Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Losing PK would suck. This has been the best defense we've had in ages and PK deserves the credit for that. 

That said, I'd be shocked if he left for USC. They won't outbid us (especially after taxes), he'd be inheriting a mess, and Lincoln Riley teams are a graveyard for DCs. He's also never even coached in California so it's not like he has major ties there. His "West Coast" background is really Idaho, Montana and Washington which is not SoCal.

But yeah, makes sense USC would have him as a target. That doesn't mean much..

Bingo.....I wonder how our secondary would look if some of those holds that aren't called get called. I think it completely changes how our secondary looks because our DL would be able to feast if they're not getting tackled.

No doubt. Our pass rush lanes might even be more consistent. If you’re being held, you start doing things a bit differently in attempt to make the play.

51 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Gideon wasn't athletic.  Maybe he wants players like him?

I wouldn't say that.  He seems to be trying to upgrade the position, but he hasn't figured out a way to put Taaffe's brain into Crawford's body yet.

The bigger concern is what are Allen and Jordan doing?  Are they busts?

• Hook 'Em 1

BJ Allen is just a weird situation. He is more athletic than Taffe and Thompson. He can’t be worse in coverage than Crawford. 

Gary Patterson liked Allen in 22 and was telling coaches to get him ready to play big snaps in 2023. GP left and he got dropped to the back of the line. 

Also Austin Jordan should be a safety right now. Must likely would be a starting safety if they would have moved him in the spring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

BJ Allen is just a weird situation. He is more athletic than Taffe and Thompson. He can’t be worse in coverage than Crawford. 

Gary Patterson liked Allen in 22 and was telling coaches to get him ready to play big snaps in 2023. GP left and he got dropped to the back of the line. 

Also Austin Jordan should be a safety right now. Must likely would be a starting safety if they would have moved him in the spring. 

That fuck stick Gideon, I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

It was head-scratching that one of Jordan or Guilbeau were not moved to safety this spring. I guess Guilbeau was coming back from injury so maybe that is why.

With Warren Roberson and McDonald potentially profiling at nickel also they absolutely should have Jordan repping at safety this spring.

Patterson was a fan of Gideon and liked working with him from what I understand so I don't think we have total idiots in the coaching office.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

And it would be slightly easier with the Cali taxation, housing costs, etc.  And, as mentioned, the travel is about to get rough for SoCal teams.  

That and why the fuck would any coordinator in their right mind take a risk on a program that's tanking in recruiting and has rumors of the HC possibly trying to jump to the NFL? PKs situation is far too good and stable at Texas right now for him to move out to California and risk being associated with fucking Lincoln Riley.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Texas is ranked 6th nationally in DFEI. For reference, we're ranked 19th in OFEI.

We're ranked 30th in passing defense (based on efficiency) and 10th in rushing defense. 

We accomplished that, despite having the 10th most difficult strength of schedule (and 5th ranked strength of record). 

Anyone who wants to see PK gone is fucking regarded. There are valid criticisms of Gideon and Joseph, especially regarding personnel decisions at safety and pre-snap alignment for our corners, but those can only be attributed to PK in a "the buck stops here" sense. Otherwise, the man has been fucking lights out. 

I like PK, I just dont have a strong feeling there. I want him stay, but I would not be in meltdown mode if he left. I still think the biggest mistake Sark made coaching was filling out the defensive staff, prior to having the DC. I realize this was probably a pivot from his 1st choice. PK is definitely a solid DC. We are all nitpicking the defense, because that is what message boards/fans do. The overall results have been very good, but it is frustrating to watch teams become 1 dimensional and still have success. I doubt he leaves for USC, so this is probably all just nonsense. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  The much weirder coaching trend line to me is on offense.  We are roughly the same each of the 3 seasons under Sark, regardless of whether we have Quinn Ewers looking like a 1st round pick and throwing to a loaded WR/TE corps with 5 stars on the OL … or whether we have Casey Thompson throwing to JAGs with no offensive tackles.  It’s weird.

Nah, the consistency has gotten much better. You may not see the outlier 70 point performances but you also don't see scoring 7 against Iowa State or 3 offensive points against TCU.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I like PK, I just dont have a strong feeling there. I want him stay, but I would not be in meltdown mode if he left. I still think the biggest mistake Sark made coaching was filling out the defensive staff, prior to having the DC. I realize this was probably a pivot from his 1st choice. PK is definitely a solid DC. We are all nitpicking the defense, because that is what message boards/fans do. The overall results have been very good, but it is frustrating to watch teams become 1 dimensional and still have success. 

A coordinator shouldn't need to handpick all his assistants, especially on defense. And PK brought on Choate who worked with him previously. A coordinator having a say in 1 or 2 assistants is pretty standard. 

There are only so many things you can do schematically on the defensive side of the football. I get wanting to have guys who are familiar with your vision and what you do, but a college level DL coach or DB coach should have the ability to teach a variety of schemes/techniques/calls.

Edited by Hookem2147

19 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Texas is ranked 6th nationally in DFEI. For reference, we're ranked 19th in OFEI.

We're ranked 30th in passing defense (based on efficiency) and 10th in rushing defense. 

We accomplished that, despite having the 10th most difficult strength of schedule (and 5th ranked strength of record). 

Anyone who wants to see PK gone is fucking regarded. There are valid criticisms of Gideon and Joseph, especially regarding personnel decisions at safety and pre-snap alignment for our corners, but those can only be attributed to PK in a "the buck stops here" sense. Otherwise, the man has been fucking lights out. 

Ah yea, sure, but we also refuse to play man coverage on every down and occasionally bust coverages. Should be fired imho. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A coordinator shouldn't need to handpick all his assistants, especially on defense. And PK brought on Choate who worked with him previously. A coordinator having a say in 1 or 2 assistants is pretty standard. 

There are only so many things you can do schematically on the defensive side of the football. I get wanting to have guys who are familiar with your vision and what you do, but a college level DL coach or DB coach should have the ability to teach a variety of schemes/techniques/calls.

You never know how people work together and secondary is pretty important piece of a defense. 

27 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

That and why the fuck would any coordinator in their right mind take a risk on a program that's tanking in recruiting and has rumors of the HC possibly trying to jump to the NFL? PKs situation is far too good and stable at Texas right now for him to move out to California and risk being associated with fucking Lincoln Riley.

It would be a MONSTER money whip if they did.  Like double up on his salary to 3.5+  

Not happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was way down on PK in year 1, because that was the worst defense we’ve had since 1997, but I’m fine with him now and would like him to stay.  We give up passing yards because we play a walk-on at safety, a scholarship player who is even slower than the walk-on (Thompson), and a really athletic cyborg programmed to bust coverages (Crawford).
One coaching issue is that Crawford either should have been taught better or, in any case if he just can’t get it, he shouldn’t have kept playing given the insane amount of TD causing busts he’s had the last few years.  But that’s not a problem fundamental to the coordinator level. 
Think of how bad the run defense was in 2021 even with the same DT guys like Sweat and Coburn who were good before and after that year.  It’s because our LBs and DEs were walk-ons and a couple of transfers who were 3rd string at their prior schools.  Then we upgraded the talent at those positions, and the defense was fine.  Upgrading our edge rushers - which is happening - and the obvious athletic upgrades that can be made to the secondary will also remedy the remaining problems.
It is fair to ask why we still have a walk-on and another slow guy playing the majority of snaps at safety in year 3, of course.  Even taking Catalon into account, that room should already have more talent at this stage (or we should be using one of our nickels at safety). The young recruits like Williams seem promising, but I wouldn’t argue if you say the position coaches in the secondary may need to feel some heat or be upgraded.  They really need to get the young guys ready to play by next year, or get some legit portal talent.  There is no reason to have slow guys in the secondary in year 4 of an otherwise successful recruiting program.

Chris Smith. 4th leading tackler for Georgia in 2022. Ran a fucking 4.62 40 at the combine. 2 time national championship Georgia. 4.62.

Jordan Battle, DeMarco Hellams were 4.555, 4.57 at the combine. Kyle Hamilton was 4.59, 4.32 shuttle. But compare Hamilton to Lewis Cine and his 4.37 40. Looks like one is starting and one has 0 tackles. Ed Reed, 4.57.

Jerrin had a 4.61 verified out of high school. Maybe he’s slower now. Maybe not. His shuttle time was 4.20. If you’ve got something verifiable, I’d be interested to see it. I just saw him with a reported 4.5 but maybe that’s trash.

The two fastest safeties at the combine last year were 7th and 5th round picks. I don’t even see one of them on the depth chart right now. Maybe we should replicate Illinois. They had two of the top 4 times. Iowa, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida x 2 all had dudes invited to the combine at 4.62 or slower. For the past two years, the fastest safeties come from all over. And not from top 10 or even top 25 programs. There are many a fast guy that fail at football

Schooler, Tyler Owens, Crawford. All fast as shit. People don’t like any of them. All on campus in the past 3 years.

We give up passing yards for a variety of reasons. Just like everyone else. Crawford hasn’t given up insane number of TDs in years past. He hasn’t even played substantial snaps as S until this year. I have no idea how fast Taafe is. He’s not Crawford fast. My guess is you don’t know exactly either.

Vs KSU. Watts got beat at least twice. Brooks may have screwed up/perhaps Williams for a TD. Blackwell was the party on the 4th and 6 conversion. 40 yards on screens. Probably 75 passing yards due to poor pash rush/lost contain.

Smith, Branch, Hamilton, Reed. All too slow to play for us. No idea how those slow ass guys got on the field for Bama and Georgia more than 4 years into their current regimes.

Yeah, we want Michael Huff (actually wasn’t very good as an underclassman) and Earl Thomas. But since we’ve had a small number of those over the years, I’m not expecting them here every year. I guess since Harrell threw for 475 and Leinart 365 in 2005 and 2008 it probably had everything to do with their other teammates.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Our coach is offense-oriented who calls plays so that would make sense on that side of the ball.

In our situation, it would be optimal if our DC could be hired first then collaborate with the HC to fill the staff. That didnt happen and we made do.

44 minutes ago, markstanco said:

It would be a MONSTER money whip if they did.  Like double up on his salary to 3.5+  

Not happening. 

Even if they did that, it's not like we couldn't match it if we truly wanted to keep him. He is a long term top flight DC, I imagine it is only a matter of time until he gets that top tier salary. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  The much weirder coaching trend line to me is on offense.  We are roughly the same each of the 3 seasons under Sark, regardless of whether we have Quinn Ewers looking like a 1st round pick and throwing to a loaded WR/TE corps with 5 stars on the OL … or whether we have Casey Thompson throwing to JAGs with no offensive tackles.  It’s weird.

I don’t recall being 8-1 under Sark in any of the previous years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Chris Smith. 4th leading tackler for Georgia in 2022. Ran a fucking 4.62 40 at the combine. 2 time national championship Georgia. 4.62.

Jordan Battle, DeMarco Hellams were 4.555, 4.57 at the combine. Kyle Hamilton was 4.59, 4.32 shuttle. But compare Hamilton to Lewis Cine and his 4.37 40. Looks like one is starting and one has 0 tackles. Ed Reed, 4.57.

Jerrin had a 4.61 verified out of high school. Maybe he’s slower now. Maybe not. His shuttle time was 4.20. If you’ve got something verifiable, I’d be interested to see it. I just saw him with a reported 4.5 but maybe that’s trash.

The two fastest safeties at the combine last year were 7th and 5th round picks. I don’t even see one of them on the depth chart right now. Maybe we should replicate Illinois. They had two of the top 4 times. Iowa, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida x 2 all had dudes invited to the combine at 4.62 or slower. For the past two years, the fastest safeties come from all over. And not from top 10 or even top 25 programs. There are many a fast guy that fail at football

Schooler, Tyler Owens, Crawford. All fast as shit. People don’t like any of them. All on campus in the past 3 years.

We give up passing yards for a variety of reasons. Just like everyone else. Crawford hasn’t given up insane number of TDs in years past. He hasn’t even played substantial snaps as S until this year. I have no idea how fast Taafe is. He’s not Crawford fast. My guess is you don’t know exactly either.

Vs KSU. Watts got beat at least twice. Brooks may have screwed up/perhaps Williams for a TD. Blackwell was the party on the 4th and 6 conversion. 40 yards on screens. Probably 75 passing yards due to poor pash rush/lost contain.

Smith, Branch, Hamilton, Reed. All too slow to play for us. No idea how those slow ass guys got on the field for Bama and Georgia more than 4 years into their current regimes.

Yeah, we want Michael Huff (actually wasn’t very good as an underclassman) and Earl Thomas. But since we’ve had a small number of those over the years, I’m not expecting them here every year. I guess since Harrell threw for 475 and Leinart 365 in 2005 and 2008 it probably had everything to do with their other teammates.

Not sure if I agree or disagree with all your points, but a great timely post.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nah, the consistency has gotten much better. You may not see the outlier 70 point performances but you also don't see scoring 7 against Iowa State or 3 offensive points against TCU.

We achieved something that has never been achieved in school history with our scoring this year.....that's awesome to see.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure if I agree or disagree with all your points, but a great timely post.

Every team, every situation, every scheme are a bit different. So when I compare Hamilton to Cine, there are reasons that can be a flawed comparison. What I can say is that lack of speed is not a deal breaker for Hamilton with his current team.

Pretty much every player has a fit that fits their skill set. The mental aspect of S is more difficult than CB. You take one false step or you delay for 0.3 then that 4.4 guy isn’t that fast anymore. There are probably only a small handful of plays that you’d ever be able to use make up speed.

There’s lot of discussion here about converting guys to S. It could work but maybe not. If you look at the NFL, the S converts that come to mind are aging CBs that were physical. Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Ronnie Lott(although he was younger). Given the history of the league, it’s a pretty short list to my knowledge.

There should be reasonable expectations that passes will be completed and TD passes given up. And for us, this year it is different players giving it up, different play calls, different failings.
  • Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The overall results have been very good, but it is frustrating to watch teams become 1 dimensional and still have success.

I have had this same thought. How can he be so good at taking away other teams' strength and then struggle against what should be their weakness? Holding KSU to 30 yards rushing should have been a blood bath and then Howard has a career passing day. PK struggles after he gets exactly what he wants.

6 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I have had this same thought. How can he be so good at taking away other teams' strength and then struggle against what should be their weakness? Holding KSU to 30 yards rushing should have been a blood bath and then Howard has a career passing day. PK struggles after he gets exactly what he wants.

A little context on that though, it was a career day on 41 attempts, with a 57 QBR, and having 16 possessions in regulations (vs the usual 11 or 12). 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

A little context on that though, it was a career day on 41 attempts, with a 57 QBR, and having 16 possessions in regulations (vs the usual 11 or 12). 

KSU didnt shred the Texas defense throwing the ball, but the 8 yards par attempt with just a 1 int was below expectations.  Howard has had 3 games  vs P5 were he threw 30+ attempts this season prior to the Texas game. He was 67-115 (58.2%), 686 yards, and 4 TDs, and 5 ints averaging 5.95 per att. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Looks like Blake Gideon really dropped the ball here 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per Nahlin this AM: PK is unlikely to entertain the USC job.

It will be interesting seeing what defensive coordinator is willing to hitch their wagon to usc and Lincoln Riley.  

Gotta believe trojans will talk with Jim Leonhard

21 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Brooks may have screwed up/perhaps Williams for a TD.

This was another communication breakdown. Brooks passed the post of to Williams. Williams thought 1 had declared. People can feel free to argue who was at fault, but the root of the Texas pass coverage issues are communication. They struggle vs Bunch and Switch concepts (even simple concepts). Some of those issues may be the large rotations that Texas has played. Akina used to talk about secondary needing to have a hive mind. That is clearly not the case right now. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

It will be interesting seeing what defensive coordinator is willing to hitch their wagon to usc and Lincoln Riley.  

Gotta believe trojans will talk with Jim Leonhard

Leonhard has to understand that his entire reputation will be on the line if he takes this job. Unless Lincoln understands that he needs to replace Bennie and restructure everything about how they practice with defense in mind,  it's gonna be the same thing over again. If you bring in a yes man and just ask him to be the 65th best defense in college that might be doable but Leonhard isn't aspiring for average if he wants to become a head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This was another communication breakdown. Brooks passed the post of to Williams. Williams thought 1 had declared. People can feel free to argue who was at fault, but the root of the Texas pass coverage issues are communication. They struggle vs Bunch and Switch concepts (even simple concepts). Some of those issues may be the large rotations that Texas has played. Akina used to talk about secondary needing to have a hive mind. That is clearly not the case right now. 

The busted coverages is probably my biggest concern. At least make the offense work. Going back to TCU last year, that’s 3 TDs on Brooks side of the field due to confusion. Think it’s 3 different S too. Rotations could be a part of it.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Feel free to try Lincoln. I'm sure PK wants to go do another total rebuild for a bunch of pissy impatient boosters. And working for a fucking snake that doesnt give a shit about defense and could bolt for a different job at any moment would totally be better than working with Sark. Also.....we have deep enough pockets to make this not an issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fico said:

Akina also didn't run a lot of zone. 

Texas runs a lot of cover 4 match, which uses a lot of man principles. Texas DBs seem to have issues counting to 2-3.. Lot of errors in assigning who is the #1 and who is the #2, etc. Too lazy to look, but I am sure someone can find examples. Simple example would be like a post/wheel concept. Outside WR runs a post (he is #1 at the snap) and the slot runs a wheel (he is #2 on snap).. WR#1 breaks inside - he becomes #2. The slot breaks outside, he becomes #1.. In this case the the safety would get the post in Man and the CB would get the wheel in man. Texas is screwing up passing off the WRs at least 3-5 times a game. Its also why condensed/bunch sets throw them off. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Scipio Tex with good comments at end regarding the defensive keys to game (21:30 mark)

• Handle run with 4 man front
  • Get the coverages cleaned up on passing off WRs for crossers and mesh routes. (Blames this on coaching) Players don't know who they are covering.
  • Stop blitzing Jahdae Barron and dropping Anthony Hill into coverage.  Not a good use of personnel.  
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Scipio Tex with good comments at end regarding the defensive keys to game (21:30 mark)

• Get the coverages cleaned up on passing off WRs for crossers and mesh routes. (Blames this on coaching) Players don't know who they are covering.
  • Stop blitzing Jahdae Barron and dropping Anthony Hill into coverage.  Not a good use of personnel.  

Needs to stop dropping the damn DE too.
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Texas runs a lot of cover 4 match, which uses a lot of man principles. Texas DBs seem to have issues counting to 2-3.. Lot of errors in assigning who is the #1 and who is the #2, etc. Too lazy to look, but I am sure someone can find examples. Simple example would be like a post/wheel concept. Outside WR runs a post (he is #1 at the snap) and the slot runs a wheel (he is #2 on snap).. WR#1 breaks inside - he becomes #2. The slot breaks outside, he becomes #1.. In this case the the safety would get the post in Man and the CB would get the wheel in man. Texas is screwing up passing off the WRs at least 3-5 times a game. Its also why condensed/bunch sets throw them off. 

giphy.gif

Definitely issues in scheme and pass coverages for the LBs and DBs.     

Thx Codaxx !!! 🤘

36 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

At 12:46 Scipio alludes that TCU had our offensive signals last year.    Mentions coaches, players thought the same.

• Rage+1 1

For those who want the pertinent text...

25 minutes ago, torre said:

At 12:46 Scipio alludes that TCU had our offensive signals last year.    Mentions coaches, players thought the same.

Now the Texas Offense versus the TCU defense.  This is a TCU defense that absolutely stifled Bijan Robinson, Roshan Johnson, & Quinn Ewers a year ago.  It's not the same defense though this year for the horn frogs that utterly destroyed us would be a nice way of putting what they did to us last year in Austin.  Making it relevant to broader news Bobby, there's a lot of belief on the Longhorn side that the TCU team had our signals and I mean the players believe that the coaching staff I think believes that and I think a lot of UT Personnel believe that. An interesting subplot in that story I think is a person associated with TCU was removed from the building a week or two before this game. I mean a lot of interesting stuff went on, but hey man all's fair and love in war I guess and if you're not cheating you're not trying so it's incumbent on Texas to change their signals and so hopefully they've done that we'll see..

1259600352_waitwhat.gif.b9f92efb88d8535e2f92849973fa711f.gif

1350628884_yesitis.gif.7b492d0e1b3fb501eb8770553b41f657.gif

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Like 2

I know this will go nowhere, but I’ll throw it out there anyway.

The crosser discussion regarding KSU is bullshit. Howard was 6-8 for 49 yards from 0-10 in the middle of the field. Yes, there was the TD. Outside of the hash to the right at 10+ yards, he was 5-6 for 108 and a TD. 2-2, 17 yards and a TD to the left. His 4 TD passes were to different sectors of the field, different routes. Any crosses hitting outside the opposite hash doesn’t really support getting more sacks because those aren’t immediate throws. I don’t recall those anyway.

The claim about more sacks because of better coverage is false too. That short crosser for the TD, watch it again. Bad coverage, but we weren’t sacking shit as all 4 rushers ran themselves out of the play.

There simply weren’t many crossing routes. Just watch the late 3rd and into the 4th. Our rush lanes were garbage. Howard most often escaped right. A big under appreciated play was the 3rd and 10 at 27-7. No pressure and in fact parted the middle of the field for the completion.

I’m not saying we can’t or don’t need to be better on that but the pass rush containment was more significant.

Our DEs (not including Hill) dropped into coverage 5 times. Barron rushed 5 times. Trying to surprise a veteran Oline is not surprising and really didn’t have a negative impact on our defense.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2