DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Or release them to the custody of friends or family. There are also charities designed specifically to help immigrants find temporary housing. 

also the critical income stream.  Most  don't know anyone in the US and charities don't have unlimited funds. Government funding is inevitable for housing and job placement, even farm or manual labor. 

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

also the critical income stream.  Most  don't know anyone in the US and charities don't have unlimited funds. Government funding is inevitable for housing and job placement, even farm or manual labor. 

How do you know?

Also, if government funding is inevitable, I really couldn't care less.

Edited by David Dennison

Even when given proof, they don’t release US Citizens. ICE needs to be cancelled 
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2019/07/22/dallas-born-citizen-picked-border-patrol-detained-three-weeks

But he’s a messican. You know how those messicans are: even when they’re American, they’re messicans. Know wut I’m sayin’?

On 7/21/2019 at 10:57 PM, NowThis said:

Most  don't know anyone in the US and charities don't have unlimited funds. 

Link? 

Also, why do you ignore these, even if DD hit on the same stuff.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, Revolution512 said:

This is true. There are republicans in favor of this. Senator Graham being one at one point

On 7/21/2019 at 8:28 PM, retread said:

Family Case Management System (Obama) was very successful with very good rates of appearance at court dates. Cheeto shut it down b/c Obama. Suck it libs.

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Link? 

Also, why do you ignore these, even if DD hit on the same stuff.

NowThis is a troll who has already been banned under at least one other screen name (orca).   His act is to pretend to be a liberal who innocently discovers big holes in liberal policy ideas by asking stupid questions and ignoring the answers, and then deciding things like "we'd probably be better off voting for Ted Cruz," which he actually argued under his last screen name during the senate race.

So, the answer to your question is that he keeps ignoring those things because he's trolling. 

• Like 5

My favorite bit is when Orca makes up these obviously fictitious anecdotal stories like him driving through rural Arkansas on Election Day and seeing lines wrapped around buildings with Trump voters. 

That was obvious bullshit because I can tell you there are no long lines to vote in rural red America.  

Everyone always focuses on voter suppression in the blue urban areas but no one ever talks about the voter enabling in the red areas.  

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My favorite bit is when Orca makes up these obviously fictitious anecdotal stories like him driving through rural Arkansas on Election Day and seeing lines wrapped around buildings with Trump voters. 

That was obvious bullshit because I can tell you there are no long lines to vote in rural red America.  

Everyone always focuses on voter suppression in the blue urban areas but no one ever talks about the voter enabling in the red areas.  

nope it was a true story.  I love how you guys are so obsessed with me, while I am not obsessed with you. Sometimes i wonder if any of you have a real life. Sigh. 

Anyway, liberal and conservative policies are rarely perfect. So we have to question everything, only people with small minds don't see problems. You guys really think charities can take in all refugees, what are the steps in real life after they get here? Don't obsess with trivial legal technicalities (a Surly specialty) , move to more substantive day to day living. 

• Fuck You 3

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/us/nashville-neighbors-help-prevent-ice-arrest/index.html

(CNN)When US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers tried to take a Tennessee man into custody early Monday morning, the man's neighbors stepped up to stop them, CNN affiliates WTVF and WZTV reported.

An ICE vehicle had followed the man's van, trying to pull it over, and then blocked it in when the van driver pulled up to a house in Hermitage, near Nashville, the affiliates said. The driver alerted immigrants rights advocates and neighbors, and they rallied, bringing the man and his son - who was in the van with him - water, gas and food so they could stay in the van and avoid possible detention, the affiliates reported.

The standoff lasted for hours. Nashville police were called, but stood by "to keep the peace if necessary," the police department said in a statement.

At some point, the neighbors formed a human chain around the man and his son, who weren't identified to the media, allowing them to get into a house, and later to get from the house to a car and drive away.

"I was real scared about what was going on," said neighbor Felishadae Young in an interview posted on Facebook by CNN affiliate WZTV. "It put a lot of fear in me, because it could be me, it could be my family. It could be anybody. It could be your neighbors, just like it was my neighbor today." Young said she had known the family for 14 years.

"ICE officers chose to depart the scene today without making an arrest to de-escalate the situation," ICE spokesman Bryan Cox told CNN in an email. Cox said he wouldn't say "who the agency's target or targets may have been so as to not compromise a potential future operation that would seek to arrest the individual at a different time and place."

The ICE agents had an administrative warrant, WTVF reported. Nashville police, who had been called in by ICE, said in its statement that ICE was "attempting to serve a detainer" on the man.

Advocates argue that ICE warrants aren't the same as the warrants other law enforcement agencies get judges to approve in court, because they aren't reviewed by an independent body and don't give agents authority to conduct searches inside homes or vehicles without consent.

Daniel Ayoade Yoon, a lawyer who said he witnessed Monday's standoff, said the ICE agents were "sort of bullying" the man, WTVF reported. "They were saying, 'If you don't come out, we're going to arrest you, we're going to arrest your 12-year-old son,' and that's just not legal, it's not the right law."

"We made sure they had water, they had food, we put gas back in the vehicle when they were getting low just to make sure they were OK," Young told WTVF.

This isn't the first time advocates have tried to block ICE from detaining and potentially deporting someone. Results of such efforts have been mixed.

A video that went viral earlier this year showed a man in upstate New York arguing with an ICE officers who attempted to stop the vehicle he was driving and detain the passengers inside. The man refused to open his car door and repeatedly told the officers the warrant they had wasn't signed by a judge. The officers eventually departed the scene, the agency said, "to avoid further disruption."

Last year, advocates in North Carolina surrounded an ICE van in North Carolina in an attempt to block the deportation of an undocumented immigrant who'd been living in sanctuary in a local church. Police eventually arrested 27 people that day, and the undocumented immigrant was deported days later. Some faced obstruction charges.
On Monday, advocates and neighbors alike told CNN affiliates they wouldn't back down.

"I know they're gonna come back, and when they come back, we're coming back," Young said.

this little news story is inspiring. the great brown menace is one thing when it is characterized as a horde of criminals in a caravan headed for the border.

it's very different when they are coming for your friends and neighbors.

this actually gives me a little hope for our country's humanity.

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

nope it was a true story.  I love how you guys are so obsessed with me, while I am not obsessed with you. Sometimes i wonder if any of you have a real life. Sigh. 

Anyway, liberal and conservative policies are rarely perfect. So we have to question everything, only people with small minds don't see problems. You guys really think charities can take in all refugees, what are the steps in real life after they get here? Don't obsess with trivial legal technicalities (a Surly specialty) , move to more substantive day to day living. 

Nobody gives a shit

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Detaining American citizens for a month to own the libs.

But remember, this is all just about ILLEGAL immigration, not [checks notes] imprisoning brown people because you just don't believe a brown person can be a real 'murican.

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Doesn't matter.  The base thinks he deported everyone.  They have all just been replaced in 24 hours by the new illegals.

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Dude went keto, bro.

Reminds me of the google map reviews of the North Korean death camps.  “Amazing weight loss results!  But the facilities were substandard and the customer service wasn’t as accommodating as the gulags just 20 klicks north of Pyongyang.”

2 out of 5 stars.  Needs better WiFi. Would not recommend.

This is the best they could come up with?

It. Doesn’t. Fucking. Matter. WHERE YOU ARE FROM. The ONLY relevant question is “are you a citizen?” He said he was. He presented papers demonstrating that he was.

But, he’s kinda messican-y, so you can’t be too careful. Probably oughta detain all people with messican-y last names for a month or so, just to be sure.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is the best they could come up with?

Haha from the end of that article:

"Hastings's claim that Galicia did not inform officers of his status contradicts a notice to appear in immigration court served to Galicia obtained by the Dallas Morning News in which the Department of Homeland Security accused him of falsely claiming to be a U.S. citizen while in custody."

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

Haha from the end of that article:

"Hastings's claim that Galicia did not inform officers of his status contradicts a notice to appear in immigration court served to Galicia obtained by the Dallas Morning News in which the Department of Homeland Security accused him of falsely claiming to be a U.S. citizen while in custody."

Hmm.  That makes it seem like he committed perjury.  I wonder if the GOP will do anything about it since they care so much about perjury.  Eh, who am I kidding?  The GOP doesn't give a shit about a border patrol official committing perjury by lying about the detainment of an American citizen.

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It. Doesn’t. Fucking. Matter. WHERE YOU ARE FROM. The ONLY relevant question is “are you a citizen?” He said he was. He presented papers demonstrating that he was.

But, he’s kinda messican-y, so you can’t be too careful. Probably oughta detain all people with messican-y last names for a month or so, just to be sure.

That really is the logic that they use. I don't think people understand how simplistic and stupid these morons at CBP really are, which is why I asked that question earlier about the Laredo Crossing. 

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

"If you're an American citizen, how come you have a Mexican name?"

If you're an American citizen, they why do you have (fraudulent) documents from another country saying that you're a citizen of that country?

Yeah, CPB/ICE screwed up. But this snafu is on this guy (and his dumb-ass mom).

• Fuck You 2

The reason it appears to have taken CBP and ICE so long to determine Galicia’s citizenship is because his mother, who is not a citizen, took out a U.S. tourist visa in his name while he was still a minor, falsely saying he was born in Mexico, Galan said. His mother, Sanjuana, told The Washington Post that CBP discovered the visa after fingerprinting her son. The conflicting documents only fueled the agency’s suspicion that Galicia’s U.S. documents were fake, Galan said.

Wow. Who could have foreseen that this was wrong and could have caused a problem?

I hate Trump, what ICE/CBP are doing, but my limited reserve of sympathies are going to others who don't commit dumb-ass fraud like this. 

This story is more complicated than most were led to believe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/23/francisco-erwin-galicia-ice-cpb-us-citizen-detained-texas/?utm_term=.62010f76941b

• Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

The reason it appears to have taken CBP and ICE so long to determine Galicia’s citizenship is because his mother, who is not a citizen, took out a U.S. tourist visa in his name while he was still a minor, falsely saying he was born in Mexico, Galan said. His mother, Sanjuana, told The Washington Post that CBP discovered the visa after fingerprinting her son. The conflicting documents only fueled the agency’s suspicion that Galicia’s U.S. documents were fake, Galan said.

Wow. Who could have foreseen that this was wrong and could have caused a problem?

I hate Trump, what ICE/CBP are doing, but my limited reserve of sympathies are going to others who don't commit dumb-ass fraud like this. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/23/francisco-erwin-galicia-ice-cpb-us-citizen-detained-texas/?utm_term=.62010f76941b

Read what you quoted again.  The person who was imprisoned for a month did not commit any fraud, never mind dumb ass fraud.

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Read what you quoted again.  The person who was imprisoned for a month did not commit any fraud, never mind dumb ass fraud.

Read it again. He was a party to it. And it affected the ability of the government to ascertain his citizenship status. 

• Fuck You 4

6 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

It's somewhat complicated, but that dog don't hunt. Yes, the mom created this shit storm with the fake visa, but it's also something that would take maybe four hours in secondary for the government to figure out, and three of those hours would just be punishing them by making them wait. A fucking month to figure it out is insane, ridiculous, and most importantly bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Read it again. He was a party to it. And it affected the ability of the government to ascertain his citizenship status. 

He was a kid.   Your argument is that as a kid he was a "party to fraud" committed by his mother, so it's okay for us to lock him up for a month without due process.  You're either a moron or don't give a fuck about human rights.  Or both.

Edited by lemonlime
Your not you're
  • Like 1

Just now, lemonlime said:

He was a kid.   You're argument is that as a kid he was a "party to fraud" committed by his mother, so it's okay for us to lock him up for a month without due process.  You're either a moron or don't give a fuck about human rights.  Or both.

You just hit the bullseye.

1) he was a minor at the time of the prior paperwork.  2) it's an issue that takes very little time to clear up.  3) a fucking US citizen was held FOR WEEKS because he couldn't meet a burden of proof to a moron with a badge -- not a court, not a judge, just a moron with a badge -- that he actually IS a US citizen.  

The legal burden of proof is on all US citizens (oh, who are we kidding -- it just applies to the brown ones, you white folks don't have to worry about this one) -- you must be prepared to prove that you are a legal citizen AT ANY TIME A MORON WITH A BADGE DEMANDS IT, and if you do not meet that burden -- a burden that only the moron with the badge decides upon -- then you can be tossed in the hole for weeks on end.

How's that "America, land of freedom!" shit working out?  Not so good, I think.

To be clear, the system is as follows:

1) any moron with a CBP badge can decide that he doesn't believe that you -- literally anyone of "you" -- is not a US citizen.

2) he can toss you in detention and keep you there.

3) CBP doesn't submit the matter to a judge; it's not like an ordinary arrest and charge, where you are promptly arraigned before a judge.  It's all done in the sole discretion of a moron with a badge.

4) that's the sum total of your "offense" (some guy doesn't think you are really a citizen) and the sum total of your "due process" (he'll investigate the matter, when he gets around to it).

AMERICA!  FREEDOM!  EAGLES AND STUFF!

Fucking "patriotic 'muricans" are literally the most un-American force we've had to deal with in my lifetime.

34 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Don’t worry. ICE has only wrongfully detained thousands of citizens in Texas alone.  I’m sure we can trust them

But, I mean, this is all cool.  The United States would NEVER actually deport American citizens out of their home country.....except, you know, it has a history of doing 1) EXACTLY THAT, 2) with respect to EXACTLY the citizen group at issue today:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/americas-brutal-forgotten-history-of-illegal-deportations/517971/

According to former California State Senator Joseph Dunn, who in 2004 began an investigation into the Hoover-era deportations, “the Republicans decided the way they were going to create jobs was by getting rid of anyone with a Mexican-sounding name.”

“Getting rid of” America’s Mexican population was a random, brutal effort. “For participating cities and counties, they would go through public employee rolls and look for Mexican-sounding names and then go and arrest and deport those people,” said Dunn. “And then there was a job opening!”

“We weren’t rounding up people who were Canadian,” he added. “It was an absolutely racially-motivated program to create jobs by getting rid of people.”

The so-called repatriation effort was, in large part, a misnomer, given the fact that as many as sixty percent of those sent to “home” Mexico were U.S. citizens: American-born children of Mexican-descent who had never before traveled south of the border. (Dunn noted, “I don’t know how you can repatriate someone to a country they’ve not been born or raised in.”)

“Individuals who left at 5, 6 and 7 years old found themselves in Mexico dealing with process of socialization, of learning the language, but they maintained an American identity,” said Balderrama. “And still had the dream to come back to ‘my country.’”

The raids, as detailed in Balderrama’s chronicle, were vicious. With national concerns over the supposed burden that outsiders were putting on social welfare agencies, authorities targeted those Mexicans utilizing public resources. “In Los Angeles,” explained Balderrama, “they had orderlies who gathered people [in the hospitals] and put them in stretchers on trucks and left them at the border.”

The efforts were equally chaotic. “The first raid in Los Angeles was in 1931—they surrounded La Placita Park near downtown L.A.,” Dunn recalled. “It was a heavily Latino area. They, literally, on a Sunday afternoon, rounded everyone up in park that day, took them to train station and put them on a train that they had leased. These people were taken to Central Mexico to minimize their chances of crossing the border and coming back to the U.S.”

Yeah, that's cool.  Nothing for us to worry about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

To be clear, the system is as follows:

1) any moron with a CBP badge can decide that he doesn't believe that you -- literally anyone of "you" -- is not a US citizen.

2) he can toss you in detention and keep you there.

3) CBP doesn't submit the matter to a judge; it's not like an ordinary arrest and charge, where you are promptly arraigned before a judge.  It's all done in the sole discretion of a moron with a badge.

4) that's the sum total of your "offense" (some guy doesn't think you are really a citizen) and the sum total of your "due process" (he'll investigate the matter, when he gets around to it).

AMERICA!  FREEDOM!  EAGLES AND STUFF!

Fucking "patriotic 'muricans" are literally the most un-American force we've had to deal with in my lifetime.

Papers please, comrade. 

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You just hit the bullseye.

1) he was a minor at the time of the prior paperwork.  2) it's an issue that takes very little time to clear up.  3) a fucking US citizen was held FOR WEEKS because he couldn't meet a burden of proof to a moron with a badge -- not a court, not a judge, just a moron with a badge -- that he actually IS a US citizen.  

The legal burden of proof is on all US citizens (oh, who are we kidding -- it just applies to the brown ones, you white folks don't have to worry about this one) -- you must be prepared to prove that you are a legal citizen AT ANY TIME A MORON WITH A BADGE DEMANDS IT, and if you do not meet that burden -- a burden that only the moron with the badge decides upon -- then you can be tossed in the hole for weeks on end.

How's that "America, land of freedom!" shit working out?  Not so good, I think.

Also the article says that they didn't even see the old visa thing until he was being fingerprinted.  Which means a US citizen who presented a legitimate state-issued identification card was hauled in just for being brown.