Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT

Spoiler

Recruiting Matters

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond

The recruitment of the 6-foot-4, 275-pounder remains the same as the last few weeks. The first school out of Bledsoe’s mouth is Oklahoma. The first coach relationship out of his mouth when asked is Bo Davis. Nick Saban has had at least two zoom calls with Bledsoe. Texas A&M is very much in it, and there is some pressure in the community to pick the nearby Aggies. Long way to go in this one but certainly a recruitment worth fighting for.

DE DJ Wesolak, Boonville (MO)

The 6-foot-5, 236-pound defensive end speaks with Sarkisian and PK almost daily. Wesolak is initiating some of those conversations as well, including calling Sarkisian to chat Wednesday. Clemson and Notre Dame continue to be the two schools mentioned the most, but any notion that Wesolak is a lock for Notre Dame shouldn’t be believed at this point. Wesolak won’t go where there is an overload at his position. The Clemson offer is the one IT is following closest right now. Texas A&M is another that is recruiting the Missouri EDGE prospect heavily.

OL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (Los Angeles, CA)

While Texas continues to build solid in-state relationships with offensive line talent, its looking out west as well. At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, the four-star from California is another example of Sarkisian using his west coast roots. He didn’t grow up watching college football, rather the NFL. He loved the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers.

He’s looking for a program with a good entrepreneurship program because he would like to major in business. Point: Texas.

Coach Andre Coleman actually played with Greene’s dad in the NFL and they’ve built a pretty good relationship with Coach Flood and Coach Sark while they were at Alabama, and now UT.

He’s eager to visit Austin, and could schedule something sooner than later. He’s looking at a June trip.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound four-star receiver is looking at a June official visit to Austin. Williams tells IT he’s scheduling an official visit to Austin in June. That gives the staff just enough time to truly figure out its receiver board.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Tuihalamaka 

Hide contents

A quick note here on 2022 4-star Cali linebacker, Niuafe Junior Tuihalamaka (Bishop Alemany).

He tells me that he is working on setting up an official visit with Texas for the month of June. That of course is assuming the NCAA doesn’t extend the dead period again.

Texas is very much in striking distance on this one and I don’t think Junior will wait too long after his OVs to make a decision. Little doubt Notre Dame will also be one of his June officials. Last I spoke with Junior, I got the sense they were the team to beat.

Would assume this will be the same weekend as CJ. So those two and Murphy would be a huge attraction to any of the other big out of state guys that are on the fence about visiting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sark is following him, and Choate/PK have been for a bit, so I think so? Odd one, though. Maybe he hates reporters.

He is also pretty highly thought of - seems small but at least he plays linebacker so you already know he has the right mentality to play close to the line of scrimmage.

7 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

His 247 page shows OVs to aggy (6/4) and USC (6/11). Let's hope our bag is bigger.

Not that kind of recruitment

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Well that's pesky. I was expecting a commitment before then especially with the recent CBs

He may still. Most of our commits will still take their OVs (as they should). There will just be more class instability. If decommits make you queasy, unplug through the summer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Facts. This summer will be a bloodbath. 

So true. NCAA is so dumb. These kids are playing 7v7, working out with people, practicing, but no we won't allow visits for a whole 2.5 more months. They should lift this shit as of May 1 at the latest.

• Hook 'Em 2

Nick Harris:  Allen four-star guard Neto Umeozulu discusses interest in Texas

Spoiler

Allen four-star guard Neto Umeozulu discusses interest in Texas

Nick Harris

ARLINGTON, Texas — With some of the best offensive linemen and defensive linemen in the region in action on Sunday at Under Armour's All-American Camp Series stop in Dallas, Allen (Texas) four-star offensive guard Neto Umeozulu was one of the bigger names competing in one-on-ones.

In one-on-ones, Umeozulu competed well in his two reps despite planning on not participating in the competitive session.

"At first, I wasn't planning on doing one-on-ones because my trainer and coaches didn't want me to risk anything," Umeozulu said. "But they kept calling my name and I couldn't help myself so I got my two reps in."

On the recruitment side of things, USC, Baylor, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida State, Arizona State, Texas and Texas A&M are the schools that have been in consistent contact. For Texas, Umeozulu has been in contact with offensive line coach Kyle Flood and head coach Steve Sarkisian.

"With them coming from Alabama, they have a culture of winning," he said. "I guess they just want to flip the script and build something over there."

The "All Gas, No Brakes" mantra that the new Texas staff has brought to Austin is something that Umeozulu is buying into, especially when looking at the 2022 class that they're building.

"Their motto is 'All Gas, No Brakes' so they have their foot on the throttle right now and they're bringing in a lot of guys," Umeozulu said. "They're trying to build something up front too."

Umeozulu is also looking for a school that can prioritize his academic needs as he looks to major in business in college.

"I'm trying to major in business and the McCombs school is a great school and the education is great at UT," he said. "Education is up there for me and then being developed."

Umeozulu plans to get out to all of his in-state considerations first including Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and more if visits open up in the summer.

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, Umeozulu is the No. 240 ranked prospect in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 7 offensive guard in the country and the No. 45 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike Roach:  TreVonte' Citizen details recruitment, contact with Texas

Spoiler

TreVonte' Citizen details recruitment, contact with Texas

Mike Roach

ATLANTA — TreVonte' Citizene Citizen has a busy schedule.

The four-star running back from Lake Charles (La.) College Prep holds 17 offers, and he hears from a multitude of schools daily. He’s been able to forge a relationship with several coaches at those schools

"Texas A&M, Texas, La Tech, LSU, Mississippi, Arkansas," Citizen told 247Sports last week. "There's a lot of them. Georgia Tech, coach Choice. Arkansas, coach Jimmy Smith. La Tech, coach Brock. Colorado, coach Darren Hagen. Mississippi State, coach (Mason) Smith,” he said.

Citizen said that Texas is one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. He talks often with many of the coaches, and he’s been able to forge a bond with Texas Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris.

"Like I've been saying, they're family coaches. B-Harris is like my big brother,” Citizen said. “We always chat, we always clown. It's like a real family over there."

The Longhorns already hold a commitment from Jaydon Blue. Citizen said he’s not opposed to playing with another big name back, and he’s aware of Blue’s skillset.

"I don't mind having a running back with another running back,” Citizen said. “He's an amazing, great running back. Two of us in the backfield is scary."

Citizen plans to make a decision during his senior year, and he has some key factors in his recruitment.

"That atmosphere, that family atmosphere. Education of course. Me being able to grow not only as a player, but as a man at that program."

At 6-feet, 217 pounds, Citizen is ranked as the No. 15 running back in the nation and No. 10 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

It's over.

Damn so where are we at on Murphy at this point.  I know that his o-line and team is garbage but at this point I think Cole Lourd looks like a better QB than he does.  I get he's only started 2 games but he is a lot less polished than I expected.  

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Geezus that’s worse than most of the junior high fields I played on.  And that includes a couple that had ant hills on them

Every single time Texas takes an OOS kid: "wow it's like other states don't care about this level of the sport nearly as much as we do!"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Damn so where are we at on Murphy at this point.  I know that his o-line and team is garbage but at this point I think Cole Lourd looks like a better QB than he does.  I get he's only started 2 games but he is a lot less polished than I expected.  

He has NFL tools and needs a 4 year plan to use them. Sooo he'd be a fun and cool complement to someone like, just spitballing, Quinn Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 5

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Serra pulls it out in overtime 12-6. Hasn’t been the prettiest couple of games but Maalik reminded me of something postgame: both of their opponents thus far have had 3-4 months in pads and Serra had three weeks before the opener to prep. Sloppy play can be attributed to that. Maalik is also dealing with a pair of undisclosed injuries that he suffered last week.

He hasn’t been nearly satisfied with his performance and he admitted that he has a ton to work on but he’s progressively getting better as he gets more reps in. I’m excited to see how Murphy and this team performs in game six as compared to these first two games.

If his commitment ends up sticking, he watches and learns for minimum two seasons barring injury to whoever the starter happens to be. Kid needs some real QB coaching, thats for sure, but he has the arm and looks the part.

He has NFL tools and needs a 4 year plan to use them. Sooo he'd be a fun and cool complement to someone like, just spitballing, Quinn Ewers.
I'm hoping the Ewers family are monitoring Junipero Serra games like we are..

Maalik seems pretty locked in to being a Longhorn, not sure Ewers flipping would scare him away. It would be nice to have the luxury of both..but not counting on it.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting