The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

Yeah, I need to find a an edible product they’ll help me chill and sleep at night.  My other efforts the last year have proven futile. 

I still don’t get, after all these years, the boundaries of DT forum.  I’m guilty of politicizing shit.  But I’ve never done so as a Democrat.  As a Republican, a Libertarian, and anti-Republican…sure.  And gotten tons of rep for it.  But this place moves ahead so we all must be doing something correct.  

you know the “right” is in a bad place in this state when people like Brisket and I are the fucking voices of reason.  We had to shut down a thread because some people pointed out that a former U.S. President tacitly encouraged his base to hurt the daughter of a prominent judge. That’s not even a cause for concern anymore, but you guys stay butt hurt on interjecting politics into NFL games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I need to find a an edible product they’ll help me chill and sleep at night.  My other efforts the last year have proven futile. 

I still don’t get, after all these years, the boundaries of DT forum.  I’m guilty of politicizing shit.  But I’ve never done so as a Democrat.  As a Republican, a Libertarian, and anti-Republican…sure.  And gotten tons of rep for it.  But this place moves ahead so we all must be doing something correct.  

you know the “right” is in a bad place in this state when people like Brisket and I are the fucking voices of reason.  We had to shut down a thread because some people pointed out that a former U.S. President tacitly encouraged his base to hurt the daughter of a prominent judge. That’s not even a cause for concern anymore, but you guys stay butt hurt on interjecting politics into NFL games. 

169csbear.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:45 PM, Mullet Free said:

I listened to a podcast with the author of this report. He's obviously biased, but appeared to know the details every way possible. 

The report itself I've only scanned, but it's dense with listed statutes that were allegedly violated. I share this here not to debate it. Just sharing since you said there's no agreed upon contents. It's all here for review.

https://bidenlaptopreport.marcopolousa.org/report_viewer/index.html#p=1

https://bidenlaptopreport.marcopolousa.org/

Now, I'm not going to say this "report" is utter garbage or anything like that.  Or that the formatting is shockingly bad or it proves nothing -- I have no idea since I couldn't make heads or tails of out of a compendium of screenshots, let alone grasp the argument and its proof.  

I will say that if you turned that in as your master's thesis you would be told to not to plan on walking in your expected graduation ceremony with everyone else.  Maybe not for a year or so.

On 3/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, Mullet Free said:

I think this might be why “The Cloak Room is a terrible place.”

Great post, dude.  You aren't equipped to win an argument so your response is "someone else is depressed?"  

You want to feel better about yourself?  Or just better than someone?  Find an article that confirms your bias and you're all good.  

My advice: post this where your friends hang out.  SECrant or Texags or whatever.  They won't see through it.  Or try.  They are like you and hate the woke.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

I agree 100% and wish you and others would report these posts as "right wing trolling" so i can nip them before they start something. I fully admit I may gloss over those posts due to not spending much time in CR and not knowing the current talking points/dog whistles.

I know we've looked into it in the past but don't think without a bunch of customization would be able to do anything.

I did report them. A lot. I was told to stop.

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

thing that sucks is that DT discussions become filled with overt but not explicit right wing commentary. It's difficult to address those comments without making them explicit

This is the problem. DT can make an overt statement, an obvious political statement, not a news story based on facts, but an opinion that's acceptable to DT. To respond to this opinion statement will require an equally political response. That's what gets reported and removed. Reporting the precipitating comment is resisted and discouraged. This is why you have a reputation for protecting some views in DT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Maybe immamac can route the right wing snowflakes to a sub forum that appears to be the comments section of a Fox News article. Could be Obama birth certificate, Hunter’s Dong, a photo spread of Tucker and Sean giving Trump a rusty trombone. Like moths to a flame and the rest of us could live in peace.

22 hours ago, Captainant said:

Well please allow me to be the first to thank you for a consistent and coherent set of moderation rules, and not just dropping in to disrupt a thread and then fucking off for another week or two.

Your "I'll fuckin do it again" is very on-brand for surly, but rings hollow when later that day the thread was derailed a bunch more times. Or is the line with you just certain subjects? Like how Russians actively influence and steer domestic political discourse via dark money and social media influence campaigns?

It would be much less frustrating if you were at least self aware of how your moderation politics are being exploited to protect and shelter a particular world view. That and, if you didn't memory hole posts when you moderate them so we could actually hold people to account for the awful things they've posted, but that's a whole other thing. 

If you think a post violates DT by going political you should report it. In my experience Bob and the other mods are pretty good about cleaning up the shit monkeys post in there when alerted. 
Bitching about @blacklab’s moderation here doesn’t solve anything but makes you look petty. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 6

I don't post that much in DT either, but given the climate around here, a shit-ton of non-political posts are gonna get reported.  For some fuckers on here EVERYTHING is political.

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't post that much in DT either, but given the climate around here, a shit-ton of non-political posts are gonna get reported.  For some fuckers on here EVERYTHING is political.

See also, rates of depression among young people. Social media, hyper-polarized politics, and the vicious cycle that revolves around the constant fixation on catastrophization is breaking people's brains.  And particular our youth.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 4/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Rimbo said:

Yep. Basically, "if you see something, say something." Blacklab's not here to read every goddamned shitpost we generate just to see who's violating the rules. It's up to us to point shit out.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:08 PM, cactusflinthead said:

I did report them. A lot. I was told to stop.

Seems like some mixed messaging going on!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Victimhood is the social currency of the day.

Mixed with a massive dose of narcissism.

