Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

33 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Isn’t that a laser time? Because a laser 4.59 is really fucking good, esp at 6’2” at this age/stage. 

that was likely a 4.3 on a lot of stopwatches 

Yeah, I was going to say that a guy who runs a laser 4.59 is absolutely "a 4.4 prospect" in common usage. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4.59 seems at least adequate for cfb given Winfield doesn’t rely on his speed. Not sure how well he separates—Is this the reason for Gerry’s skepticism?
CeeDee Lamb ran a 4.50 at 6’2”, 198 lbs. at the combine. I wouldn’t think Winfield running a 4.59 before his senior year of hs would be a red flag, especially for a guy with his size and skills.
4.59 laser timed at his size is a lot more than "adequate" for cfb
  • Hook 'Em 1

TFB: Observations from Under Armour Camp

Spoiler

OFFENSE

*** Allen 2022 OL Neto Umeozulu is built like a brick wall and has the length that coaches covet as well. The big man is agile and has a mean streak. I left Arlington believing that he is undoubtedly one of the best available in 2022. Legitimate 6’3 280+.

*** Arlington Bowie 2022 OL Devon Campbell lived up to his 5-Star billing. Campbell only need 3 reps for it to be made abundantly clear that he was one of the alpha dogs in attendance in the trenches on Sunday. 6’3 310+.

*** Houston Summer Creek 2022 OT Kelvin Banks checks a ton of boxes physically. The big man is athletic, with long arms, and very little bad weight. The upside clearly exists for a Sunday player. Legitimate 6’5 300+. 

*** I didn’t see Duncanville 2022 OT Jaylen Early get too many reps, but he held his own in the few that I did see. Early appears to be in the 6’3 280lb range. Major Sooner target.

*** Oklahoma 2022 C Demetrius Hunter looked like a natural in his couple of reps at Center. “Pancake” tried to get him one on each rep. Powerful, nasty player. 6’2 300+.

*** Texas A&M OT commit Hunter Erb took home OL MVP honors and had what was likely the most dominant rep of the day against a poor 2023 soul. Legitimate 6’5-6’6. 

*** Duncanville 2022 OL Cameron Williams had an up-and-down showing in his handful of reps. It can be difficult to judge OL in these types of settings. One thing that isn’t questionable is his size. He’s a legitimate 6’6 325+. Williams holds an OU offer.

*** I thought that Frisco 2022 OL Cole Hutson had himself a nice day. He’s got some nice feet to go along with a promising frame. Hutson is a legitimate 6’4 300lbs. Major Sooner and Longhorn target.

*** 2022 Texas WR commit Armani Winfield may have had the best day out of all of the Wide Receivers in attendance on Sunday. It was also reported that Winfield posted one of the fastest 40-yard dashes in UA Camp history. Still working on getting that time (I believe it was in the high 4.3 range.) Legitimate 6’3 195+. 

*** Frisco Liberty 2022 WR Evan Stewart took all of his reps against some of the best guys in attendance. Stewart is sleek moving around the field, although the timing was often off today with unfamiliar QBs. Stewart is not a big guy at all. 5’11 160+.

*** I found myself impressed with 2022 Oklahoma WR commit WR Talyn Shettron. He’s very fluid for his size and made some tough contested grabs look easy. He’s going to be a good one. Legitimate 6’2 180+.

*** Pilot Point 2022 ATH Ish Harris is being recruited by most to play on the Defensive side of the ball (mostly LB) but decided to compete at RB during the camp because “LB is boring at camps.” Harris is a fluid athlete and is bigger than I was expecting. Legitimate 6’3 200lbs. 

*** Tyler Legacy 2022 RB Jamarion Miller was just too quick and fast for the LBs to keep up with on Sunday. He earned himself an invite to the UA All-American Game with his performance. 5’10 190ish. 

DEFENSE

*** Off the bat, Arlington Martin’s DE Ernest Cooper was spectacular. He received his Under Armour game invite and was recognized as one of the camp’s top performers. Cooper has a tremendous frame and build. Looks like a future NFL talent.

*** Texas commit and teammate of Cooper, Arlington Martin’s Trevell Johnson had one of the best days of anyone at the camp. He moves like a safety and is able to make plays on the football that are pretty eye-popping. I really liked what I saw from him on Sunday.

*** When I went to Carthage and HC Scott Surratt told me LB Kip Lewis might be the best athlete he has ever coached, he wasn’t lying. Lewis shined all afternoon in one-on-one’s. He might just be the most athletic linebacker in the state.

*** Sooners DB target Jarred Kerr made a very nice interception on an out-route. He was not asked to do it much in high school, but if he is moved to cornerback, there will be a learning curve of playing press man. Regardless, very impressive outing.

*** I mentioned it briefly on the OU side, but the size of Chris McClellan is simply absurd. He’s listed at 6’4″ and I have no doubt that he is. Texas and OU have yet to offer, and if they don’t soon, you may as well put a pin in this one. On the contrary, Bear Alexander was surprisingly smaller than I anticipated in comparison to other DT’s in attedance.

*** Perhaps the best DB in attendance was 2022 John Paul II CB Terrance Brooks. In one-on-one’s, Brooks lined up against Evan Stewart and successfully won both reps with step-for-step coverage.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

*** I mentioned it briefly on the OU side, but the size of Chris McClellan is simply absurd. He’s listed at 6’4″ and I have no doubt that he is. Texas and OU have yet to offer, and if they don’t soon, you may as well put a pin in this one. On the contrary, Bear Alexander was surprisingly smaller than I anticipated in comparison to other DT’s in attedance.

https://247sports.com/player/chris-mcclellan-46100996/

Mike Roach:  Texas in the thick of the race for four-star OL Cole Hutson

Spoiler

Texas in the thick of the race for four-star OL Cole Hutson

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Cole Hutson is starting to see his recruitment ramp up.

The four-star offensive guard from Frisco has been a name to know for over a year now and he's trying to keep an open mind when it comes to the schools recruiting him.

"Texas, Texas A&M, OU, Alabama, Penn State, OSU," he said. "I'm trying to keep everything open before the dead period gets released and then cut it down a little bit. I want to be able to prioritize some schools and build on those relationships when it gets later in the year. I'm trying to just have all of my options and go at it as if I'm just starting recruiting."

Hutson wanted to make a decision this spring, but he was unable to take visits because of the NCAA dead period. Now, his timeline is pushing back in anticipation of summer visits becoming available.

"I wanted to do it before the year before they extended the dead period, but that kind of put a halt in that," Hutson said. "I want to be able to talk to the coaches and see how they do in practice and how they treat their guys. I just want to see how they do things and I want to see that with the schools I'm going to prioritize."

The Longhorns have been making a strong push lately with thanks to the changes they made on the coaching staff. Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood have both been heavily involved in the recruiting process and Texas is making a big impression.

"Texas is great," he said. "Coach Sarkisian does a great job. He's going to go in the right direction with the program which is really cool and really exciting. Before, Texas wasn't on my radar with Tom Herman because I didn't know what was going to happen. Coach Sarkisian came in with coach Flood and threw a whole new curveball, but it was a good curveball. It's going to be cool to be able to build my relationship with him and get to see practice and games. I'm really excited with that relationship."

Hutson recently took a few self-guided visits and Texas was on the agenda. Hutson was able to take in the city and the campus and he was also able to see the McCombs Business School as education will be a factor in his recruitment.

"It was beautiful," he said. "There's everything imaginable you can do in a city like that. I can see why the city is so highly ranked in the United States of America. It's great because there's just so much to do outside of school and football. If you want to get away from it a little bit you can go right up the street and you are out of the college life. It's really cool to see that there's so much to do outside of football. The campus is just really beautiful and it's all modern. It was really cool to be there and walk on campus. To see the McCombs Business School was really cool."

Hutson was also able to see Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium and the renovations being made. He as blown away with how the facility was starting to come along.

