Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Carr is a much more efficient scorer when he's off ball. His issue is creating shots and getting good looks. 

It's why Hunter is such a big deal. 

I'm not sure what you're basing that on.  His career stats are pretty consistent.  His scoring average only goes up when he takes a lot more shots... but his FG% is terrible in all years. 

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

I'm not sure what you're basing that on.  His career stats are pretty consistent.  His scoring average only goes up when he takes a lot more shots... but his FG% is terrible in all years. 

It was obvious last year. Carr was at his best when he was playing the 2. 

Do you think Beard just randomly decided to add a PG so Carr could play more off the ball?

Carr was a 34% 3 point shooter last year while having to create his own shot way too often. Is it that wild to think he can't tick up to 36 or 37% while playing off the ball more often? 

As was stated above, he is a good fit for Beard's defensive system, is a good leader and is one of the few guys on the roster who can pile up point in a hurry if he catches fire.

He has started a billion games in college at this point, is reliable from the free throw line (77%) and responded numerous times last year when we needed him. I want him on this team and playing 25-30 minutes a game without question.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So you've decided that offensive efficiency metrics are FG% and PPG. Got it. 

I didn't say those are the only metrics. It's just the glaringly obvious problem with this particular player.  But I'm sure there's a long list of high volume shooters who didn't shoot 40% from the field, but were still offensively efficient.  I'd love to see that list.

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I can see both sides on Carr. He was frustrating to watch for most of the year, but I feel like that was only partially on him, partially on Beard, and partially on team dynamics. It was a brand new roster with no real post scoring threat, and no one who could attack the basket off the dribble, including Carr himself. It wasn't a great 3 point shooting team - somewhat surprisingly, frankly - even though the offense was good at producing really good looks from outside. Beard also isn't a huge fan of a transition game, preferring to keep players on defense and bring the ball up deliberately rather than release anyone for a fast break. 

That said, Carr is not capable of beating his defender off the dribble to attack the basket. He is good at getting off decent looks at the basket when he drives right and pulls up for a mid range jump shot, but that's not a great way to base an offense on compared to getting to the paint or firing from BTA. But between Carr and Allen, often that's what we were left with unless someone like Andrew Jones went unconscious - which wasn't reliable at all. 

What Carr was reliable as, was as a team leader and teammate. He was also reliable on defense in important ways, given all the switching Texas does. Febres and Jones were consistently weak links in the back court on switches in ways Carr never was. In terms of culture continuity and establishing Texas as a great place to be, Carr coming back for a super senior season along with Bishop and Allen sets a tone that's extremely important. 

I don't think moving Carr off the ball is some kind of magic solution for the people who weren't enamored of his play style last year. I also question how happy Carr will be with this move, even if he doesn't say anything publicly. His best pro prospects are as a PG, never mind he doesn't really have the skill set for it after 4 years at the position at 3 different power 6 programs. But if he can at least pretend to be on board with a more supporting role, with Hunter and Morris as the chief guys initiating the offense, I don't see any way he's not an asset. He's a capable 3 point shooter, if not elite. He can get off a decent shot just about any time he wants in the mid range. While not ideal, it's not nothing. He's accustomed to being the primary ballhandler. He turned the ball over less than 2 times per game last year. 

The biggest things Carr brings is program continuity and culture. That's an intangible very difficult to quantify on a stat sheet, but they're arguably more vital, especially in only the second season of Beard's reign. Also, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss his performance against Purdue. There were many times Carr stepped up when he was needed, especially late in the year. That's not a bad thing. It doesn't make sense to relegate it to meaningless because it's claimed to be such an outlier.

Personally, I'm glad to have Carr back. I liked him more than others last season. I feel like the expectations for him were out of whack based on his portal ranking. If Carr hadn't been the primary initiator for the offense last year, the team would have been much worse, even if he was flawed in the role. 

This is where I am; he’s not perfect by any means, but we’re a better team with him on the roster than we would be without him…

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Bitterwhiteguy's hate for Beard is just flat out weird. He's not even a Texas fan anymore and actively roots against the program.

I accidentally subscribed to his podcast last year when I was looking up Longhorn related content. I listened to one and unsubscribed. Listening to that is like continually punching yourself in the balls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

This isn’t 2022, but a name to keep an eye on for 2023 is Brandon Garrison out of Del City, OK. 6’9 205lb with a high motor. Texas offered the first week in May. Trying to set up an official visit for the fall.

