Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Your alma mater was the #1 team in the nation and just lost in the UIL playoffs on a tip in. 

Almost alma mater.

Surprising.  I'm not sure why or how Richardson is such a powerhouse in basketball.  I know they have a couple of D1 prospects, but I'd think there'd be plenty of other schools with good/great players 3-10.

My actual alma mater, Garland, put 3 players in the NBA.  Ike Diogu, Mookie Blaylock, and Ricky Pierce.  I used to play a lot of basketball in the same rec center at which all 3 honed their skills.  I could outshoot anyone.  That being said, the few times I played on the elite court... not so great.  I looked like a member of the Washington Generals.

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Just saw that Westlake is 36-1 this season and just avenged their only loss of the season against SA Clark in the third round. Who are their best players this season?

That Jaden Greathouse kid is really good from what I've seen. I know he's a 4 star WR, but he's pretty good in basketball too. And not just as a great athlete who dominates with his athleticism, he's really skilled.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Almost alma mater.

Surprising.  I'm not sure why or how Richardson is such a powerhouse in basketball.  I know they have a couple of D1 prospects, but I'd think there'd be plenty of other schools with good/great players 3-10.

My actual alma mater, Garland, put 3 players in the NBA.  Ike Diogu, Mookie Blaylock, and Ricky Pierce.  I used to play a lot of basketball in the same rec center at which all 3 honed their skills.  I could outshoot anyone.  That being said, the few times I played on the elite court... not so great.  I looked like a member of the Washington Generals.

I held Ricky Pierce to under 30 points in high school.

• Hook 'Em 1

Via Gerry Hamilton:

On hoops recruiting ... some very important news ... Arterio Morris is going to be working out with T.J. Ford some in the off-season prior to getting to Texas. That will be crucial for Morris' development playing in the half court at the college level.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Via Gerry Hamilton:

On hoops recruiting ... some very important news ... Arterio Morris is going to be working out with T.J. Ford some in the off-season prior to getting to Texas. That will be crucial for Morris' development playing in the half court at the college level.

Would seem to bode well that he's not going to the G League

• Hook 'Em 3

The one thing that was great about those days was that there was a respectful rivalry between Texas and Nebraska fans.  In fact nearly all the food and drink suggestions I got were from my posting on the Husker site asking about the in and outs of attending.  Hereford House was a steak house throwback to the early 1960's.  Garaozo's was great Italian with a slight mafia-like vibe, with the massive doormen and the sketchy location.  Cool think was the UT cheerleaders were there when we were eating dinner, but I think the location is nicer now. Golden Ox was another spot but we got their late and the wait time was like an hour and a half.  With the only seats int he place, directly in front of the band's speakers, which we could not handle for long.  I was about to throw in the towel when Manny the bartender starting waving me over frantically.  I had no idea what he wanted, but he cleared the bar space and told me to sit down and pretend I was his Cousin from Texas.  He wanted me to mess with a local guy. By BS is pretty good and Manny loved the crap I fed the guy.  Most importantly we got a fucking place to sit down!  He actually picked up a round of our drinks and an appetizer.  During our conversation he mentioned he had a young son.  I asked if he worked on Sunday and he did not, I really enjoyed giving him those Finals tickets.  All in all a great dining experience and we even got a small dose of culture seeing the Truman Museum.

The funniest was the gambling. The first day the wife won like $100 on the one armed bandit and I won like $60 after tossing away most of my winnings with my last bets.  While I knew how to shoot craps, I was a neophyte when it came to betting strategies.  On Friday the Husker I was next to helped me figure things out and gave me some strategies, and I think I came out maybe $80 up.  Saturday night I still had like $80 in chips (because I realized they limited your daily buy in to like $350?) after a long day and the snow starting to fall, I left the wife to sleep and headed to the boat around midnight.  I shot craps with my $80 for a while and wasted an hour not gaining any ground.  The place was slow and the pit boss came over and said two more rolls around the table (I think there were 4 of us) and they were going to consolidate to another table.

Well two of the other tree guys were from Nebraska, and when I got those dice, I rolled for about 20 minutes. It was hilarious. I was hitting Yo bets that I was splitting with the crew, and made point after point.  It was like one of those movies where all of a sudden folks were two deep drying to get bets down on this crazy Texas boy.  Towards the end of my run, the friendly Husker from the day before came up to place a bet.  Ends up the other two huskers at the table to begin with were staying with him.  He joked that I learned a lot in one day!  I left about $600 on the table and had turned my $80 into $2600.  I gave back $500 on black jack, then headed home to the hotel.

When I get to the hotel I come in, turn the lights on and rain money all over the bead.  She looks up and is not crazy excited.  Seems that one of the popcorn shrimp she 8 hours ago food poisoned her. So she had been puking for a couple hours.  So not only did I bring home the cash, I avoided being vomit nurse!  

Thanks again to KVET and ATT on a fun prize, and a special thanks to the Huskers that were so nice to me before and during the trip.

• Hook 'Em 2

Duncanville vs McKinney in the 6A title game tomorrow. A ton of top ‘23 guys in that game including the top two guys in the state #1 ranked Ron Holland for Duncanville and #2 Jakobe Walter for Mckinney.

Duncanville was down 30-10 in the second quarter of the semis against Atascocita and won 50-36. Finished the game on a 40-6 run and gave up just 4 points the entire second half.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, longhornmatt said:

…As an aside, the distance between Austin and El Paso is actually almost twice the distance between Tucson and El Paso.  Not that it’s an excuse, but the typical in-state close to home advantage kind of goes out the window with an El Paso recruit.

El Paso to Tucson is much closer than El Paso to Austin. By several hours!

I have driven from Dallas to LA several times and Austin to LA is about the same. 

El Paso is about 45 minutes short of half way to LA, Tucson isn’t even hall way from El Paso to LA.

[researching now]

El Paso to Austin: 576 miles

El Paso to Tucson: 318 miles

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

El Paso to Tucson is much closer than El Paso to Austin. By several hours!

I have driven from Dallas to LA several times and Austin to LA is about the same. 

El Paso is about 45 minutes short of half way to LA, Tucson isn’t even hall way from El Paso to LA.

[researching now]

El Paso to Austin: 576 miles

El Paso to Tucson: 318 miles

El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Biggest flop" dude what? This is the problem that happens when a baseball guy who has tunnel vision around one cbb team is given space to write an article.

Are you not familiar with Richard Justice's schtick or are you committed to your devolution into a satyanash-like organism?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/12/2022 at 8:11 PM, Napoleon said:

I have made that drive once. The San Antonio to El Paso section is pretty desolate. 

Fun Fact: Texarkana to Chicago is also closer than Texarkana to El Paso. 

Even funner fact: Silsbee is closer to Chicago than Waco is to Los Angeles. 

• Hook 'Em 1