Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So can someone explain to me again who bitter guy is. If I recall correctly he is a techtard that hates Beard for leaving him?

Basketball blogger that is prominent because nobody really writes about Texas basketball that got known for writing on one/both of the SBNation sites. Defended Shaka way too hard and long and hates Beard for his style of play which is fair if you're going from a good offensive coach to him but we're not.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

Basketball blogger that is prominent because nobody really writes about Texas basketball that got known for writing on one/both of the SBNation sites. Defended Shaka way too hard and long and hates Beard for his style of play which is fair if you're going from a good offensive coach to him but we're not.

Yeah I think BWG was looking forward to the possibility that we'd get an offense-first coach, but in his defense BWG has hated both Beard's style and theatrics since he first showed up at Tech, so the disdain there isn't anything new. However, the hate for Beard after 6 years of the scorched earth defense of Smart is hard to swallow. As for offensive coaches available I don't know that there were really any potential candidates out there other than Beilein. Guys like Mussleman and Nate Oates had just as much potential to throw up offensive stinkers on bad shooting nights as Smart. People pretend their offenses are diametrically different than Smart's but after 30 games of watching Longhorn teams coached by them chunk up forty plus 3s a game fans would've soured on them eventually provided there wasn't consistent success. 

I like the fact that Beard is actively embracing the student body and I never understood why Smart didn't attempt the same. College basketball more than any other sport gains a clear advantage from a raucous crowd, so it serves a coach's interest to get the students on their side and excited about the product from the onset. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MoJames said:

So can someone explain to me again who bitter guy is. If I recall correctly he is a techtard that hates Beard for leaving him?

he's a holier than thou dipshit who is somehow more long winded than i am, only with none of my (or anyone else with a pulse's) knowledge or understanding of the game. he spent much of the last six years talking down to anyone who was critical of Shaka, claiming that everyone else besides him was wrong about Shaka, and that the rest of us just don't understand the game on the same level that he does. he actually said that. to this day he claims Shaka actually did build something great at Texas, and that if only the ACU loss hadn't happened then we all would have seen how right he had been this whole time. 

also he looks like a mix of Ben Shapiro and Ethan from H3H3.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

to this day he claims Shaka actually did build something great at Texas, and that if only the ACU loss hadn't happened then we all would have seen how right he had been this whole time. 

Sounds like he'd make a great Aggy.  Shaka didn't suck--6 years wasn't enough time to win a single NCAA Tourney game.

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I forgot about Avery Benson. How good is he? Also, Cunningham seems a lot taller than Allen. Are they listed that way on the roster? For some reason I thought Cunningham was shorter. Looks like 6'9 6'8 6'6 6'2 for the end of the row.

Devin Askew #5 and Courtney Ramey #3 are both listed at 6’3”…

I don’t know what their heights are, but even getting beyond Askew’s hair, Askew is at least 2 inches taller than Ramey.

You combine the extra legs in the photo with the extra height from their seats up and even with a shaved head, Askew is much taller. 

9E9CFC1A-6980-4EA3-82FD-17EFB379FE20.jpeg

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Devin Askew #5 and Courtney Ramey #3 are both listed at 6’3”…

I don’t know what their heights are, but even getting beyond Askew’s hair, Askew is at least 2 inches taller than Ramey.

You combine the extra legs in the photo with the extra height from their seats up and even with a shaved head, Askew is much taller. 

9E9CFC1A-6980-4EA3-82FD-17EFB379FE20.jpeg

Hard to compare sitting height. Ramey is an easy 6-3 though, mostly legs. Met him on Bevo Blvd earlier this year.

Edited by Atticus

Just now, Atticus said:

Hard to compare sitting height. Ramey is an easy 6-3 though, mostly legs.

It’s easy to compare sitting height if the legs seem longer and the upper body is also longer. 

It is difficult to guess exact heights though. 

Also, Askew should be starting his freshman year this fall, so maybe he is still growing a bit. 

9 hours ago, RabidM said:

We beat Houston Baptist by 44 tonight. @ #1 Gonzaga is next.  Huge game.  If we look good or win... look out.  

After the way Baylor drubbed them with "small ball" last spring I'm somewhat hopeful, even though Gonzaga is obviously elite, it's in their gym and our guys have only been together for a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 2:52 PM, longhornmatt said:

My way too early, mostly uninformed, “show me a loss” sunshine pumping side wants me to say Arterio Morris is the most talented recruit we’ve landed since at least Myles Turner, and possibly since Durant.   This guy could be an NBA All Star someday.   He has Russell Westbrook / John Wall type size and explosiveness.  

I know he’s rated 20-30 in the nation on the recruiting services, but there’s more elite potential in him than a number of guys we’ve had who were top 10ish prospects (like Bradley, Hamilton, Corey Joseph, Greg Brown, even Bamba).   He’s probably more raw than the guys who play at the big prep schools, but there are not many guys at any level with his physical gifts who can play PG and get to any spot they want off the dribble.

Morris should be ranked higher and I think he will be eventually. Maybe even a top 10 national recruit by the end of the cycle. 

Morris cooked Nick Smith at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest who is the #8 composite recruit in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Quick note on five-star basketball signee Arterio Morris

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Quick note on five-star basketball signee Arterio Morris

Nick Harris

Multiple sources have indicated that Texas signee and Dallas Kimball five-star point guard Arterio Morris is expected to receive an offer from the NBA G-League at the conclusion of his senior season. While he is signed to Texas, he can choose to forgo his college eligibility for one year in the G-League Ignite program which provides salary and NBA development to top high school prospects. An NBA source says that Morris will be one of the league's top targets in the winter/early spring.

This will be something to monitor. While Morris has stated in the past that he plans on going to Texas for at least one season, it will not be certain until he declines the offer. This will be something that will develop once the offer is made.

image.thumb.png.b1d3e3faac99fdeea9b6935296238548.png

• 3 weeks later...

Cross posting this from the basketball forum. 

Everyone is going to talk about Arterio Morris in this recruiting class but it's looking like Mitchell is also a top 20 caliber recruit. Won MVP at a major tournament during the Christmas break. 

The athleticism is about to see significant improvement with Morris and Mitchell. They might be better athletes than anybody on the current roster. 

• Hook 'Em 7