Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel like if you enter the portal you hear from Texas. It’s like a scholarship offer from Alabama. 

Nah, Texas has appeared a small fraction of the amount of times I've seen Georgetown/LSU/Aggy get mentioned as showing interest, we only post the Texas for obvious reasons. I've actually been surprised at how few of players we're looking at

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Rumor is Nawf carolina for Hunter and they offered nearly a $1 million NIL deal.  If that’s true (pure speculation at this point), then schools like ISU are fucked.

Is this just now dawning on you, Pancho? This is the reason Texas had to leave for the SEC. The NCAA is going to be dead soon. There will be a new boss writing the rules. That new boss will be agreed upon by the big money schools. The schools in the Big 12 can't afford the new college sports landscape, other than KU in basketball, and even then they need to get to another conference pronto. 

There is no salary cap in college sports. There's no way to really even measure the athletes' compensation. It's the wild wild west. People are going to look back at A&M breaking the bank for their football recruiting class with nostalgia at how naive we all were regarding the future costs of putting an elite team together. 

Once the power schools break from the NCAA permanently there's going to be a 16 team college football playoff, and the men's basketball tournament will have a new overseer that will divide the money the way they see fit. There's going to be a lot more funding for non revenue sports. And the amounts involved will dwarf what we're seeing now, because at the end of the day content providers need live programming that people will watch in real time so they can sell ads effectively. I'd say three years from now, tops, if not sooner. 

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Maybe, but I think it kind of sucks that he is leaving. I thought he had a decent role on the team.

He saw the writing on the wall with the likely return of Carr and Morris coming in. He wasn't going to get much more PT next year than he did this year. Not to mention Texas reaching out to multiple PG/CG types in the portal.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

He saw the writing on the wall with the likely return of Carr and Morris coming in. He wasn't going to get much more PT next year than he did this year. Not to mention Texas reaching out to multiple PG/CG types in the portal.

Yeah, he is being recruited over. I thought he was a pretty good backup though and played well enough in that role. He seemed to steady things when he came in.

On the one hand Beard needs pure shooters as well as guys who can break down their defender off the dribble.

On the other hand Beard needs taller guards who can switch effectively.

My thought is he'd better recruit to defense first, because if he doesn't he's going to make everyone unhappy when he doesn't play them in the fall after they get beat on defense a couple of times. I watched Andrew Jones and Tre Mitchell both get limited minutes at times last year because they weren't defending effectively. Then Beard would make some mildly snarky comments about their defense at post game press conferences when they were featured players. It was always said in jest, but....

As far as Askew, I was hoping he'd stick around. I wanted to see how he developed. Also, the more players that return the better it is for continuity. Conversely, the fewer players that return the more it has to be created all over. I know Beard is comfortable with chaos. 

I'm also not sure why Carr is probably returning. Don't get me wrong. I'd be glad if he did. But what part of his game that will help him professionally (not talking NBA, more overseas) is he going to demonstrably improve at Texas staying for another year? 

It will be interesting to see what Disu decides. That will bum me out if he chooses to enter the portal. 

26 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

On the one hand Beard needs pure shooters as well as guys who can break down their defender off the dribble.

On the other hand Beard needs taller guards who can switch effectively.

My thought is he'd better recruit to defense first, because if he doesn't he's going to make everyone unhappy when he doesn't play them in the fall after they get beat on defense a couple of times. I watched Andrew Jones and Tre Mitchell both get limited minutes at times last year because they weren't defending effectively. Then Beard would make some mildly snarky comments about their defense at post game press conferences when they were featured players. It was always said in jest, but....

As far as Askew, I was hoping he'd stick around. I wanted to see how he developed. Also, the more players that return the better it is for continuity. Conversely, the fewer players that return the more it has to be created all over. I know Beard is comfortable with chaos. 

I'm also not sure why Carr is probably returning. Don't get me wrong. I'd be glad if he did. But what part of his game that will help him professionally (not talking NBA, more overseas) is he going to demonstrably improve at Texas staying for another year? 

It will be interesting to see what Disu decides. That will bum me out if he chooses to enter the portal. 

I met a friend of his today. His friend says that he is happy at UT. I guess we will see.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:21 PM, Napoleon said:

I’m watching SNL and Lizzo & Tubs are so big, I decide to scroll Surly and then I come across this guy.  He could be a dancer for Lizzo. 

I wonder if they do their Insulin shots before or after their performance.

• Haha 1