Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's great news if you're a Texas fan. I hope football is doing the same thing. 

It also comes across as BWG being a complete bitch again. Instead of giving Beard any credit he's now pivoting to "he's just dirty." 

I mean, BWG effectively said it was a great thing as well. The dude leans into his shtick a little too much but there was really nothing wrong with this article. He's not wrong that Beard hasn't exactly been rumored to be Mr. Clean.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beard isn't clean and neither was Shaka. Texas was landing recruits (Mo Bamba and Jarrett Allen) over blue bloods similar to Beard is now. 

You never saw this clown write a long article about Shaka cheating. 

He's a troll. Everyone knows that to land recruits/transfers like Beard you have to get dirty. 

We don't need a long article highlighting that fact and BWG would have never written anything like that with Shaka (as you stated). It's  obvious that BWG is already pivoting to "Beard is a cheater" instead of just giving him credit for playing the game like Shaka also did. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

This guy has chosen the worst bit ever  for a quasi $9.95er.  

What did BWG say about Barnes back in the day?   I mean, now that the statute of limitations has run … isn’t Barnes one of the most obvious cheaters in college basketball?  From all the 5 stars he got here without much history, then the Findlay Prep and Toronto, Canada AAU pipelines, and now getting sketchy one and done 5 stars from the Southeast to Tennessee every year … am I taking crazy pills?   And it’s not like Shaka crapping the bed during the season and then beating Kentucky for a 5 star big man every year made sense, either.

Chris Beard must have done something to this guy.  Was BWG the butter waiter on that fateful evening?

He's a troll. 

BWG would use 5 stars as a reason Shaka "could recruit" and "why Texas fans are so wrong" with no mention of impropriety. Now that it's Beard it's not because he can recruit it's because "he's a major cheat." 

Oh we are bending the rules alright, what’s left of them anyway. It’s a little farther than before but it won’t matter anymore. The NCAA is done.

Barnes was “cheating” long before Ro Russell and Grassroots. That became his first real public situation you could no longer defend. 

To pivot this discussion a bit, because we are in agreement that Beard is either continuing the rule bending of his predecessors or taking it to the next level, can we assume that this will be the model for football. I mean if we are truly stepping up , I have to think cdc is aware or at least signaling that he is ok being ignorant of it. If so, is this a test case for what we can and will do for the football program where it is sorely needed?  Is football held on such a mantel that it is off limits for such actions?  Is it a case of the proper alumni doing what they need to do in basketball but not  football?

thoughts welcome 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

To pivot this discussion a bit, because we are in agreement that Beard is either continuing the rule bending of his predecessors or taking it to the next level, can we assume that this will be the model for football. I mean if we are truly stepping up , I have to think cdc is aware or at least signaling that he is ok being ignorant of it. If so, is this a test case for what we can and will do for the football program where it is sorely needed?  Is football held on such a mantel that it is off limits for such actions?  Is it a case of the proper alumni doing what they need to do in basketball but not  football?

thoughts welcome 

This is different because it isn't coming from the athletic program or specifically Texas boosters. Maligi and Howard have been dropping bags for years and years and have their own networks. Same with the guy who pulls the Canada players whose name I'm blanking on.  So I don't think there's any takeaway from Beard's activity for football, which is also shown by the guys we're whiffing on there.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is different because it isn't coming from the athletic program or specifically Texas boosters. Maligi and Howard have been dropping bags for years and years and have their own networks. Same with the guy who pulls the Canada players whose name I'm blanking on.  So I don't think there's any takeaway from Beard's activity for football, which is also shown by the guys we're whiffing on there.

Appreciate the comments. Money has to come from somewhere, though. Presumably from someone with a vested interest in Texas being successful. No way that these coaches just up and transfer bag dropping to any school they go to. 

as I write this my guess is you are talking shoe money which isn’t school specific and explains my above questions

hopes of being good in football now squashed

It was rumored that Beard hated being at an Under Armour school and wanted to be at a Nike school. 

I read/heard that several places but it was all rumor mill type stuff. Maybe Gerry Hamilton knows if it's true. We're obviously cheating with Maligi and Howard on staff. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

People who continue to bitch about BWG are just as bad as BWG

He sucks. What do you expect on a Texas fan forum?

Texas finally has a good basketball coach and that guy continues to be a fucktard. Of course Texas fans are going to bitch about him and they should. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He sucks. What do you expect on a Texas fan forum?

Texas finally has a good basketball coach and that guy continues to be a fucktard. Of course Texas fans are going to bitch about him and they should. 

I guess I expect more of you all to not be retarded and get baited by his dog shit posting and stories.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

Do I think BWG has some kind of bone to pick with Beard? Yup.

Do I think that article was terribly biased against him? Not really and just by omission rather than actually writing anti-Beard stuff. The dude and his staff are bag game superstars and that's ok.

Look, he writes free articles and actually works to include some jokes (of varying quality) and make them fun to read. If there are other UTMBB writers that aren't either beat writer drones or basketball Ian Boyds I'd love to amplify them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Do I think that article was terribly biased against him? Not really and just by omission rather than actually writing anti-Beard stuff. The dude and his staff are bag game superstars and that's ok.

