Bourbon

Jimbaround

6 hours ago, Eggo said:

How are you feeling besides taste? Is it getting worse? Do you have a beneficiary picked for your liquor? 

Unlucky for you, the taste buds have been back for about 24 hours, they seem to fade in and out. I'm gonna pick one of the "in" stages and just assume that's my body telling me it's time for whiskey.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Rebel Distiller’s Collection tonight. I’m pretty excited about this one. 

Are those age stated or just poor man’s RY10 year which is already a single barrel and relatively easy to find at Spec’s for $55?

10 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Are those age stated or just poor man’s RY10 year which is already a single barrel and relatively easy to find at Spec’s for $55?

$36. There’s a barrel filled date in June 2015. No dump date. It is a single barrel. 113 proof. 

If it’s better than Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength, I’ll be happy. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

$36. There’s a barrel filled date in June 2015. No dump date. It is a single barrel. 113 proof. 

5 yr Heaven Hill wheated?  Pretty sure that will just taste like larceny.  Good luck.  

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

i have had 3 pours of the rebel and 2 of the ezra and each glass has been better than the last. great value for sure. 

scooped this today. wally’s sm store pick. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ad0583f35b584bbc9f32c7191c7d4e33.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Rebel Distiller’s Collection tonight. I’m pretty excited about this one. 

I wasn't really a fan at first, but it's grown on me somewhat in later tastings.  I get quite a bit of cinnamon up front, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's also a note of funk in there that isn't my favorite.  YMMV.    

19 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Been eyeing the Bardstown Discovery # 3 for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Gets a lot of great reviews. $119 plus tax at Spec’s

584b068e88dcd4d1fd42cc7cc117aeab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great fucking bottle. The Discovery series is now an auto-buy for me, even at ~$120. I have a bunkered bottle of Series 2 and Series 3, and a Series 4 bottle en route from an out of town contact that found it while hunting in Illinois. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, RichUT said:

Great fucking bottle. The Discovery series is now an auto-buy for me, even at ~$120. I have a bunkered bottle of Series 2 and Series 3, and a Series 4 bottle en route from an out of town contact that found it while hunting in Illinois. 

i have #2 and the prisoner.  i guess i'll pick up #3 and #4 whenever (or if ever) i see them.

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it’s kept me from ever pulling the trigger. 

I get it, up to a certain point. I assume they were trying to find a way to stand out on shelves that have become increasingly competitive. I don't love the bottle, but the SiB Rye I have is absolutely delicious, so I'm not about to deny myself that experience because I don't care for their marketing. For comparison's sake, I would rate it above the Willet 4 year and probably above the EHT Straight Rye as well. 

I thought the BiB Bourbon was meh, so I'm hoping that the SiB Bourbon has something in common the SiB Rye. 

Of the 4 bottles pictured above, I'm only keeping one. A few buddies wanted to check out their stuff so I had my friend send down extras for them.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:14 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Been eyeing the Bardstown Discovery # 3 for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Gets a lot of great reviews. $119 plus tax at Spec’s

584b068e88dcd4d1fd42cc7cc117aeab.jpg

a6f23b3955f1c76909d5a05077b60d81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mashbills sync with:

Barton (guessing 1792)

Brown-Forman (guessing Old Forrester)

Beam (Guess Knob Creek)

in that order

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Man the New Riff bottle sure is offputting looking like bad you know?
People don't like the bottle? That's interesting, I live very close to new riff, have done a private barrel pick there, etc and haven't heard that before, honestly only heard the opposite that everyone loves the bottle designs. Suppose that is a hometown bias.

Like what was said above, the single barrel rye is great, sib bourbon can be fantastic depending on pick, and balboa rye is also great. They do good things for the whiskey being young and they've spared no expense with equipment, process, and aging.

so i just received an email from k&l alerting me that i have made it onto their end-of-year lottery list. 

i have until next wed to rank the bottles from the list they supplied.  the list has ~150 bottles on it, and i assume they have multiples of a lot of them.  they range in price from $29 to $3k+.  apparently you just submit your list, and sometime between the 20th and 27th, the card you have on file gets dinged, and you purchased the bottle.  pretty much every bottle imaginable is on the list.

this is going to take some time.  we are way beyond birthdays now.

Frame Found on Twitter: "Harrison Ford and Greg Germann in Clear and Present  Danger (1994)… "

any advice, sarcastic or otherwise, is welcome.

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so i just received an email from k&l alerting me that i have made it onto their end-of-year lottery list. 

i have until next wed to rank the bottles from the list they supplied.  the list has ~150 bottles on it, and i assume they have multiples of a lot of them.  they range in price from $29 to $3k+.  apparently you just submit your list, and sometime between the 20th and 27th, the card you have on file gets dinged, and you purchased the bottle.  pretty much every bottle imaginable is on the list.

this is going to take some time.  we are way beyond birthdays now.

Frame Found on Twitter: "Harrison Ford and Greg Germann in Clear and Present  Danger (1994)… "

any advice, sarcastic or otherwise, is welcome.

This years BTAC line is spectacular.    Especially the THH and the WLW.  

Went by my favorite store today that  pretty regularly will have ER for $31 behind the counter and was informed that they are now doing a weekly drawings for all allocated items.  Thought oh well that was fun while it lasted.  Later I stopped by a little store that usually doesn’t have any allocated stuff but thought I’d take a look.  I was waiting in line with some Buffalo Trace and the manager walked by and said “Hey BT...I’ve got ER in the back if your interested.”   Why yes I’m interested. Thank you Sir!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1