So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

On 8/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, Chooky said:

Yes, those are more important issues.  But attaching yourself to an overwhelmingly favorable issue that has basically gone undefeated on every ballot in the last four years couldn't hurt.  And then you force your opponent to oppose it.  Beto is gonna need every ounce of juice he can squeeze and that's still probably not enough.

How many red states have embraced weed? I mean, Oklahoma is probably on the verge of legalizing it for recreational. Arkansas isn't far behind. Legal weed is truly one of the few things that the people on the ground for both sides agree on. If it looks like it is gaining enough momentum, expect both sides to jump on the bandwagon. Otherwise it is an issue of a bunch of old people being afraid "the blacks" are gonna toke it up and do bad things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How many red states have embraced weed? I mean, Oklahoma is probably on the verge of legalizing it for recreational. Arkansas isn't far behind. Legal weed is truly one of the few things that the people on the ground for both sides agree on. If it looks like it is gaining enough momentum, expect both sides to jump on the bandwagon. Otherwise it is an issue of a bunch of old people being afraid "the blacks" are gonna toke it up and do bad things. 

Arizona, South Dakota, Mississippi, Montana, Alaska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, West Virginia, Missouri, North Dakota

granted, it’s not fully legal in all of these states, but the states listed above all have at least medical marijuana programs that work.

fun fact : many red states are further along in the legalization process than deep blue Hawaii. Why is that you ask?  The governor of Hawaii single handedly stone walls it worrying that the feds will bust people when they transfer weed from island to island because the water between islands “ belongs to the US” and its breaking federal law.

worst excuse I’ve ever heard. The feds have better things to do on the mainland than to go stake out people traveling between Hawaiian islands with weed. I’m glad their shitty governor is term limited and Hawaii will be fully legal soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

And yeah…..

Bathroom Dan single handedly chokes out marijuana reform in Texas every legislative cycle. He saw that people were putting together wins by using the ballot initiative process all over the country and wanted to start his own conservative version of it with bathroom legislation. He failed miserably. Other states that did pass potty laws were threatened by major companies and events that they would no longer have events in that state or bring jobs there. 

now Bathroom Dan is being a bitter Betty because his own idea or movement failed and legal marijuana is flourishing so he takes great pride in smothering it in the Texas legislature every 2 years. 

I can’t wait until bathroom Dan dies. I’ll be happier than when rush Limbaugh croaked. Fuck you bathroom Dan.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

On a selfish note, legalizing it in Texas (or federally) doesn’t change anything for me. O&G, even office jobs like mine, will continue to be tested.

How often are you tested?  

they should at least make it like the NFL where you know when the test is coming.

On a selfish note, legalizing it in Texas (or federally) doesn’t change anything for me. O&G, even office jobs like mine, will continue to be tested.

Meanwhile, in California:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/california-bill-to-protect-workers-from-being-fired-for-marijuana-use-off-the-job-heads-to-governors-desk/
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/california-bill-to-protect-workers-from-being-fired-for-marijuana-use-off-the-job-heads-to-governors-desk/

they should at least make it like the NFL where you know when the test is coming.

Depends on the company. Some rarely if ever test after the pre employment screening. Some do random urine. Others do random hair tests.

It should be treated like alcohol. Can’t use it or show up to work stoned. It’s simple. But they won’t make it that way.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Depends on the company. Some rarely if ever test after the pre employment screening. Some do random urine. Others do random hair tests.

It should be treated like alcohol. Can’t use it or show up to work stoned. It’s simple. But they won’t make it that way.

For someone that doesn't follow this closely how hard would it be to legalize it nationally?

Mainly asking for medical studies which are funded nationally. It would be nice to understand the risk benefit surrounding it. Just realized the other day that it uses CYP3A4 in the Liver to metabolize. This very much could effect certain medications, dosing, etc., but as it is not legal nationally, companies cannot test this.

13 minutes ago, MoJames said:

For someone that doesn't follow this closely how hard would it be to legalize it nationally?

Mainly asking for medical studies which are funded nationally. It would be nice to understand the risk benefit surrounding it. Just realized the other day that it uses CYP3A4 in the Liver to metabolize. This very much could effect certain medications, dosing, etc., but as it is not legal nationally, companies cannot test this.

I don't think it would legalize it nationally, just decriminalize it nationally. State's could still make it illegal. The simplest thing is to remove it from Schedule 1. There would be a lot more involved, like taxing the shit out of it, but the bills have been written a number of times and I think could pass pretty easily. I hope the dems force the issue in October to see how many republicans actually say no in a way they'd have to admit is purely political to prevent Biden from having yet another "win" under his belt.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I don't think it would legalize it nationally, just decriminalize it nationally. State's could still make it illegal. The simplest thing is to remove it from Schedule 1. There would be a lot more involved, like taxing the shit out of it, but the bills have been written a number of times and I think could pass pretty easily. I hope the dems force the issue in October to see how many republicans actually say no in a way they'd have to admit is purely political to prevent Biden from having yet another "win" under his belt.

We should probably define terms some.  I think "legalization" means establishing a legal framework people to use/buy/sell weed without any legal implications.  "Decriminalization' means removing criminal penalties, but still not establishing a system where people are allowed to do it.  For example, Nebraska "decriminalized" possession under an ounce of flower back in the late 80s.  That meant people wouldn't go to prison for low-level possession, but would still pay a $300 ticket if they were caught.  It was more about criminal justice and not stupidly spending millions of dollars to incarcerate people who were no risk to society.  But it is still against the law.  

As far as the Feds, there are several things they could do to help:

- Change the federal employment drug testing guidelines.  Many companies in legalized states still use these guidelines as the basis for their drug testing regime, even for employees who are terminally ill. 

- I believe Reagan prohibited federal dollars from being used in testing the medical benefits of marijuana.  If that policy is still in place, it should be removed.  Thats less legalization or decriminalization, but rather 

- Congress could establish a legal framework for handling finances for mj sales in states where it is legal.  That would be huge for reducing crimes around pot shops who are forced to operate in cash.  (I did hear that pot stores here in WA could accept debit cards.  Not sure if that was from federal action or some local stopgap.) 

I agree that the Feds could not force the legalization of pot nationwide, just like they can't force the legalization of alcohol nationwide. (Hello, fucked up county in Amarillo.)   But there many different aspects to the issue that they could establish a legal framework for (legalization), including the federal drug laws that pertain to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Correct. It’s a DOT requirement for pipeline operating companies. That won’t change if it’s legalized.

Correct. And not just pipeline companies. Any company that has employees that must meet DOT requirements. However, that is dumb as shit. Amazon already said they won’t test their non DOT employees. I don’t see why O&G can’t do that.

Correct. It’s a DOT requirement for pipeline operating companies. That won’t change if it’s legalized.

Correct. And not just pipeline companies. Any company that has employees that must meet DOT requirements. However, that is dumb as shit. Amazon already said they won’t test their non DOT employees. I don’t see why O&G can’t do that.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The DOT requirement could, and should, change.  The current urine tests are for what cannabinoids break down into, not the cannabinoids themselves.  It's the remnants of being stoned, not an indication of being stoned.  I believe saliva tests are for current use, or at least a much shorter history.  I think blood tests could be geared for active shit as well.  

The current testing is an artifact from when the goal was to prohibit pot smokers in general, not just idiots who are inhibited at work.  If you did the same for alcohol there would be riots.  And, because it is so broad, many companies have stricken the drug testing policies entirely and are more likely to have inhibited employees. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/arkansas-supreme-court-says-votes-will-be-counted-for-marijuana-initiative-on-november-ballot/

Arkansas will be voting on recreational this election. Any guesses how it will go?  They’ve already legalized medicinal. Oklahoma was going to vote on recreational too, but the Prohibitionist’s succeeded in getting it delayed. I almost don’t mind them pushing it back to 2024 because the turnout will be higher, especially if trump is on the ballot. More people voting means more likely to pass. The GOP poll drones who would show up to a special election in January for Pete sake will probably be lame as fuck and vote no on it so we need infrequent voters to show up.

look up the 2018 Oklahoma primary. Turnout was way way up because of the initiative to legalize a very generous version of medicinal.

While I ought love this thread, I hate this thread.

And, unless Texans demand a citizen’s ballot initiative, marijuana will be decriminalized federally before our state legislates the same. Too many dumb fuck hypocrites mouth the word freedom while voting for the party of repression. Fuck them all. Every one.

Give me gummies!

Edited by Willfully Horn
Wordsinblack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

And, unless Texans demand a citizen’s ballot initiative, marijuana will be decriminalized federally before our state legislates the same. Too many dumb fuck hypocrites mouth the word freedom while voting for the party of repression. Fuck them all. Every one.

Give me gummies!

All we can do right now is root for other states / countries to kill their laws so that Texas looks worse by comparison. Eventually Texas will have to give in.

6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Give me gummies!

You and I disagree on a lot, but not the bolded part. They hate themselves so much or think humanity is too weak; so they put all of their efforts into limiting the liberty of others.

I hate it too.  

My buddy struggles with Crohn’s disease and buys this Delta-8 and 9 stuff that helps him. Anyway, he hands me the Delta-9 gummy to try and I take the whole thing because I figured it’s not real. Holy shit was I wrong. Probably didn’t help that I was a few beers deep at the time. All of us guys had a great time, the wives… not so much. I’m shocked this is legal in Texas. 

Off topic, but I recently finished a story about Randy Lanier, the former Indy Rookie of the Year (1986) who got busted by the Feds and sent to prison. Really fascinating story about how much marijuana he moved (it was a lot apparently but I can't recall the exact amount of the charges which also included tax evasion, etc) while simultaneously competing as a race car driver. I had no idea the extent to which many drivers were doing that ala the way the shine boys did in the early days of prohibition. He got life w/o parole but then was released for reasons that have not been disclosed. Florida must have been a crazy place to be in the 80s.

30 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

My buddy struggles with Crohn’s disease and buys this Delta-8 and 9 stuff that helps him. Anyway, he hands me the Delta-9 gummy to try and I take the whole thing because I figured it’s not real. Holy shit was I wrong. Probably didn’t help that I was a few beers deep at the time. All of us guys had a great time, the wives… not so much. I’m shocked this is legal in Texas. 

Frustrated Will Ferrell GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

If it’s strong enough to where you and your boys had fun then the substance is probably in Bathroom dans crosshairs.

I hate that miserable fuck.

Give me gummies!

Gummies are extremely easy to get, regardless of the law.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Off topic, but I recently finished a story about Randy Lanier, the former Indy Rookie of the Year (1986) who got busted by the Feds and sent to prison. Really fascinating story about how much marijuana he moved (it was a lot apparently but I can't recall the exact amount of the charges which also included tax evasion, etc) while simultaneously competing as a race car driver. I had no idea the extent to which many drivers were doing that ala the way the shine boys did in the early days of prohibition. He got life w/o parole but then was released for reasons that have not been disclosed. Florida must have been a crazy place to be in the 80s.

It was like, 100,000 lbs a month or something ridiculous like that. They moved it in freighters to ports all over the country. It really was a crazy story. 

11 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/arkansas-supreme-court-says-votes-will-be-counted-for-marijuana-initiative-on-november-ballot/

Arkansas will be voting on recreational this election. Any guesses how it will go?  They’ve already legalized medicinal. Oklahoma was going to vote on recreational too, but the Prohibitionist’s succeeded in getting it delayed. I almost don’t mind them pushing it back to 2024 because the turnout will be higher, especially if trump is on the ballot. More people voting means more likely to pass. The GOP poll drones who would show up to a special election in January for Pete sake will probably be lame as fuck and vote no on it so we need infrequent voters to show up.

look up the 2018 Oklahoma primary. Turnout was way way up because of the initiative to legalize a very generous version of medicinal.

It wasn't the prohibitionists, their arguments were all stupid, it was the Secretary of State's office which failed to timely process the signatures. It was clearly intentional. The governor has a close race with the democrat on the ballot who is a former republican and current state superintendent of schools. The biggest issue around here is the governor's attempt to kill public education with his lacky who is now running for superintendent.  There's literally no other explanation for the delay in processing signatures. Like you said, 2018 had increased turnout because of medical mj, and Kendra Horn won a seat in the House representing OKC as a democrat. She's on the ballot now to take Inhofe's seat in the senate and is facing Markwayne Mullin who famously hid from Jan. 6 protesters then proclaimed their patriotism, like a lying fucking coward, and who is full qanon piece of human garbage (also carries a Cherokee card and called the Trail of Tears a "voluntary relocation").

