The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tell us your version.

I did/ have.  I’m not going to recount it.

cliffnotes: Iceman was a sock created when I stopped posting in CR.  There was nothing clandestine about the activity. Nor did I ever deny who it was. After about a year, that I should just go back to using my original handle, so I did. Then the sock became a mechanism to prove the point that all the people that said, rep  doesn’t matter would get pissed when something corrupted the system.  

if there was no risk of crowdsourcing, I would not give one fuck about a rep score.  In fact a negative score would be something of a badge of honor with the way some of the bitchass  posters on here use it.

bottom line, people know who the fuck they like shooting the shit with or just having a civil discussion. People know who the fucking trolls are. The rep system is pretty much worthless without comments, anyway. Long live Light The Tower!

Edited by slorch

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Correct.

False.

All kinds of people got pissed and reported me for transgressions against rep.  Mental health questions were raised. I can link it if you want later today.

Yes, fucking seriously. 

LOLZ at Serak.  Never ever ever has a positive comment or agrees with me, but always there to correct my stance.  What a fucking cunt.

Edited by slorch

False.
All kinds of people got pissed and reported me for transgressions against rep.  Mental health questions were raised. I can link it if you want later today.

Yes, fucking seriously. 

LOLZ at Serak.  Never ever ever has a positive comment or agrees with me, but always there to correct my stance.  What a fucking cunt.

Well, do you have mental health issues? You voluntarily chose to live in Lubbock and Amarillo. Just saying.
  • Haha 3

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, do you have mental health issues? You voluntarily chose to live in Lubbock and Amarillo. Just saying.

Point. match. Winner.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

False.

Yes, fucking seriously. 

Treat with me the respect I deserve. Full name please. Do I ever call you "slor"?

And yes, would love to see (when you have time of course) what you think counts as posters being pissed about the creation of iceman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I do generally agree with you that there is too much auto-negging in CR. For example I think @0xdeadbeef was earnestly posting in the CR in good faith and got a lot of negs for some relatively innocuous (imo) posts. But at the same time it's silly to ignore posting history. I laugh a little every time @Nicole44 complains about the mean old CR. Maybe she forgets advocating for killing of innocent people through widespread bombing of the Middle East, literally claiming that for women and children "Better to be obliterated" than live their lives. At a certain point it's hard to take certain people seriously when they claim to want an intelligent discussion.

I assume you’re talking about the Taliban and not ashamed to say I don’t care if they are obliterated. The Taliban. I’ve also been sober since April 24, 2022. Not one drink since. Period. So I get people from every forum probably have a lot to say about any of my posts on any given thread. I rarely neg people and have explained why. I have never reported a single poster or post on surly. Not once. I don’t get into all that shit even though several posters have made and DERAILED many threads bitching about me and my very existence on this site. I can take up for myself. I don’t need the mods to do it for me. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Immamac has kidnapped y’all’s kids too and is requiring you to post on Surly? I thought it was only me.

He kidnapped a lot of us. We are in his basement and he forgets to feed us. Please send some pizza, Pinkertons BBQ, voodoo donuts, $50,000 in cash and Amy’s Mexican Vanilla ice cream. Thanks! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I assume you’re talking about the Taliban and not ashamed to say I don’t care if they are obliterated. The Taliban. I’ve also been sober since April 24, 2022. Not one drink since. Period. So I get people from every forum probably have a lot to say about any of my posts on any given thread. I rarely neg people and have explained why. I have never reported a single poster or post on surly. Not once. I don’t get into all that shit even though several posters have made and DERAILED many threads bitching about me and my very existence on this site. I can take up for myself. I don’t need the mods to do it for me. 

Good for you (seriously, not being sarcastic). I am way more forgettable as a poster than you due to lack of both posts and tits but I am sure I have posted some stupid shit under the influence. I doubt I have ever negged one of your posts as I try to only neg shit that is either hateful or disingenuous, and I don't think you've ever been disingenuous.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I do generally agree with you that there is too much auto-negging in CR. For example I think @0xdeadbeef was earnestly posting in the CR in good faith and got a lot of negs for some relatively innocuous (imo) posts. But at the same time it's silly to ignore posting history. I laugh a little every time @Nicole44 complains about the mean old CR. Maybe she forgets advocating for killing of innocent people through widespread bombing of the Middle East, literally claiming that for women and children "Better to be obliterated" than live their lives. At a certain point it's hard to take certain people seriously when they claim to want an intelligent discussion.

