Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

OF 1920 just happened to be on my mind. I forget what it costs. I also would put the Michters in the same league as HW American Prairie. Maybe the AP is even cheaper.

Couple of things about me though. I'm a cheap skate and I'm very satisfied with bourbons like AP and the basic Weller or the 107 or W12 when I can find them. OF 1920 is about as expensive a bourbon as I will buy at the store. Larceny is becoming a new favorite as well.

Regular Michters or Michters 10? 

NASA Liquor has a barrel/store pick of High West American Prairie that looks pretty interesting. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnuGINXHROv/?hl=en&taken-by=nasaliquor

Just now, Chewbacca said:
8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
NASA Liquor has a barrel/store pick of High West American Prairie that looks pretty interesting. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnuGINXHROv/?hl=en&taken-by=nasaliquor

I see that high west stuff everywhere. Is it any good?

I'm waiting until I can find a store pick. High West almost always puts out a  quality product. I'd imagine it's at least decent. 

Son of Bourye was one of my favorite sub $40 options. As brown water mentioned above, it's currently out of production. Just as good as Bourye and half the price. 

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

We go to a cabin in a little town in upstate new york every fall. Stopped in said town’s liquor store, and scored these for $59 and $35 (would have been $75-$100 and $40 in NYC). They also had 2 bottles of Stagg Jr. for $59 that I passed on. Think I may go back and grab one.

f8e07caa44a169ff3210005b185a496a.jpg

Decent prices on both. Blanton's is always about 60 buck down here. Eagle Rare 10 is usually high $20s. 

I'd pick up that bottle of Stagg Jr and decant it for 3 weeks to a month. Thank me later. 

Decent prices on both. Blanton's is always about 60 buck down here. Eagle Rare 10 is usually high $20s. 
I'd pick up that bottle of Stagg Jr and decant it for 3 weeks to a month. Thank me later. 

Damn, high $20s for ER? I might drink nothing else if that were the case for me. It’s plentiful up here, but I never see it below $39 in the city.

20 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Damn, high $20s for ER? I might drink nothing else if that were the case for me. It’s plentiful up here, but I never see it below $39 in the city.

I'd stock up. Getting hard-ish is find down here. I had to beg my Spec's guy for one bottle. Not a store pick, and not a handle. 

Handles of Eagle Rare and store picks are automatic buys for me, but it's gotten to the point now where I'll just buy it if I see it. 

4 hours ago, USCATX said:

If you haven’t tried the Belle Meade Cask Strength for $55-ish you’re missing out.  It’s like a slightly hotter EHT Single Barrel only easier to find and typically cheaper.  Lots of  Spec’s have it around Austin.  

I bought a bottle of it, but I haven't tried it yet. I have high hopes for it as an easy to find Stagg Jr alternative. 

Belle Meade is really underrated probably because they source. I wish they'd focus on aging instead of cute barrel finishes. Their 11 year single barrel is fantastic. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I bought a bottle of it, but I haven't tried it yet. I have high hopes for it as an easy to find Stagg Jr alternative. 

Belle Meade is really underrated probably because they source. I wish they'd focus on aging instead of cute barrel finishes. Their 11 year single barrel is fantastic. 

I haven’t tried any of their finished options because I like bourbon that tastes like bourbon.  A side by side of Jr and the Belle Meade would be interesting, but pretty sure the Belle would win for me.  

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd stock up. Getting hard-ish is find down here. I had to beg my Spec's guy for one bottle. Not a store pick, and not a handle. 

Handles of Eagle Rare and store picks are automatic buys for me, but it's gotten to the point now where I'll just buy it if I see it. 

Liquor stores in Norcal are making end caps with cases and cases of it, the demand is high in Texas and the south only on the west coast ER and Blanton's sits on the shelf

28 minutes ago, Smax said:

Liquor stores in Norcal are making end caps with cases and cases of it, the demand is high in Texas and the south only on the west coast ER and Blanton's sits on the shelf

I can find it for $31.99 routinely in Austin, but it’s not easy.  In North Carolina it’s like Beam white label.  

I haven't seen a handle of ER10 in probably 6 months.

I was talking about the regular Michters. The 10 year is too much $$$. I will try the barrel select of the AW AP if it's under $45. The regular AP is one of my favorites.

18 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I just cant respect a “distillery” if they dont distill their own damn distillate

Are you referring to High West or Kentucky Owl?

Because HW does distill.  It's blended with MGP (and Barton for some).  And KO isn't a distillery.  But I do believe they will be before too long.

All that aside, they both put out really great products.  I'll take a great product over a distillery that cranks out meh whiskey.

18 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I just cant respect a “distillery” if they dont distill their own damn distillate

I get where you are coming from, but it isn't realistic. There are only a handful of distilleries that distill their own product and are good at it. Hell, before 2000, there were only 10-15 licened distilleries in the US. The same ones that are actually good at distilling bourbon, because they've been doing it a couple hundred years. 

Barton 1792 Distillery (Sazerac Co.)

Shively - (Brown Forman)

Woodford Reserve - (Brown Forman)

Jack Daniels -(Brown Forman)

Buffalo Trace (Sazerac Co.)

Four Roses (Kirin)

Heaven Hill

Jim Beam (Beam Suntory)

Maker's Mark (Beam Suntory)

Wild Turkey

MGP (Midwest Grain Products)

Newer Ones

Michters's (opened in 2015, all Bourbon still sourced)

Willett (opened in 2012, mostly still sourced)

New Riff (mostly still sourced)

Smooth Ambler (mostly still sourced)

Boone County (sourced)

Kentucky Owl (sourced)

TX

Balcones

Garrison Brothers

etc

etc. 

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

That's a bit of a stretch.  Not common to find Blanton's.

I spent about 8 months in norcal, Santa Rosa/Healdsberg/Napa and there were multiple bottles on the shelves every time I looked.

All Olivers Markets in the SR area have  2 bottles on the shelf and the rest they keep in the back, if by chance they are out give it a few days. Costco always had it and Pohleys Market in Windsor had a few cases when I was there back in August.  The bottle barn in SR has an end cap set up with a dozen or so cases of ER right now

Lawlers liquor in napa has both but charges a premium for blantons

Anyone in Houston want to trade for a 2018 Michter's 10? I ended up with two bottles, and I only want one. Send me a pm if interested.

I will be in Houston in December and would love to make a trade if you don’t do so beforehand. If you’re open to outside Houston now, let’s talk

5 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Anyone in Houston want to trade for a 2018 Michter's 10? I ended up with two bottles, and I only want one. Send me a pm if interested.

Same here brother. The liquor chain store that shall remained unspoken surprised the heck out of me and called twice. 

It's amazing, I splurge on one bottle of Kentucky Owl Bourbon, and they decide to treat me with some respect. 

If you haven’t tried the Belle Meade Cask Strength for $55-ish you’re missing out.  It’s like a slightly hotter EHT Single Barrel only easier to find and typically cheaper.  Lots of  Spec’s have it around Austin.  

Belle Meade is damn tasty. I’ll have to look out for that.

Happy Halloween #poormanspappy

888e2c7d7488eb5c4ca1818211537ea7.jpg

2 hours ago, huge said:

Just bought the last 4 OF 1910 off the shelf at Wirt Specs. Will report back.

They aren’t all for me in case any shelf nazis wanna bite it

We live in a capitalist society, if you want to buy all the bottles and pour them into a bird bath to watch birds get hammered, live your life. 

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I bought a special store pick for a buddy’s wedding and it didn’t make it through the night. So yeah pretty good.

Isn't that stuff all 2 years old?  That's why I don't buy Colorado whiskeys.  They don't age long enough to mellow out.  Has High West cracked the quick aging code?

OF 1910 is like ETL on steroids.

93 proof and drinks like 80.

Very good character but almost no bite.

You proof hounds might be disappointed.

I think it’s excellent for what they were trying to achieve.

Think I’ll have another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, huge said:

OF 1910 is like ETL on steroids.

93 proof and drinks like 80.

Very good character but almost no bite.

You proof hounds might be disappointed.

I think it’s excellent for what they were trying to achieve.

Think I’ll have another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elmer T. Lee on steroids? Surely, you can't be serious.