Look, he writes free articles and actually works to include some jokes (of varying quality) and make them fun to read. If there are other UTMBB writers that aren't either beat writer drones or basketball Ian Boyds I'd love to amplify them.

To me, he's a cunt, so I'm not giving him clicks, follows, etc

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Long live Ryan Clark

https://web.archive.org/web/20200208095714/http://www.longhornroadtrip.com/

52 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I thought the point of substack was to charge to read your articles?

52 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is the aspect of NIL that from the very first discussion of it I was surprised more people didn't see this beneficial fallout from it.

"It took players about a nanosecond to setup online shops where they could endorse products, send birthday shout-outs to strangers, print t-shirts, tattoo a vape shop Venmo on their neck, or whatever else they could think of, and good for them. Across every sport, there are players cashing in on their fame in myriad ways, it’s a cash grab with immediate and profound impacts, and it has in significant ways leveled the field for college programs to compete against early entry into the professional world. A player than can clear a $2000-5000/month in endorsements is marginally less desperate to get to the next level to start getting paid, and for a famous freshman whose game/abilities may not be tailor-made for the next level - I’m thinking here of a player who might be a mid/late second-round pick in the NBA - it’s possible a program with the proper levers to pull with local businesses & boosters could drop an extra-nice endorsement deal in their laps to help tip the scales to keep a talent around 1 year longer than they otherwise might have. (This is technically not allowed in the current NCAA landscape, but we’ll get to that shortly.) The lottery picks are going to leave because they should leave to make seven figures, but the fringe NBA prospects are suddenly somewhat more persuadable to get on campus in the first place and possibly stay around a little longer. This is a net-win for high-major college programs, plus they got to watch the NCAA take it in the shorts in front of the world. Just an all-around great situation for everybody not working at NCAA HQ."

This was clear as day to me at the very instance momentum started building for NIL. Somebody like Isaiah Taylor or J'Covan Brown doesn't leave a year early with NIL on the table. Shit you may even guys like Joseph Ossai and Connor Williams would possibly be persuadable if their first round grade prospects turned as flimsy as they ended up being in the end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This guy has chosen the worst bit ever  for a quasi $9.95er.  

What did BWG say about Barnes back in the day?   I mean, now that the statute of limitations has run … isn’t Barnes one of the most obvious cheaters in college basketball?  From all the 5 stars he got here without much history, then the Findlay Prep and Toronto, Canada AAU pipelines, and now getting sketchy one and done 5 stars from the Southeast to Tennessee every year … am I taking crazy pills?  

And it’s not like Shaka crapping the bed during the season and then beating Kentucky for a 5 star big man every year made sense, either.  And wasn’t it a former Shaka assistant caught on wiretaps arranging payments for LSU recruits?

Chris Beard must have done something to this guy.  Was BWG the butter waiter on that fateful evening?

I follow basketball recruiting about 5% as much as I follow football recruiting, but I thought it was just common knowledge that bball recruiting is dirty as fuck and the dirtiness is way more pervasive than it is for football. In other words, literally every major program plays the game when necessary, including Texas going back to at least Barnes if not before. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Also it’s pretty common knowledge that Durant was heavily paid for with Nike pitching in to get him here.

True but he wanted to come here too, it was a happy coincidence we could make the $ happen. 
still, better money has rarely been spent in the last decade of UT big 3 sports

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Of course Texas has played the game going back to Barnes. That Canadian pipeline from Findlay Prep was sketch as hell 

It was well known that Bamba had a handler (Greer Love). Mo Bamba's own brother said Greer was his agent and that Bamba was getting paid. The NCAA ended up clearing the relationship because it was preexisting back to when Bamba was a young kid. 

Funny enough, Greer Love is now a NBA agent and Bamba's agent. Total coincidence I know. 

Of course BWG never really discussed this stuff like he did with Beard because he's a bitch. 

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It was well known that Bamba had a handler (Greer Love). Mo Bamba's own brother said Greer was his agent and that Bamba was getting paid. The NCAA ended up clearing the relationship because it was preexisting back to when Bamba was a young kid. 

Funny enough, Greer Love is now a NBA agent and Bamba's agent. Total coincidence I know. 

Of course BWG never really discussed this stuff like he did with Beard because he's a bitch. 

How has Bamba been doing in the league?

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How has Bamba been doing in the league?

Career stats

Year
Team
GP
Min
Pts
FG%
3pt%
Reb
Ast
Stl
Blk

Career

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

16 minutes a game as a 3rd year player on one of the worst teams in the league is not great, Bob

It also didn't help that

1. Bamba had COVID, and then the symptoms lingered afterwards for a long while

2. They had the NBA equivalent of Jeff Fisher as their coach

3. As one of the worst teams in the league, they decided to roll with Vucevic instead of developing young players.

With Vucevic traded and Bamba maybe healthy, it will be interesting to see if he can show some of the improved form he showed down the stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

There’s a sect of our fan base that wishes we’d continue to lose in major sports so we can claim that it’s only because we’re not playing the recruiting game. They’d rather play the holier than thou card than accept that we’re just like trashy SEC schools playing the game to win. 

I think you are wrong but there is a portion of our fanbase that is giving up on college athletics because of the grift/graft.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not lofty at all.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-way-too-early-preseason-top-25-for-2021-22-04-05-2021/ 

2. Texas
Gone: G Matt Coleman (Sr., 13.2 ppg), F Greg Brown (NBA, Fr., 9.3 ppg), C Jericho Sims (NBA, Sr., 9.2 ppg), F Kai Jones (NBA, Soph., 8.8 ppg) G Donovan Williams (Transferring to UNLV, Soph., 3.3 ppg), F Kamaka Kepa (Transferring to Hawaii, Jr., 2.9 ppg), F Gerald Liddell (Transferring to Alabama, Jr., 2.1 ppg), F Will Baker (Transferring to Nevada, Soph., 2.1 ppg), F Royce Hamm (Transferring to UNLV, Sr., 1.9 ppg)
Back: G Andrew Jones (RS Jr., 14.6 ppg), G Courtney Ramey (Jr., 12.2 ppg), G Jase Febres (Sr., 5.2 ppg), F Brock Cunningham (Soph., 1.6 ppg)
Add: Jaylon Tyson (No. 35)
Transfer Adds: G Marcus Carr (Minnesota, Jr., 19.4 ppg, 4.9 apg), C Tre Mitchell (UMass, Soph., 18.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg), F Timmy Allen (Utah, Jr., 17.2 ppg), F Dylan Disu (Vanderbilt, Soph., 15.0 ppg, 9.2 rpg), F Christian Bishop (Creighton, Jr., 11.0 ppg), PG Devin Askew (Kentucky, Fr., 6.5 ppg)

Chris Beard and his staff brought two double-digit scorers back to Austin in Jones and Ramey, and added six top transfers. The point guard spot will be key and whether Askew can be a front-line floor leader or Beard uses Carr or Ramey in that role, but there’s enough talent in Austin to go with one of the best coaches in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

There’s a sect of our fan base that wishes we’d continue to lose in major sports so we can claim that it’s only because we’re not playing the recruiting game. They’d rather play the holier than thou card than accept that we’re just like trashy SEC schools playing the game to win. 

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think you are wrong but there is a portion of our fanbase that is giving up on college athletics because of the grift/graft.

I think those two people y’all are describing are the same person 

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Not lofty at all.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-way-too-early-preseason-top-25-for-2021-22-04-05-2021/ 

2. Texas
Gone: G Matt Coleman (Sr., 13.2 ppg), F Greg Brown (NBA, Fr., 9.3 ppg), C Jericho Sims (NBA, Sr., 9.2 ppg), F Kai Jones (NBA, Soph., 8.8 ppg) G Donovan Williams (Transferring to UNLV, Soph., 3.3 ppg), F Kamaka Kepa (Transferring to Hawaii, Jr., 2.9 ppg), F Gerald Liddell (Transferring to Alabama, Jr., 2.1 ppg), F Will Baker (Transferring to Nevada, Soph., 2.1 ppg), F Royce Hamm (Transferring to UNLV, Sr., 1.9 ppg)
Back: G Andrew Jones (RS Jr., 14.6 ppg), G Courtney Ramey (Jr., 12.2 ppg), G Jase Febres (Sr., 5.2 ppg), F Brock Cunningham (Soph., 1.6 ppg)
Add: Jaylon Tyson (No. 35)
Transfer Adds: G Marcus Carr (Minnesota, Jr., 19.4 ppg, 4.9 apg), C Tre Mitchell (UMass, Soph., 18.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg), F Timmy Allen (Utah, Jr., 17.2 ppg), F Dylan Disu (Vanderbilt, Soph., 15.0 ppg, 9.2 rpg), F Christian Bishop (Creighton, Jr., 11.0 ppg), PG Devin Askew (Kentucky, Fr., 6.5 ppg)

Chris Beard and his staff brought two double-digit scorers back to Austin in Jones and Ramey, and added six top transfers. The point guard spot will be key and whether Askew can be a front-line floor leader or Beard uses Carr or Ramey in that role, but there’s enough talent in Austin to go with one of the best coaches in the country.

LOL Carr will be the point guard.

Ramey will not be.  Askew will back up Carr.

If Ramey is running point, something has gone wrong in that game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL Carr will be the point guard.

Ramey will not be.  Askew will back up Carr.

If Ramey is running point, something has gone wrong in that game. 

I could see Askew and Carr in the game together at times but the starting lineup should be Carr and Jones.

Ramey’s definitely more boom or bust, but I would bet Ramey to win out over Jones at SG. Ramey’s a better defender and more talented overall and a coach that can reign him in will make him a better player than Jones. But I also wouldn’t be shocked to see him be a headcase and fall out of favor quickly. The great thing is our team is too talented for malcontents to keep getting minutes. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1