As has been suggested by many on here, we need an eye roll emoji that is neutral.  We only have the neg rep.  I'd use the eye roll most the time if we had it.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's funny when there's all these complaints about how unusable CR is, when basically every time a more conservative poster comes in it's exclusively to push whatever the new grievance is: CRT, trans/gay, woke-ism (whatever that is), etc etc. And when they bring a source or a link to back their claims, it's the daily caller, or some fly by night substack blog, shitty meme they saw on Facebook, or some other clearly bad-faith source. 

There's an incredible difference in media literacy between the left and right. Hell, I saw someone post a fucking neonazi blog to support their CRT talking points AND THEY GOT MAD WHEN IT WAS POINTED OUT TO THEM! 

Perhaps conservative posters would get shit on less if they didn't bring so much shit into the CR. They'd also have an easier time supporting their position if they had actual policy and not culture war bullshit they were singularly focused on

Is there a more conservative poster in the CR now you can point to that's ok, that's doing that?

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't want to berate the cliche that we're living in divided times, but to some points above---I think the shift is also due to just the timing of incredibly abundant shit sources for political news.  We were always gonna end up here, but it's the ubiquity of just one crap site after another being linked to defend crap positions.  I don't know it's a lagging result of political divisiveness or a cause of it, but here we are.  The same people who repped me for years when I gave inside baseball ridicule to Obama bitch and whine incessantly that I'm some overly-CR libtard.  I sat out the first two years of Trump's administration on political posts.  And now, four years later, I'm still waiting on my invite to the event where my old party decided that we were gonna embrace conspiracy and stupidity.  I had no fucking idea how desperate you guys were to reveal your inner assholes.  Be like me, showcase it every day.  Don't wait for validation from a failed gameshow host.  

Said it before and I'll say it again.  I'm no Democrat, but CR is fucking funny.  Way funnier than you "never CR" posters.  What the fuck happened to you guys that Jim Breuer and PilotsError are now your benchmarks for comedy?  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Is there a more conservative poster in the CR now you can point to that's ok, that's doing that?

No, and to that posters credit, he owned up to his massive fuckup after getting a long timeout. By my point is: his (and many of his buddies) normal information stream includes that sort of insanity and outright propaganda and lack the media literacy to consider it critically. Hell, there's been times where I or another poster were able to identify the rag they were plagiarizing from (it happened to Sack quite a few times in the CRT thread lmao), simply from googling an entire sentence with quotes around it from their screed lol. 

That's the starting point for the side crying foul about the CR in this thread. I don't think it's terribly unreasonable for us to treat them unseriously when they can't even come up with their own ideas or arguments and resort to word for word repeating what their preferred culture warrior said - which is again, frequently backed by specious sources that don't hold up to any deeper inspection.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's funny when there's all these complaints about how unusable CR is, when basically every time a more conservative poster comes in it's exclusively to push whatever the new grievance is: CRT, trans/gay, woke-ism (whatever that is), etc etc. And when they bring a source or a link to back their claims, it's the daily caller, or some fly by night substack blog, shitty meme they saw on Facebook, or some other clearly bad-faith source. 

There's an incredible difference in media literacy between the left and right. Hell, I saw someone post a fucking neonazi blog to support their CRT talking points AND THEY GOT MAD WHEN IT WAS POINTED OUT TO THEM! 

Perhaps conservative posters would get shit on less if they didn't bring so much shit into the CR. They'd also have an easier time supporting their position if they had actual policy and not culture war bullshit they were singularly focused on

Dude, so much this. And people do get piled on unnecessarily,  but often there’s context around that specific poster, and even when there’s not…. grow the fuck up. Nobody is getting neg bombed to death just trying to explore different opinions and engaging honestly. 

Our politics are completely fucked.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

No, and to that posters credit, he owned up to his massive fuckup after getting a long timeout. By my point is: his (and many of his buddies) normal information stream includes that sort of insanity and outright propaganda and lack the media literacy to consider it critically. Hell, there's been times where I or another poster were able to identify the rag they were plagiarizing from (it happened to Sack quite a few times in the CRT thread lmao), simply from googling an entire sentence with quotes around it from their screed lol. 

That's the starting point for the side crying foul about the CR in this thread. I don't think it's terribly unreasonable for us to treat them unseriously when they can't even come up with their own ideas or arguments and resort to word for word repeating what their preferred culture warrior said - which is again, frequently backed by specious sources that don't hold up to any deeper inspection.

Speaks volumes about how unwelcoming CR is.  I can't believe given the number and diversity of Surly users that there aren't plenty who could contribute but who have decided it's not worth it. I'd love to see a no rep or no reply forum to see if it would be better as currently just not worth it.

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

LOL. CA lecturing anyone on media literacy, much less couching it in terms of left vs right, is hilarious. 

LOL. This is also great. Keep going dude. 

The problem with the CR appears to be that there are no mirrors. 

Then there is Ana.  Sigh.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Speaks volumes about how unwelcoming CR is.  I can't believe given the number and diversity of Surly users that there aren't plenty who could contribute but who have decided it's not worth it. I'd love to see a no rep or no reply forum to see if it would be better as currently just not worth it.

There are lots of historically and traditionally conservative posters in CR. Most of the central beliefs/grievances of the modern GOP are not supported by facts or reason, and this is a big part of why “conservative” posters who venture into CR are frequently backing their arguments with bullshit or lifting them verbatim from Republican grievance blogs. It’s not just because CR people are mean. The modern GOP is not intellectually diverse.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Spout off bullshit with no penalty? Try that in sports and see how it goes. Ask 1604 how well it went. Oh wait you can't because he got crowd sourced. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

There are lots of historically and traditionally conservative posters in CR. Most of the central beliefs/grievances of the modern GOP are not supported by facts or reason, and this is a big part of why “conservative” posters who venture into CR are frequently backing their arguments with bullshit or lifting them verbatim from Republican grievance blogs. It’s not just because CR people are mean. The modern GOP is not intellectually diverse.

It's also victimized by its media sources.  I rarely take anything from either side's media at face value, but if you fact-check and verify, you'll find that MSM is far more accurate and candid than the plethora of Fox News acolytes and imitators that litter the internet.

And, "leftists" frequently post inaccurate sound bites from twatter and the like and, although usually not met with the same vitriol, the inaccuracy is pointed out quickly, as in please don't post [breathlessly false twatter account].

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Spout off bullshit with no penalty? Try that in sports and see how it goes. Ask 1604 how well it went. Oh wait you can't because he got crowd sourced. 

That's actually a pretty good analogy.  Many of the "right wing" posts are complete shitposts to begin with.  Some cite a very bad source, like bringing Clay Travis into the football discussion unironically.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

in please don't post [breathlessly false twatter account].

Raises hand. I don't remember which ones I have been called out for but it has happened. I'll grab questionable stuff expecting pushback because I want the discussion. I'm just as likely to grab something from the Bulwark as the WP. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:56 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'd use the eye roll most the time if we had it.

Why are you spouting lies? No one here believes this. 

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

We get one of these posts on every page on this thread. Thanks for playing the hits. 

On 4/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I can't believe given the number and diversity of Surly users that there aren't plenty who could contribute but who have decided it's not worth it.

They just can’t handle the heat! Too much logic, sound policy, and original thought coming at them for the average person to take!

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

There’s plenty of bullshit spewed in CR that goes unpunished by all of its well documented conservative membership.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 7

On 3/31/2023 at 10:15 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Social media is an echo chamber. It is what it is.

You are way more correct than wrong. Perhaps that is by design. Sometimes enforced by rules limiting what someone can post. Which is different than a post receiving negative response on the merits of the post content.

I post mainly in CR, because that is where what I usually want to post is allowed. OTOH, reading DT, or 6SJ, often provokes a desire to respond to a given post, because politics is more than just a thing. Politics determines the future my kids will navigate. Because reasons, I am not supposed to share my view on other threads. That, too, is frustrating.

CR is the free speech zone here on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I can’t imagine how lame that dude’s life must be that he spends his time making multiple screen names on a forum where no one likes him. Well, except for other right wing bitch made bitches. Ducking get a hobby.

My work allows time for following news and posting and I guess I enjoy adversarial intellectual environments.  Where else can I be called a snowflake by a heavy metal loving, pit bull apologist?  Harder to do irl.

Not everyone dislikes me. There’s usually just a few people that reliably neg. That said, I am tired of resetting accounts so I’ve cut down on CR posting by probably over 90%. Just keeping limited to topics that really interest me and staying away from culture war stuff that is very upsetting to some. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

My work allows time for following news and posting and I guess I enjoy adversarial intellectual environments.  Where else can I be called a snowflake by a heavy metal loving, pit bull apologist?  Harder to do irl.
Not everyone dislikes me. There’s usually just a few people that reliably neg. That said, I am tired of resetting accounts so I’ve cut down on CR posting by probably over 90%. Just keeping limited to topics that really interest me and staying away from culture war stuff that is very upsetting to some. 

Got it. So after 5-6 different screen names you are finally getting the hang of things. “Could be worse.”
  • Haha 3