I agree with you on the victimhood part.  But you cracked me up with "narcissism" comment.  I mean c'mon man, politics aside.  He's the most narcissistic person in the whole fucking country.  I mean, that's his jam.  If you dig it, cool.  But you can't lump together a whole subset of America as "narcissist" and then turn around to idolize the literal embodiment of narcissism without at least attaching the meme, "You alright!  I learned it by watching you!"  from the 80's PSA.  You seem to have a good sense of humor on most other forums.

5 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

We gamify and cash in our rep points to make posts where nobody gets to rep it. I can finally tell everyone how I feel about xxxxx in xxxxxx. Only after that we will have free speech in the internet, and free from consequences.

frank-grievances.thumb.jpg.cb86dcdf809e8d181b532873d6f8de1c.jpg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 9:19 AM, Captainant said:

Well please allow me to be the first to thank you for a consistent and coherent set of moderation rules, and not just dropping in to disrupt a thread and then fucking off for another week or two.

Your "I'll fuckin do it again" is very on-brand for surly, but rings hollow when later that day the thread was derailed a bunch more times. Or is the line with you just certain subjects? Like how Russians actively influence and steer domestic political discourse via dark money and social media influence campaigns?

It would be much less frustrating if you were at least self aware of how your moderation politics are being exploited to protect and shelter a particular world view. That and, if you didn't memory hole posts when you moderate them so we could actually hold people to account for the awful things they've posted, but that's a whole other thing. 

Just reporting in to say that the DT moderation is there to protect the terrible people who enjoy spewing crass gun shit. We must protect the gun snowflakes!

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck narcissism and fuck victimhood in the goat ass and the reason why young liberals are depressed is because they know the world is burning, kids are getting mowed down by military weapons legally bought, and their friends who are black, brown, queer, poor and “other” are being scapegoated and the answer isn’t returning to a time gone by, it’s taking real action while a bunch of jackwagons in power tell them to sit down and wait their turn.  

sobriety, courage, compassion and kindness are our only way out. Making room at the table for all is the solution. Playing emotional blame games is for fools.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Doubt it.  Maybe if they become CR posters, but by then, I'm dead and wife fell for a shitheel. 

Should I not be forcing them to watch Gordon Gecko clips?

moving this to a more appropriate thread because you're threadshitting across a mass shooting thread and an inflation thread now.

What is this obsession with othering posters that unga your bunga by calling them "CR posters"? You're a fucking CR poster lmfao, you just told us how much you don't give a fuck (negative fucks, actually) about people committing suicide with guns in the CR mass shooting thread. Pure class, by the way.

If you're gonna use an ad-hominem attack to ignore a poster, at least pick a reason that doesn't also apply to you lmao

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

moving this to a more appropriate thread because you're threadshitting across a mass shooting thread and an inflation thread now.

What is this obsession with othering posters that unga your bunga by calling them "CR posters"? You're a fucking CR poster lmfao, you just told us how much you don't give a fuck (negative fucks, actually) about people committing suicide with guns. 

If you're gonna use an ad-hominem attack to ignore a poster, at least pick a reason that doesn't also apply to you lmao

You have the ability to move threads.  Fuck that, have fun. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I cross-quoted your post and moved the conversation to a more appropriate thread, instead of continuing to threadshit like you've been doing for the last few days. I do not have mod powers lol.

Dial back your victimhood, you're over-calibrated.

Edited by Captainant
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I cross-quoted your post and moved the conversation to a more appropriate thread, instead of continuing to threadshit like you've been doing for the last few days. I do not have mod powers lol.

Dial back your victimhood, you're over-calibrated.

Would posting "that's right, bitch" several times be considered thread shitting? 

On 5/15/2023 at 1:38 PM, fattyflattie said:

i'm not sure you are okay based on your posting of the past couple of days. everything okay, man?

the reason i ask is because your reaction to him quoting your post from another thread in this thread is this?

your words are mobile. people can take them and publish them without attribution.  he even posted in the post about which you are upset that he was moving this conversation here so as not to derail elsewhere.

jesus, man. take a breath before posting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

JFC fellas, we gotta stop with the "you need to get mental health treatment bro, worried about you."  It's the male equivalent of "I don't care for your tone right now."  

We're all unhinged.  Now granted a few folks on here have made genuine overtures for help and this community rallies around them IRL in a really inspiring way.  Beyond that, this incessant, "Dude, you are legit insane and hope you get the help you need" is so vag-tastic.  

Having said all that, if anybody knows how or why I suddenly can speak Dutch...please let me and the person listed on my bracelet know immediately.  

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

So what's the deal with CR politics?  I don't get it.  Am I right people?

(for those that know that line...don't tell the rest of the board we are absolutely living in a simulation and we're all fucking insane)

Why call it The Cloak Room? No one wears a cloak. And it's not really a room. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Goddamnit man, we were talking cloaks and capes and you come in here with your extremist malt extract bullshit!  This is why we can't have honest discourse.  

You can't just veer a political nor a seinfeld conversation into whatever the hell suits your narrative.  

I mean maybe you can talk belt-less rain coats or an urban poncho as a reasonable compromise to the cloak/cape alongside reasonable access to Plan-B drugs and abortion for rape/incest/safety of mother/viability of fetus.  But you're over here with your fucking "Reproduction is between a woman, God, the State, and Kenny Bania"?  That's not Gold man, not GOLD!  

On 5/19/2023 at 7:02 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Why call it The Cloak Room? No one wears a cloak. And it's not really a room. 

Prolly the only good thing I ever did on Shaggy was getting blacklab to change Wasatchhorn ‘s user name to R.C. Slocum after he complained about the name of the recruiting forum. 

You don’t want to be known as Cloakroomer, do ya Cheese?

• Haha 2