"It's great," he said. "The gate was open so they let me in and wow, it was beautiful. From a football perspective, I'd love to see myself on that jumbotron. 220 million dollars definitely isn't going to waste. I'm excited for the new renovations they are going to have."

Aside from the education, the Texas staff is pushing development. Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian have a strong track record there, and Hutson is watching to see how those changes work at Texas.

"Definitely the fact that they can grow me and put me in the position to be better than the rest of my competition and I'd be ready for the NFL," Hutson said. "Coach Flood has done it before and coach Sarkisian as well, so I'm really excited to see that and see the turnout from that."

At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, Hutson is ranked as the No. 9 offensive guard in the country and No. 44 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 5

Nick Harris:  Texas pitching Kevin Coleman playing a similar role to Waddle, Smith

Spoiler

Texas pitching Kevin Coleman playing a similar role to Waddle, Smith

Nick Harris

THE WOODLANDS, Texas — St. Louis (Mo.) St. Mary's five star wide receiver Kevin Coleman became an even bigger priority for the Texas staff this past week after the decommitment of Evan Stewart.

As the Longhorns will look to replace Stewart's speed and playmaking ability with someone with the same traits, Coleman becomes one of the biggest priorities on the offensive side of the ball in the 2022 recruiting cycle.

Wide receivers coach Andre Coleman and head coach Steve Sarkisian remain in steady daily contact with Coleman, as they have focused on building a solid relationship with a prospect who is in seek of a strong bond with his coaches at the next level.

"Me and Coach Coleman have been building a relationship for over a year now," Coleman said. "We talk every day, me and Coach Sark talk every day too. We don't always even talk about football, he will just check in and talk to me. That's a big thing for me, relationships. It's the most important thing. I want to have a good vibe with the coaches and I want to go to a school where they will have my back."

Sarkisian has been able to pitch Coleman on playing a role similar to what Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith were able to play in Sarkisian's offenses in Tuscaloosa the past two seasons.

"Coach Sark wants to move me everywhere but they compare me a lot to the receivers they use at Alabama," he said. "The way they used Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith."

Coleman has spent a good amount of time in the state of Texas this spring playing 7-on-7 with FAST Houston, alongside Texas commits Jaydon Blue and Jaylon Guilbeau, and participating in tournaments in Houston.

"I love the vibe, they're some cool guys to play with," he said. "I just love the state of Texas right now, good vibes and good weather, big state, big fanbase. Those are all things I love."

Alabama, Oregon, Arizona State, Florida State, USC, Texas, Penn State and Georgia are all schools that remain in the picture at this point, according to Coleman, as he will look to trim down his top eight after taking visits when/if the NCAA dead period is lifted.

"I'm waiting on some visits to open up, that's the biggest thing right now," he said. "I want to feel the vibe on campus and my parents want to get out to the schools in my top eight."

As of now, the plan for Coleman is to commit on January 8 at the 2022 All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

At 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, Coleman is the No. 15 ranked overall prospect in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports. He is the No. 2 wide receiver in the country and the No. 2 recruit from the state of Missouri.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick Harris:  North Shore DT Kristopher Ross details communication with Texas ahead of decision

Spoiler

North Shore DT Kristopher Ross details communication with Texas ahead of decision

Nick Harris

ARLINGTON, Texas — Galena Park (Texas) North Shore defensive tackle Kristopher Ross emerged on the recruiting scene after the conclusion of his junior season as he exploded with offers from 14 schools, including nine from Power Five institutions.

Despite his process being in its early stages, Ross is planning on committing on March 23 with Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Baylor and Ole Miss all in the hunt.

"Communication has been good with Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Baylor," Ross said. "We all have good relationships and I have a good relationship with Coach Joyner at Ole Miss. I'm really focusing on relationships right now. I'm talking with my coaches and evaluating everybody."

Ross' communication with Texas has gone through defensive line coach Bo Davis and head coach Steve Sarkisian, as Ross has built a good relationship with both in the two months since being offered.

"Coach Davis is a good coach," he said. "He's got a plan for me, he's not just free-styling everything. Coach Sarkisian is a good head coach. Coming in new and trying to start something, it's cool. This year, I feel like they can do way better than last year."

With a week left before a decision is made, Ross will focus on which schools have shown him the most love and the relationships he's built with them in recent weeks to ultimately come to a decision next Tuesday.

"I've pretty much evaluated everything so now it's just up to what I wanna do," he said.

At 6-foot-3, 280 pounds, Ross is the No. 430 ranked recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 35 defensive tackle in the country and the No. 58 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

By: Gerry and Justin

We catch up with a pair of targets at linebacker and defensive tackle, plus a Texas pledge talks opening a pipeline. Enjoy the evening news.

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage:

He’s a new-level of wide open. The four-star and state champion outside linebacker wants us all to know.

Lewis is the definition of overwhelmed by the recruiting process, but not in a negative fashion. He is trying to maximize his opportunities, which includes bringing his volleyball-playing twin sister along with him.

Texas, OU, USC, LSU, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M are all schools that Lewis is in contact with, and the Horns have actually reached out to his sister. (it’s unknown what level of interest, but a PWO might be most tangible)

At 6-foot-2.5 and 200 pounds, he’s really just settling in.

“At this point, I really don’t have any favorites,” said Lewis. “I’m soaking everything in and building relationships with coaches across the country.”

He looked really good on Sunday. His state championship performance wasn’t a fluke. He’s certainly worthy. And Texas agrees.

“I talk to Coach Gideon, Coach Sark, and Coach K (Kwiatkowski),” said Lewis. “We’ll do a Zoom meeting or virtual tour. I really want to see Austin up close.”

So much so he’s looking at a student visit in the very near future. For now, it’s more phone calls, text messages, and Zooming.

If there’s one kid that needs the dead period to die, it’s Kip Lewis.

As of today, Texas has as good a shot at Lewis as anyone. If there’s one thing his family prefers, it’s staying close. - JW

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin (TEXAS):

After speaking with Johnson on Sunday, two things were apparent: he loves Texas and Morice Blackwell.

The three-star was at home, literally. His performance was good enough for Under Armour All America Camp LB MVP honors. Just don’t call it home-field advantage, Johnson looked sharp.

There’s a Texas vibe at Martin High School too.

With teammate Morice Blackwell inked for the Class of 2021, and sophomore Javien Toviano offered and prioritized by the UT staff in the 2023 class, there’s some shade of burnt Orange around Martin High’s black and silver.

“Everyone comes up to me and says, ‘hey, Texas, what’s up, Texas?’ said Johnson. “I love Morice. He’s one of the reasons I committed to Texas. I look up to him and want to accomplish the same. Great guy on and off the field, and just a role model for me since my freshman year.”

What about Toviano, who might be a Top 5-10 in-state prospect for 2023?

“I remind him all the time where he’s going,” said Johnson with a big smile. “He’s not ready yet, but (Morice and I) are going to get him. He’s a straight-up dog.”

The new staff came at Johnson early and often and he decided to pull the trigger in February. Still solid, but he’d like to take a few visits, especially on the West Coast. Oregon, USC, and Cal are still pursuing somewhat. - JW

LB Derrick Brown, Texas High:

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound outside backer made the long trek from Texarkana on Sunday. Anything for exposure, something Brown hasn’t had a difficult time finding.

The usual suspects are in this sweepstakes - Texas, OU, Texas A&M - and Arkansas and Colorado are making credible pushes as well.

“I just wanted to come here and compete,” said Brown. “Anything to get better and keep myself going.”

There was some OU buzz surrounding Brown last week, even whispers of a impending pledge. Those were false. But former teammate Clayton Smith keeps the Sooners in the thick of things.

“I’m looking at taking June visits, then hopefully getting my list narrowed down and committing soon after,” Brown insists. “I Zoomed with UT last week. Coach K (Kwiatkowski) and Coach Choate are great. They love my size and versatility.”

He’s getting looks at Jack, with potential to put his hand in the ground. With his frame and bend, his upside is obvious. And he has that @Gerry Hamilton wingspan.

Texas might be one of those visits this summer, if/when they become a real thing once again. - JW

Defensive line update:

One of Texas’ defensive tackle targets is set to make a student visit this weekend. North Shore’s Kristopher Ross is scheduled to make a trip to Los Angeles this weekend to take a look at USC before announcing his commitment March 23. Texas remains the favorite headed into the USC visit. Oklahoma and LSU are also in contention. Ross has a family connection that is successful in the music industry who lives in Los Angeles part time. Ross quietly made a student visit to Austin last month, and Ross and his mother came away impressed with the campus and city of Austin.

The Longhorns continue to have really positive conversations with Bremond’s Jaray Bledsoe and Domonique Orange from North Kansas City High in Missouri. Bledsoe continues to be a battle between Texas A&M and Texas, who are both trying to keep him from going out of state to Alabama or Oklahoma. Bledsoe and his mother have become fans of Bo Davis’ recruiting approach, which is academic and player development targeted.

Orange has had constant communication with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis per a source in the Kansas City area. The Longhorns’ main competition currently appears to be Oregon, Florida State, Michigan and Oklahoma. - GH

• Hook 'Em 1

(Mike Roach)

Mike at Night: Thoughts from my stop at Denton Ryan (2022 recruits)

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts from my stop at Denton Ryan

Mike Roach

— 2022 Denton Ryan cornerback Austin Jordan recently released a Top 3 consisting of Texas, Oklahoma and Ohio State. While this could indicate a decision is close, Jordan plans to take his time with the process. He said that he often talks with Terry Joseph and has spoken with Steve Sarkisian on several occasions. Ja'Tavion Sanders has also been in his ear about joining him at Texas as well. With all that said, I feel Oklahoma is the school still pushing the hardest for him at the moment. I feel good with my Crystal Ball on the Sooners, but we will see how things change following visits in the summer if they are allowed.

— 2022 Ryan defensive tackle Bear Alexander chose Georgia just over a month ago, but that hasn't stopped schools from trying to change his mind. Texas is in that mix as Bo Davis and Jeff Banks work to change his mind. Alexander says he's locked in at the moment, but this is a recruitment that will go all the way until signing day. If visits are open in the summer, Texas will have a big opportunity. Alexander said he wants to take all five of his official trips when they are made available to him. If Texas wants Alexander in the fold, they will need to continue to recruit him hard.

— Carrollton Creekview tight end Sean Sallis made a visit to Austin today with his family. Sallis has been proactive about getting out and seeing campuses on his own during the dead period. As I reported a few weeks ago, Texas has been in contact with the big pass catcher and Jeff Banks is keeping the lines of communication open. Sallis told me he enjoyed the city of Austin and seeing what he could of the campus and facility. This is a name to keep an eye on as Texas continues to evaluate him for the tight end spot in its class.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was this year's Ryan the most loaded defense in TXHS history? I remember reading about Carter when they had Armistead and Evans and those guys but Ryan has 4 Nat 100 recruits in their jr and sr seasons plus guys like Marsh and Jordan and Im sure I missed one or two that will play for Power 5 schools in college. I guess time will tell how these guys turn out but I cant remember a TX HS team with as much top level talent

Just now, cmontexas said:

Was this year's Ryan the most loaded defense in TXHS history? I remember reading about Carter when they had Armistead and Evans and those guys but Ryan has 4 Nat 100 recruits in their jr and sr seasons plus guys like Marsh and Jordan and Im sure I missed one or two that will play for Power 5 schools in college. I guess time will tell how these guys turn out but I cant remember a TX HS team with as much top level talent

By talent or by numbers? Daingerfields defense in the 80s is arguably the best. 

I mean in terms of top end nationally recruited talent. No one will ever match that Daingerfield defense in terms of dominance, especially in this era of modern offense. I guess Northshore, Duncanville and Allen put out a ton of P5 recruits every year. But I dont remember a team having as highly rated a core as Bowman, Sanders, Hill, Alexander and Marsh

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There should be a small school and big school list because if Daingerfield is #1 of all time then some of these recent Carthage teams need love too or Quan's Mart Panthers or Jack Dallas West Orange Stark.

As far as this list goes I mostly agree and 2013 Allen probably beats every team on this list, although 2016 Katy and this year's Westlake teams would give them a damn fun game

4 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Came over here to post the same thing, seems kind of weird. Coach needs to supplement his income flipping video game systems? 

I’m going to tell my aggy friends I heard he’s telegraphing to recruits free PS4s for everyone. 

Edited by UncleSonny

22 minutes ago, Cooterhorn said:
HAS BEEN HACKED!! Disregard all DMs and other weird activity from the account until further notice!!!

Sark needs to change his password from allgasnobrakes.   Too obvious.  

Mike Roach:  Longhorns top of mind for Louisiana wide receiver Shazz Preston

Spoiler

Longhorns top of mind for Louisiana wide receiver Shazz Preston

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Shazz Preston has some of the most impressive tape of any receiver in the country. The four-star prospect from Saint James (La.) High School holds nearly 20 offers, and the Longhorns are one of the schools in the mix for him. Preston and Andre Coleman have been building a relationship for a while, and that has the Longhorns high on his list.

“They stand really high,” he said. “Coach Coleman and the rest of the coaching staff keep on me and keep up with me and check in on a daily basis. They just check on me throughout the offseason and keep in contact to keep a close relationship.”

Coleman has the reputation as a direct and honest coach. Preston said that the genuine nature Coleman communicates with is enticing to him.

“He’s a pretty straightforward dude,” he said. “He always keeps it a stack with me. He’s really straightforward. He’s just a straight dude. He’s the kind of guy you want around especially during these times just so they will keep it real with you.”

Steve Sarkisian is also involved in this recruitment. The Texas head coach is running a college football empire, but he still finds time to reach out and communicate with Preston.

“Any time that he gets to hit up recruits he reaches out to ask how I’m doing,” Preston said. “He’s another straightforward dude. He just tells me how he wants to get me the ball and stuff like that. He’s just a great guy.”

Preston was able to see Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama, and he feels that he’s bringing a winning mentality to Austin.

“I think it will be similar,” he said. “I think coach Sark and the rest of the coaching staff is going to flip the program and bring that mentality from Bama to Texas.”

A few other schools are top of mind for Preston at the moment. LSU will always be a major factor for Louisiana kids, and some other familiar southeast programs are making a push for him.

“LSU is there because they are my hometown,” he said. “They are always keeping up with me and keeping in contact with me. Florida State, Alabama and Mississippi State are in there too. My brother goes there.”

When it comes time to make his decision, Preston is looking for a program that checks all of the boxes.

“A place that feels like home,” he said. “A place that’s the best fit for me and the best situation for me. A place with a good quarterback and a good environment and a good history.”

At 6-feet, 190 pounds, Preston is ranked as the No. 10 wide receiver in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't realize LSU already has 3 WR commitments. We have had 3 WR commitments too, but only 1 still standing. Hopefully that is a good thing and not LSU passing on this kid. Hopefully it is just leaving that 4th spot open for him and thinking they can get him whenever they want.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Didn't realize LSU already has 3 WR commitments. We have had 3 WR commitments too, but only 1 still standing. Hopefully that is a good thing and not LSU passing on this kid. Hopefully it is just leaving that 4th spot open for him and thinking they can get him whenever they want.

I think you’re reading this all wrong. This isn’t a scenario where LSU has better guys committed. They’re not exactly picking who they want this cycle due to incompetence on the field, locker room issues, and the sexual assault investigation. 

I don't know if it is a strong year in the state, but they have the top two committed and seem to lead for most of the top 10. If anything, they might be reading their ability to get guys in the end more than usual. I honestly have no clue and mentioned it could be either one. But they don't seem to be having any issue right now in-state.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting