Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Everything he does just makes whatever the hell it was Shaka was doing look even worse. Marquette fans are in for a rude awakening when the season starts. 

Not defending him, but recruiting was not Shaka's issue (though he wasn't going close to a level like this). Shaka would have gotten some good transfers this offseason for sure, and we'd probably be looking at something like 4-8th in the B12, which wouldn't be awful given the loss of personnel and the year to year strength of the league. Beard just happens to be a  recruiting witch.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Arterio Morris commitment gives Texas huge boost in future recruiting efforts

Nick Harris

kate hotness GIF

Hide contents

Arterio Morris commitment gives Texas huge boost in future recruiting efforts

Nick Harris

Texas secured its first basketball 2022 commitment this afternoon with Lewisville (Texas) iSchool five-star point guard Arterio Morris. After months of cleaning house in the transfer portal, Chris Beard and the Texas staff get a huge first win in 2022 with one of its top targets.

Since arriving on campus in April, the Texas staff has prioritized a select few players both in-state and out-of-state including guys like Morris, Keyonte George, Anthony Black, Kijani Wright, Kel'el Ware, Cason Wallace among others. Upon the arrival of the June visit season, they were able to get Morris, George, Black and Wright all on campus for official visits and the reviews from each of those trips turned out really positive.

It's been a little too easy for the staff to this point in their recruiting efforts both in the transfer portal and in the 2022 and 2023 classes, but Morris' commitment finally sees that work come to fruition in the form of a commitment.

How does this affect recruiting the rest of the 2022 class? Let's discuss.

It's important to remember that Morris is a likable character on the AAU circuit with other recruits, and two of his strongest friendships are with five-star Keyonte George and five-star Anthony Black. Texas would love to get all three in a guard class that would rival some of the best backcourt classes of all-time, but how realistic is it that they can land all three?

It's certainly a possibility, and the odds fall within Black. George has been trending Texas' way for a couple of months now and there can't be much done to shift that result between now and when he plans to commit in the October-November timeframe. But with Black, he has seen schools like Gonzaga and Duke prioritize him as their top guard option which creates an interesting recruitment that once looked like it was Texas' to lose upon Beard being hired.

In looking at frontcourt options, sources have been confident in Texas' chances with Sierra Canyon (Calif.) five-star power forward Kijani Wright after his official visit. The biggest threats in his recruitment will be USC and Stanford, but if Texas is able to pull him from the west coast, it will provide them with a high-level talent that plans on staying more than one season in college.

Aside from the obvious momentum that Morris' commitment gives Texas in the 2022 class, the commitment helps get Texas back on the map with in-state recruits after the 2021 cycle under Shaka Smart was mostly spent recruiting talent out-of-state. Beard formed a coaching staff with deep ties in-state with Ulric Maligi, Jerrance Howard, Chris Ogden and Rodney Terry, and getting Morris proves that this staff will be able to take full advantage of the in-state talent in 2022 and future classes.

Speaking of future classes, the in-state crop in 2023 remains strong with guys like Ronald Holland, KJ Lewis and Ja'Kobe Walter keeping a close eye on the Longhorns moving forward. An in-state filled class paired with a strong season in 2021-22 would put Texas in a solid position to create serious noise for not only the immediate upcoming seasons, but for the next 5-10 years under Chris Beard.

This is just getting silly, seriously.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We’re a basketball school...right now. And that’s ok, for right now. 

I love the football players tweets trying to defend themselves against being surrounded with elite performance (to the tune of a directors cup), and phenomenal recruiting success. “We got dogs coming too!” While it’s certainly unique to each sport and our teams, hopefully this serves as a reinforcer of the championship culture the new staff is attempting to create. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Under our former SEAL team leader, with this many good players we'd for sure see a lack of team chemistry. It would result in a bunch of guys counting the days until they could vacate Austin for any school where they could improve their stats.

I trust that won't be as much of an issue with Beard. I mean, unless he goes so far as to demand an extra pat of butter. 

Rick Barnes has been gone 6 years now. You can give it a rest.

Not defending him, but recruiting was not Shaka's issue (though he wasn't going close to a level like this). Shaka would have gotten some good transfers this offseason for sure, and we'd probably be looking at something like 4-8th in the B12, which wouldn't be awful given the loss of personnel and the year to year strength of the league. Beard just happens to be a  recruiting witch.

Shaka has very many positive attributes. Had 90% of what is needed to be very successful. Really (in my opinion), I think all that he really lacked was a solid “X’s and O’s” coach that could lead the basketball team (fundamentals, game mgmt, etc). Remember Jamie Campaglio. I think he played this role for Penders back in the day. Beard has the full package. Lookout. Good times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me of all the people saying Charlie would’ve been great if we just hired a competent HC to work under him. 

I don’t disagree with that thought. But I would say Shaka did a lot of things right. Both coaches were over their skis with the responsibilities of big time D1 schools. Mid majors fit them better.

8 minutes ago, BowleggedMonkey said:

I don’t disagree with that thought. But I would say Shaka did a lot of things right. Both coaches were over their skis with the responsibilities of big time D1 schools. Mid majors fit them better.

Shaka Sock ??

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

Saying that recruiting wasn't an issue for Shaka lacks nuance. He picked whatever flashy five star he could find with no regard to fit or how he would develop the team around him. He mismanaged roster turnover and didn't know what he needed. In many ways, his recruiting paralleled Charlie Strong's. 

• Hook 'Em 9

39 minutes ago, Sal said:

Saying that recruiting wasn't an issue for Shaka lacks nuance. He picked whatever flashy five star he could find with no regard to fit or how he would develop the team around him. He mismanaged roster turnover and didn't know what he needed. In many ways, his recruiting paralleled Charlie Strong's. 

The team fit well enough last year to win the Big 12 tournament, that should’ve been enough to beat Abilene fucking Christian.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

The team fit well enough last year to win the Big 12 tournament, that should’ve been enough to beat Abilene fucking Christian.

Except that the team was only built to last a year before losing nearly everyone to draft and transfers. And really, we only got to that level because of the pandemic year. That's not good roster management. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Sal said:

It wasn't about "flashy" five-stars, most years his big recruit was a center. He just wasn't good at coaching them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It wasn't about "flashy" five-stars, most years his big recruit was a center. He just wasn't good at coaching them.

When your big recruit is a center, perhaps you should have guys throw the ball to him every so often so he can put the ball in the hole. This is opposed to say jacking an off balanced 3 with the shot clock expiring.

Shaka sucked. I fired him 3 years ago and rarely watched games after that. It just took awhile for the AD to come to the same realization.

But forget Shaka. Move on. This will be the best era of basketball UT has ever experienced. Sure we could get upset in the tournament, but I am confident we will get there. And if we do get upset, it will be truly an upset and not just the team doing its thing.

• Hook 'Em 7

9 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Winning the Big 12 tournament isn't a big accomplishment when you don't have to play Kansas or Baylor and you get a day of rest your opponent doesn't get.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

When your big recruit is a center, perhaps you should have guys throw the ball to him every so often so he can put the ball in the hole. This is opposed to say jacking an off balanced 3 with the shot clock expiring.

That’s the entire point of the post you’re responding to, that’s what he “wasn’t good at coaching them” means.

57 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Winning the Big 12 tournament isn't a big accomplishment when you don't have to play Kansas or Baylor and you get a day of rest your opponent doesn't get.

So are you arguing that the team wasn’t talented enough or fit well enough to beat Abilene fucking Christian? Because the point I’m making is that talent and fit isn’t the reason they lost that game, poor coaching was.

• Hook 'Em 1

We are recruiting like Kentucky and Dukes of the world, like how Texas football should be recruiting year in and year out, like Bama recruits in football. If Beard can field a competitive team, which he will this year, we are going to roll like a Mofo from here on out. Shaka was a middle of the pack recruiter, not a great one. Just landing one 5* every year without other key pieces in place doesn't make you a great recruiter. Exciting times ahead for Texas basketball!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Andrew Jones will need an attitude shift to play a lot for Beard. If you’re not giving effort on defense under this staff, your ass is sitting on the bench 

Which is fine because Texas has the depth and a coach to ensure full effort and compliance. All these guys are going to have to buy into the defense first culture.

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

So are you arguing that the team wasn’t talented enough or fit well enough to beat Abilene fucking Christian? Because the point I’m making is that talent and fit isn’t the reason they lost that game, poor coaching was.

Nope, just saying that winning the Big 12 tournament wasn't that big of an accomplishment. We barely beat Tech, got a day of rest when Kansas got Covided, got lucky when OSU beat Baylor, and then outlasted a tired OSU.

I agree that we had a team with Final Four potential based on experience and talent, but Shaka coached them into losing in the first round to Abilene Fucking Christian.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, BowleggedMonkey said:

Shaka has very many positive attributes. Had 90% of what is needed to be very successful. Really (in my opinion), I think all that he really lacked was a solid “X’s and O’s” coach that could lead the basketball team (fundamentals, game mgmt, etc). Remember Jamie Campaglio. I think he played this role for Penders back in the day. Beard has the full package. Lookout. Good times ahead.

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Really was hoping Shaka would finally take that next step and get over the hump.  He didn't and proved the job was more than he could handle.  I'm not going to make excuses for winning the Big 12 because they won enough to put themselves into position to grab opportunities but they took that momentum and immediately imploded.  The reward for their conference title was a very low tourney bar and they showed they didn't belong.  

Beard did a lot more with less.  Let's see what he can do with more.  He already looks to be building a giant.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Really was hoping Shaka would finally take that next step and get over the hump.  He didn't and proved the job was more than he could handle.  I'm not going to make excuses for winning the Big 12 because they won enough to put themselves into position to grab opportunities but they took that momentum and immediately imploded.  The reward for their conference title was a very low tourney bar and they showed they didn't belong.  

Beard did a lot more with less.  Let's see what he can do with more.  He already looks to be building a giant.  

With Shaka I feel there were other factors that contributed also. The rise of Baylor and and Tech seemed to pull on his momentum, but I agree that when it mattered the team just wasn’t ready. It was so frustrating seeing the flashes of what could possibly be at times. 

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

With Shaka I feel there were other factors that contributed also. The rise of Baylor and and Tech seemed to pull on his momentum, but I agree that when it mattered the team just wasn’t ready. It was so frustrating seeing the flashes of what could possibly be at times. 

Now that we have a competent basketball coach not a life coach those frustrations should be a thing of the past

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

The only thing that contributed to Shaka’s downfall was his atrocious coaching. He had at least as much, if not more talent than Baylor and Tech. Outside of this year’s conference championship (which I consider an outlier and a fluke due to all the Covid interruptions) his legacy is one of extreme futility and underachievement. 

I never though it was possible to do less with more than Barnes did, but Shaka set a new low bar for that standard. 

• Hook 'Em 4

We've been begging our teams to join the bag game for years now. I don't see how this is anything revelatory or in any way a bad thing.

And it's not enough to collect talent, as the last couple pages indicated. It's being able to collect talent and coach it into wins.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1