Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Niceness has to be the most overrated quality in a competent leader.

In fairness, Mark Adams did do a better job than Beard this past year by pretty much any measure, while inheriting a similar situation in terms of roster. We'll see how it plays out in the long run. If Shannon and McCullars do end up leaving, that will help change the narrative, for sure. I did see where Obanor is coming back for a super senior season, so it's not like their whole roster is bailing. I'll be interested in what their respective records are in the tournament 3 to 4 years from now.

Adam’s inherited a ready built program with recent success that we’ve only dreamed of. Beard is tasked with building one while finishing out in one of the worst venues that existed for basketball.

23 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Adam’s inherited a ready built program with recent success that we’ve only dreamed of. Beard is tasked with building one while finishing out in one of the worst venues that existed for basketball.

Sure. I'm happy with the hire. And I don't want Adams instead. But Adams did a better job last year, and the circumstances under which he inherited the team were not ideal. If you'd told me prior to the season starting that Tech was going to have a better team than Texas I would have laughed in your face.

I'm glad we got Beard. Tech fans should be happy with Adams. But if anyone is excited about how nice a leader is for something that's important to them, they're looking for the wrong traits, IMO.

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

This. Beard -> Adams was not a drastic transition and he kept Shannon, McCullars, Santos-Silva and Nadolny while Shaka -> Beard was a huge change, plus incorporating 6 new transfers + coaching the Shakablah out of Jones, Ramey, Febres and Cunningham

Now this is beyond free agency. About to be a whole lot of pearl clutching, even more than there already is.

But on another note, it was totally stupid for this Ruiz dude to be so public about what he gave Nigel Pack to transfer there. This was a super predictable outcome.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This is why part of me thinks legit NIL is going to eventually dry up to some extent.  Real big money donors and people from non-shady business backgrounds aren’t going to have a lot of tolerance for getting constantly held up by players.  That’s a cost of doing business with the Chinese government controlled supplier, not your college team’s latest 19 year old that you’re giving some money so you can enjoy your Saturdays more.

They either are going to need real contracts based on the player staying at the school, or a lot of them are going to wash their hands of this nonsense.  Everything would be a lot easier if they just drop the charade and make NCAA sports an actual pro league.  A system where you’re going to pay guys but you can’t make it in exchange for what you actually want, so they can just fleece you and transfer to your arch rival as soon as the check clears … uh, that’s not going to fly for long. 

There’s definitely going to be some sort of market correction, whether that be through officially written rules or unofficially. I don’t expect things to be this wild long term, the first couple of years of this were always going to be rough because the NCAA never bothered to prepare for it even though it was inevitable to anyone with half a brain.

It also should be no surprise that Miami is handling this in the dumbest fashion imaginable. This Ruiz dude seems like a moron, which is on par for Miami boosters.

Chip Brown, in an "article" on the Aimaq announcement.

("Dylan Disu testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent (but likely to return to Texas")

Spoiler

Chip Brown (Horns 247)

I find this announcement intriguing for a couple reasons:

One, Texas obviously could use some size down low with 6-foot-9 Dylan Disu testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent (but likely to return to Texas) and 6-foot-10 Tre Mitchell moving on from Texas. So far, the Longhorns have eight (of 13) scholarship players set for next season - SF Timmy Allen, G Marcus Carr, PF Christian Bishop, G Sir'Jabari Rice, F Brock Cunningham, SF Dillon Mitchell, G Arterio Morris and G Rowan Brumbaugh.

The second reason I’m intrigued by Aimaq’s announcement is I want to see if Texas Tech’s Mark Adams can recruit at a high level and keep building on the culture established in Lubbock by Chris Beard.

The theory goes that the longer the coach who built the culture is gone, the more slippage you start seeing in recruiting by the coach who replaced the culture-building coach.

Beard built an incredible culture in five years at Texas Tech. Beard experienced that culture first-hand - from the other side - when he returned to Lubbock this past season and when Tech fans bought up most of the upper deck tickets at the Erwin Center for UT's home game against the Red Raiders.

Tech had a better season than Texas this past year, sweeping the Longhorns and reaching the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament as UT fell in the round of 32 to Purdue.

But can Adams sustain it? Beard and Adams are head-to-head for the commitment of Aimaq. It’s a commitment that won’t make or break either program by any stretch. But it’s a head-to-head nonetheless as we watch to see if Adams can sustain the incredible culture he inherited from Beard, who is busy trying to build that same type of culture at his alma mater in Austin.

12 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

There’s definitely going to be some sort of market correction, whether that be through officially written rules or unofficially. I don’t expect things to be this wild long term, the first couple of years of this were always going to be rough because the NCAA never bothered to prepare for it even though it was inevitable to anyone with half a brain.

It also should be no surprise that Miami is handling this in the dumbest fashion imaginable. This Ruiz dude seems like a moron, which is on par for Miami boosters.

Nevin Shapiro, eye of Miami scandal, is out of prison

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

supposedly he's choosing Tech. 

And this is correct. I’m not concerned about getting this guy or not getting this guy, as much as I’m disappointed we’re losing head to head recruiting battles with Tech. Hopefully he doesn’t turn out to be the next Bryson Williams.

Still need a couple of big men. 

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Aimaq to Texas Tech. Word is he got a 500k in NIL deals. Gerry Hamilton said Texas wasn't willing to go that far with NIL and they were a little concerned with his ability to play defense.

Impressive that Tech stepped up to that degree.

I'm not terribly concerned. I just know we need some bodies, and that they have to be able to switch on defense. The portal process still has quite a ways to go. It remains a bummer to lose a head to head to Tech, but we'll see how it all plays out.

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Chip Brown, in an "article" on the Aimaq announcement.

("Dylan Disu testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent (but likely to return to Texas")

Reveal hidden contents

Chip Brown (Horns 247)

I find this announcement intriguing for a couple reasons:

One, Texas obviously could use some size down low with 6-foot-9 Dylan Disu testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent (but likely to return to Texas) and 6-foot-10 Tre Mitchell moving on from Texas. So far, the Longhorns have eight (of 13) scholarship players set for next season - SF Timmy Allen, G Marcus Carr, PF Christian Bishop, G Sir'Jabari Rice, F Brock Cunningham, SF Dillon Mitchell, G Arterio Morris and G Rowan Brumbaugh.

The second reason I’m intrigued by Aimaq’s announcement is I want to see if Texas Tech’s Mark Adams can recruit at a high level and keep building on the culture established in Lubbock by Chris Beard.

The theory goes that the longer the coach who built the culture is gone, the more slippage you start seeing in recruiting by the coach who replaced the culture-building coach.

Beard built an incredible culture in five years at Texas Tech. Beard experienced that culture first-hand - from the other side - when he returned to Lubbock this past season and when Tech fans bought up most of the upper deck tickets at the Erwin Center for UT's home game against the Red Raiders.

Tech had a better season than Texas this past year, sweeping the Longhorns and reaching the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament as UT fell in the round of 32 to Purdue.

But can Adams sustain it? Beard and Adams are head-to-head for the commitment of Aimaq. It’s a commitment that won’t make or break either program by any stretch. But it’s a head-to-head nonetheless as we watch to see if Adams can sustain the incredible culture he inherited from Beard, who is busy trying to build that same type of culture at his alma mater in Austin.

Fuck Chip Brown 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Jeff Goodman’s Twitter life is changed forever too.  Tech septic bile will now follow him around incessantly. 

It's been like that for a year already, he had been posting most cancerous fanbase rankings he deals with and Tech pushed themselves into the upper half of that top 10 in short order

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Mark Adams is gonna get "word that shall not be said-slapped".

Adams is untouchable until he stops winning games. This is not going to get him in any trouble, it'll be a pain in the ass recruiting but not really, they're obviously willing to spend top dollar.

11 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Adams is untouchable until he stops winning games. This is not going to get him in any trouble, it'll be a pain in the ass recruiting but not really, they're obviously willing to spend top dollar.

it was a joke about Juwan Howard's son commenting on the situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Yeah major whoosh 

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Texas has Tech in desperation mode, this is going to be fun to watch

I just read an article saying there's going to be a rush of players enter the portal right before the deadline. Texas will have a lot of options for big men. 

Also, Beard has always shown he's fearless regarding bringing in new players. No one has a protected spot. If he thinks there's a couple of guards/wings out there who can improve the team, he's going to go after them even if it means someone already on the roster will be impacted. 

(Some pretty positive comments from Walter, FWIW.)

Longhorns hosting 2023 five-star Ja'Kobe Walter, 2022 prospect Alex Anamekwe for official visits
JEFF HOWE

Spoiler

Longhorns hosting 2023 five-star Ja'Kobe Walter, 2022 prospect Alex Anamekwe for official visits
JEFF HOWE

In an effort to add a key piece to the roster for the coming season and to kick off his third recruiting class with a bang, Texas head coach Chris Beard is hosting a pair of elite recruits for official visits this weekend. McKinney five-star guard Ja'Kobe Walter, the No. 23 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite for 2023, started his official visit on Friday; when he wraps up his time on campus Sunday, the Longhorns will welcome his high school and Team Trae Young AAU teammate, 2022 three-star forward Alex Anamekwe, to campus for an official visit scheduled to run through Monday.

Walter, a junior, and Anamekwe, a senior, led McKinney to a 35-3 record. The talented duo helped the Lions score a double-overtime win over Austin Westlake in the Class 6A state semifinals at the Alamodome in San Antonio on March 11, 68-66, before falling to Duncanville in the state championship game the following night.

Even with the 2023 class chock-full of elite talent within the Lone Star State, the 6-foot-5-inch Walter might be the top prospect on the board for a Texas program looking to land verbal commitment No. 1 in the cycle. Walter is no stranger to the Forty Acres, making an unofficial visit in September before returning on Jan. 29 to watch the Longhorns dispatch Tennessee at the Erwin Center in the Big 12/SEC Challenge, 52-51.

A versatile scorer, Walter has already made official visits to both Alabama and Auburn. Baylor is heavily in the mix as well, but he recently told Eric Bossi, the national basketball director for 247Sports, that Texas has put in a lot of work in recruiting him, which has left a strong impression on the No. 17 overall prospect in the Top247.

“They come to my school all the time,” Walter said of a coaching staff that's spent countless hours recruiting him through in-person visits and watching him on the court. “They’ve come to my school the most out of everybody. (Beard) says that I’m the No. 1 priority and that he thinks I’m the best player in the country. They let me know every time that they can build around me.”

Eight scholarship players — returnees Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop, Marcus Carr and Brock Cunningham; high school signees Rowan Brumbaugh, Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris; New Mexico State graduate transfer Sir'Jabari Rice — are locked in for the 2022-23 season. Nevertheless, the 6-foot-6-inch Anamekwe, who was released from the National Letter of Intent he signed with SMU in the wake of former head coach Tim Jankovich retiring at season’s end, is a target who can check several boxes.

Immediately, Anamekwe can be a high-energy contributor with the ability to defend multiple positions and help provide rim protection. In the long run, however, the Longhorns can let Anamekwe develop behind Bishop and a frontcourt that could include Dylan Disu (if he pulls his name out of consideration for the NBA draft and returns to school for another season) and presumably an addition from the NCAA transfer portal (Texas missed out on Utah Valley’s Fardaws Aimaq, who committed to Texas Tech on Friday, but Louisiana Tech’s Kenneth Lofton Jr. remains a target with the Longhorns also searching for a bonafide rim protector and any other players who fit into what Beard and Co. are trying to build) and help him reach his ceiling as a player.

Texas finished Beard’s first season with a 22-12 record, claiming the program’s first NCAA Tournament victory since 2014 with an 81-73 win over Virginia Tech in a first-round bout in Milwaukee. The Longhorns came in at No. 25 in the final Associated Press Top 25 in their final campaign playing games at the Erwin Center with the program's new home arena, the Moody Center, open for business and ready to host the Longhorns for the 2022-23 season and beyond.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, Js1 said:

This. Beard -> Adams was not a drastic transition and he kept Shannon, McCullars, Santos-Silva and Nadolny while Shaka -> Beard was a huge change, plus incorporating 6 new transfers + coaching the Shakablah out of Jones, Ramey, Febres and Cunningham

This is a flat out fabrication, but whatever you want to keep telling yourselves.

Tech transfers Bryson Williams, Kevin Obanor, Davion Warren, and Adonis Arms all made significant contributions to Tech's success in 21-22. Daniel Batcho was a project and Sardaar Calhoun transferred out in January.

The coaching staff was different. Tech lost Micah Peavy(TCU) and Kyler Edwards( UH) who started for both teams. McCullar, and Shannon were all gone until Adams reeled them back in.  Shannon and McCullar both missed significant Big XII time with injuries. CS_S accepted a 6th man role. CS-S,  Total continuity, right?

But yeah, it was a layup that everyone saw coming.  Checks 2021 preseason rankings: Texas (3) Texas Tech received 177 points in votes vs UT's 1315 nationally.  2021 Big XII predictions: Texas 2, Texas Tech 5.

Free speech and all that shit, but wholly fuck, you are blatantly misremembering shit.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, Js1 said:

4 hours ago, slorch said:

This is a flat out fabrication, but whatever you want to keep telling yourselves.

Tech transfers Bryson Williams, Kevin Obanor, Davion Warren, and Adonis Arms all made significant contributions to Tech's success in 21-22. Daniel Batcho was a project and Sardaar Calhoun transferred out in January.

The coaching staff was different. Tech lost Micah Peavy(TCU) and Kyler Edwards( UH) who started for both teams. McCullar, and Shannon were all gone until Adams reeled them back in.  Shannon and McCullar both missed significant Big XII time with injuries. CS_S accepted a 6th man role. CS-S,  Total continuity, right?

But yeah, it was a layup that everyone saw coming.  Checks 2021 preseason rankings: Texas (3) Texas Tech received 177 points in votes vs UT's 1315 nationally.  2021 Big XII predictions: Texas 2, Texas Tech 5.

Free speech and all that shit, but wholly fuck, you are blatantly misremembering shit.

Your blind defensiveness outshines your reading comprehension. You bolded text and then proceeded to talk about players and ignore what your were arguing.

No one is saying that Adams didn't do a good job rebuilding the roster. He coached the shit out of Tech this season.

However, again, Beard to Adams was not a drastic transition. They practically run the same system and concepts.  Shaka to Beard was a much bigger transition.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Your blind defensiveness outshines your reading comprehension. You bolded text and then proceeded to talk about players and ignore what your were arguing.

No one is saying that Adams didn't do a good job rebuilding the roster. He coached the shit out of Tech this season.

However, again, Beard to Adams was not a drastic transition. They practically run the same system and concepts.  Shaka to Beard was a much bigger transition.

It was a huge transition.  Tech was left for dead.

Texas had all the momentum and program smashery.  Member the laughter?  I damned sure do.

Just getting a kick out of the beginnings of excuses and bargaining.  We'll see.

Still disagree that it was anything resembling easy street for Adams. The rest of the world didn't think it was either.  That's the point eluding many of you.

With 20/20 vision to the past, you're convincing yourselves how easy Tech had it and what a trek Beard had in front of himself.  LO-fucking-L.

Edited by slorch

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

Texas had all the momentum and program smashery.  Member the laughter?  I damned sure do.

Just getting a kick out of the beginnings of excuses and bargaining.  We'll see.

Still disagree that it was anything resembling easy street for Adams. The rest of the world didn't think it was either.  That's the point eluding many of you.

With 20/20 vision to the past, you're convincing yourselves how easy Tech had it and what a trek Beard had in front of himself.  LO-fucking-L.

The only people who thought ‘Tech was left for dead’ were the Tech fans who couldn’t get over (and still aren’t) Beard leaving. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

This would be awesome. Him and Timmy are really close, just need to get him a big bag to keep him from staying in the draft.

Gerry has said multiple times this will never happen, even though there are many Texas fans trying to wish it into existence. I would love to have Carr, Rice, Allen, Allen, and Bishop as the starting 5 for Gonzaga.

Legit LOL at “left for dead.”
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry has said multiple times this will never happen, even though there are many Texas fans trying to wish it into existence. I would love to have Carr, Rice, Allen, Allen, and Bishop as the starting 5 for Gonzaga.

Hopefully he’s wrong. Teddy had his troubles in the past no doubt but seems like he’s past it. He probably just wants to go somewhere to be the guy, like Mississippi St where the NMSU coach went. But that starting lineup would be great, besides still needing a post presence on D.

2 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Hopefully he’s wrong. Teddy had his troubles in the past no doubt but seems like he’s past it. He probably just wants to go somewhere to be the guy, like Mississippi St where the NMSU coach went. But that starting lineup would be great, besides still needing a post presence on D.

Yep. go get the WSU C, and you have a really good team full of veterans and athletes.

• Hook 'Em 1