Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

It's not like he can just come out and tell us that Ewers is already a silent flip. That's not his style. 

of all the players in the entire country, Ewers is the least likely to be a silent at this point IMO. doesn't help him or recruiting to be a silent flip, he just needs to either wait for results at Texas to flip and not talk any change in status until then.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Super K) Recruiting Updates | Brooks, Ross & Mathews

Spoiler

***To follow up on on my Kris Ross trending Texas post from last Friday, I wanted to make an additional note.

I got word on Ross from a source close to Ross. But I took the Chris McClellan (2022 DL out of Owasso, OK) as corroborating evidence that the Sooners didn’t feel good about where they stand with Ross.

After seeing McClellan over the weekend, I’m not sure that’s the case. Darius and CJ had mentioned he was the best looking DL at the UA camp. I had to see him in person myself. He’s bigger than Ross and every bit as athletic. So, that offer appears to not be connected to Ross.

But I did check with a source on the OU side and the sense over there is indeed that Ross is trending Texas.

So, we got to the same place but for a different reason.

***As I’ve previously noted, 5-star DB Jacoby Mathews is very high on Texas and my latest conversation with him prompted me to put Texas in a position tied at 1st with LSU and Florida.

Mathews tells me he will most definitely take an OV to Texas in June. But, he has not scheduled it just yet.

***Also, spoke with someone close to 2022 DB Terrance Brooks (John Paul II). If Brooks isn’t the best DB in the state, he’s certainly one of them.

Source seems to believe that while things are still moving around, Texas and OU are likely fighting one another somewhere near the top. Notre Dame, Bama, TCU and others are still very much in the mix and visits will obviously have an impact.

Terrance tells me he is going to be taking official visits in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I got word on Ross from a source close to Ross. But I took the Chris McClellan (2022 DL out of Owasso, OK) as corroborating evidence that the Sooners didn’t feel good about where they stand with Ross.

After seeing McClellan over the weekend, I’m not sure that’s the case. Darius and CJ had mentioned he was the best looking DL at the UA camp. I had to see him in person myself. He’s bigger than Ross and every bit as athletic.

This has just the slightest whiff of aggy to it. We aren't getting our target, but we have a bigger better one!

7 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Didn't know Josh Cochran was coaching or that he was at Austin Peay. That's pretty cool.

He's a big time up-and-comer, that entire Peay staff (starting with Walden) should be on everyone's "guys we are watching" list. 

It is very interesting how different of an approach we are taking for OVs vs. Aggy. They are completely front-loading theirs, getting all their commits, Anderson, and Perkins on the very first weekend (I don't love Anderson in that group). Meanwhile we haven't scheduled a single one.

Not sure which approach I like better. I know everyone always wants the last visit, but that doesn't help if they've already committed and we know how Aggy vi$it$ go down.

Harris on Tuihalamaka

Spoiler

MISSION HILLS, Calif. — As Texas' recruiting efforts in the state of California continue to expand, a major target in the Golden State that remains one of the biggest prospects left on the 2022 board is Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany four-star linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka.

As his spring season has swung into full gear, he's been putting his energy and focus on the field, but a heated recruitment off the field continues to hold a big presence.

"The experience is a little off," Tuihalamaka said about the spring season. "Everyone thought that the chances of having a season was very low so it's surprising to us, but we're definitely excited and grateful for the moment."

Tuihalamaka has been in heavy contact with his top five schools of Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford and Arizona State as well as USC where he was previously committed to. At Texas, he stays in communication with linebackers coach Jeff Choate and defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski routinely.

"Great guy, I definitely love his energy," he said about Choate. "He has a great background where he was able to coach both sides of the ball. Also with Coach K at Washington, I definitely love both of them. I like their scheme and formation and how they see me in there."

He also stays in communication with Steve Sarkisian and has appreciated his family vibe during his recruitment.

"I talk to Coach Sark once a week," Tuihalamaka said. "Definitely a great guy, Cali vibe with him. He also talks to my parents which is another thing I love about him, he's family-oriented. For sure, I'm gonna go out there to take an official visit so I'm excited to see them."

When visits open up, Tuihalamaka plans to get out to each of his top five schools to see whatever catches his attention before making a decision.

"Whatever catches my eye," he said. "Whatever me and my family can see myself growing as a person as well as a student-athlete. There's nothing prioritized. It's more so a family a decision and where I can come in and start, get a great education and a great platform for myself to get to the next level."

At 6-foot-1.5, 238 pounds, Tuihalamaka is the No. 68 overall ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 3 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 8 recruit in the state of California.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Harris on Tuihalamaka

Reveal hidden contents

MISSION HILLS, Calif. — As Texas' recruiting efforts in the state of California continue to expand, a major target in the Golden State that remains one of the biggest prospects left on the 2022 board is Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany four-star linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka.

As his spring season has swung into full gear, he's been putting his energy and focus on the field, but a heated recruitment off the field continues to hold a big presence.

"The experience is a little off," Tuihalamaka said about the spring season. "Everyone thought that the chances of having a season was very low so it's surprising to us, but we're definitely excited and grateful for the moment."

Tuihalamaka has been in heavy contact with his top five schools of Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford and Arizona State as well as USC where he was previously committed to. At Texas, he stays in communication with linebackers coach Jeff Choate and defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski routinely.

"Great guy, I definitely love his energy," he said about Choate. "He has a great background where he was able to coach both sides of the ball. Also with Coach K at Washington, I definitely love both of them. I like their scheme and formation and how they see me in there."

He also stays in communication with Steve Sarkisian and has appreciated his family vibe during his recruitment.

"I talk to Coach Sark once a week," Tuihalamaka said. "Definitely a great guy, Cali vibe with him. He also talks to my parents which is another thing I love about him, he's family-oriented. For sure, I'm gonna go out there to take an official visit so I'm excited to see them."

When visits open up, Tuihalamaka plans to get out to each of his top five schools to see whatever catches his attention before making a decision.

"Whatever catches my eye," he said. "Whatever me and my family can see myself growing as a person as well as a student-athlete. There's nothing prioritized. It's more so a family a decision and where I can come in and start, get a great education and a great platform for myself to get to the next level."

At 6-foot-1.5, 238 pounds, Tuihalamaka is the No. 68 overall ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 3 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 8 recruit in the state of California.

@Burt Macklin What are the ILB coverage responsibilities in PKs defense? I'm perfectly happy missing out on Tuihalamaka and his *checks notes* over 5 second(!) laser 40 at LB if the answer is more than none. Although, he does make an interesting 4i candidate, which....maybe he should recommit to the University of Texas at Southern California.

1 hour ago, Rhinotx said:

We could kill it in 7v7

Except not really because our WRs/DBs aren’t actually that great, we just have a lot of them. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

@Burt Macklin What are the ILB coverage responsibilities in PKs defense? I'm perfectly happy missing out on Tuihalamaka and his *checks notes* over 5 second(!) laser 40 at LB if the answer is more than none. Although, he does make an interesting 4i candidate, which....maybe he should recommit to the University of Texas at Southern California.

PK’s pretty varied because of all the formations he uses, but he definitely asks both ILBs to cover.  Most of his ILBs seemed to be about 230 or under. I question whether Tui has the mobility to fit, but it’s hard to say without having camps where he tests or you get to see him move in coverage against RBs. 

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Generally speaking (when they aren't blitzing or delayed blitz/spying), he has his ILBs get a lot of depth to help the safeties in the mid and deep areas, which in turn sometimes gives easy completions to RBs and other short yardage passes, although his safeties and LBs have been good aggressive tacklers. So more range for drops and for coming down hill to tackle faster is important. I've always thought though that Poly's frequently play faster than they test. Also good ILBs can make up for less speed with better play reading, better reaction times, etc. What you really don't want though is someone who's stiff and can't change directions, like Adeoye

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lulz if he ends up picking aggy and that offense.  He's already got Florida and aggy OV's set up.  Probably Bama' and Georgia will get one as well.  Who else would be in contention besides us for the last one?

Oregon 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting