or 2 off the LOS. I am talking about the play side LB. You are hitting on the issue. The LBs are not trusting the defense. They are trying to play multiple gaps by feathering the OL and actually giving the RB a 2 way go. If the LB makes a decision, he will be in a gap and DT will be in an adjacent gap (You will hear many coaches say "Make the DL right"). That is sound defense. You love him to protect multiple gaps, but lets get to fundamental minimum first. The issue is they are generally hanging back holding on to options and getting Ds and Fs, because they are allowing the OL to dictate contact.  I am talking about overall play, not just this example. 

Edited by Codaxx

On 10/31/2021 at 8:49 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

This post right here! Let’s say PK says fuck it and tells our DL to go be animals. They tire out and our backups get tired. We give up 80 points and 700 yards to blOwU. You guys are ok with that scenario? How many times have we heard the S&C sucks already on this thread and every other thread people create? You mother fuckers get tunnel vision and think that coaches can work miracles. Coburn is 350, Collins is 305, their backups are such a significant drop off that it’s nauseating. Neither one of them have a high motor either. They’re not Aaron Donald and jj watt. The fuck do we do when they need a few drives to recover or we start that 3 and out shit over and over again. Blow outs, that’s what happens. Ugly blow outs. Arkansas on repeat for every game but Kansas. 

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

A DC  that doesn’t prefer atavus or rugby tackling. A DC that doesn’t play safeties 15 yards off the LOS in 3rd/4th and shorts. A DC that utilizes DL rather than make them eat up blockers. 

I'm not defending PK, but go back and read the first few pages of this thread. Someone's got to explain the disconnect. @Burt Macklin was excited, and the way he described PK using DL isn't like what you're annoyed with. Is it just a terrible combo of players, scheme, and coaching? 

18 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'm not defending PK, but go back and read the first few pages of this thread. Someone's got to explain the disconnect. @Burt Macklin was excited, and the way he described PK using DL isn't like what you're annoyed with. Is it just a terrible combo of players, scheme, and coaching? 

I have no clue how it’s this bad. PK’s defense has never had this level of issues before, and it’s hard to pinpoint which exact factors are causing it. I’d say the biggest ones are his utter lack of adjustments, poor personnel to scheme fit (his D has LBs and safeties making plays and those are our worst positions), possibly not having Lake with him, and probably also not getting to pick his assistants. Overall this staff has done a horrible job evaluating its personnel. But there are many other factors beyond those that come into ply when the defense is this much of an abject failure. I’ve never seen a DC allow their team to get killed by the run game after game and never make changes. 

I certainly didn’t see this coming. I don’t think anyone else did either. The general reaction of people around here and knowledgeable CFB media was all very positive. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

just my point of view from watching PK and looking at some of his prior work. He has gone very conservative at Texas. HE was much more aggressive at Washington. Used to run predominantly 3 high and have CBs up tight, almost in a bail technique. Now he has cover 4 and everyone well off the ball. I am not sure if he just doesnt trust the secondary or if it is another issue. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have no clue how it’s this bad. PK’s defense has never had these type of issues before, and it’s hard to pinpoint which exact factors are causing it. I’d say the biggest ones are his utter lack of adjustments, poor personnel to scheme fit (his D has LBs and safeties making plays and those are our worst positions), possibly not having Lake with him, and probably also not getting to pick his assistants. Overall this staff has done a horrible job evaluating its personnel. But there are many other factors beyond those that come into ply when the defense is this much of an abject failure. I’ve never seen a DC allow their team to get killed by the run game after game and never make changes. 

I certainly didn’t see this coming. I don’t think anyone else did either. The general reaction of people around here and knowledgeable CFB media was all very positive. 

Thanks. I think there is a disconnect in fan perception of talent and actual talent, but like you said, it shouldn't be this bad. I just think outside of Will Muschamp wanting to take over and bringing 6 transfers with him, hiring someone like Zac Arnett would just lead to similar results. I hope they let PK hire someone to coach the secondary if that's part of the issue.

Do you think the scheme is fine to build the next few seasons?

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

Thanks. I think there is a disconnect in fan perception of talent and actual talent, but like you said, it shouldn't be this bad. I just think outside of Will Muschamp wanting to take over and bringing 6 transfers with him, hiring someone like Zac Arnett would just lead to similar results. I hope they let PK hire someone to coach the secondary if that's part of the issue.

Do you think the scheme is fine to build the next few seasons?

His scheme would likely be fine if he has the right front 6/7, but he’s not going to get that any time soon, and he’s shown no ability to adjust whatsoever. I held out a bit of hope we’d see some good changes over the bye, and the only thing he did was start Schooler, who’s fucking awful, and kept letting Baylor run it down our throats. 

At this point, I don’t see any reason to believe he’ll make the necessary changes or that we can get the right personnel in here next year, so I’m ready to move on, which is truly wild because I never would’ve believed I’d think that at the start of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

His scheme would likely be fine if he has the right front 6/7, but he’s not going to get that any time soon, and he’s shown no ability to adjust whatsoever. I held out a bit of hope we’d see some good changes over the bye, and the only thing he did was start Schooler, who’s fucking awful, and kept letting Baylor run it down our throats. 

At this point, I don’t see any reason to believe he’ll make the necessary changes or that we can get the right personnel in here next year, so I’m ready to move on, which is truly wild because I never would’ve believed I’d think that at the start of the season. 

Yeah. It's just odd that the only explanation to him not making adjustments is that he's both dumb and stubborn.

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

Who do you want?

A DC who can simplify things for the first year before implementing disguises and other schemes. Much like how Greg Robinson did it. He made it simple and let the athletes play. Also wanted to add a guy that can adjust. I don't have a specific guy in mind. This won't go over well with Surly, and it 99% will never happen, but I wouldn't mind Mike Elko. Good recruiter, good DC. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?