High motor kid with a raw game on the offensive side. Ranked in the 70s nationally. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

I accidentally subscribed to his podcast last year when I was looking up Longhorn related content. I listened to one and unsubscribed. Listening to that is like continually punching yourself in the balls.

He's such a tool. Dude has been tweeting for weeks about how good Hunter is and the moment he commits to Beard it's a different narrative. 

Fuck that idiot. 

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Carr was a 34% 3 point shooter last year while having to create his own shot way too often. Is it that wild to think he can't tick up to 36 or 37% while playing off the ball more often? 

Funny thing about stats...

9 for 18 on 2pt shots - 50% shooter = 18pts

6 for 18 on 3pt shots - 33% shooter =18pts

Maybe Carr should shoot more 3's  😋

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Seems good. 

Chris Paul was a 47% shooter from BTA, and a 84% shooter from the free throw line. Hunter is a 27% shooter from BTA, and a 68% shooter from the free throw line. I like the inferred Chris Paul comparison, especially on defense. Hunter is an excellent addition. But he’s not the shooter Paul was out of high school or in his freshman season. Doesn’t mean he isn’t great, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Chris Paul was a 47% shooter from BTA, and a 84% shooter from the free throw line. Hunter is a 27% shooter from BTA, and a 68% shooter from the free throw line. I like the inferred Chris Paul comparison, especially on defense. Hunter is an excellent addition. But he’s not the shooter Paul was out of high school or in his freshman season. Doesn’t mean he isn’t great, though. 

I would have never guessed that Chris Paul had 10 blocks his freshman year. It’s a pretty random set of criteria though. 😂

Just now, Irieguy said:

I would have never guessed that Chris Paul had 10 blocks his freshman year. It’s a pretty random set of criteria though. 😂

My thought exactly. That’s some database fu right there. Baseball statisticians are impressed. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:56 PM, RabidM said:

I actually wish Carr hadn't come back. He's a horrible shooter. He only scores lots of points as a volume shooter and he's really inefficient doing it.  He's not particularly physically imposing on either end.  I mean... I'd rather Carr go pro or transfer.  Keep Morris. 

Carr played his best ball down the stretch and in the tournament. if that guy comes back then this post will age like milk. 

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I'd like to address bitterwhiteguy for a bit.

First of all, I haven't been around to read all his musings on Shaka Smart over the 6 years Smart was the head coach, so I don't have that bit of scarring to deal with - which I would have if I had bothered to read his stuff during that time, because I was done with Smart midway through year 2, and only saw confirmation of what I'd seen up to that point for the next 4 1/2 years.

bitterwhiteguy and I have very different takes on being a fan and follower of the team. bitterwhiteguy - at least what I've read and heard on his podcasts - likes to pontificate from the perspective of if he was running the program. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of fans do exactly the same kind of thing, whether it's running the program, playing as quarterback, being the playcaller, what have you. Heck, I do it, too.

But I tend to prefer to try to put myself inside the coaches shoes, figure out what they're thinking, what their priorities are, how they're approaching the team/game, and then come to grips with it as a fan. I find it relieves some of the frustration that thinking as if you're the head person and what you would do instead produces in people, although it's certainly not perfect. I'd also emphasize that everyone needs to figure out their own way of being a fan. I'm not telling you how to follow sports. I'm simply explaining a fundamental dichotomy I see between BWG and me.

BWG feels strongly Beard needs to run a better offense. He feels like Beard needs to do a better job of managing the roster for the future. He feels like Beard runs off too many players. You see elements of all of these in the above post. These are BWG's priorities. He is entitled to them. Now I will shift the perspective to Beard, and talk about how misplaced they are (which to BWG's credit, he acknowledges in this post: https://bitterwhiteguy.substack.com/p/shooting-from-the-offseason-a-review?utm_source=%2Fprofile%2F15571326-bitterwhiteguy&utm_medium=reader2&s=r

Beard's identity is built around defense. It always has been. It always will be. If someone is expecting Beard to start running secondary breaks off of made baskets, they're kidding themselves. He's not going to value the kinds of players he would have to recruit to build that kind of team. He's not going to field offenses that give players a ton of freedom to create. He's going to TALK like he will, and he might even want to in his mind, but his defensive proclivities, his need to micromanage, and his severe allergic reactions to poor shooting and turnovers will never allow him. If that sounds like a frustrating future for you as a Texas fan, you should take Clayton Williams' advice, sit back and relax, and learn to enjoy it. 

Playing time at Texas will be dictated by how well can you defend switching on screens. As a player, upon reaching the 40 acres you will enter a brainwashing tube, so that when you come out, every time you address the media or fans you will talk about how the team's identity is built on defense. If the media does too much fawning of a player during press conferences regarding their offensive proclivities, either during a game or referring to their career, Beard will swiftly interject to say something about how they don't turn the ball over, or how good they played on defense. It's practically like clockwork. Both Tre Mitchell and Andrew Jones had issues earning more minutes - specifically early in the season for Jones - because they weren't playing well enough on defense. BWG wants to argue how Texas needs shooters on this roster. I don't disagree with him. @shadow_operative who I have 1000x more respect for as a basketball analysis than BWG, has made that very point several times. But what I'd argue is what's the point of bringing in a shooter if they can't be effective on switches the way Beard demands (And he DEMANDS it. Loudly, vociferously, in your face style. He is very comfortable making the people around him feel uncomfortable). Because they are simply not going to see the floor enough to make a difference. They're going to make Beard unhappy when they're out on the floor, and they're going to be miserable playing at Texas. Honestly, that's Mosley. He's a very good shooter, although it's unclear how it translates to the Power 6 level. What's undeniable is he's not all that great of an athlete, which makes it harder to envision him getting in Beard's good graces enough for anyone involved to be happy.

The idea that Tyrese Hunter is Marcus Carr - as @HtownHorn has already alluded to in many fewer words than me - is ludicrous. Carr is a better shooter with a better midrange game. Carr is 3" taller. Carr is several years older and better physically developed. Carr also can't take his guy off the dribble and consistently get into the paint. Hunter can. Carr can't dunk the ball. Hunter can with ease. Carr isn't the on the ball defender Hunter is. Carr is not necessarily a weakness, but Hunter has quick twitch hands and excellent anticipation on and off the ball. 

People constantly talk about defenses sagging and going under screens with poor shooting teams. And you know what? That's a legitimate gripe. But Hunter is the quickest PG we've had since TJ Ford, who also couldn't shoot from outside worth a crap. I am NOT saying Hunter is as good as TJ Ford. He's nowhere close. Ford was Allen Iverson quick. That's simply not a bar Hunter is going to achieve. What I am saying is that Hunter can still put pressure on defenses by taking defenders off the dribble and getting to the basket in ways Carr couldn't, no matter what defense is being employed. I would argue on offense that was UT's BIGGEST weakness last year - the inability to take defenders off the dribble. Bringing in Rice, Morris, Dillon Mitchell, and Hunter addresses that in a HUGE way. Sure, someone is going to have to hit some threes, but being able to drive the basket, and either kick, pass to another player under or around the basket, or draw the foul/get inside the paint points is going to feel like a revelation after watching the offense last year, where it felt like scoring inside the paint was against the rules. Oh, and we'll actually see some players dunk with some regularity now, too, rather than all the missed bunnies from last year. Sure, Carr and Allen still won't be able to, but Rice/Morris/Mitchell/Hunter all can. Mitchell will be one of the best dunkers in all of college basketball as a true freshman.

The last thing is roster construction, which BWG goes into detail regarding Hunter. Let's be really clear about this. Beard doesn't give a shit about roster construction for the future. If that's the hill BWG chooses to die on, I wish him and his torn out entrails god speed. The man is proud of the job he did at a series of short term jobs where roster construction on the fly was part of what made him successful. When you hear him talking about the transfer portal and NIL, he's the br'er rabbit about to be thrown in the br'er patch. Probably Chris Beard's greatest strength - and he has a lot of them - is his overriding sense of urgency. His unrelenting intensity also demands that sense of urgency from everyone around him. It can be exhausting to work for someone like that, but they're also more capable of bringing out the best in the people around them - if they don't run as fast as they can to be away from it. 

Every year he's going to go out and try to get the best players he can, whether in high school or transfers. What he'll be looking for is a work ethic, specifically on the defensive side. He's going to look for athleticism and length. He's not going to care about the amount of eligibility they have left, or what they'll look like 3 years from now. That's not his mindset. He's going to grab the most talented players he can who fit that template. He'll try to sell everyone into buying into the team concept, with positionless players who can all bring the ball up the floor, shoot from the perimeter and mid range, and the best 5 will play regardless of some kind of pre-defined position. I think some of this is going to end up being bullshit, because it's not realistic to have a team where anyone can bring it up the floor, regardless of how much Beard likes spouting that line. 

And then he's going to employ a defense that will always be among the country's leaders, with an offense that emphasizes efficiency with low turnovers and deliberate shot selection. The next year rinse and repeat. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, I get it. Different strokes for different folks. After the 6 years of Shaka Smart, I'm all for it. I think this is an excellent formula for having consistent NCAA tournament success. I don't know how many national championships it will bring, but one would increase the amount this program has won in its history by an infinite percentage. Regularly making Sweet 16s and only losing in the first round in a blue moon would send me into dreamland, basketball fan-wise. Which is the journey I feel like we're embarking on for as long as Beard is at the helm. 

Don't know if BWG can ever get on board with any of that. And, frankly, I don't really care. I am grateful for spurring on basketball discussion. Like the saying goes, if you want help on the internet, don't post a question. Post the wrong answer. You'll get people leaping over themselves to tell you how wrong you are and why. I feel like this is what BWG has done with his takes on Beard the entire time. So there's an element of gratitude about that. 

picard too long didnt read GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

“Don’t get me wrong - he’s quite good!”

Bitterwhiteguy is such a fucking dweeb. He was on twitter arguing the biggest reason Kansas wanted Hunter was because he's such an incredible on ball defender. That doesn't change dependent on fit or style of play.

I'm way too old to let other fans affect my regularly misguided thoughts on any Texas team or player. I just want them to play and carry themselves in a way that makes me proud they're in our uniform. They won't always win titles, but I've long since grown accustomed to that reality. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Arterio Morris posted on his instagram story last night that he will be "home sweet home in Austin" with a timer counting down to 12 hours. 

So yeah, he's definitely making it to campus. 

But but $9.95ers said he’s probably gonna leave the team after hunter came?!?!?

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

But but $9.95ers said he’s probably gonna leave the team after hunter came?!?!?

I never saw that. There was speculation about it, but I’ve never seen any $9.95er make that declaration with conviction. I’m ecstatic the speculation turns out to be unfounded. This has all the makings of a dominant backcourt. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm fairly certain the speculation started with Bitterwhiteguy. He's the one that was tweeting that rumor from the start. 

So there we go. 

I’ve seen it in other places. Some of the basketball forums for other teams had their guys posting about Morris possibly becoming available, and I know they weren’t getting it from BWG. Heck, I posted about not knowing how the lineups were going to pan out. Doesn’t matter. Don’t care. It’s a surfeit of riches in the backcourt. Everybody else can eat shit. We getting ours. Enjoy sloppy seconds, biiiiitches. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I’ve seen it in other places. Some of the basketball forums for other teams had their guys posting about Morris possibly becoming available, and I know they weren’t getting it from BWG. Heck, I posted about not knowing how the lineups were going to pan out. Doesn’t matter. Don’t care. It’s a surfeit of riches in the backcourt. Everybody else can eat shit. We getting ours. Enjoy sloppy seconds, biiiiitches. 

Bitterwhiteguy interacts with those Kansas boards which I've seen you post on. That's where I saw the rumor. 

I'm almost certain this rumor started with that idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Trying to recall the roster when Beard took over, Jones, Ramey, Cunningham, and Febres?

Either way, amazing work by Beard.

We can Villanova (4 guards) everyone to death. I struggle to think of a better sets of guards in the ncaa.

Edited by pacman

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Bitterwhiteguy interacts with those Kansas boards which I've seen you post on. That's where I saw the rumor. 

I'm almost certain this rumor started with that idiot. 

Does he? I’ve never seen him. I’ve been posting on Phog for almost 30 years, back when it was independent and looked like a blue background reddit page.

I saw it on a Louisville board, too, but those guys have a weird hard on for Beard when it comes to recruiting. Too many losses to him. They have some PTSD shit going on. 

I don’t actually care where the rumor came from. I just care he’s going to be on campus. This is exciting!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Does he? I’ve never seen him. I’ve been posting on Phog for almost 30 years, back when it was independent and looked like a blue background reddit page.

I saw it on a Louisville board, too, but those guys have a weird hard on for Beard when it comes to recruiting. Too many losses to him. They have some PTSD shit going on. 

I don’t actually care where the rumor came from. I just care he’s going to be on campus. This is exciting!

He does on twitter. 

The rumor on the Kansas boards almost certainly originated from Bitterwhiteguy. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Pretty sure I can live with this sudden problem of too many ballhandlers who can get into the lane against halfcourt D.

How much can we realistically expect Mitchell to do in defending the interior? The athleticism and work ethic are obviously elite, so I'm hoping he'll give Disu and Bishop a hand in protecting the rim and grabbing defensive boards. To me, that seems one of our biggest unknowns heading into fall.