We needed non straight-line voters to show up in droves to get these assholes out of office. It's still a close race for governor and state superintendent but we needed this to get over the hump. If Shitt wins reelection, and especially if his piece of shit education secretary becomes state superintendent, I might seriously move north somewhere. I can usually tune out the bullshit rhetoric, but I have two kids in elementary school and will not send them to private school for many reasons. If they succeed in killing off public ed, I can't avoid that, and it'll guarantee that big employers never even consider this place for business activities.  I can't even believe that this is cloak room and that he's probably still going to win. I hate this fucking place (I'm a native Texan and have no desire to move back there either for similar reasons).

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It wasn't the prohibitionists, their arguments were all stupid, it was the Secretary of State's office which failed to timely process the signatures. It was clearly intentional. The governor has a close race with the democrat on the ballot who is a former republican and current state superintendent of schools. The biggest issue around here is the governor's attempt to kill public education with his lacky who is now running for superintendent.  There's literally no other explanation for the delay in processing signatures. Like you said, 2018 had increased turnout because of medical mj, and Kendra Horn won a seat in the House representing OKC as a democrat. She's on the ballot now to take Inhofe's seat in the senate and is facing Markwayne Mullin who famously hid from Jan. 6 protesters then proclaimed their patriotism, like a lying fucking coward, and who is full qanon piece of human garbage (also carries a Cherokee card and called the Trail of Tears a "voluntary relocation").

We needed non straight-line voters to show up in droves to get these assholes out of office. It's still a close race for governor and state superintendent but we needed this to get over the hump. If Shitt wins reelection, and especially if his piece of shit education secretary becomes state superintendent, I might seriously move north somewhere. I can usually tune out the bullshit rhetoric, but I have two kids in elementary school and will not send them to private school for many reasons. If they succeed in killing off public ed, I can't avoid that, and it'll guarantee that big employers never even consider this place for business activities.  I can't even believe that this is cloak room and that he's probably still going to win. I hate this fucking place (I'm a native Texan and have no desire to move back there either for similar reasons).

Stitt is fucking terrible. I mean Fallon was incompetent, but stitt is a creep. He supports anti vax policies and he also stepped in to kill a provision that passed both the house and senate that would’ve allowed out of state folks to buy medical marijuana. 

Edited by Voldemort86

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 12:16 AM, Willfully Horn said:

Give me gummies!

nose-tap-taps-nose-nose-tap.gif

• Like 1

Gummies are extremely easy to get, regardless of the law.
Sure, I can even get it delivered, but limited strains and usually Sativa strains that are counterproductive for my needs- unwinding and sleep. Wrong strain and up for hours.

It's fucking stupid that I have to commit a felony by transporting weed back to Texas. Even dumber that I can buy Delta 8 Gummies and pre rolls at the corner store across the street from my kids High School and get stoned off my ass. But a little half dose gummy before bed? Illegal!

Legalizing at this point won't increase Marijuana use in Texas at All. It's everywhere. What it will do is allow people to use it more medically in a controlled way. Plus tax revenue stays here.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Sure, I can even get it delivered, but limited strains and usually Sativa strains that are counterproductive for my needs- unwinding and sleep. Wrong strain and up for hours.

It's fucking stupid that I have to commit a felony by transporting weed back to Texas. Even dumber that I can buy Delta 8 Gummies and pre rolls at the corner store across the street from my kids High School and get stoned off my ass. But a little half dose gummy before bed? Illegal!

Legalizing at this point won't increase Marijuana use in Texas at All. It's everywhere. What it will do is allow people to use it more medically in a controlled way. Plus tax revenue stays here.

Had this conversation with someone the other day. No one in Texas is more than 2 phone calls from being able to score weed. If you don't know someone that smokes, you know someone that knows someone. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Had this conversation with someone the other day. No one in Texas is more than 2 phone calls from being able to score weed. If you don't know someone that smokes, you know someone that knows someone. 
And Delta 8 is sold openly at fucking gas stations. It cannot get any easier to get stoned off your ass.
Getting strains you prefer is another matter.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The governors getting on board would be something. There is currently no one incarcerated solely on federal charges of simple possession according to the administration.

What's bad/great about this is that there's no way Abbott can support expunging the state records of mostly minorities without losing his base.  He's fucked. Hopefully.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

What's bad/great about this is that there's no way Abbott can support expunging the state records of mostly minorities without losing his base.  He's fucked. Hopefully.

abbott is a flow of the month type guy. If he sees some right groups getting on board with this, he’ll play along. Patrick is maga hard core, no way he’ll play along