Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 minutes ago, mackavelli said:
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Nice haul. I see those handles. 
I think I'll pass on Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream in the future. It's good for an occasional root beer float, but I can't think of another instance where I'd drink it. 

It's my new coffee creamer...

You can do that with it too.

My bourbon guy called me in tonight for his new haul. Nothing spectacular at all... But he had a bottle with which I was unfamiliar, which caught me off guard

Wild turkey rare breed barrel proof

Anyone got thoughts? He has it marked up over msrp at $59, but he always lets me negotiate. BB.com says msrp is $35, so I was planning to let it go and say we are too far apart at our anchors... plus BB doesn’t have a great review

All that said, looking for Surly thoughts first and foremost

3 hours ago, mbpcb said:

My bourbon guy called me in tonight for his new haul. Nothing spectacular at all... But he had a bottle with which I was unfamiliar, which caught me off guard

Anyone got thoughts? He has it marked up over msrp at $59, but he always lets me negotiate. BB.com says msrp is $35, so I was planning to let it go and say we are too far apart at our anchors... plus BB doesn’t have a great review

I've had samples from a few releases, one was OK to good and the other was about the worst bourbon I've tasted. 

So I wouldn't feel bad about passing at that price at all. I do pass at msrp too though

4 hours ago, mbpcb said:

Nobody should pay $59 for that, ever.  At that price find a good RR Single Barrel store pick.  

Nobody should pay $59 for that, ever.  At that price find a good RR Single Barrel store pick.  

Ha, I already have one of those. Thanks for feedback guys. Like I said, I was just caught off guard bc I thought they stopped releasing these a decade ago. Had no idea there were new versions so had no concept on whether it was a good purchase.

It’s from Oak Liquor Cabinet. Does not state a barrel number. It has a small hint of spice, but a very mellow taste. It doesn’t have a full body, but it’s pretty well balanced, not bad considering. I’d rather drink Eagle Rare but I can tell it’s from the same mold. 

Eagle Rare is the same mashbill as Buffalo Trace, just aged longer.

I have a terrible cold, so I didn't want to drink anything too expensive or rare. While going through my stash, I discovered I'm down to two handles and three store picks of ER10. Strange times indeed. I'm just going to ask if they have any in the back every time I'm in a store. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Trying High West Double Rye for the first time right now. Pretty decent rye. Has a nice herbal flavor with just enough spice and almost no burn. Not my favorite profile, but a decent addition to the collection at ~$40 a bottle. 

That is my favorite rye for cocktails. Like absolute favorite I only use in cocktails for wife, myself and closest friends. Others get bulleit.

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That's what I've heard too. Haven't seen it on the shelves anywhere, but I'll grab a bottle when I do.

I don't think it's widely available in Texas. 

If you're in the area, Pogo's in Dallas appears to have it in stock. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 hours ago, huge said:

Can anyone recommend a place to buy bourbon in LA/Hollywood and not get completely fleeced?

Specifically in the Hollywood area?  I know people who talk about and recommend K&L Wine Merchants, but I've never shopped there so can't vouch for it personally.  Supposedly the selection there is excellent.  But I'm not sure what their prices are like.  

9 hours ago, huge said:

Can anyone recommend a place to buy bourbon in LA/Hollywood and not get completely fleeced?

I was in LA a few months ago, and was fucking shocked at the prices.  I ended up buying a bottle of Makers to tide me over, but it was probably 50% more than Dallas across the board.  And the real nice stuff was ridiculous.  I didn’t shop multiple stores, andI don’t recall the name of the store  (somewhere around La Cienaga and Wilshire), but I’m bringing my own next time.

7 hours ago, texanbychoice said:

I’m out here getting that bread.

96a6e44ddd5bf8a987ba2677e023fdd1.jpg

Please respect my decision.

#blessed

Wow, what a Christmas! As I have not tasted the 30 Bookers, and I have both the Rip and the Stagg in my bar. How would you rate those three bottles from best to almost best (worst didn’t seem appropriate)?

Had a tasting last night with some friends and got to try the 2017 and 2018 GTS side by side. 2017 was vastly superior. 2018 is only 2% less alcohol, but tasted much much sweeter and very little burn. Maybe the bottle needs to open up because it was new, but man that was disappointing vs 2017.

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Had a tasting last night with some friends and got to try the 2017 and 2018 GTS side by side. 2017 was vastly superior. 2018 is only 2% less alcohol, but tasted much much sweeter and very little burn. Maybe the bottle needs to open up because it was new, but man that was disappointing vs 2017.

Pretty much anything is disappointing versus the 2017 Stagg. Most likely the best bourbon of 2017. Iv'e turned down Lot B and others for the two that I have.

• Like 1