NCAA FOOTBALL IS BACK MFers

cdain3

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Childers was just on Full Ride carrying @immamac’s water and calling Arch Manning a selfish idiot who hasn’t done anything and should opt-in for “the good of the fans” and such. 

Why is it anyone’s business if a player opts out? Some guys have very legitimate reasons to avoid it, and $600 is meaningless to guys bringing in millions. 

After hearing for many years that Arch was just riding his last name to success and money from dickheads just like that, who gives even half a shit? No matter what Arch Manning does, there will always be some prick out there bitching up and down.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, it boggles the mind that people could actually be upset about this.

It's his business.  And there are multiple easy fixes if you want Arch Manning on your Dynasty Texas squad.

Talk about first world problems, good lord.

Unpopular opinion, but to me dynasty is WAY more fun in years 4 & onward when your team is all CPU generated recruits or ones you created. I never cared or even wanted to play with “real” players. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Childers was just on Full Ride carrying @immamac’s water and calling Arch Manning a selfish idiot who hasn’t done anything and should opt-in for “the good of the fans” and such. 

Why is it anyone’s business if a player opts out? Some guys have very legitimate reasons to avoid it, and $600 is meaningless to guys bringing in millions. 

I still think it's stupid to opt out, that doesn't mean I think anyone is selfish or whatever. It's just stupid. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.  Moron = a stupid person.

I think it lacks common sense in it's entirety to not opt-in to the single largest NIL deal of all time, for no effort, with extremely limited scope and an obvious pop culture implications. There is actually no (brand) drawbacks to doing it, but it's not like it's bad if you don't opt in. 

I strongly disagree with the monetary portion of this having anything to do with anything and it actually makes Arch seem more like a dick to say something like that vs just leaving it his own business. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, immamac said:

I still think it's stupid to opt out, that doesn't mean I think anyone is selfish or whatever. It's just stupid. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.  Moron = a stupid person.

I think it lacks common sense in it's entirety to not opt-in to the single largest NIL deal of all time, for no effort, with extremely limited scope and an obvious pop culture implications. There is actually no (brand) drawbacks to doing it, but it's not like it's bad if you don't opt in. 

I strongly disagree with the monetary portion of this having anything to do with anything and it actually makes Arch seem more like a dick to say something like that vs just leaving it his own business. 

I think it's incredibly savvy for a player like Manning, who is clearly in bitch eating crackers territory with people begging for his fame to become a cancer, to opt out when he's the backup QB. Opting in, with his spot light, just invites all sorts extra comparisons to Quinn. Imagine when the stats drop and the endless sports talk radio discussion it would generate. Imagine how irritating it'd be to see people tweet to the team account videos of themselves benching Quinn after he throws an int in real life or some shit for Arch. All for just $600. Manning already has the clout to make millions in NIL. He'd be stupid to give ammo to people looking for any in to tear the team apart and generate controversy for less than the price of an RTX 3080.

Plus saying shit like "Biggest NIL deal of all time" is really dumb when "all time" is 2 fucking years. The NIL is a goddamn toddler. $600 per player is only the "biggest of all time" because the NIL is still brand fucking new.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I think it's incredibly savvy for a player like Manning, who is clearly in bitch eating crackers territory with people begging for his fame to become a cancer, to opt out when he's the backup QB. Opting in, with his spot light, just invites all sorts extra comparisons to Quinn. Imagine when the stats drop and the endless sports talk radio discussion it would generate. Imagine how irritating it'd be to see people tweet to the team account videos of themselves benching Quinn after he throws an int in real life or some shit for Arch. All for just $600. Manning already has the clout to make millions in NIL. He'd be stupid to give ammo to people looking for any in to tear the team apart and generate controversy for less than the price of an RTX 3080.

I think it's unfair to speculate on the lack of opting in and deleted this portion of my post because honestly what does it matter if this is his reason or what his reason was. It shouldn't matter, he isn't opting out and doesn't need to justify not opting in. 

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's all because you are an idealist. Someone that opts in, or several of them, is going to be getting paid $600 to be on the cover, referenced and viewed repeatedly on social media, ESPN, commercials, etc. That is worth far more than $600 to Arch Manning. Agents for other big names could well be saying the same thing to their client. You are giving EA an absurd discount on your actual NIL value. There aren't many guys that can claim that, but Arch Manning can. He'd be a moron to opt-in unless the money is right. This isn't Soviet Russia and guys don't need to make idiotic sacrifices personally for some naive notion of collective player/people good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think it's unfair to speculate on the lack of opting in and deleted this portion of my post because honestly what does it matter if this is his reason or what his reason was. It shouldn't matter, he isn't opting out and doesn't need to justify not opting in. 

I agree, him not opting in isn't really a big deal. Except it is, because he's arch manning, and we're Texas, and it's not a conspiracy to say there are more people rooting for someone like him, on a team like ours, to fail, than basically anybody else in college football. For better or worse, he's got a spotlight on him that makes every normally no-brainer decision deserve pause and reflection. I think it's pretty damn mature of him, and I'd actually think that goes to the team of people around him.

7 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Plus saying shit like "Biggest NIL deal of all time" is really dumb when "all time" is 2 fucking years. The NIL is a goddamn toddler. $600 per player is only the "biggest of all time" because the NIL is still brand fucking new.

point me to another $6.6M one time payout NIL deal with over 11k participants that isn't this one any time in the next 5 years, or 10 years. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's all because you are an idealist. Someone that opts in, or several of them, is going to be getting paid $600 to be on the cover, referenced and viewed repeatedly on social media, ESPN, commercials, etc. That is worth far more than $600 to Arch Manning. Agents for other big names could well be saying the same thing to their client. You are giving EA an absurd discount on your actual NIL value. There aren't many guys that can claim that, but Arch Manning can. He'd be a moron to opt-in unless the money is right. This isn't Soviet Russia and guys don't need to make idiotic sacrifices personally for some naive notion of collective player/people good. 

Wonder if not giving his last name rights to EA to protect any trademarks or copyrights of “Manning” the family has was a factor?

1 minute ago, immamac said:

point me to another $6.6M one time payout NIL deal with over 11k participants that isn't this one any time in the next 5 years, or 10 years. 

There will be single players who will have much larger deals than $6.6M, it's a guarantee. Brony James is already close to that. Fuck, Arch is valued near that alone. The number of people involved means fuck all. And again, "all time" is 2 fucking years. Get over it.

Just now, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

There will be single players who will have much larger deals than $6.6M, it's a guarantee. Brony James is already close to that. Fuck, Arch is valued near that alone. The number of people involved means fuck all. And again, "all time" is 2 fucking years. Get over it.

lol what? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, immamac said:

lol what? 

I mean I guess its no wonder that's so hard for you to grasp considering your slack-jaw awe at a 2 year time frame. Here's a clue, though: A million dollars is honestly not a lot of money. $6.6 million is chump change for a project like College Football 24. Your audio recording budget for the game is larger than the player cut.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

Just now, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I mean I guess its no wonder that's so hard for you to grasp considering your slack-jaw awe at a 2 year time frame.

Arch is nowhere even close to 6M in one year NIL value. There has been no deal approaching this level of scale for any student athlete or group of student athletes. 

Your being dismissive of how big of a deal this is shows how little you understand about how any of this works. 

Just now, immamac said:

Arch is nowhere even close to 6M in one year NIL value. There has been no deal approaching this level of scale for any student athlete or group of student athletes. 

Your being dismissive of how big of a deal this is shows how little you understand about how any of this works. 

Again, your reading comprehension sucks. I never said Arch was close to $6M in NIL value. I said his collegiate value was estimated near that, as in all his NIL deals throughout his college career are estimate to approach that figure alone. Before the season started, he was getting valuations of upwhere near $3.5 million. Now, since you completely suck at reading, that is not to say he took $3.5 million in NIL money. That means that's what people with money were estimating he could earn if he went full whore and started tricking himself out like you're suggesting for $600 a pop.

And I definitely understand how game budgets work. How many titles have you shipped again?

Just now, immamac said:

and now a million dollars is not a lot of money. Gotta love it. 

My budget for an attraction at the toyota center that ran for 4 fucking months was quadruple that. $1 million is fucking nothing in gamedev.

yeah, I mean... you keep saying things that you think make you look right, but in the process you are making my point for me. There is no single NIL deal, executed all at once for this significant amount of money across every school and compliance organization in the FBS for more than 11,000 student athletes. It's an absolutely incredible undertaking and relative to the entire game budget it may not be a "whole lot of money", but in real terms for student athletes it's a huge deal.

It's a $600 baseline for every football player in the FBS. Do you know what the previous floor was? $0 do you know what most student athletes make in NIL? $0. 

I don't think that this has anything to do with the game budget. If you are arguing $600/player isn't the right amount from a budget perspective that's a different conversation entirely and definitely one worth having. If it would be more that would make this deal even more substantial though, furthering my point of it being incredibly meaningful and as a one time NIL deal very hard to compare to anything that has been done or attempted to be done. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Childers is a bitch who hates Texas and he doesnt try to hide it.  Cant believe any Texas fan listens. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Any chance Arch is holding out for a bigger payout here?

This is really a very simple thing that the media is going to take and run with for no other reason than it is the offseason. He has declared publicly, as has his agent and parents, that he won't do any NIL deals until he is the starting QB at Texas. Is he the starting QB at Texas? *checks notes* no. I respect the decision. It also does increase the desire to see him in the game, and I could see EA going after him next year with a more lucrative package if he decides to not opt in again. 

Besides, I anticipate that thousands of people are going to create a backup QB at Texas named Starch Tanning. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2024 at 10:24 PM, Zeus said:

This guy clearly doesn't know how video games work. Projects are generally segmented by studios. EA could shut down an entire studio and have it not affect other projects. He even said himself that other employees would be moved to other ongoing projects, meaning College Football could actually benefit from this by getting more manpower. I imagine the initial work of getting all of the minutia for each school loaded into the game is pretty overwhelming and can't really be solved by anything other than brute force. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

A $600 payment seems kind of lame, but I guess the exposure is part of the exchange. The only explanation I've seen from Arch is that he doesn't want to distract from the game (real football), which makes no sense, but it's his decision, and $600 isn't all that much. He also doesn't really need the recognition, his name provides that by itself. Seems like a silly thing to argue about.

I honestly don't know, do NFL players get individual payments from EA for Madden, or do teams license their entire rosters? Do NFL contracts give the teams some control over use of their status as members of the team? It's obviously not wholesale since most of the stars get millions from individual endorsements. Do the more popular players get paid more by EA or is it even across the board? I don't seem to recall any prior discussion about NFL players "opting out" of being in Madden.

Edited by 'stache

Just now, 'stache said:

A $600 payment seems kind of lame, but I guess the exposure is part of the exchange. The only explanation I've seen from Arch is that he doesn't want to distract from the game (real football), which makes no sense, but it's his decision, and $600 isn't all that much. He also doesn't really need the recognition, his name provides that by itself. Seems like a silly thing to argue about.

I honestly don't know, do NFL players get individual payments from EA for Madden, or does the team get to license its roster as part of their contracts paying the players millions of dollars each? Do the more popular players get paid more by EA or is it even across the board? I don't seem to recall any prior discussion about NFL players "opting out" of being in Madden.

It's negotiated by the NFLPA, it's closer to 30-35k per player, far fewer players. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I honestly don't know, do NFL players get individual payments from EA for Madden, or does the team get to license its roster as part of their contracts paying the players millions of dollars each? Do the more popular players get paid more by EA or is it even across the board? I don't seem to recall any prior discussion about NFL players "opting out" of being in Madden.

The NFLPA has the agreement with EA and they do pay all of their people for being in the game. The payouts are much larger, but not earth shattering. I have heard figures as high as 5-10K. Bearing in mind there are far fewer players and Madden has a much larger player base. And of course, there are players who receive more, particularly cover athletes. 

Edit: Immamac may have a better figure. I havent seen it in a while. 

Edited by Vertigo

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This is really a very simple thing that the media is going to take and run with for no other reason than it is the offseason. He has declared publicly, as has his agent and parents, that he won't do any NIL deals until he is the starting QB at Texas. Is he the starting QB at Texas? *checks notes* no. I respect the decision. It also does increase the desire to see him in the game, and I could see EA going after him next year with a more lucrative package if he decides to not opt in again. 

Besides, I anticipate that thousands of people are going to create a backup QB at Texas named Starch Tanning. 

I wouldn't lend much credence from here forward around the "no NIL until he is the starting QB" line. That simply isn't true moving forward and I am not speculating.

Nah, my guess is it's something similar to not taking NIL money until he's a starter. He will be in NCAA '26...or whatever tf they call it if the NCAA goes belly up.

Wonder if not giving his last name rights to EA to protect any trademarks or copyrights of “Manning” the family has was a factor?
I could be wrong, but I think this falls under the "won't be doing NIL deals until he's the starting QB" thing, and he does opt in for next year's game. In any case, does it really matter? He isn't the only opt out, just the only one anybody gives a shit about.

28 minutes ago, ousux said:
5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Nah, my guess is it's something similar to not taking NIL money until he's a starter. He will be in NCAA '26...or whatever tf they call it if the NCAA goes belly up.

21 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I could be wrong, but I think this falls under the "won't be doing NIL deals until he's the starting QB" thing, and he does opt in for next year's game. In any case, does it really matter? He isn't the only opt out, just the only one anybody gives a shit about.

Incorrect. Read the fucking thread. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Playing the dynasty mode and recruiting your own guys is where I normally found the most fun in this game, so I don’t really get why some of you take a guy deciding to not opt in so personal. Most of those guys are gone by year 3-4 in that mode anyway.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Unpopular opinion, but to me dynasty is WAY more fun in years 4 & onward when your team is all CPU generated recruits or ones you created. I never cared or even wanted to play with “real” players. 

I figured just about everybody else thought this way about the game too, which is why I was pissed when it went away since I didn't give a shit about having real players in the game back then, and I still don't. The players can do what they want, I'm just going to cut them in favor of my 6'9 recruits with 4.16 speed anyway.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Also, if you really don’t want controversy or attention, why be the one player that opts out instead of being 1 of the 10,000+ that have opted in? No one would’ve batted an eye

It was mentioned upthread and long before that he doesnt want any NIL until he is the starter.  

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Fuck that. I'm creating Vince Young. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, immamac said:

he knows he’ll be in a different uniform, very soon