Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Wells on Sallis

Spoiler

Of Note: 2022 Carrolton Creekview three-star tight end Sean Sallis took a student trip to Austin yesterday.

"It was really good," said Sallis. "We drove around the construction at the stadium. It already looks incredible. We checked out the Tower and walked around campus."

He couldn't see any coaches in person, but tight ends/special teams coach Jeff Banks continues to reach out and learn more about the flex-like TE.

"I have always loved watching Texas play and heard great things about coach Sark and coach Banks," Sallis said. "No offer yet, but I'm still working."

At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, the all-district junior is still quiet on the recruiting scene. After posting a 52.32 400m as a freshman, he's steadily worked at his craft on the gridiron.

And Texas, who would like to take a full 25-person class, is still evaluating the position for the C/O 2022. - JW

Mike Roach:  Four-star OL Jacob Sexton closing in on visits, commitment decision

Spoiler

Four-star OL Jacob Sexton closing in on visits, commitment decision

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Jacob Sexton saw his timeline slowed because of COVID-19. Now he enters his senior season as one of the best offensive line prospects in the country.

The four-star offensive tackle from Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek competed during the Under Armour camp in Dallas last weekend. Sexton had fun being able to compete against the best during the regional camp.

“It was great,” he said. “it’s been a while since we’ve been able to do competition because of COVID so it’s nice that we got to come out here and compete. It was a nice morning, wasn’t too hot and definitely nothing to complain about.”

Sexton recently cut his list to five finalists including Texas with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama and Texas A&M. Sexton said all of those schools are recruiting him hard and he wants to make a decision soon.

“My top five,” he said. “All of those schools are pushing real hard. I’m talking to multiple coaches weekly and sometimes multiple times per week. That’s been really good. I’m excited and in the next six months I’d like to commit.”

COVID-19 didn’t allow for any visits last year, but there’s a possibility that visits resume this summer. Sexton said he wants to make sure he can see every program before making his choice.

“I’d like to go see all of these places in person,” he said. “I got to see OU and OSU a whole bunch, but I haven’t really got to see the facilities everywhere else, so I’d really like to those before I make my decision.”

Texas has been making a strong impression on Sexton since Steve Sarkisian arrived. Sexton keeps in constant contact with Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and both sides are working on building a strong relationship.

“I’m talking to coach Flood and coach Sark weekly,” Sexton said. “We’re setting up zooms and facetimes and everything. It’s been great. I’m really excited for that relationship to continue and then go from there.”

Sexton was originally born in Texas and grew up a fan of the Longhorns. That and his relationship with the staff has the Longhorns in the hunt for his commitment.

“Growing up I was a fan of them,” he said. “Other than that, though, they have really great facilities from what I’ve seen virtually and they just have some really great people. Even before coach Flood came over it was coach Hand. Really, all of their staff I’ve been able to get to know well coming from Bama and everywhere, so it’s definitely still a great place to go.”

At 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, Sexton is ranked as the No. 27 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Oklahoma, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Just wait until this coiffure makes an appearance at the Surly Olympics on September 4th, 2021. I'm not sure which will draw more awe or ire from you fuckers, my sub 4.6 forty, or my hairdo.

I have never seen you in person, but if you aggregate all of the hints that you have dropped in this thread I can only conclude that you look like a comically fast miniature sumo wrestler. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach:  Four-star OL Jacob Sexton closing in on visits, commitment decision

Reveal hidden contents

Four-star OL Jacob Sexton closing in on visits, commitment decision

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Jacob Sexton saw his timeline slowed because of COVID-19. Now he enters his senior season as one of the best offensive line prospects in the country.

The four-star offensive tackle from Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek competed during the Under Armour camp in Dallas last weekend. Sexton had fun being able to compete against the best during the regional camp.

“It was great,” he said. “it’s been a while since we’ve been able to do competition because of COVID so it’s nice that we got to come out here and compete. It was a nice morning, wasn’t too hot and definitely nothing to complain about.”

Sexton recently cut his list to five finalists including Texas with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama and Texas A&M. Sexton said all of those schools are recruiting him hard and he wants to make a decision soon.

“My top five,” he said. “All of those schools are pushing real hard. I’m talking to multiple coaches weekly and sometimes multiple times per week. That’s been really good. I’m excited and in the next six months I’d like to commit.”

COVID-19 didn’t allow for any visits last year, but there’s a possibility that visits resume this summer. Sexton said he wants to make sure he can see every program before making his choice.

“I’d like to go see all of these places in person,” he said. “I got to see OU and OSU a whole bunch, but I haven’t really got to see the facilities everywhere else, so I’d really like to those before I make my decision.”

Texas has been making a strong impression on Sexton since Steve Sarkisian arrived. Sexton keeps in constant contact with Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and both sides are working on building a strong relationship.

“I’m talking to coach Flood and coach Sark weekly,” Sexton said. “We’re setting up zooms and facetimes and everything. It’s been great. I’m really excited for that relationship to continue and then go from there.”

Sexton was originally born in Texas and grew up a fan of the Longhorns. That and his relationship with the staff has the Longhorns in the hunt for his commitment.

“Growing up I was a fan of them,” he said. “Other than that, though, they have really great facilities from what I’ve seen virtually and they just have some really great people. Even before coach Flood came over it was coach Hand. Really, all of their staff I’ve been able to get to know well coming from Bama and everywhere, so it’s definitely still a great place to go.”

At 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, Sexton is ranked as the No. 27 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 3 overall prospect in Oklahoma, according to 247Sports Composite.

This kid was Fong'd to OU a long time ago along with a bunch of other OU picks. 

Gerry shared some testing numbers from the UA camp this past weekend:

Ross was very impressive at Under Armour Camp Sunday, which included showing up 6-foot-3 (w/o shoes) and 279 pounds with an 80-inch wingspan and 4.45 laser shuttle.'

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
6-4 1/4 (w/o shoes), 313-pounds with 83-inch wingspan

OG Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
6-3, 317, 81-inch wingspan

WR Nicholas Anderson, Katy High
6-3 3/4, 192, 4.61 laser forty, 4.28 laser shuttle

CB/N Terrance Brooks, John Paul II
5-11, 188, 79-inch wingspan, 122 broad jump

OLB Ish Harris with a 4.36 laser shuttle at 193-pounds. He was a shade over 6-3.

DE Ernest Cooper, Arlington Martin
6-4 1/4, 235, 4.49 laser shuttle, 81-inch wingpsan

DE Michael Ibukun-Okeyode, Rowlett
6-4 1/2, 235, 4.42 laser shuttle, 80 wingspan

OT Alvin Ebosele, Coppell
6-6 1/4, 294, 84-inch wingspan

OT Neto Umeozulu, Allen

6-4 1/4, 297, 83-inch wingspan

The surprise was probably Dallas Jesuit 2022 S Robert Fitzgerald. 5-11, 193, 4.55 laser forty, 4.1 laser shuttle and 6.42 laser L-cone. Baylor has since offered.

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have never seen you in person, but if you aggregate all of the hints that you have dropped in this thread I can only conclude that you look like a comically fast miniature sumo wrestler. 

Ha. I've been posting for 23 years on the UT boards and have met a bunch of folks over that time. At various points half-truths and absurdities have made it into dialogue and I've not done much to combat it because it's mostly funny. I can't remember which dude it is that thinks I'm some sort of little person. @SydneyCarton looks a fucking lot like a guy on a series of Whataburger commercials trending towards Jake Busey and @HenryJames is the spitting image of Henry Rollins circa his supporting role in Heat. 

In any event, I too would like to see a comically fast miniature sumo wrestler. Other people I envision: @Burt Macklin probably looks a lot like John Ratzenberger circa 1986. @texifornia undoubtedly wears a lot of tweed and has sort of a Jonah from Veep thing going on as he ambles around whatever metro he's in looking like a baby giraffe. fatkid54 is the adult version of Chunk, from The Goonies. There are a bunch of foodtards on the food board that are all probably pipe-smoking clowns wearing turtlenecks and eyeing the front desk clerk's rack at the local Half-priced books through their bifocals. sarvanaash looks like a despondent Indian version of Rick Moranis. And so forth. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Gerry shared some testing numbers from the UA camp this past weekend:

I think Gerry masturbates daily to the thought of 80+inch wing spans. He's down on a stud guy that we have a good shot of landing pretty much because he's only got a 75-inch wing span (he's not a lineman). 

Wing spans, hand size and the fact that there are no legitimate offensive tackle candidates to ever be found in the wild because they all project to guard at the next level - these are 3 areas of entertainment for me with Gerry's evaluations. I think he's the best at it among everyone who covers recruiting, so I'm not knocking him. I just enjoy it when those things come up.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
6-4 1/4 (w/o shoes), 313-pounds with 83-inch wingspan

OT Neto Umeozulu, Allen

6-4 1/4, 297, 83-inch wingspan

Which 9.95ers were trying to say Banks should be a guard again? Banks and Neto can definitely make it at OT in college. 

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. I've been posting for 23 years on the UT boards and have met a bunch of folks over that time. At various points half-truths and absurdities have made it into dialogue and I've not done much to combat it because it's mostly funny. I can't remember which dude it is that thinks I'm some sort of little person. @SydneyCarton looks a fucking lot like a guy on a series of Whataburger commercials trending towards Jake Busey and @HenryJames is the spitting image of Henry Rollins circa his supporting role in Heat. 

In any event, I too would like to see a comically fast miniature sumo wrestler. Other people I envision: @Burt Macklin probably looks a lot like John Ratzenberger circa 1986. @texifornia undoubtedly wears a lot of tweed and has sort of a Jonah from Veep thing going on as he ambles around whatever metro he's in looking like a baby giraffe. fatkid54 is the adult version of Chunk, from The Goonies. There are a bunch of foodtards on the food board that are all probably pipe-smoking clowns wearing turtlenecks and eyeing the front desk clerk's rack at the local Half-priced books through their bifocals. sarvanaash looks like a despondent Indian version of Rick Moranis. And so forth. 

200w.gif

Some recruiting notes from Wells and Gerry

Spoiler

Wells chats with Scarlett:
DL Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy (Flower Mound) (2022):

Texas is on the board for the rising defensive tackle prospect from the metroplex. At 6-foot-3, 265, Scarlett holds 22 offers including Penn Stare, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, TCU, and Kansas State.

UT’s message to the three-star .88 composite lineman was simple and clear.

“That they like my film and are excited about me,” said Scarlett. “I’m enjoying talking to every coach and seeing just a bit of how things go in every college. It’s an interesting experience and I’m blessed to be where I am.”

Scarlett says that Texas A&M, Missouri, and Minnesota reach out the most. And schools see him at different spots along the defensive line.

“Mostly 3-tech, but they also say I can play a bit of end or 4i,” Scarlett said. “ I can play nose if they want me to.”

Scarlett’s versatility is alluring and his recruitment is really just getting started.

Miller and Ross zooming:
If anyone was wondering about Texas’ continued pursuit of Tyler Legacy 2022 running back Jamarion Miller, the Longhorns haven’t backed off in the least. While the staff has been in contact with the 5-foot-9.5, 195-pounder who posted a 4.56 laser forty at Under Armour Camp Sunday, Steve Sarkisian is also reaching out to Tyler Legacy head coach Joe Willis. The duo had a zoom call Monday, meaning the Tyler Legacy staff knows exactly where Texas stands in the pursuit of the East Texas running back. Oklahoma State and Alabama remain Texas’ main competition.

As Inside Texas first mentioned, North Shore 2022 DT Kristopher Ross is scheduled to make a student visit to USC this weekend. The Trojans and Oklahoma Sooners are pushing hard in the final days prior to Ross’ March 23rd commitment date. Texas has been the favorite for weeks, and Ross had a zoom call with Texas HC Steve Sarkisian and Bo Davis earlier this week. Ross and his mother quietly made a student visit to Texas last month. Ross was very impressive at Under Armour Camp Sunday, which included showing up 6-foot-3 (w/o shoes) and 279 pounds with an 80-inch wingspan and 4.45 laser shuttle.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Which 9.95ers were trying to say Banks should be a guard again? Banks and Neto can definitely make it at OT in college. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Whoever at 247 is responsible for the ratings

Pretty sure Gabe Brooks started that horseshit at 247. Tremendously stupid take. His entire take on him reads like he didn't actually watch Banks, it reads like it should've been Kenyon Green's eval honestly. 

Big-bodied, big-framed lineman with potential for position versatility at tackle or guard. Good height and length and wears mass fairly well. Owns a wingspan in the 6-10 range. Shows enough functional athleticism to pull across the formation and lead the way to the perimeter. Flashes some punch when arriving at the second level. Size and strength manifest in drive-blocking ability. Hand placement is generally good. Feet stay active on contact. Heavy-handed and redirects targets even when not fully able to square up to engage. Down-blocks with conviction. Plays with a wide base and uses length well in pass pro. Casts a large shadow on the edge and creates major obstacle to the QB even if not in ideal position. Not a dancer on the outside but shows deceptively good footwork as a pass-blocker. Center of gravity is naturally high and combines with inconsistency as a bender to compromise pad level/leverage at times. Foot quickness improves from sophomore to junior season, but can play more sudden in general and verified testing supports that. Gets out over his feet on occasion and can improve balance and body control. A high-floor offensive lineman who also still has significant developmental potential to provide a high ceiling in the long term. Should become a multi-year high-major starter. Possesses long-term potential to reach the early rounds of the NFL Draft. 

I like how Biggins evals says that he plays with a wide base in pass pro while also being out over his skis and with inconsistency as a bender. Honestly, I think Biggins watched the OL clips from Houston OL/DL camp (ignored his HUDL) and decided Banks gets out over his skis because the one rep he had against Tunimese where he got out of balance because he was clearly surprised at how easily he tossed him to the ground. It's not something you see a lot in his HUDL (a la Kenyon Green). I think Banks has really good balance and looks like a natural bender. 

Reminder vs. Tunimese ::

Reminder vs. Jordon Thomas :: 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I think Banks has really good balance and looks like a natural bender. 

This is what I noticed too. He has extremely good balance and agility, so the only way he couldn’t play OT is if he was about 6’3 or under with short arms, but 6’4 with a good wingspan will be no problem for him at Tackle in college. 

Mike Roach

Mike at Night: Visitor still slated for this weekend

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Visitor still slated for this weekend

Mike Roach

— I spoke with Carthage linebacker Kip Lewis yesterday. As we reported on Sunday, Lewis was taking a self-guided visit to Austin this weekend. I circled back with him just to verify he was still planning on making the trip, and the three-star prospect said that he is still scheduled to be there. I mentioned in the past that Oklahoma seems to have the early edge with Lewis as Sooners' linebacker coach Brian Odom has been able to forge a strong relationship with him. If Texas is to make a push, this weekend could be a good first step. Some kids love the bright lights and limitless activities of Austin, while others prefer a small college town. While this axiom goes for just about every recruit, it goes double for small town and east Texas kids. Sometimes, it doesn't matter if the football team, academics and coaches are the best. The fit has to be right all the way around.

— It seems schools are scheduling official visits in anticipation of the dead period being lifted on June 1. As schools try to ramp back up from an unprecedented time in recruiting, some are being aggressive about getting in line and reserving their spot with some of the best in the country. Texas hasn't publicized anything as of yet, and most of the kids I spoke with haven't had any discussions about it. Maalik Murphy told me he's ready to get back to Austin as soon as possible while Evan Stewart is looking to get his trips lined up and wants to get Texas on the schedule.

— On a personal note, I was deeply saddened to hear that Tope Imade lost his mother this week. Those who have heard me talk about Imade before know my fondness for the big man. When I first started doing this job, Imade was the first recruit I truly became close with. I was a no-name reporter and he was a no-named player at the time. We lived about 10 minutes away from each other and I frequented his school often. I met Tope's parents briefly at his signing ceremony and know how close they are. Tope's siblings have all been able to utilize their athletic gifts to make the most of their education and Imade himself is looking at pursuing a second master's degree while at Texas. I can't imagine what he and the family are going through right now. If you missed it, there is a relief fund in place.

• Hook 'Em 2

Seeing Roach's note about OVs was funny after reading this from TFB...

(Super K) CJ Williams Official Visit in the Works

Spoiler

Just chatted a bit with the father of 2022 4-star WR, CJ Williams (Mater Dei).

He tells me that they are working with Texas on setting up their official visit to Austin. They’re working on setting it up for June.

Last I spoke with CJ he told me he decided to move his timeline up. He will be looking to make an announcement shortly after his official visits.

• Hook 'Em 5

Super K on Tuihalamaka 

Spoiler

A quick note here on 2022 4-star Cali linebacker, Niuafe Junior Tuihalamaka (Bishop Alemany).

He tells me that he is working on setting up an official visit with Texas for the month of June. That of course is assuming the NCAA doesn’t extend the dead period again.

Texas is very much in striking distance on this one and I don’t think Junior will wait too long after his OVs to make a decision. Little doubt Notre Dame will also be one of his June officials. Last I spoke with Junior, I got the sense they were the team to beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting