Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If we aren’t trap dooring players like Coburn we aren’t serious about winning.  

I would just think there's a better way to do it than a surprise public list. Like just tell him he gotta go when the season ends. Maybe this is normal, idk.

I seem to remember more angst over Shepherd on here than Johnson.

Ya know, I’m not sure if that staff was in any position to turn down many highly rated OL recruits at the time, and honestly this staff probably isn’t either, but either way let’s hope whatever staff Sark’s moving forward with does a better job, regardless. Amen.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is what trap doors look like. You're being willfully naive with this post. They're actively sending messages. You think Bo Davis is worried about Coburn's feelings after the soft ass shit that fat fuck has pulled? No. Adios motherfucker, don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15179152

• Haha 1

I realize I’m in the minority, but given the state of the OL room I wouldn’t be actively trying to get Tyler Johnson off the roster right now unless he’s actively having a negative influence on culture and chemistry.

If it’s more that he’s just going through the motions, I’d hope Sark and Kyle Flood have a one on one conversation with him about not only his commitment but the opportunity in front of him in the form of multiple starting OL spots open going into next year. I think you challenge him going into winter conditioning and spring ball to see if that motivates him to up his effort level. Either one or two guard spots are going to be open depending on how serious they are about moving Junior Angilau to center, and frankly TJ has a better profile for RT than pretty much anyone on the roster. If spring ball wraps up and he’s still not where he needs to be, then you move on, but to me Texas doesn’t have enough OL bodies that can be depended on for next season to not even try to make that work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I seem to remember more angst over Shepherd on here than Johnson.

Ya know, I’m not sure if that staff was in any position to turn down many highly rated OL recruits at the time, and honestly this staff probably isn’t either, but either way let’s hope whatever staff Sark’s moving forward with does a better job, regardless. Amen.

If this staff is confident in its abilities (flood plus whomever helps there) and they’d rather have the #300 guy with all kinds of want to but a little lacking in some measurables than the #30 guy that doesn’t care, they should take the guy they are comfortable with- if it is one or the other. 

especially if you coach them hard. 

None of us really know whether proper due diligence on Johnson was done or not... And yes he was "ranked highly" with many offers etc. etc.... What I recall though is he was quite an easy bag for where he was ranked.  Texas didn't really fight anyone for his commitment and seeing as how many of his higher end offers have serious bag game and we didnt/don't then we can fill in some blanks.  Herman probably did know about the lack of passion but probably took him anyway because 1) makes the class look good, and 2) thought he and Yancy could force *ahem* corch him up to be a good player.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If this staff is confident in its abilities (flood plus whomever helps there) and they’d rather have the #300 guy with all kinds of want to but a little lacking in some measurables than the #30 guy that doesn’t care, they should take the guy they are comfortable with- if it is one or the other. 

especially if you coach them hard. 

They should take whichever one is going to pan out imo

28 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I would just think there's a better way to do it than a surprise public list. Like just tell him he gotta go when the season ends. Maybe this is normal, idk.

Maybe watch a guy that Bo Davis worked for, that would do it this way in a second and not think twice...

Saban used a depth-chart question – specifically about junior tight end Jahleel Billingsley – to reinforce his ideology for Tide football.

“Well, that's up to him. That's not up to me,” Saban said of Billingsley's place in the pecking order. “He knows what he's supposed to do in practice. He knows what he's supposed to do.

“You know, this is not a democracy. Everybody doesn't get to do what they want to do. Everybody doesn't get to do what they feel like doing. You've got to buy in and do what you're supposed to do to be a part of the team and do the things you need to do in practice, every day. That's a sense of urgency, play fast, execute, do your job.”

Saban also hammered home the point that Alabama's practice are so heavily attended by professional scouts that Crimson Tide players can begin laying the foundation for a potential professional career long before gameday.

“It's a privilege for everybody to go out there and create value for yourself,” Saban said. “We have (NFL) scouts at practice every day. Everybody thinks it's just about playing in the game. It's not just about playing in the game. They watch practice film, they watch guys every day.

“You guys on ESPN, you evaluate what happens in the game but they evaluate what happens every day. So what are you doing every day to create any value for yourself? But you have to create value for yourself so that your teammates and everybody gets confidence in you so that you have their confidence when you go out there and play. That's up to every player on the team. I don't make that decision for everybody on the team. I try to get them to do it. I try to point out the importance of doing it, but it's up to them to do it. Maybe that's not my question to answer.”

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I realize I’m in the minority, but given the state of the OL room I wouldn’t be actively trying to get Tyler Johnson off the roster right now unless he’s actively having a negative influence on culture and chemistry.

Pretty sure Tyler is focused on a career in music production...  I also read that he has been away from the team for a few weeks.  

Edit:  From 247

Obviously, there would have to be a whole lot of players run off … er … who decide to move on from the program to make room for 33 new players.

And that process has begun, we’re told.

I mentioned being surprised not to see sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Johnson as part of the travel squad to Iowa State a couple weeks ago.

As I’ve stated previously, Tom Herman’s staff placed a high priority on getting Johnson developed as a starter for the 2021 season - even starting Johnson at right guard in last season’s Alamo Bowl victory over Colorado - a game in which Johnson graded out pretty well.

Johnson, however, hasn’t been practicing or traveling with the team for the past three weeks, a source told Horns247. Depending on who you talk to, Johnson is either suspended from the team or simply done with football at Texas (or both), although his name hasn’t surfaced yet in the transfer portal.

Johnson never exhibited the urgency and intensity offensive coordinator Kyle Flood was looking for, according to a source.

Another team source said Johnson, a four-star recruit in UT’s 2019 class, was content to be a part of the team and wear the UT gear around campus and down on Sixth Street, but “had other interests and just lacked the want-to to be great. Had the physical tools. Just didn’t want it badly enough.”

Johnson was the No. 58 prospect nationally; No. 9 in Texas and the No. 8 offensive tackle in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports composite ranking.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe watch a guy that Bo Davis worked for, that would do it this way in a second and not think twice...

Saban used a depth-chart question – specifically about junior tight end Jahleel Billingsley – to reinforce his ideology for Tide football.

“Well, that's up to him. That's not up to me,” Saban said of Billingsley's place in the pecking order. “He knows what he's supposed to do in practice. He knows what he's supposed to do.

“You know, this is not a democracy. Everybody doesn't get to do what they want to do. Everybody doesn't get to do what they feel like doing. You've got to buy in and do what you're supposed to do to be a part of the team and do the things you need to do in practice, every day. That's a sense of urgency, play fast, execute, do your job.”

Saban also hammered home the point that Alabama's practice are so heavily attended by professional scouts that Crimson Tide players can begin laying the foundation for a potential professional career long before gameday.

“It's a privilege for everybody to go out there and create value for yourself,” Saban said. “We have (NFL) scouts at practice every day. Everybody thinks it's just about playing in the game. It's not just about playing in the game. They watch practice film, they watch guys every day.

“You guys on ESPN, you evaluate what happens in the game but they evaluate what happens every day. So what are you doing every day to create any value for yourself? But you have to create value for yourself so that your teammates and everybody gets confidence in you so that you have their confidence when you go out there and play. That's up to every player on the team. I don't make that decision for everybody on the team. I try to get them to do it. I try to point out the importance of doing it, but it's up to them to do it. Maybe that's not my question to answer.”

Saban doesn't understand what a democracy is, but the point is well taken. Trust and value are earned every day, not just during the games.

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I wouldn’t be actively trying to get Tyler Johnson off the roster right now unless he’s actively having a negative influence on culture and chemistry.

You don’t think some lazy motherfucker who doesn’t care about football being on a football scholarship has a negative influence on culture?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Nick saban the god of college football said you can tell kids to do it and explain the importance of doing it but it’s up to them to actually do it. Can’t make kids work hard who don’t want to, can’t make them find value in going hard every rep unless they want to do it. Where are all the assholes who have been shitting on Sark and company for not being able to motivate all these Herman cancers? Trap door coburn, Thompson is a piece of shit, starting walk-ons at LB…maybe sark ain’t the guy but year one ain’t a train wreck because of anything he could fucking control. Fuck Tom Herman 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Nick saban the god of college football said you can tell kids to do it and explain the importance of doing it but it’s up to them to actually do it. Can’t make kids work hard who don’t want to, can’t make them find value in going hard every rep unless they want to do it. Where are all the assholes who have been shitting on Sark and company for not being able to motivate all these Herman cancers? Trap door coburn, Thompson is a piece of shit, starting walk-ons at LB…maybe sark ain’t the guy but year one ain’t a train wreck because of anything he could fucking control. Fuck Tom Herman 

But, start Collins! Who cares about his effort in practice this fall! Some people who claim to get it one here don’t fucking get it. Yeah, Collins was obviously more talented than whoever was on the field in his place, but if the culture is going to change, a line has to be drawn and that line has to be held. You don’t create a tough culture by giving talent a pass on expectations. What happens when you have a room full of talent?

• Like 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

He plays occasionally and sucks like the rest of them.

You talking about Collins or Broughton? Collins shows some flashes at times. I didn't really pay much attention late in the season because I kind of checked out but Broughtoun was awful early in the year. I mean really bad. Not even a player you could put on the field. 

• Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

You talking about Collins or Broughton? Collins shows some flashes at times. I didn't really pay much attention late in the season because I kind of checked out but Broughtoun was awful early in the year. I mean really bad. Not even a player you could put on the field. 

yeah VB has been really bad, he just plays patty cake with the OL.  I blame his 15 year old calves

• Like 1

Tapa fucked up. I clicked on hulk’s post but somehow yours got quoted. I’m talking about Broughton. But Collins sucks too. They all suck.

Just now, irishtexan said:

Tapa fucked up. I clicked on hulk’s post but somehow yours got quoted. I’m talking about Broughton. But Collins sucks too. They all suck.

I'll disagree there. I think Collins has talent but may have attitude problems. I'm not sure he sucks though. 

Broughton just looks like a total JAG. It's only year 2 but he's nowhere close to being a P5 player....I would guess he's one of the players pushed out of the program. 

Herb Hand got crucified but Giles left the DL in similar shape. 

Without Ossai, our DL would have been straight trash last season. You could already see the regression with Coburn and Sweat. Outside of Ojomo, sometimes Collins, and I guess the FR there is nothing. 

Edited by texasstrong12

But, start Collins! Who cares about his effort in practice this fall! Some people who claim to get it one here don’t fucking get it. Yeah, Collins was obviously more talented than whoever was on the field in his place, but if the culture is going to change, a line has to be drawn and that line has to be held. You don’t create a tough culture by giving talent a pass on expectations. What happens when you have a room full of talent?

What if Tyler Johnson really was a starting caliber dude, but didn’t show the proper attitude for the new culture?

Slightly off topic but thinking about busts like Vernon Broughton got me thinking…

Top 100 recruits Tom Herman signed (per 247)

BJ Foster, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles, Joshua Moore, Anthony Cook, DeMarvion Overshown , Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Tyler Johnson, De’Gabriel Floyd, Bijan Robinson, Hudson Card, Alfred Collins, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Ja’Tavion Sanders

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Slightly off topic but thinking about busts like Vernon Broughton got me thinking…

BJ Foster, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles, Joshua Moore, Anthony Cook, DeMarvion Overshown , Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Tyler Johnson, De’Gabriel Floyd, Bijan Robinson, Hudson Card, Alfred Collins, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Ja’Tavion Sandwrs

spacer.png

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

BJ Foster, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles, Joshua Moore, Anthony Cook, DeMarvion Overshown , Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Tyler Johnson, De’Gabriel Floyd, Bijan Robinson, Hudson Card, Alfred Collins, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Ja’Tavion Sandwrs

where's the beef?!

Angry Threes Company GIF

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting