Bourbon

Jimbaround

I had no idea tabasco was aged.  From wiki, this sounds like an odd process, but I like the sauce so whatever.

Peppers are ground into a mash on the day of harvest and placed along with salt in white oak barrels (aging barrels previously used for Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey[11]). To prepare the barrel, the inside of the barrel is de-charred (top layer of wood is removed), torched, and cleaned, to minimize the presence of any residual whiskey. The barrels are then used in warehouses on Avery Island for aging the mash.

Actually that feels like about fair value for me. Equal quality weighted for scarcity.

Speaking of which-
Here’s what I’ve got available for barter at the moment. These are not up for sale or available to anyone who does not regularly post on this thread.

1.75 W12
1.75 Weller Antique
ETL
Rock Hill Farms
MWND
RY10
Stagg 17

Looking for
OFBB18
WLW18
Old Fitz (11 or 9)
McKenna 10*

*Im still skeptical about anything that says McKenna. McKenna is for broke dudes who are sorta in between places/jobs/chicks right now. So you aren’t getting a lot for your McKenna 10 on a stand-alone basis, but I do want to try it and it could sweeten the pot on a bigger deal.

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Actually that feels like about fair value for me. Equal quality weighted for scarcity.

Speaking of which-
Here’s what I’ve got available for barter at the moment. These are not up for sale or available to anyone who does not regularly post on this thread.

1.75 W12
1.75 Weller Antique
ETL
Rock Hill Farms
MWND
RY10
Stagg 17

Looking for
OFBB18
WLW18
Old Fitz (11 or 9)
McKenna 10*

*Im still skeptical about anything that says McKenna. McKenna is for broke dudes who are sorta in between places/jobs/chicks right now. So you aren’t getting a lot for your McKenna 10 on a stand-alone basis, but I do want to try it and it could sweeten the pot on a bigger deal.

What would you consider equal value for Old Rip and Handy? 

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of which-

1.75 W12
1.75 Weller Antique
ETL
Rock Hill Farms
MWND
RY10
Stagg 17

Looking for
OFBB18
WLW18
Old Fitz (11 or 9)
McKenna 10*

The McKenna 10yr BiB is a sublime daily drinker.  So damn good.

The store that shall not be named also has Kentucky Owl Rye and Bourbon at MSRP. Bring your checkbook mortgage. 

Off topic, but it's getting increasingly difficult to buy beer there. They were the first to run out of Shiner Cheer and St. Arnold's Christmas Ale. I think the Kroger on 11th might have one of the better craft beer selections in Houston. The first pace I've seen to stock Greater Heights, Eureka, Town in the City, and Platypus. 

Platypus is great.I'd skip the food, but it's an excellent brewery. 

4 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

The McKenna 10yr BiB is a sublime daily drinker.  So damn good.

I know I'm talking 2 years in the past, but Eagle Rare 10 blows it out of the water in the daily drinker category. 

I found an ER10 Store Pick while cleaning up around the house today. It felt like I found a gold bar. Silly I know, but they didn't do store picks in 2018.

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I may have an opportunity to buy some George T Stagg. It will almost certainly be priced above msrp. How much is too much for one of those?

I'd be willing to go $200 on WLW, maybe $250 on ER17.  Probably $200 on Stagg too. How much is too much is up to you, but the readily available secondary market shit is at least 2x that and stupid.  

• Like 1

I'd be willing to go $200 on WLW, maybe $250 on ER17.  Probably $200 on Stagg too. How much is too much is up to you, but the readily available secondary market shit is at least 2x that and stupid.  
Thanks. This is what i was getting at. Don't want to pay stupid money, but willing to pay some extra to get a special bottle.

53 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Same for me. I have yet to pay under $100 for any of the above. Over $200 is a bit much.

UFO in Baytown has Stagg for $499 and some liquor store around reliant park for $549.00. I laughed at this, but they both said they will sale it for the price.

23 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Same for me. I have yet to pay under $100 for any of the above. Over $200 is a bit much.

UFO in Baytown has Stagg for $499 and some liquor store around reliant park for $549.00. I laughed at this, but they both said they will sale it for the price.

Pretty, pretty sound reasoning. Especially in the Kentucky Owl World we happen to live in. 

On 12/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, USCATX said:

Daaaamn.  How much were the pours?

Somehow I forgot to reply to this, and have missed a boatload of the thread.  

Seems like it’s a tricky deal, but one that could be worth it if taken in context.  

$200 for a .5 oz/ flight of the 10, 12, 15 and 20.   

Then you can add a 1/2 oz of the 23 or rye for addt’l $75.  Subsidizing the costs of the older stuff with the younger, but easier than finding in the wild 

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Seems like it’s a tricky deal, but one that could be worth it if taken in context.  

Then you can add a 1/2 oz of the 23 or rye for addt’l $75.  Subsidizing the costs of the older stuff with the younger, but easier than finding in the wild 

Ouch.  I like to pay secondary or less for rare whiskey in bars.  That’s 50% over.   

I know I'm talking 2 years in the past, but Eagle Rare 10 blows it out of the water in the daily drinker category. 

I found an ER10 Store Pick while cleaning up around the house today. It felt like I found a gold bar. Silly I know, but they didn't do store picks in 2018.

Funny you should mention that- I just gave a 2016 ER10 store pick from the Austin place we do not talk about to my co-worker for Christmas.

When there’s something good like that I tend to buy a few and hold them for future gifts.

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by Twin yesterday to grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace and was surprised with their single barrel store pick version for the regular price.  I'll probably pick up a couple more bottles today.

Grabbed a couple more bottles today.  I drink BT on the regular, so having a single barrel version is just a bonus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

That price is outrageous

At The Aviary (one of the most expensive cocktail bars in the US), a flight of one ounce pours of the 10, 12, 15, 20, 23, and Rye is $160

Def worth it if you havent tried em