Lincoln Canceled in SF

Hookah Horns

The San Francisco board of education has unilaterally renamed 44 schools in its jurisdiction, including those 

“who engaged in the subjugation and enslavement of human beings; or who oppressed women, inhibiting societal progress; or whose actions led to genocide; or who otherwise significantly diminished the opportunities of those among us to the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

For the record, I'm strongly against all of those practices; I've been disgusted by the existence of Confederate statues, for example, from the first time I saw one (on the 40). 

But I simply can't understand how these people think it's reasonable to use hundreds of years of hindsight to condemn historical figures on the eminently subjective grounds of "inhibiting social progress." I also don't understand the notion that we shouldn't honor someone who accomplished legendary feats - that continue to inure to the benefit of our country or mankind at large - on account of some other alleged moral failing. 

Anyway, this school board is chock full of dumbass. Below are some of the historical figures or things canceled and their stated reasoning. 

Abraham Lincoln 

SmartSelect_20210129-060625_Drive.jpg.16325a724ea55970bed3a133c567935f.jpg

[The hanged Dakota were involved in the slaughter of 450 or so white settlers. Hundreds of natives were sentenced to death by a military commission, and Lincoln commuted most of those sentences and ordered them freed]. 

James Russell Lowell

SmartSelect_20210129-060724_Drive.jpg.74a91ceb5922aafd85e611a53df789b3.jpg

Thomas Edison

SmartSelect_20210129-062055_Sheets.jpg.bbc579679393dd11ed56a90486fac331.jpg

Paul Revere

SmartSelect_20210129-062132_Sheets.jpg.b878297436ef5d18364550fce51b5544.jpg

The Alamo

SmartSelect_20210129-062757_Sheets.jpg.0921fe2bb3738fa80c260464176860a6.jpg

Super solid cases here, especially the Alamo. 

This school board is fucking whacked out. The article quotes someone as saying this board's decision is like a caricature of what SF liberals do, and it's hard to argue with that. 

All that said, I don't really care that some schools in a far away school district are being renamed for dumbass reasons. We have plenty of other schools and things named for these people. No, what pisses me off is that crap like this accomplishes nothing of consequence other than giving Fox News and their ilk ammunition with which to rile up their base about the "radical left."

IMO the ancestry of each of these board members should be investigated and they should have to change their surname if the conduct of anyone in their lineage ever "inhibited social progress" or happened to harm someone of another ethnicity. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Remember the Lincoln!! 

Yeah, effective last month, the Continental has been discontinued.  Probably because how Lincoln ravaged the Continent, apparently.  

Also, to be fair to Edison electrocuting animals.  He did invent electricity before he electrocuted the animals.  You get a pass in history if you invent the thing first, like the U.S. and Hiroshima/Nagasaki.  There's not calls to take FDR and Truman's names off shit and they ordered the building of the thing, and then the dropping of the thing.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, effective last month, the Continental has been discontinued.  Probably because how Lincoln ravaged the Continent, apparently.  

Also, to be fair to Edison electrocuting animals.  He did invent electricity before he electrocuted the animals.  You get a pass in history if you invent the thing first, like the U.S. and Hiroshima/Nagasaki.  There's not calls to take FDR and Truman's names off shit and they ordered the building of the thing, and then the dropping of the thing.  

They actually did take FDR's name off a school. His just wasn't one of the more ridiculous explanations, given the whole internment camp thing. 

Yes yes the the People of San Failcisco never fail to be the most arrogant fart sniffers in the entire world. 

Ghandi was a complete and utter asshole, and may have liked diddling young girls.

Mother Teresa was a self aggrandizing, bitch. 

Jesus stormed, and sieged a religious temple, and preached sedition against the gov't.

Washington had false teeth that caused the death of a walrus, or a tree, and he caused the destruction of a precious wetland in Northern Va./southern Maryland to create an evil empire capitol. The fucking bastard !!

I could go on all day.... everyone is an asshole.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

All that said, I don't really care that some schools in a far away school district are being renamed for dumbass reasons. We have plenty of other schools and things named for these people. No, what pisses me off is that crap like this accomplishes nothing of consequence other than giving Fox News and their ilk ammunition with which to rile up their base about the "radical left."

Bingo.  This is a bunch of dumb nonsense that accomplishes nothing other than feeding right into the hands of right wing media.  I fully expect to get a group text from my sister to my family in the coming days showing what the radical leftists are doing to destroy history in San Francisco that I won't really be able to defend.

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait....the Continental was discontinued?  Damn, I actually liked the new one.  First Lincoln I've liked in decades.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Obligatory: 

tenor.gif

There's a point at which we have to recognize a persons contributions outweigh their detriments to society, and vice versa.  

I think the point tally on old Abe has been well settled for a while.  Freeing the slaves and holding the Union together is pretty strongly in the "pro" column, San Fran.

I'd give him a pass, but that's just me.......  but then there's that ugly Habeas Corpus bidnez'...   San Francisco needs to abolish itself. It was built on the back of virtual Chinese slave wage labor....

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Fox News and their ilk will rile up their base about the "radical left" no matter what the left the actually does.  

That said, this is fucking stupid.  And there are a trillion things to be more concerned about than this nonsense.  If we want to fake concern for California, maybe worry about their out of control Covid rate, before what its schools are named.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

Bingo.  This is a bunch of dumb nonsense that accomplishes nothing other than feeding right into the hands of right wing media.  I fully expect to get a group text from my sister to my family in the coming days showing what the radical leftists are doing to destroy history in San Francisco that I won't really be able to defend.

Tell her to mind her own business and worry about herself and her community.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wait....the Continental was discontinued?  Damn, I actually liked the new one.  First Lincoln I've liked in decades.

Yeah no it's not just some click bait fodder for news outlets. It's an example of a city that takes time to deal with really empty value, time consuming issues, but fails to deal with the issues that really plague a fucked up, and literally shit filled city.  It's the perfect example of liberal thinking...  empty actions that make them feel superior (SEE: fart sniffers).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2021 at 9:35 AM, lemonlime said:

Fox News and their ilk will rile up their base about the "radical left" no matter what the left the actually does.  

That said, this is fucking stupid.  And there are a trillion things to be more concerned about than this nonsense.  If we want to fake concern for California, maybe worry about their out of control Covid rate, before what its schools are named.

Yeah you could have stopped right there.  You had it right, but couldn't resist going retard.

Fuck you too Trauma Babe.  You have a nice delusional day now.....

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah no it's not just some click bait fodder for news outlets. It's an example of a city that takes time to deal with really empty value, time consuming issues, but fails to deal with the issues that really plague a fucked up, and literally shit filled city.  It's the perfect example of liberal thinking...  empty actions that make them feel superior (SEE: fart sniffers).

Do you live in SF or spend time in SF?

Serious question.

8 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Indeed, but in these ongoing information wars with relatives and friends addicted to fox news, I much prefer them not having remotely legit material about the big scary radical left. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

For someone who doesn't care about it, you sure started a whole thread about it, thus giving it life for the outrage-sphere. 

I explained pretty clearly what I do and don't care about in regard to this story, and why. Read more good next time maybe. 

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Indeed, but in these ongoing information wars with relatives and friends addicted to fox news, I much prefer them not having remotely legit material about the big scary radical left. 

It's not even remotely legit though, it is renaming fucking schools in a city and state that none of these outraged people live in. They could rename every school to "Giant Dildo Crushing The Sun" and I wouldn't care. This is the stupidest fake-outrage event I've seem in a long time, but I am glad it gave @Onboard 2.0 a CR safe-space to come in take shot at liberals and make fun of California. I'm sure it got him a full chub.

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, Hookah Horns said:

Don't concede that it is "legit material" because neither you nor them has any credibility to establish that.

We aren't there. It's not our business. It doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't mean anything.

It is nothing but a nosy woman peeking through the blinds and griping about the neighbors while her son jerks off in the bathroom to feet pics and daughter is getting knocked up in the garage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I much prefer them not having remotely legit material about the big scary radical left. 

I’m the opposite.  Scare the shit out of these people to the point the trivial stuff like renaming a school doesn’t bother them.  Open borders. Gun confiscation. Subsidies for abortion. White genocide. Full communism. Attack and dethrone god. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
/sarcasm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Don't concede that it is "legit material" because neither you nor them has any credibility to establish that.

We aren't there. It's not our business. It doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't mean anything.

It is nothing but a nosy woman peeking through the blinds and griping about the neighbors while her son jerks off in the bathroom to feet pics and daughter is getting knocked up in the garage.

Woah you said that last part like it's wrong. 

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So none of us should be concerned about what's going on with the far right until the proud boys and oath keepers get to our neighborhood? 

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

So none of us should be concerned about what's going on with the far right until the proud boys and oath keepers get to our neighborhood? 

I got banned from TexAgs, how the hell am I reading it here?

Be concerned about things that should concern you.

- Things that impact your life or your community.
- Things that hurt people.

This is neither. You're trying to sell a gossip issue as a real issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Obligatory: 

tenor.gif

There's a point at which we have to recognize a persons contributions outweigh their detriments to society, and vice versa.  

I think the point tally on old Abe has been well settled for a while.  Freeing the slaves and holding the Union together is pretty strongly in the "pro" column, San Fran.

This.

Two things are true:

1) we have many schools, military bases, and what have you, named after flaming assholes (confederate "heroes," indian killers, etc.).

2) every facility named after someone is named after someone who has both good and bad on their ledger.  Every human is shades of gray, all of our heroes have some darkness in their history.

For those who fall in category 1), dude, we named these facilities after assholes because we WANTED to be assholes and worship assholes.  Shit was named after confederates as part of a concerted effort to whitewash the Civil War and slavery, and often was done as a direct "F you, know your place" to local black populations.  Naming stuff after confederates was an asshole move, using assholes to do it, for asshole reasons.  Change that shit.

Naming stuff after other people who, on balance, led a meaningful and important life, EVEN IF some things in their life were less than savory (MLK was a philandering fuckhead), is fine.  If your standard is "only name it after people with no black marks on their ledger," then you've decided not to name anything after anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Seems like a weird purity test.  Particularly weird in the case of Presidents, imo, where there are tens of thousands of issues that their decisions will have a direct impact on.  Of course negatives will be found.  Was Lincoln a net benefit to the world? Obviously. Does it hurt my feelings that this school chooses not to honor him? It makes me wonder if Lincoln doesn't meet their standard, who does?

Obligatory: 

tenor.gif

I think you could make a pretty good argument that canceling Lincoln is racist.

42 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This. Why is this even a thread? 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

OK, so?

So honoring greatness inspires others to greatness.  So naming things after people reminds later generations of their history. So our world is more colorful than just a bunch of places names "Aspen Tree School" and "University of That Hill By the Highway"  

• Haha 1

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

So honoring greatness inspires others to greatness.  So naming things after people reminds later generations of their history. So our world is more colorful than just a bunch of places names "Aspen Tree School" and "University of That Hill By the Highway"  

There's much better ways to teach history.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

So honoring greatness inspires others to greatness. 

And not naming stuff after people eliminates "honoring greatness"?

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

So our world is more colorful than just a bunch of places names "Aspen Tree School" and "University of That Hill By the Highway"  

That's actually a lot more colorful than 5000 high schools named "Lincoln" or "Lee". It doesn't matter. You guys are just so wrapped up in gossip politics that you don't see how absolutely consequence-free this entire discussion is. It's pathetic to watch.

I have two degrees from a pretty awesome placed called "The University of Texas".

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

OK, so?

Oh, IDGAF.  I'm just observing the consequence of an absurd standard.

I don't care if you name every school "Elementary School Number [whatever]."  

I'm just observing that if you name anything -- a school, a fountain, whatever -- after any human being, you are necessarily naming it after someone who did some shitty stuff.  So, a standard of "we can't name anything after anyone who did any shitty stuff," yet still presumes we're going to name things after people, is stupid.

But, stupid is our national ethos.  It is our bedrock, from which we cannot stray.

• Hook 'Em 1

Obligatory: 

tenor.gif

welp, if we apply the same cancelculture rules to Lincoln as we did The Eyes, then hey hey ho ho honest Abe has got to go.... if you know your utah history....

- transcontinental telegraph completed at Great Salt Lake City 24 October 1861

- California 3rd Infantry arrives GSLC July 1862

- Bear River Massacre, 140mi northeast of GSLC, 250 western Shoshone slaughtered, 29 January 1963

did Lincoln order it?  no evidence

did the Shoshone do anything to deserve this? first answer, no; second answer, when the brethren are involved, everything is complicated.

porter rockwell was the "guide" and the Shoshone were deployed in defensive positions when the Cal.3rd arrived

++

there is no evidence Lincoln knew about the Navajo Long Walk(s) which began in late 1864, nevertheless it happened while he was busy trying to close out the war and get the 13th amendment passed.

++

up in Minnesota, in the Dakota War of 1862, Lincoln commuted the death sentence of 260ish of 300ish Dakotas sentenced to death in sham trials for the massacre of 300+ white settlers.   plus column or minus column?  push?

++

in California, following the gold rush, from 1850-1870, US anglos murdered at least 10000 native americans and enslaved another 20000.  the California Genocide started before Lincoln came in to power, kept going through the Civil War and after.  is his name attached to it?  not really.  under Cancel Culture rules does that matter?  not one iota.

++

bottom line if you are a Native American, you can look at *ANY* US President prior to Roosevelt and declare cancellation.