10 hours ago, Machinator said:

OK, list is updating so quickly I'm going to repost:

Reveal hidden contents

June 4-6 has official visitors scheduled:

WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High

June 11-13

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty

Inside Texas has learned Texas has scheduled a big time official visit weekend June 18-20.

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra
RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Davis
RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burgess
WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville
OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore
DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (CA)
LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin
DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo
S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA)
CB Denver Harris, North Shore
CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II

June 24-26 is also a date Texas is scheduling official visits.
LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point
CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial

Smart to schedule Stewart by himself. Don't want all the other recruits to see him carrying around all those bags.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Same on Ewers - I didn’t ask. They all think he’s going to make a real decision that is final before the summer ends, but that had previously been “before the spring ends”.  

If Texas and OSU are the only two schools in play,  I don't see why he wouldn't let the season play out and see what we are going to do under Sark before making a final decision.  

(Eric Nahlin) Visit Strategy

Spoiler

Last night’s rampage of official visits being scheduled needed to happen whether the NCAA officially lifts the year-long prohibition of campus visits or not.

It was a little disconcerting seeing other schools schedule visits while Texas sat idle, seemingly waiting for clarification from the slow moving and slow thinking governing body.

Many 2022 prospects, even very good ones, have yet to make a campus visit as a recruit, and after seeing what happened with the previous class, are anxious to make their way to experience what being a top recruit is all about. That, and they genuinely want to meet coaches at the schools they’re choosing from.

Sitting back and waiting — letting other schools dictate — is something we saw too frequently under Tom Herman. You have to be proactive, lest other schools set the narrative about you and all of a sudden you’re fighting uphill battles despite consistently good verbal/video contact.

Some have voiced concerns about officials happening too early, but that’s not the case. Kids have different timelines for making decisions. A quick perusal of the list shows players who are on summer timelines; many were originally on spring timelines. This is late as far as their personal timelines go.

There are two special cases that could appear to be too early:

WR Evan Stewart: Stewart has been vocal about having not taken any school visits yet and being anxious to do so. The staff is in a bit of a tough spot here because Stewart is someone you have to recruit until he signs, and that’s not until December. On the other hand, Texas probably still feels like it’s playing with the cards in its favor. Having him in for a sparsely attended weekend will allow the staff to go all in on him. It’s risky, and they better get an excellent read on him to inform the rest of their wide receiver decision making, but it’s probably the right call.

CB Denver Harris: Harris is set to attend the ”commits and leans” weekend of June 18-20 (that doesn’t mean everyone is a commit or lean). We’ve mentioned having Texas advocates in his ear will be a good thing, and that weekend will have plenty of them. This is the weekend Harris prefers to visit. He’s visiting A&M the weekend of June 4th and Alabama the week after Texas, on the 25th. He has no official visit scheduled to LSU as of yet.

Alabama having the visit after Texas won’t be the most comforting thing I’ve ever written.

Harris appears to be setting himself up to announce before his senior season but that’s not set in stone.

Speaking of the five-star North Shore corner, I forgot how much speed he showed on this play.

Visits are important to understanding where a staff sits with its primary targets. If they don’t get a positive read on Stewart, they’ll know they need to go after Kevin Coleman harder in hopes of splitting the pair with Alabama.

June will also be important for getting out-of-state visitors to Austin. Those prospects have even less familiarity with Texas than the instate players who have yet to visit. They like the coaches already but they need to like the campus, school, and city.

I like the idea of a singular big weekend of players who view UT highly. That will be an important weekend for consensus building and spring-boarding into the second half of the cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

Notes from Darius Terrell (TFB)

Spoiler

Checking in with 2022 Tenaha LB Jeremy Patton

Earlier this week, Texas made the move to officially extend an offer to Tenaha 3-Star ATH Jeremy Patton. It’s been a busy past few weeks for the talented young man as he’s seen offers roll in from Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Texas A&M. Not to mention, Patton has long been a priority for both Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma St. dating back to this past football season.

It’s safe to say that the secret is out on the small-town East Texas standout. Patton is a man amongst boys on tape and he stood out among a collection of the nation’s best at the Under Armour Camp in Dallas earlier this month.

I was able to catch up with the talented, 6’2 215lb playmaker to get his thoughts immediately after picking up the Texas offer.

“Coach Sark is the one that made the offer to me. It was big. I like Texas and my uncle is a big fan. He’s been preaching to me about Texas for a long time, pretty much every year. They are definitely a family favorite.”

Patton is listed as an Athlete on recruiting websites and plays both Running Back and Linebacker on the gridiron, in addition to playing Basketball and competing in Track & Field. He worked out exclusively at Linebacker during the UA event. 

As for his potential position at Texas:

“They want me to play Linebacker. Didn’t say specifically which Linebacker spot, but it doesn’t really matter.”

You love to hear it.

Patton is yet to set up any visits officially, but he told me that it is a “must” to get down to Austin sometime in the Spring or Summer. He’s also planning to check out the other schools previously mentioned as well.

My Take: I was excited to hear that Sark took it upon himself to present the offer to Patton. That tells me he is about to become a priority for this class. Patton is a very, very family-oriented young man and I get the sense from talking to him twice now that it’s going to be important to stay close enough to his mother and sisters to be able to return at a moment’s notice.

It’s too early to call anyone a favorite, but things are quietly shaping up for this kid to be one of the most heavily contested recruiting battles in the region. At this stage, Texas has as good of a shot as anyone. 

Checking in with 2022 Flower Mound DL Jadon Scarlett

Keeping the theme going with newly-revealed front seven targets, I was able to get in touch with Coram Deo HS (Flower Mound, TX) 3-Star Defensive Lineman Jadon Scarlett to get his thoughts on the picking up an offer from Texas.

“It was really cool. I had been talking to Texas (Bo Davis) for a couple of weeks, so it felt good for the offer to officially come through.”

Scarlett, who measured in officially at 6’2 260lbs at the Under Armour combine a few weeks ago, boasts double-digit offers from programs such as Texas A&M, Missouri, Nebraska, Ole Miss, and Minnesota among others. So, what is it that is going to separate programs from one another in his eyes?

“I want to play early. I also prefer a 4-down front. It’s going to really just come down to my comfort level and familiarity with the program and staff.”

Texas is recruiting Scarlett to play the 3-Tech and some Defensive End in Coach Kwiatkowski’s scheme.

In the words of his father, “Jadon is a Texas boy. He was born and raised here so he naturally has some love for the local schools.”

The plan is to start getting visits set up soon (targeting the summer, like most prospects) and Texas will “definitely” be receiving one when the time comes.

My Take: It’s still early to be trying to name a leader for Scarlett, especially without him having taken visits yet, but he strikes me as a kid that won’t necessarily be woo’d by the prestige of a program. His father is a former NFL player (he played for the Dolphins, Vikings, Patriots, and Chiefs before finishing up with the Cowboys and planting roots in Texas) and is very involved in his recruitment. They are going to be looking for the best fit both academically and to try to get Jadon to the NFL. I think this will be one to watch moving forward, as Scarlett has the versatility to fill multiple roles for Texas and he could become a major priority. If that happens, I do like the Longhorns’ chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can someone clue my dumbass in on why the officials are all happening in June?  

Official visits are suspended by the NCAA until May 31. That date has been pushed out multiple times already, but I think most people assume this one will stick due to the rate at which we’re all getting vaxxed.

17 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

Can these fuckers learn how to write

no they can't. There was a Jeff Howe article I literally had to stop reading because of the horrible grammar and spelling errors. Whatever information I'd gain from reading (probably not a lot) isn't worth the emotional effort my brain would have to expound to deal with the 5th grade writing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

no they can't. There was a Jeff Howe article I literally had to stop reading because of the horrible grammar and spelling errors. Whatever information I'd gain from reading (probably not a lot) isn't worth the emotional effort my brain would have to expound to deal with the 5th grade writing. 

I mean this article at least has good info, but Fuck why don't they have some unpaid 19 y/o reading over their articles before they post. Just lazy errors

11 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

I mean this article at least has good info, but Fuck why don't they have some unpaid 19 y/o reading over their articles before they post. Just lazy errors

Just so we're clear, you think the solution to good spelling and grammar is to sic a 19 year old on it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

My problem isn't grammatical errors, it's that they don't communicate effectively because they're attempting to "write good." Some of their sentences have more mixed metaphors than a blind squirrel.

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

My problem isn't grammatical errors, it's that they don't communicate effectively because they're attempting to "write good." Some of their sentences have more mixed metaphors than a blind squirrel.

That's more of an IT/Nahlin issue. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That is the weirdest graphic I have ever seen. It's jumping tenses all over the place, and what is that trophy exactly? And why is he being wished luck against Sam Houston?

Edit: Ah, not an OV graphic. Reused it from district play. Still weird. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't even think they'd look up from their phone. 

Truth hurts and is funny as shit. I'm assuming they are born with an old man sixth sense. Plus, the phone is pretty much an extra appendage.

STEVE WILTFONG:  Breaking down the top schools in pursuit of elite WR Evan Stewart

Spoiler

Breaking down the top schools in pursuit of elite WR Evan Stewart
STEVE WILTFONG

Evan Stewart was already one of the most intriguing prospects in the class of 20222 — in addition to perhaps an electric playmaker on the verge of 5-star status, he's also TikTok-famous. And that was even before he decommitted from Texas! Since opening things up, Stewart has captured the attention of recruitniks everywhere. 

The blue-chipper, who the Top247 ranks as the No. 5 receiver in the class and the No. 37 prospect overall, recently locked in official visits to Florida and Texas A&M. Other schools that prominently figure into the mix include Alabama, Georgia and LSU. 

Texas is still in this one as well. You know that Steve Sarkisian and company will do what they can to get the coveted Frisco (Texas) Liberty playmaker back in the fold. 

Let's do a deep dive on where each of those schools stand for the electrifying playmaker. 

ALABAMA
Stewart doesn’t have a better relationship with a college coach than the one he has with Alabama cornerbacks backs coach Jay Valai, a Texas native who coached with the Longhorns the season prior. Outside of the outstanding bond Stewart has with Valai, Alabama’s success in hoisting trophies and producing first-round draft picks at the position have Stewart sitting here with a keen eye towards Tuscaloosa at this point in his process. Nick Saban is looking for another No. 1 recruiting class and I’m not sure there is a receiver higher on the board than Stewart.

FLORIDA
Stewart says Dan Mullen text hims every day. The Gators will look to gain serious momentum in this recruitment following an official visit to Gainesville the weekend of June 4. That will be Stewart’s first official of the process with him looking to take all five before making a final decision. Stewart recently said he sees Florida as title contenders, that he likes the area and it’s an added bonus that his 7on7 quarterback Nick Evers is a Gators commit in this 2022 class.

GEORGIA
The Bulldogs led in this recruitment at one point with Stewart saying he thought about committing to Georgia prior to giving the Longhorns a verbal. Stewart comes to Atlanta for his TikTok work and has ties to the area as well. He has a strong connection with Cortez Hankton, the UGA receivers coach, and thinks Hankton can help develop him into the player he wants to be. Speed at the position is a priority for Kirby Smart and his staff and there isn’t a receiver they’re coming for harder than Stewart as they chase a third No. 1 class in Athens.

LSU
Stewart says he’s always liked LSU and he feels them coming hard for him at this point in the process. The Tigers have had as much recent success as any school in developing wide receivers and similar to Florida and Evers, Stewart’s 7on7 quarterback last year — LSU freshman Garrett Nussmeier — being in Baton Rouge is an added bonus.

TEXAS
Stewart has been adamant that despite reopening the recruiting process Texas was still in the thick of it. Actions back up those words as he has now locked in an official visit to Austin for the weekend of June 11. Texas is also the only campus Stewart says he’s really been on to date and that was for a track meet. Sarkisian’s track record on offense is intriguing to Stewart but he wants to see it translate to the Longhorns' on-field product before diving all the way back in.

TEXAS A&M
Stewart has an official visit locked in for College Station as well, set for June 24. Texas A&M is tracking for a special receiver class this cycle and Stewart is another target that Dameyune Craig has the Aggies in the thick of it for. Stewart says he has friends in the locker room there, he says the Aggies are contenders and he is drawn to the SEC, as evident by the top schools outside of one.

From Greg Biggins:

Hero Kanu, DT, Rancho Santa Margarita (Calif.) Santa Margarita Catholic -- "Hero Kanu has seen his stock soar in in the last two weeks. Kanu has 11 total scholarship offers and 10 have come in over the last two weeks after schools had a chance to see his first two games. Kanu is a former soccer player from Germany who outgrew the sport and is now one of the region’s top defensive tackle prospects. He’s all of 6-5, 290 pounds, naturally strong, and a plus athlete as well. He’s still learning how to play the game and has only played football for a year and a half, but his upside is very easy to see. Schools like Arizona State, Michigan, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU, Penn State, USC, and Washington are all over him and that list should continue to grow over the coming year."

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting