Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Wells on OL targets

Spoiler

IT caught up with some of UT’s top 2021 offensive line targets on Sunday. From a birthday cake, to paintball, to brotherly love, a little more insight with a few o-line prospects. Enjoy the evening news.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek

Getting to know these guys, they often get the same questions, over and over. With Banks, I switched it up. After speaking with his parents, I see why Kelvin Jr is the way he is.

His father, Kelvin Sr, played at Wichita State. He almost went to UH with Dana Dimel out of Colleyville JC in Kansas, but found a home with the Shockers. He's a truck driver by trade, so they long trip from Humble to Arlington was nothing to him. His mother, Monica, helps train people to interview for jobs and projects.

So you see the football, workman-like mentality from his pops, and the measured-speaking comfort from his mom.

Nike or Under Armour? "UA".

Hamburger or pizza? "It depends where we're eating. Probably hamburger."

Major or future career? "Coaching. I want to be a coach."

Left tackle or right tackle? "Both. Whatever the team needs."

What is he bringing to a college program in less than a year? "Just a hard-working player. You'll never have to worry about me in the classroom or getting in trouble or getting arrested. None of that stuff. Just a smart young man that wants to better himself."

The big thing for Banks is he wants to make his parents proud. He's got siblings he looks up to and wants to emulate. This is one level-headed dude.

Football wise, Texas looks fantastic here. All you need to know.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie

He’s the best OL prospect in Texas. We know this now. If it wasn't apparent before Sunday, it's the general consensus today. After getting to know the new UT staff and Kyle Flood, the Horns message remains the same.

"That I can do something special at Texas," said Campbell. ""Help change the program around. All the tradition. Everything."

Does he feel like he's the best o-lineman in Texas?

"Yes," he told IT. "I feel like I'm the best."

He definitely wants to take his visits before he decides.

"I want to take visits before I make a decision," Campbell insisted. "When the dead period ends, I definitely want to get involved and go from there. I've been on Zoom calls and virtual visits. But that can only show you so much."

He wears size 15 shoes and looks larger than he did the last time he took an UOV to Austin in January 2020. He also keeps in touch with Tope Imade, former Arlington Bowie lineman.

"Any questions I ever have about Texas, (he) always hits me back," said Campbell. "(Tope) really likes the new staff. No complaints at all."

Football wise, Texas looks fabulous here. All you need to know.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco

At almost 6-foot-6, Hutson, like his recruiting, has grown. And any kid that takes student visits to schools to get the best possible recruiting data to make an informed decision is a kid this programs needs. He recently took a trip to Austin. He was gushing afterwards.

"It was a really good experience," said Hutson. "Just to see how much there is to do in Austin, and how big of a place it is. Campus is beautiful. I even bumped into some of my buddies from Frisco that attend UT. They showed me around. You can see the renovations. Woah. That's $220 million, and looks pretty nice already. The gate was open for the track meet so I got to go in and look around. Really, really cool just to see everything and all the construction."

This guy laughs at the NCAA dead period.

"I've tried to see as many schools as possible," Hutson insisted. "I just want to get a feel for them. If it's home, if I'm making the right decision. I'm just trying to get out there and help out my process as much as possible. Speeding it up while the NCAA keeps pushing it back."

I think he’s an interior lineman and a good one. Teams like him at center, guard and tackle. That versatility will lead to big things for Mr. Hutson.

The four-star from Frisco wants to attend UT's spring game and possibly see OU in early June. He's potentially got a tentative timeline.

"I feel like I want to narrow things down towards the end of the dead period," said Hutson. "I can focus and prioritize a few schools and make the best decision."

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen

He’s the wild card. The more I watch, the more I want. He could be a great guard or even better tackle. His mean disposition and self-discipline that his parents have instilled carries a lot of weight.

Umeozulu isn't in any hurry to decide either.

The four-star from Allen wants to take visits, just like almost every other recruit. Coach Kyle Flood continues to push for the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder's services.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, and OU are on big man's list, and seeing each school is what he prefers. If the dead period is lifted this summer, those are four schools to watch. Another helper is pursuing his 2024 brother, Zina. He too will be a nice prospect in the next few seasons, and nothing would make Neto's decision easier, or parents happier, than the duo playing at the same college.

I like Alabama here right now, but also think he's more open than he leads on.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells on OL targets

Hide contents

IT caught up with some of UT’s top 2021 offensive line targets on Sunday. From a birthday cake, to paintball, to brotherly love, a little more insight with a few o-line prospects. Enjoy the evening news.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek

Getting to know these guys, they often get the same questions, over and over. With Banks, I switched it up. After speaking with his parents, I see why Kelvin Jr is the way he is.

His father, Kelvin Sr, played at Wichita State. He almost went to UH with Dana Dimel out of Colleyville JC in Kansas, but found a home with the Shockers. He's a truck driver by trade, so they long trip from Humble to Arlington was nothing to him. His mother, Monica, helps train people to interview for jobs and projects.

So you see the football, workman-like mentality from his pops, and the measured-speaking comfort from his mom.

Nike or Under Armour? "UA".

Hamburger or pizza? "It depends where we're eating. Probably hamburger."

Major or future career? "Coaching. I want to be a coach."

Left tackle or right tackle? "Both. Whatever the team needs."

What is he bringing to a college program in less than a year? "Just a hard-working player. You'll never have to worry about me in the classroom or getting in trouble or getting arrested. None of that stuff. Just a smart young man that wants to better himself."

The big thing for Banks is he wants to make his parents proud. He's got siblings he looks up to and wants to emulate. This is one level-headed dude.

Football wise, Texas looks fantastic here. All you need to know.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie

He’s the best OL prospect in Texas. We know this now. If it wasn't apparent before Sunday, it's the general consensus today. After getting to know the new UT staff and Kyle Flood, the Horns message remains the same.

"That I can do something special at Texas," said Campbell. ""Help change the program around. All the tradition. Everything."

Does he feel like he's the best o-lineman in Texas?

"Yes," he told IT. "I feel like I'm the best."

He definitely wants to take his visits before he decides.

"I want to take visits before I make a decision," Campbell insisted. "When the dead period ends, I definitely want to get involved and go from there. I've been on Zoom calls and virtual visits. But that can only show you so much."

He wears size 15 shoes and looks larger than he did the last time he took an UOV to Austin in January 2020. He also keeps in touch with Tope Imade, former Arlington Bowie lineman.

"Any questions I ever have about Texas, (he) always hits me back," said Campbell. "(Tope) really likes the new staff. No complaints at all."

Football wise, Texas looks fabulous here. All you need to know.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco

At almost 6-foot-6, Hutson, like his recruiting, has grown. And any kid that takes student visits to schools to get the best possible recruiting data to make an informed decision is a kid this programs needs. He recently took a trip to Austin. He was gushing afterwards.

"It was a really good experience," said Huston. "Just to see how much there is to do in Austin, and how big of a place it is. Campus is beautiful. I even bumped into some of my buddies from Frisco that attend UT. They showed me around. You can see the renovations. Woah. That's $220 million, and looks pretty nice already. The gate was open for the track meet so I got to go in and look around. Really, really cool just to see everything and all the construction."

This guy laughs at the NCAA dead period.

"I've tried to see as many schools as possible," Huston insisted. "I just want to get a feel for them. If it's home, if I'm making the right decision. I'm just trying to get out there and help out my process as much as possible. Speeding it up while the NCAA keeps pushing it back."

I think he’s an interior lineman and a good one. Teams like him at center, guard and tackle. That versatility will lead to big things for Mr. Huston.

The four-star from Frisco wants to attend UT's spring game and possibly see OU in early June. He's potentially got a tentative timeline.

"I feel like I want to narrow things down towards the end of the dead period," said Huston. "I can focus and prioritize a few schools and make the best decision."

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen

He’s the wild card. The more I watch, the more I want. He could be a great guard or even better tackle. His mean disposition and self-discipline that his parents have instilled carries a lot of weight.

Umeozulu isn't in any hurry to decide either.

The four-star from Allen wants to take visits, just like almost every other recruit. Coach Kyle Flood continues to push for the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder's services.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, and OU are on big man's list, and seeing each school is what he prefers. If the dead period is lifted this summer, those are four schools to watch. Another helper is pursuing his 2024 brother, Zina. He too will be a nice prospect in the next few seasons, and nothing would make Neto's decision easier, or parents happier, than the duo playing at the same college.

I like Alabama here right now, but also think he's more open than he leads on.

"Football wise, Texas looks fantastic here. All you need to know."

"Football wise, Texas looks fantastic here. All you need to know."

This has me gruntled

• Hook 'Em 1

If that’s the case can we just stop taking early commits only to have the media pop their cherry on the headline “nations top blah blah blah de commits from Texas 

It’s an interesting thought exercise, but in practical application you’re telling Evan Stewart thank you but no thank you. Which..., is that better? It’s really not. I get not pushing until later, but it is a net positive that the staff was able to take a big name off their timeline to commit and attempt to hang on. Also, a committed prospect is less likely to be the annual, early mysterious aggy commit that we led on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wonder who IT's source is on Banks?  Perroni claims to have a good read on his recruitment and also says he knows someone close to him and is standing firm on aggy's landing him.

IT probably has the Coach and parents, thats typically who their sources are I know a few players that have been through the recruiting process and IT tries to talk with parents... 247 probably just defers to the Kid, I know thats what Ej, Harris and Roach have done, not sure on BP tho

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

45 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

IT probably has the Coach and parents, thats typically who their sources are I know a few players that have been through the recruiting process and IT tries to talk with parents... 247 probably just defers to the Kid, I know thats what Ej, Harris and Roach have done, not sure on BP tho

That would line up with Banks' dad's quotes the other day. Seemed very pro-Texas. Banks Jr. himself doesn't seem to give much indication either way publically.

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Others seem to be managing to keep up just fine. “Reading is hard” is probably going to continue to be a widely mocked stance on the recruiting board for the University of Texas. But by all means feel free to start another news only/link thread and go watch the tumbleweeds roll past you there. Otherwise the football board or texags awaits! 

also the positive reps your posts got for the scathing hot “everyone stop and spoon feed me info because I hate words” take is a pretty telling illustration. You’re in great company. 

Look everyone, it’s the Taylor Hamm of the 995 board. Are you 5’5” too? Maybe we can change your username to BurntOrange&Slight. 

Herman being a moron inspired my first name but reading is hard is way fuckin better long term haha. How many reach arounds does it take to have your name changed around here? I’m asking for a friend 

(Mike Roach) Mike at Night: Scattershooting on Texas recruiting to start the week

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Scattershooting on Texas recruiting to start the week

Mike Roach

— After speaking with some sources yesterday concerning Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller, I feel Texas is trending down in that race. The Longhorns already have their top guy in Jaydon Blue, but Texas continues to look for second options at the running back position. Miller seemed to be a bit of a lean when originally offered, but it sounds like both sides are drifting apart. Texas doesn't seem to be in any sort of rush to fill that spot but Miller was probably the guy I would have handicapped as the best odds to end up at Texas along with Tavorus Jones.

— Yesterday I talked about more kids realizing that visits could open sooner rather than later which is leading up to many of them looking around. Texas already saw that with Evan Stewart defecting. Today, it was reported that the NCAA is looking into lifting the dead period when it comes to an end on May 31. If this opens, it's going to lead to an absolute gong show this summer. Typically, a second dead period goes into effect in early July until the end of the month leaving June as one of the only months to really host a lot of visits. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA makes a change to the traditional calendar to make up for the more current dead period which will be in place over a year. Schools will jockey for visits like crazy and kids will be pulled in a ton of directions. We haven't even talked about the possibility of camps which most schools are planning as well. This summer is setting up to be one of the craziest time periods in recruiting that I've ever seen.

— If Texas is able to finally get some kids back on campus that will only benefit them. The staff is making a pretty strong impression without in-person visits in place. Summer visits could also work to accelerate more timelines. Most kids want to commit before their senior year to get things out of the way so I'd expect we'd see a ton of kids rushing to get their visits in. 2021 was just the start, but 2022 will have some unprecedented moments due to the ramifications of COVID-19.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It appears we are heading more and more to the NFL model with college football.

Sorry, I must be too poor to understand what the fuck you're talking about. What is "the NFL model" as it relates to scouting prospects and how does this one-off covid accommodation move CFB closer to that model?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sorry, I must be too poor to understand what the fuck you're talking about. What is "the NFL model" as it relates to scouting prospects and how does this one-off covid accommodation move CFB closer to that model?

It's essentially like pro-days for the NFL on college campuses, mix that with the transfer rules becoming weaker and weaker. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think we’re going to have to start calling you 5figs because you’re becoming more like Taylor Hamm everyday. 

Schools already hold in-person camps every year and they’ve been doing it forever. Remembers all those junior days Mack held very year? This is just allowing that to happen later than usual once campuses open up.  It’s not actually changing anything or making college more like the NFL at all. 

We shoulda let him continue to scroll past tweets

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I mean, considering he happily admits he doesn’t actually read the threads, the concept of Mack Brown Junior Days and the entire Stars At Night stuff under Strong and Herman evading him completely IS somewhat plausible.   “Roschon Johnson committed at a camp event? Never heard of him.” 

Maybe thujone can MS paint him  a couple of pics a month with the salient news so in the form of fingerpaint so he can keep up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So reposts were horsehit. 

gotta say, I was right there with Gerry this whole time, just completely skeptical. 

200m and 40 proficiencies aren't going to align perfectly, but it seemed unlikely the kid was going to run a 23.5 200 earlier in the week and then rip off the fastest 40 in the history of UA camps

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, considering he happily admits he doesn’t actually read the threads, the concept of Mack Brown Junior Days and the entire Stars At Night stuff under Strong and Herman evading him completely IS somewhat plausible.   “Roschon Johnson committed at a camp event? Never heard of him.” 

Maybe thujone can MS paint him  a couple of pics a month with the salient news so in the form of fingerpaint so he can keep up. 

Who are you talking about?

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Per Gerry, Winfield ran a 4.59 laser 40 on Sunday. Evan Stewart was sub-4.5.

4.59 seems at least adequate for cfb given Winfield doesn’t rely on his speed. Not sure how well he separates—Is this the reason for Gerry’s skepticism?

CeeDee Lamb ran a 4.50 at 6’2”, 198 lbs. at the combine. I wouldn’t think Winfield running a 4.59 before his senior year of hs would be a red flag, especially for a guy with his size and skills.

9 minutes ago, Dangle said:

Is this the reason for Gerry’s skepticism?

I thought he was just skeptical of the fastest time in history bit, not of the prospect as a whole.

Myself, I reach Cartesian levels of skepticism when it comes to Texas football.  This is of course Herman’s fault.

Edited by Darth Tron

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting