The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I used "you" there where "one" would have been better. I didn't mean you specifically. Tone. 

I think there are lots of legitimate conservative talking points to be made. As a party, the GOP is making none of those points, and almost universally the people who come in to the CR and find themselves being clowned are coming in with clown points rather than conservative points. I felt like you were very close to making that connection in your post and that is why I felt compelled to go ahead and draw the line from A to B. Apologies for tone.

I believe it would be enormously good if we lived in a world where people could make substantive arguments with one another about GOP positions vs dem/leftist/librul/etc positions. As a result of the positions that the GOP has decided to take, that is not the world we live in and it is not possible to do that. I think generally most CR posters agree with that.

There’s a big difference between supporting a view that is shared by Lauren Boebert and supporting that stupid whore. That distinction short circuits the CR mainstays. The GOP has such bad messengers that all messages are being shot down.  

It is amazing that the Dems cannot capitalize on this dearth of quality GOP leadership, and we may have this assclown back in the Oval Office, because Biden, while not a tyrannical insurrectionist assclown, is a totally incompetent assclown. I’m not equating the two like many do. One is clearly worse. If Dems were smart they’d replace Biden, because he will lose. 

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

There’s a big difference between supporting a view that is shared by Lauren Boebert and supporting that stupid whore. That distinction short circuits the CR mainstays. The GOP has such bad messengers that all messages are being shot down.  

It is amazing that the Dems cannot capitalize on this dearth of quality GOP leadership, and we may have this assclown back in the Oval Office, because Biden, while not a tyrannical insurrectionist assclown, is a totally incompetent assclown. I’m not equating the two like many do. One is clearly worse. If Dems were smart they’d replace Biden, because he will lose. 

But what view does Lauren Boebert share that is worthy of serious discussion?  Or anyone currently on the right?

• Hook 'Em 5

Yeah, most of his post made some modicum of sense.  But when you open with "supporting a view that is shared by Lauren Boebert", you kinda lose what shred of political dignity you may have left.  I mean, I get that some of us have to cozy up to some Republicans now and again for the sake of work in the energy space, but Lauren Boebert?  I mean, I'd rather get a handjob from a Wayne Christian.  At least I know he's worked a pumpjack or two.  

Wait, what were we talking about? 

41 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Boebert is a clown because of her views, not because she gives handjobs at Beetlejuice.  That’s the short circuit - it seems like you think if you take off the clown makeup, the seltzer and little car full of people and pies and shit is all respectable non-clown stuff. It is not.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Your first paragraph was obvious yet had a strange authoritative tone. I probably misread the tone, but it was still obvious.  Not every conservative talking point is a clown point. That should also be obvious. 

Again, I know nothing about bern. 

So called "conservatives" in the US Congress are about to let the government shut down because their too busy conducting impeachment hearings with zero evidence. I just love the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" characterization. A former president with 91 indictments, a judicial finding of fraud, and who lies incessantly about things that are easily disproven. Conservatives just today submitted altered evidence at a hearing and had to be called out on it, and no "conservatives" are out there calling any of this out or forcing their own party to act sane for at least a fucking second to keep the government running. Sounds a lot more like "Biden Derangement Syndrome" to me and anyone using their actual brain.

Serious question though, if "conservatives" really have valid points, why are they wasting time kissing trumps ass and holding impeachment hearings in which zero credible evidence has been submitted?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Serious question though, if "conservatives" really have valid points, why are they wasting time kissing trumps ass and holding impeachment hearings in which zero credible evidence has been submitted?

Apparently you missed the Republican Presidential debate last night.  It was a solid two hours of respectful, reasoned discussion of the nuances of conservative ideals by seven of the most erudite members of the GOP!  There were fireworks galore, I must say!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Why would you watch that unless your just want to be outraged? Did you learn anything from it? Did it change your mind about anything? Was there even a .000000000000001 percent chance it would?

Well, a few might be looking for signs of sanity from the Republican Party.  Tall order these days.

If you are able to suspend for a few moments the gravity of what it means for the continued existence of the United States of America, I'm sure it was full of lulz.

• Hook 'Em 2

My cousin couldn't believe that I spent 90 minutes last night watching the Republican Debate.  Even though she regularly spends tens and tens of hours to attend Trump rallies.  I watch the debates for the same reason I read the Atlantic, National Review, Mother Jones, Bill Kristol, George Will, the WSJ, Bloomberg, CNN, and ABC news.  Because I live in a serious world with serious people.  Intaking Fox News and facebook feeds from "friends & family" with the critical thinking skills of Nintendo's Luigi entitles you to a political opinion.  One you can even express on Surly.  But it also entitles me to laugh my fucking ass off.  If you're onboarding serious journalism and opinion formatting, then you have my attention.  Everything else is just noise.  

"But most of us have families and jobs, we don't have time for all that, Lobo!"  If you have time to buy Trump merch and watch his inane ramblings on youtube, you can pickup a proper fucking newspaper and learn a thing or two.  

I attend AEI and TPPF conferences along with TribFest and TrumanProject events on the other side.  Not because I'm an academic or rich, but because I give two shits.  I watch GOP debates to see glimmers of hope, the way I watch comedies with my sister with Down's Syndrome.  Eventually, there's a light that clicks on and it gives you hope that maybe there are people doomed by nature to be slow like her.  But at least she didn't voluntarily choose to be.  Come, let us celebrate idiocy.  The orange piece of shit will be dead soon enough, sometimes the adults in the room have to start looking for a warm replacement while the rest of dipshit MAGA country weeps over his grave.  Don't weep to close though, because there's no way I'm not shitting on it.

Well, a few might be looking for signs of sanity from the Republican Party.  Tall order these days.
If you are able to suspend for a few moments the gravity of what it means for the continued existence of the United States of America, I'm sure it was full of lulz.

Bullshit. People watch that stuff for confirmation bias. They want to confirm they should be outraged regardless of who they actually vote for.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

But what view does Lauren Boebert share that is worthy of serious discussion?  Or anyone currently on the right?

Obvious question is obvious. I’m sure she has a lot of beliefs I’d share and you would too. But she is so terrible that they can’t be discussed. I was giving a hyperbolic example and that is my fault. Let’s say, Kevin McCarthy instead of one of these assclowns.  

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

So called "conservatives" in the US Congress are about to let the government shut down because their too busy conducting impeachment hearings with zero evidence. I just love the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" characterization. A former president with 91 indictments, a judicial finding of fraud, and who lies incessantly about things that are easily disproven. Conservatives just today submitted altered evidence at a hearing and had to be called out on it, and no "conservatives" are out there calling any of this out or forcing their own party to act sane for at least a fucking second to keep the government running. Sounds a lot more like "Biden Derangement Syndrome" to me and anyone using their actual brain.

I hate Trump. I wasn’t belittling anything with saying TDS. I think it’s real and legitimate. I don’t have it because I wrote him off prior to ‘16 election. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Apparently you missed the Republican Presidential debate last night.  It was a solid two hours of respectful, reasoned discussion of the nuances of conservative ideals by seven of the most erudite members of the GOP!  There were fireworks galore, I must say!

Of course I did. Why the fuck would I watch that shitshow. 

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Why would you watch that unless your just want to be outraged? Did you learn anything from it? Did it change your mind about anything? Was there even a .000000000000001 percent chance it would?

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fuck that. People who watch wanna be outraged. Nobody looks for sanity in an asylum. 

On 9/28/2023 at 8:51 AM, Porterhouse said:

I’m not sure why you felt it necessary to type the first paragraph. On the second, I don’t know bernorange. There is always someone to discredit another that is critical of CR. It is very much a left wing circle jerk that stifles any discussion that it doesn’t deem worthy. All points that its editorial board doesn’t agree with are clown talking points. Everyone not in this large mob has this same experience. 

While there certainly is a fair share of progressive to far left posters on this site, the CR is not a left wing circle jerk.

As you know and has been stated innumerable times by many, a significant portion (if not a majority) of posters currently in the CR are former Republicans (like myself, who as you likely will recall was a staunch conservative and founding member and president of my law school's Federalist Society).  But now I'm a libtard.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

While there certainly is a fair share of progressive to far left posters on this site, the CR is not a left wing circle jerk.

As you know and has been stated innumerable times by many, a significant portion (if not a majority) of posters currently in the CR are former Republicans (like myself, who as you likely will recall was a staunch conservative and founding member and president of my law school's Federalist Society).  But now I'm a libtard.

As I know?  I don’t know anything about you. The CR is most assuredly a left wing circle jerk. 

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sure you do. We’ve had this conversation before, Rex. 

No and no. I mean I’ve ignored these comments from you for years. Guess you don’t believe, but I don’t know a thing about you. Other than I vaguely recall you’re at LCC. 

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

CR is an anti-Trump and therefore anti-GQP circle jerk.  It is the highest possible form of a circle jerk.

True and his ilk have effectively hijacked the party. It’s emboldened the leftists naturally inclined to whine and whipped them into a frenzy. Others will claim they “used to be Republican” which is mostly horseshit. I can’t identify a single Republican I’d vote for where I’d be eligible to do so, but I’m not going to break bread with other nut jobs that I have nothing in common with and make this big drama about how I used to be GOP. 

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m still waiting to hear all of these supposedly awesome conservative ideas and policies that Porterhouse has ready to debate in a more welcoming CR environment. Strange that he doesn’t list even a few. 

Well, the first is obviously dipping on planes...

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I can’t identify a single Republican I’d vote for where I’d be eligible to do so, but I’m not going to break bread with other nut jobs that I have nothing in common with

Those are our two choices, bud. Not voting doesn't make you above it all. It means you get to pretend that you had nothing to do with it when Trump and his ilk pass draconian laws and punish women, the LGTBQ community, minorities, immigrants, kids hoping for a decent education, the climate, etc., etc., etc.

Also, any particular nut jobs on the left that you find equally vile to those on the right, or are we just speaking in generalities here?

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Those are our two choices, bud. Not voting doesn't make you above it all. It means you get to pretend that you had nothing to do with it when Trump and his ilk pass draconian laws and punish women, the LGTBQ community, minorities, immigrants, kids hoping for a decent education, the climate, etc., etc., etc.

Also, any particular nut jobs on the left that you find equally vile to those on the right, or are we just speaking in generalities here?

There is very much a 3rd distinct choice in not voting. I am above it all. I don’t have anything to do with so-called draconian laws - some of which I disagree with (but lol at “punishing the climate” - this is precisely what I’m talking about with CR). Yes, I find many on the left as reprehensible as Gaetz, MTG and Boebert. No, I will not participate in elections where I am given the options I am given. Fuck it all. 

I will, however, have to think long and hard about voting against Trump. That’s about as far as I’d go. And I do understand why the state of the GOP has whipped people into a frenzy here. But I’m utterly fatigued with politics and have been since ‘16. I’m the personification of an Aggie football fan. I won’t participate in the futility. 

38 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No and no. I mean I’ve ignored these comments from you for years. Guess you don’t believe, but I don’t know a thing about you. Other than I vaguely recall you’re at LCC. 

Others will claim they “used to be Republican” which is mostly horseshit. I can’t identify a single Republican I’d vote for where I’d be eligible to do so, but I’m not going to break bread with other nut jobs that I have nothing in common with and make this big drama about how I used to be GOP. 

This dismissive approach is borderline trolling. 

I’m not making any big drama about being formerly GOP but simply pointing out the fallacy to which you cling about the makeup of many who post in the CR. 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

There is very much a 3rd distinct choice in not voting. I am above it all. I don’t have anything to do with so-called draconian laws - some of which I disagree with (but lol at “punishing the climate” - this is precisely what I’m talking about with CR). Yes, I find many on the left as reprehensible as Gaetz, MTG and Boebert. No, I will not participate in elections where I am given the options I am given. Fuck it all. 

I will, however, have to think long and hard about voting against Trump. That’s about as far as I’d go. And I do understand why the state of the GOP has whipped people into a frenzy here. But I’m utterly fatigued with politics and have been since ‘16. I’m the personification of an Aggie football fan. I won’t participate in the futility. 

And that’s fine. If you would otherwise have been a straight R ticket vote, abstention is better than the alternative. 

Look, I have held my nose voting for many D candidates of late (particularly our current county judiciary) so I get the appeal of staying above it all. 

Edited by DDD Dad

23 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

This dismissive approach is borderline trolling. 

I’m not making any big drama about being formerly GOP but simply pointing out the fallacy to which you cling about the makeup of many who post in the CR. 

I appreciate the latter post, but this one has me baffled. I’m not dismissing you. I tried to argue with you for a year but the last year just ignore the comments. 

Im not saying you’re making a drama of it, but you did in that post. Saying you and a few others were former proud GOPers is making a point of it. I didn’t do that - you did. And some of your ilk are the most bombastic, verbose posters on Surly. You’re not and I wasn’t even thinking about you in that ilk before you yourself said it. Regardless, to say that CR being a left wing echo chamber is a fallacy is laughable. For example, if I wanted to argue the merits of a hypothetical piece of legislation that @aggie08labels as “climate punishing”, I have to caveat my thoughts in a preamble that apologizes for my sinister thoughts before making my point, or I’ll attain 10 negs before anyone reads what I want to say. It’s not worth expending my energy. So it remains an echo chamber. 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

For example, if I wanted to argue the merits of a hypothetical piece of legislation that @aggie08labels as “climate punishing”, I have to caveat my thoughts in a preamble that apologizes for my sinister thoughts before making my point, or I’ll attain 10 negs before anyone reads what I want to say.

Sorry, I honestly meant to type "environment" since I know it's still scary to directly connect our environment to our climate.

15 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Who?

This is probably a genuine question. Lol. 

15 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Sorry, I honestly meant to type "environment" since I know it's still scary to directly connect our environment to our climate.

Scary?  Lol. Let me know what “environment punishing” legislation the GOP has proposed. I’ll hang up and listen. 

26 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Scary?  Lol. Let me know what “environment punishing” legislation the GOP has proposed. I’ll hang up and listen. 

You're honestly questioning the GOP's efforts to stand in the way of--and cut funding to--renewable energy? And you're from Texas? That's a take, I suppose.

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So you're not going to answer, then? Yes, I'm genuinely curious.

Nope. 

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You're honestly questioning the GOP's efforts to stand in the way of--and cut funding to--renewable energy? And you're from Texas? That's a take, I suppose.

Not questioning at all. It’s the smart play. And YOU’RE from Texas, and an Aggie?  That’s a take. A take that still doesn’t answer the question on the table of environment-punishing legislation. 

Edited by Porterhouse

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Okay, boomer. I mean, I'm assuming it's the usual allotment of Pelosi's and Clinton's, but that you aren't even willing to name anyone is telling.

You assume incorrectly.  Look at the hypocrisy coming from the left on the XOM-PXD deal. Look at the leftist looney women in the House. There’s more of them than there are Katie Porter. Elizabeth Warren is terrible. Pelosi and Clinton are competent. 

Yep, dismiss the views as one of a troll. Standard tactic. Don’t consider these as views of a very large group of people. That’s fine, I’ll continue to not post in CR. I’ve got bigger fish to fry, and we all do starting now. 

Maybe not CR, but WTF happened to the thread on Tennessee paternity testing.  Was looking forward to someone explaining  reproductive rights and why they only belong to one gender.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You assume incorrectly.  Look at the hypocrisy coming from the left on the XOM-PXD deal. Look at the leftist looney women in the House. There’s more of them than there are Katie Porter. Elizabeth Warren is terrible. Pelosi and Clinton are competent. 

You're honestly comparing Elizabeth Warren to Gaetz, Jordan, Tubberville, Cruz, MTG, Boebert, etc., etc., etc.. You do understand that there's a difference between someone you disagree with politically and people who make no actual attempt at governing or contributing to a functioning democracy? And you wonder why no one takes you seriously.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Lauren Boebert recently introduced articles of impeachment because “President Biden has abandoned his duties to ensure that the laws are faithfully executed and upheld, by presiding over an executive branch that has continually, overtly, and consistently refused to enforce the Nation’s immigration laws and secure the southern border.”

Elizabeth Warren recently introduced a bill to expand youth access to voting, and for other purposes 

Same same 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lauren Boebert recently introduced articles of impeachment because “President Biden has abandoned his duties to ensure that the laws are faithfully executed and upheld, by presiding over an executive branch that has continually, overtly, and consistently refused to enforce the Nation’s immigration laws and secure the southern border.”

Elizabeth Warren recently introduced a bill to expand youth access to voting, and for other purposes 

Same same 

I think this is my favorite part:

On 10/5/2023 at 7:15 PM, Porterhouse said:

I will, however, have to think long and hard about voting against Trump. That’s about as far as I’d go.

Wow. Hero. What does Trump have to do to finally drive you over that edge? You have 50 years of evidence to know exactly who he is. I know, I know, Biden is the other side of the same coin...or something.

Honestly ask yourself how livid, disgusted, and motivated you'd be to get he and his supporters the fuck off of office if a Democrat President pulled half the shit that Trump has.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

You're honestly comparing Elizabeth Warren to Gaetz, Jordan, Tubberville, Cruz, MTG, Boebert, etc., etc., etc.. You do understand that there's a difference between someone you disagree with politically and people who make no actual attempt at governing or contributing to a functioning democracy? And you wonder why no one takes you seriously.

Definitely comparing Warren to Cruz. Two peas in a pod and I much prefer Cruz. I’d never compare Warren with the terrible trio I mentioned. Boy you really are flinging shit to the wall. 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

@Brian Fantana you don't believe in paternal rights, or more importantly the rights of (non)dads to escape getting fucked over by the system?

Hey Fontana, why your pussy hurt so much?

Because he’s a cunt. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Same same 

Never compared a dipshit whore congresswhore to a senator. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I think this is my favorite part:

Wow. Hero. What does Trump have to do to finally drive you over that edge? You have 50 years of evidence to know exactly who he is. I know, I know, Biden is the other side of the same coin...or something.

Honestly ask yourself how livid, disgusted, and motivated you'd be to get he and his supporters the fuck off of office if a Democrat President pulled half the shit that Trump has.

This post is nonsense. 

16 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Never compared a dipshit whore congresswhore to a senator. 

Why would you think Senators are deserving of respect?  Tuberville is a complete dumbfuck.

Cruz is smart as shit and directs all his energy to pandering, performative nonsense.  Elizabeth Warren is smart as shit and tries to do stuff to make this a better country.

I mean, look at this dogshit.

Good Evening,

Time and time again, Joe Biden has consistently ignored the crisis unfolding at our southern border. Now that blue states are finally experiencing the disastrous consequences of the Biden administration’s broken border policies, they care. The hypocrisy is palpable. The Biden administration recently admitted that they must build twenty miles of border wall despite efforts to halt all construction immediately after he was sworn into office. Enough is enough. Texas deserves better and I will continue to fight to secure our border.

On Tuesday, I joined Sean Hannity on Fox News to discuss the importance of unifying against the left-wing radicals that are destroying our country.

“I'm feeling many of the sentiments that Republicans and conservatives across this country are feeling. On the one hand, the House of Representatives is the one bright spot we've got. … I don't like seeing chaos. I do hope we can come together and say, these crazy Marxist radical leftists that are destroying our country—we are unified against. I don’t know who the next Speaker of the House will be, but I hope they focus on something I called for nearly a year ago … impeaching Alejandro Mayorkas.”

On Wednesday, I attended the Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing where I questioned the radical Marxist views of Judge Mustafa Taher Kasubhai, a nominee for the federal bench.

“I think your fellow nominees owe you a debt of gratitude. Many Biden nominees have been extreme, but your record is so far out of the mainstream that you have attracted virtually all of the questions. I was particularly intrigued by your statement … you said you are not in fact, a Marxist. And then you said, and I wrote down, ‘I have not praised Marxist ideas.’ Now you know, in law there is the fact of evidence. … [You wrote] an article that is entitled centralized property theory … on the front page of your law school newspaper. … In 2020, you gave a speech entitled reflections on equity and privilege. … Now that’s Marxism in 2020.”

On Wednesday, as the ranking member of the Senate Commerce Committee, I questioned the nominee for FAA administrator, Michael Whitaker. This is a crucially important role as three million passengers board commercial flights every day going in and out of U.S. airports with confidence that they will arrive safely to their destinations. 

“When it comes to aviation safety, the buck stops with the FAA. This is a crucially important role. The next administrator will face serious challenges in rebuilding the FAA after 18 months without a Senate-confirmed leader. They must address the challenges facing the FAA: staffing critical air traffic control facilities, modernizing antiquated air traffic systems, and bringing employees back in person after three years of telework.”

Later Wednesday evening, I joined Mike Warren of Fox 7 News Austin to discuss my bill the Agent Raul Gonzales Officer Safety Act. The bill would protect the brave men and women in law enforcement by criminalizing fleeing from agents or officers in a high-speed chase.

“[The Agent Raul Gonzales Officer Safety Act is] named after Border Patrol Agent Raul Gonzales, who was killed in December of last year. … An illegal immigrant was fleeing from him and his ATV ended up flipping over, and killing him. This bill provides very significant jail time for failing to yield to a border patrol agent because that is endangering not just border patrol agents and law enforcement, but it’s endangering the citizens of South Texas and citizens across our state.”

On Thursday morning, I joined Lawrence Jones of Fox & Friends at a diner in North Dallas to discuss the Biden administration’s false sympathy towards the threat of illegal immigration facing Texas and other southern border states. 

“Blue states are finally seeing the consequences of [illegal immigration]. … What do they think 7.6 million has done to Texas and the other border states? They are experiencing now what we’ve been seeing for a long time, … a crisis that is out of control.  I do not believe for a minute that Joe Biden wants to fix it.”

Rest assured, I won’t let up in this fight to keep Texas safe and secure our nation. God Bless! 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why would you think Senators are deserving of respect?  Tuberville is a complete dumbfuck.

Cruz is smart as shit and directs all his energy to pandering, performative nonsense.  Elizabeth Warren is smart as shit and tries to do stuff to make this a better country.

I mean, look at this dogshit.

I didn’t compare the three terrible GOP Congressmen to Warren. Warren IS smart. But she is terrible. For every Cruz video you post, I could post as many with Warren looking like a grandstanding assclown, and looking far worse than Cruz in the videos you posted. 

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I didn’t compare the three terrible GOP Congressmen to Warren. Warren IS smart. But she is terrible. For every Cruz video you post, I could post as many with Warren looking like a grandstanding assclown, and looking far worse than Cruz in the videos you posted. 

I pretty violently disagree with that.  Warren has actually passed legislation.  Cruz is yelling at clouds.  Examples, Warren legislated into existence an entire federal agency and is openly calling for the resignation of criminal members of her party (Menendez).  That's about 10,000x the level of competence and candor and integrity of Felito.

But you specifically said dipshit whore congressman to a Senator.  There are plenty of dipshit whore Senators too.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5