DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/18/trump-officials-refugee-zero-1603503

The Trump administration is considering a virtual shutdown of refugee admissions next year — cutting the number to nearly zero — according to three people familiar with the plan.

During a key meeting of security officials on refugee admissions last week, a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services representative who is closely aligned with White House immigration adviser Stephen Miller suggested setting a cap at zero, the people said. Homeland Security Department officials at the meeting later floated making the level anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000, according to one of the people.

45 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

"We're not against legal immigration, just those who break the law!" 

How do you set a cap at zero?  It's not a cap anymore, it's fundamentally just cancelling the refugee program. 

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

No, you're thinking of McSally.   Sinema is the Dem who beat her. 

Aw damn it. Got my az senators mixed up. That’s what I get for not clicking link so assuming all recent bad things are trump related. My bad.

Edited by achooloco

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

It began at least 10 months ago. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes back farther, but has been ramped up.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/649187775/federal-agents-board-buses-100-miles-from-border-to-ask-are-you-a-u-s-citizen

That's not philosophically different than checkpoints miles from the border, which are also bullshit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

That's not philosophically different than checkpoints miles from the border, which are also bullshit.

I agree. I got yanked out of a northbound bus at one of those checkpoints along with everybody else and told to stand in a line while they plundered it and x-rayed it. Took me back to Zero Week at Ft. Knox.

17 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Disgusting.

1d63706b995f038ee4a36683bd1ede07.jpg
ea88311693afdbfeb7efc9a7a736b8a7.jpg

This is not new. I was on a Greyhound bus from New Orleans to Mobile Alabama back in early 2000's and when we stopped to let folks off in Mississippi the cops came on the bus with dogs and everyone had to show ID. No one got carried off the bus . Everyone obeyed instructions of the officers and shortly we were on are way.

This is not a Trump thing.

1 hour ago, Crusher said:

This is not new. I was on a Greyhound bus from New Orleans to Mobile Alabama back in early 2000's and when we stopped to let folks off in Mississippi the cops came on the bus with dogs and everyone had to show ID. No one got carried off the bus . Everyone obeyed instructions of the officers and shortly we were on are way.

This is not a Trump thing.

The party of limited government.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The party of limited government.

I think it was a drug thing. The whole reason I was on the bus in the first place was my Texas Drivers License was expired. They let me on a plane from Houston to New Orleans but. they would not rent me a car when I got there to drive to Mobile. 

7 hours ago, retread said:

Let's see. 1st video of the guys in tin foil. 

3rd video of water outside the cage. Possibly to keep the folks from spilling or wasting it?

2nd thing in your post is a little concerning. Why no video of the passport ? How bout a video of the passport being opened? Or even better a video of the name on the passport? Could it be a picture of  an American passport that belongs to the people who were there to confirm the horrible treatment of the illegal aliens ?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Let's see. 1st video of the guys in tin foil. 

3rd video of water outside the cage. Possibly to keep the folks from spilling or wasting it?

2nd thing in your post is a little concerning. Why no video of the passport ? How bout a video of the passport being opened? Or even better a video of the name on the passport? Could it be a picture of  an American passport that belongs to the people who were there to confirm the horrible treatment of the illegal aliens ?

You...have a great many questions. And I leave it to you all... to answer them. 

^ Full text 

Here’s what I saw on the border in Texas today. Conditions were awful. Overcrowded quarters. Harsh odor filled the air. Mylar blankets.

Spoke to some men through a chain-link fence.  Many have been in for more than forty days. They are drinking heavily chlorinated water even though there was running water and bottled water in the facility. 3-5 days between showers.

Met a bunch of teenagers. Reminded me of my kids. But they looked exhausted. It was the eyes. From Guatemala and Honduras.

Talked to a couple of dads with my broken Spanish. One lost his other son in the violence in Honduras and his nine year old looked scared.

Spoke to around a dozen women. They are not allowed to make phone calls, contrary to official policy.

One lady with a 5 yr old daughter from El Salvador. They left because kids were being kidnapped at the elementary school. The daughter seemed ok and I asked her if she was hungry. She said no, she told me just ate. Then I heard from the mom. Her daughter is actually not eating.

Then I realized she’s traumatized from the 35 day journey on foot, and her two sisters stayed home. I choked back tears.

The mom goes to New York tomorrow to meet her sister to try to get her asylum claim adjudicated. But all legal papers are in English and she doesn’t know how to find a lawyer. It is a Notice to Appear but with no date. It’s nearly impossible for her to comply with this,

but if she doesn’t show up, she’s an “immigration fugitive” and there’s an order of removal.

They are all fleeing violence. Seeking refuge. This is not how we should be treating them. 

I broke down at the end of the day.

The cruelty is the point and it comes from the most powerful person in the world. 

Edited by retread
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Should have ended with "Have you no decency sir?"

Christ we are a country run by monsters. We treat these folks, be it an adult or child, equally shitty. That was sad, but powerful to watch. Anyone who wants to say he is just playing the game on that is worthless. That was from the heart. It does not mean he is infallible and has not or will not say something dumb, but that was good. We need more of that from our elected officials when they are blatantly being lied to in a hearing.

24 minutes ago, retread said:

Family Case Management System (Obama) was very successful with very good rates of appearance at court dates. Cheeto shut it down b/c Obama. Suck it libs.

This is true. There are republicans in favor of this. Senator Graham being one at one point

Edited by Revolution512