Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Generally speaking (when they aren't blitzing or delayed blitz/spying), he has his ILBs get a lot of depth to help the safeties in the mid and deep areas, which in turn sometimes gives easy completions to RBs and other short yardage passes, although his safeties and LBs have been good aggressive tacklers. So more range for drops and for coming down hill to tackle faster is important. I've always thought though that Poly's frequently play faster than they test. Also good ILBs can make up for less speed with better play reading, better reaction times, etc. What you really don't want though is someone who's stiff and can't change directions, like Adeoye

Thanks, Fud. I haven’t watched Washington since they were blown out of the playoff. That’s interesting re: safeties as well. That’s a nice sell to Matthews, even if he does end up outside.
I really do think lateral agility is a problem. He’s a great block shedder and takes good angles, but you can’t use your hands if you can’t catch up and the first step is not great. Idk even what he could grow into. Maybe he’s Dumervil, maybe he’s Galippo.
  • Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

By: Joe and Justin

Latest from a top CB target, UT evaluating more 2022 running backs and linebackers, and a Texas pledge close to an official visit date. Enjoy the evening news.

CB Terrence Brooks, John Paul II (2022):

One of the top UT targets in the state of Texas for 2022 can play multiple positions, and that’s exactly Texas is telling him he can do.

Plano John Paul II DB Terrance Brooks has 35-plus schools after his signature, including Alabama, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Washington, and Yale. That list of suitors will be trimmed soon.

“I’m looking forward to releasing a top 12 or top 5 very soon,” Brooks said.

What about the Longhorns?

“They’re really high in my list,” Brooks said. “I really like Texas.”

Brooks mentioned he hears from Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian often. To hear from an offensive head coach as often as he does leaves a good impression on the DFW defensive back, saying Sarkisian talks with him like a family member.

“His message to me is just to dominate” Brooks said. “I don’t have any promises to start, but just go out there and dominate for them.”

Brooks said he was told he is able to play any position in Joseph’s defensive backfield, but he would prefer to play corner. His main preference though, as he said, is just to dominate.

After trimming his list, Brooks intends to take official visits (if permitted) this summer. He wants to get a sense of what schools will do for him academically.

He also has no preference between in state or out of state schools. He plans to commit some time in the mid to late summer. - JC

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (2022):

After starting on varsity as a freshman, the barely 6-foot-0, 210-pound tailback has amassed over 4,000 yards rushing and 62 touchdowns entering his senior year.

That’s good enough for 15 offers, including Michigan, USC, and Baylor, who are the three schools that Gatson talks with the most.

Texas reached out to the Newton staff last month, and coach Sarkisian and coach Davis called last week inquiring about the 3-star tailbacks attributes.

Gatson, who recently had shoulder surgery, is set to run the 100, 4x1, and 4x2 at the district meet next week. His coaches say he’s in the “11.0-11.1” range and could get in the 10s by regionals.

Right now, Gatson is looking to narrow his schools around June, and make a decision before the end of summer.

With Texas focusing on Jamarion Miller and Tre’Vonte Citizen, Gatson looks to be a contingency plan. Good thinking. - JW

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (2022):

One of the most underrated prospects in the state, the three-star multi-sport stud is really enjoying the process.

At 6-foot-2, 208, the outside linebacker from East Texas is running sprints during track practice. He’s the leader of the football, basketball, and track & field teams at Teneha.

Michigan, USC, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Oklahoma State stay in touch with Patton, including recent Zoom meetings with the Wolverines and Trojans staffs.

Now, Texas is involved. The UT staff reached out to Patton last week, and coach Kwiatkowski wants to learn more about Patton.

He’s in no hurry to make a decision, and with the Longhorns interest, he’s eager to see where his recruitment goes from here.

He’d like to visit USC and Baylor in June, if possible. But for now, it’s back to practice. - JW

Of note: Port Arthur Memorial CB, Texas pledge Jaylon Guilbeau is looking at a June official visit. It’s yet to be scheduled, but the anticipation is that the dead period would be lifted June 1st, and he’d have the opportunity within that month and a half window.

We’re checking on other top prospects' schedules for June, to see if any others have dates planned. We’ll keep you posted. - JW

• Hook 'Em 2

“His message to me is just to dominate” Brooks said. “I don’t have any promises to start, but just go out there and dominate for them.”

Brooks said he was told he is able to play any position in Joseph’s defensive backfield, but he would prefer to play corner. His main preference though, as he said, is just to dominate.

Great. Now I have the urge to call my dominatrix 

Mike at Night

Spoiler

— Flower Mound (Texas) Coram Deo defensive tackle Jadon Scarlett was recently offered by the Longhorns. He showed off a dynamic first step and great penetrating skill at the Under Armour camp in Dallas two weeks ago. Scarlett said he was really excited to get the Texas offer. Bo Davis was who reached out to offer and he said they had a good conversation. Scarlett plans to take a self-guided tour to Texas A&M and then take some trips when the dead period opens up. Scarlett doesn’t seem to be in any sort of hurry and wants to make a decision after his senior season. Missouri and Michigan are other schools in the picture for him at the moment.

— North Shore defensive tackle Kristopher Ross still intends to go through with his decision tomorrow. Like I mentioned in The Stampede this morning, we don’t feel as strong as we once did about Texas winning here, but to this point I still haven’t heard anything that would make me want to move my pick away. To this point, no news is good news for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

Evan Stewart going to A&M would be the worst decision a high profile WR has made since Demas believed he would get a chance to make plays there.

Going to an offense that prioritizes TE/RB over WR in the passing game in 2021 is pretty funny. Plus Demas under performed more than any 5* WR going back like 10+ years based on actual production (forget who did the research on this let me know so i can give you the credit)

Edited by NoName

54 minutes ago, NoName said:

Evan Stewart going to A&M would be the worst decision a high profile WR has made since Demas believed he would get a chance to make plays there.

Going to an offense that prioritizes TE/RB over WR in the passing game in 2021 is pretty funny. Plus Demas under performed more than any 5* WR going back like 10+ years based on actual production (forget who did the research on this let me know so i can give you the credit)

I mean, It's impossible to be less productive than zero catches for the season. Not sure how much research needs to be done. He's the least productive 5*, well, ever...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, It's impossible to be less productive than zero catches for the season. Not sure how much research needs to be done. He's the least productive 5*, well, ever...

again i don't remember who looked into it, but it was the least productive freshman season by a 5* WR in like 10 years.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Aggy probably trying to drop bags/get him on campus so they can neg Texas and push him towards someone on their schedule. They're idiots.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

again i don't remember who looked into it, but it was the least productive freshman season by a 5* WR in like 10 years.

His point is that you can't get less productive, so it's tied for the least productive freshman season by any WR ever in terms of receptions

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

His point is that you can't get less productive, so it's tied for the least productive freshman season by any WR ever in terms of receptions

sure, but me saying he is the least productive 5* in the last 10+ years and saying he had the last productive freshman year for a 5* WR in 10 years are 2 different things.

they are both true, but i was trying to say the 2nd one specifically

Edited by NoName

I was looking At Kris Kross' film and not a whole lot jumped out. He will be alright. He isn't that big and doesn't have an elite first step but he is pretty big, has decent quickness, and is pretty aggressive. He seems like a high floor kind of guy for us. I think the idea with him is to put additional functional weight on him and have him plug the interior with bull rushing and enough quickness to get off blocks. I think we will warm up to him and he will be a productive player for us but I don't see stardom.

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

sure, but me saying he is the least productive 5* in the last 10+ years and saying he had the last productive freshman year for a 5* WR in 10 years are 2 different things.

they are both true, but i was trying to say the 2nd one specifically

what? They're just saying that of course he is the least productive ____________________ because he had 0 production. You cannot be less productive that 0's across the board. You can qualify it however you want

Just now, TommyGufano said:

what? They're just saying that of course he is the least productive ____________________ because he had 0 production. You cannot be less productive that 0's across the board. You can qualify it however you want

there is a difference there especially with regard to what i was saying about Evan Stewart and the relevance of his freshman year vs career as a whole

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Evan Stewart will go to the best offer around signing day. Any football-related logic is trash with that recruitment at this point. Maybe it’s Texas, but assume the usuals, who will all get visits. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

there is a difference there especially with regard to what i was saying about Evan Stewart and the relevance of his freshman year vs career as a whole

OK. But this remains the part of your post that ppl are responding to:

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Plus Demas under performed more than any 5* WR going back like 10+ years based on actual production (forget who did the research on this let me know so i can give you the credit)

You can give me all the credit for some kick ass research. My data science hobby has finally paid off -- there has never been a freshman WR (5* or otherwise) who was less productive than Demas. Before there were even * rankings there's never been a freshman WR who managed fewer than 0 catches.

Please credit me in the future when you cite this information.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

OK. But this remains the part of your post that ppl are responding to:You can give me all the credit for some kick ass research. My data science hobby has finally paid off -- there has never been a freshman WR (5* or otherwise) who was less productive than Demas.

Y'all are getting hung-up on the word "less" in a scenario in which it is, LITERALLY, impossible to be less productive. A better way of saying this is that Demas is the only 5* receiver not to have a catch as a freshman. 

Before there were even * rankings there's never been a freshman WR who managed fewer than 0 catches.

Wat? Every freshman ever has caught a pass? Even before we started ranking recruits?

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Y'all are getting hung-up on the word "less" in a scenario in which it is, LITERALLY, impossible to be less productive. A better way of saying this is that Demas is the only 5* receiver not to have a catch as a freshman. 

Wat? Every freshman ever has caught a pass? Even before we started ranking recruits?

Read it again. 0 is not less than 0.

56 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was looking At Kris Kross' film and not a whole lot jumped out.

Just catching up to this thread on the final page. So is this the Surly name for him? If so, that's wiggida wiggida wiggida wack. Sincerely, Mac Daddy (or is it Daddy Mack, I can never remember).

Seriously, though, is Fong typically accurate with his CBs?

5 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Just catching up to this thread on the final page. So is this the Surly name for him? If so, that's wiggida wiggida wiggida wack. Sincerely, Mac Daddy (or is it Daddy Mack, I can never remember).

Seriously, though, is Fong typically accurate with his CBs?

He only makes high-confidence ones if he hears something concrete. It can be wrong (see Phaizon Wilson telling everyone he was going to recommit and then getting denied), but it means there's something there.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting