Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who gives a fuck about his resume. He’s coached one of the worst defenses in our programs history. You can take his resume , shine it up real really nice, turn that son of a bitch sideways, and shove it up your candy ass. 

First sentence is just dumb as fuck and then you hit me with a wrestling quote…Christ what am I doing here lol. 

urban Meyer is getting his shit pushed in currently, his resume is why you would hire him right now without pausing dumbass. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Fuck
  • Haha 1

Eric Nahlin: Finding solutions for Sarkisian's glaring program issues

When a team enters the final week of the season at 4-7, it’s evidence that several areas need improvement. When a Texas Longhorns team enters the final week of the season 4-7 and on a six-game losing streak, glaring issues are present. Where? “It’s hard to say one,” Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian said Monday.

Sarkisian offered three areas that stood out to him as most glaring. “One, we’ve got to find a way, whether it’s through scheme or personnel, to generate a better pass rush,” Sarkisian said. “I just don’t think where we’re at, in this day and age of college football with people throwing the ball around, we’ve got to find a way to do that.”

The Longhorns rank No. 98 in the country and No. 7 in the Big 12 in sacks with 19 during the 11 game season. Kansas State, who heads to town this Friday, is third in the conference with 29, while Oklahoma State leads the conference and nation with 42 takedowns of the quarterback.

As Sarkisian mentioned, the solution to Texas’ pass rush woes needs to be two-pronged. The Longhorns defense under Pete Kwiatkowski has deployed multiple fronts this year, sometimes in a three-man front and other times in a four-man front. In any case, no look provided by the Longhorn defense has been able to make the quarterback uncomfortable.

Much of that falls on the defensive front Kwiatkowski focuses on. Sarkisian attempted to bolster that part of the roster ahead of the season. He brought in Ben Davis, Ovie Oghoufo, and Ray Thornton as transfers. Those three are responsible for 4.5 of the 19 Longhorn sacks. He also added several edge rushers via the high school ranks in order to remedy the lack of rushers due to Texas recruiting to a three-down system for several cycles.

Those attempted solutions have not worked out on the field this season. Texas ranks No. 115 in PFF College’s pass rush ratings. The coverage is ranked No. 56, not bad but not good considering Texas’ personnel. Something’s got to give. Does that mean Sarkisian replacing assistants and even going so far as to implement a fourth defensive system in four seasons?

That remains to be seen, but defensive linemen are on the way to address the second prong. Seven are committed to the Longhorns right now. Justice Finkley and J’Mond Tapp are most likely to contribute early on the edge, while Aaron Bryant and Kristopher Ross could make a difference early on the interior. Whether those players will be able to join current Horns like Alfred Collins, Moro Ojomo, and Byron Murphy on 2022 line and make an impact is something that won’t be determined for months. A scheme change? That’s something which will become apparent in the coming weeks.

“I think two, we’ve got to improve our depth on the offensive line,” Sarkisian said. “Only signing two offensive linemen in last year’s class, knowing what’s to come, that area is one of need.” Barring unforeseen entry into the transfer portal or the NFL Draft, tackle Christian Jones, tackle Andrej Karic, guard Junior Angilau, and center Jake Majors should return to Texas. Guard Hayden Conner, center Logan Parr, and swing guard/tackle Isaiah Hookfin also should come back.

Angilau and Majors are the surest bets to hold onto their spots heading into 2022. Outside that duo? Jones and Karic have switched off at tackle during the last part of the season and have not been as consistent as offensive line coach Kyle Flood would prefer. Conner has played some in a backup role after injuries to others ahead of him on the depth chart. Parr and Hookfin have combined to play in seven games over the past two years with all the action in mop-up duty.

All that is to say, the offensive line enters 2022 without many proven players. That lack of depth would explain why Texas remains viable candidates for high-end high school prospects like Oregon commits Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams, Kam Dewberry, and Devon Campbell. Of course, Texas will scour the portal for O-linemen who would jump at the chance to start or contribute for a Power 5 program, whether they were previously at a Power 5 program or are looking to step up from the Group of 5 or FCS levels.

Either way, Texas will look through every avenue available to add to Flood’s room after adding only Conner and Max Merrill in the 2020 cycle. “The third area is we’ve got to get healthy,” Sarkisian said. Luckily for him, time and medical science can help this area of the program. The other two glaring issues? He’ll have to be far more proactive in finding those solutions.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

First sentence is just dumb as fuck and then you hit me with a wrestling quote…Christ what am I doing here lol. 

urban Meyer is getting his shit pushed in currently, his resume is why you would hire him right now without pausing dumbass. 

What national titles has PK won with his defense? None, got it. 

Your name is winning is hard, seriously think about how fucking stupid that is. Winning isn't hard. Fucking coward.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What national titles has PK won with his defense? None, got it. 

Your name is winning is hard, seriously think about how fucking stupid that is. Winning isn't hard. Fucking coward.

His defense helped Washington to a college football playoff. He’s also had plenty of kids across multiple positions drafted in the first round over many years. My username is a joke from the Tom Herman era dipshit. All your blustering amounts to nothing. Your opinion is trash and so are your cut downs. You sound like a fucking 15 year old kid. Will muschamp never won a title with his defense at Texas either, wtf are you even talking about? In fact his defense cost us the game against tech to ensure we wouldn’t go to a second title during his time but you suck his dick constantly. 

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

His defense helped Washington to a college football playoff. He’s also had plenty of kids across multiple positions drafted in the first round over many years. My username is a joke from the Tom Herman era dipshit. All your blustering amounts to nothing. Your opinion is trash and so are your cut downs. You sound like a fucking 15 year old kid. Will muschamp never won a title with his defense at Texas either, wtf are you even talking about? In fact his defense cost us the game against tech to ensure we wouldn’t go to a second title during his time but you suck his dick constantly. 

He's a washed DC who doesn't know how to call a defense. Lake carried him. get over yourself.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

them two don't get along to well anymore is what they say....

Seems like that was an untrue rumor

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/another-adventure-outgoing-uw-defensive-coordinator-pete-kwiatkowski-says-time-was-right-for-him-to-accept-job-at-texas/

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

40 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

God no but that should be big for non rev sports. 6k wont move the needle for football

Not to be a douche quoting myself but on second thought yes it will. For guys like Ford, Crawford, Murphy etc who are currently making dick this will be big. Good job by the University, there are still two extremely large things coming down the pipeline however

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Not to be a douche quoting myself but on second thought yes it will. For guys like Ford, Crawford, Murphy etc who are currently making dick this will be big. Good job by the University, there are still two extremely large things coming down the pipeline however

quit being a douche.

• Haha 1

How much do you think burnt ends needs to increase to make it move the needle with blue chip talent? It’d be interesting to know what a guy like Skinner thought about it or if Bama was just that much more appealing regardless of NIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MattyHorn said:

How much do you think burnt ends needs to increase to make it move the needle with blue chip talent? It’d be interesting to know what a guy like Skinner thought about it or if Bama was just that much more appealing regardless of NIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$0.00. It is still the largest recurring NIL deal for TEs outside of whatever the fuck Oregon is doing. We missed on Skinner but only went after him because hes a stud, if we went after another blue chip TE I am sure we would get one. Not that the burnt ends would be the sole reason but it doesnt hurt

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There is truth to both sides. PK has a great resume as a DC. Arguing anything less is just stupid. He has also put the car into the ditch in his first season. Something is wrong with the current configuration. I also think the talent is way down, but not to the the extent that warrants this seasons results. Either PK faked his way through almost 2 decades of coaching or the current defensive coaches just dont see eye to eye and that is why everything looks like a shit sandwich. That leaves Sark with 2 choices. Admit he screwed up and cut bait with PK. Admit he made a mistake by filling out the defensive staff before hiring PK and cut bait with the position coaches, letting PK bring in coaches he trusts. I think either one is a reasonable choice at this time, the only thing that isnt logical is for Sark to throw his hands up, keep everything status quo, and just play it off like it is simply a lack of talent. 

If you can cut bait without losing all these defensive recruits, then you do it. If not, then I think it gets a little tricky. You cant afford to lose quality incoming talent year one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

If you can cut bait without losing all these defensive recruits, then you do it. If not, then I think it gets a little tricky. You cant afford to lose quality incoming talent year one. 

Well you wouldnt be cutting Davis regardless and the rest of them outside of Brown and Allen, meh. Doubt they lose many if any

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Nothing is going to happen until Dec 16th. Not peep is going to come out of the Ivory towers until early signing day. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That leaves Sark with 2 choices. Admit he screwed up and cut bait with PK. Admit he made a mistake by filling out the defensive staff before hiring PK and cut bait with the position coaches, letting PK bring in coaches he trusts. I think either one is a reasonable choice at this time, the only thing that isnt logical is for Sark to throw his hands up, keep everything status quo, and just play it off like it is simply a lack of talent. 

Pretty much. I've been on the fence about this one, but it is what it is. I'd lean toward him bringing in his own guys, but how many of those guys who he really wants is he gunna actually get? You'd maybe be better off moving on if you have a guy you really believe is an upgrade.

Now, I also just can't bring myself to believe that there was some massive, one year regression in PK's defensive brain/brain period, which has kept me on the fence, as it sure as hell isn't from anything seen on the field. Sometimes when coaches don't have the preferred talent to do what they want to do, they overthink things and take risks that don't make much sense, instead of just dumbing down to the talent and playing it safe. If he's back around, hopefully he learned from that.

Shit, there's a lot of "hoping" with this program right now. Shitting in the other hand, I guess. Fuck this

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Well you wouldnt be cutting Davis regardless and the rest of them outside of Brown and Allen, meh. Doubt they lose many if any

Bo hasnt recruited much in this class, to the point I think he is being a bit under used in that regard. Defensive recruits and recruiters according to 247

1. B Allen- Gideon, Banks

2. Bledsoe- BO

3. Finkley- PK, Gideon

4. Tapp- PK, Terry Joseph

5. Austin Jordan- Terry Joseph

6. D Brown- PK, Choate

7. A Bryant- Bo, Gideon

8. T Johnson- Choate, Banks

9. Anthony Jones- PK

10. E Kerry- Choate

11. R Lewis- Terry Joseph

Bo hasnt recruited much in this class, to the point I think he is being a bit under used in that regard. Defensive recruits and recruiters according to 247

2. Bledsoe- BO

3. Finkley- PK, Gideon

6. D Brown- PK, Choate

7. A Bryant- Bo, Gideon

9. Anthony Jones- PK

10. E Kerry- Choate

Can you really go by 247.. Bo is the DT coach.. PK is listed as the DEs coach IIRC.. think they automatically fill those names next to a player at that position

Also if PK is allowed to reshuffle his assistants..  Get ready for the meltdown when he brings people that aren't rainmakers 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Now, I also just can't bring myself to believe that there was some massive, one year regression in PK's defensive brain/brain period, which has kept me on the fence, as it sure as hell isn't from anything seen on the field.

He’s not in the shitty PAC-12 anymore. Say what you want about the Big 12, but the conference has innovative offenses, and PK clearly doesn’t know what to do with them.

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2. Bledsoe- BO

3. Finkley- PK, Gideon

6. D Brown- PK, Choate

7. A Bryant- Bo, Gideon

9. Anthony Jones- PK

10. E Kerry- Choate

This 247 recruiters list is pretty useless FYI. It’s inaccurate all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Pretty much. I've been on the fence about this one, but it is what it is. I'd lean toward him bringing in his own guys, but how many of those guys who he really wants is he gunna actually get? You'd maybe be better off moving on if you have a guy you really believe is an upgrade.

Now, I also just can't bring myself to believe that there was some massive, one year regression in PK's defensive brain/brain period, which has kept me on the fence, as it sure as hell isn't from anything seen on the field. Sometimes when coaches don't have the preferred talent to do what they want to do, they overthink things and take risks that don't make much sense, instead of just dumbing down to the talent and playing it safe. If he's back around, hopefully he learned from that.

Shit, there's a lot of "hoping" with this program right now. Shitting in the other hand, I guess. Fuck this

that has to be part of the calculus. If you said Jimmy Lake was on PK's doorstep on his knees and hands stretched out begging to come to Texas, I would be OK with PK staying. IF you said he cant get Lake or someone like Yates, well then it probably makes sense to set off a bomb and start over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2. Bledsoe- BO

3. Finkley- PK, Gideon

6. D Brown- PK, Choate

7. A Bryant- Bo, Gideon

9. Anthony Jones- PK

10. E Kerry- Choate

Ya that list is wrong. Hell listing PK as anyones primary recruiter is incorrect

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Can you really go by 247.. Bo is the DT coach.. PK is listed as the DEs coach IIRC.. think they automatically fill those names next to a player at that position

Also if PK is allowed to reshuffle his assistants..  Get ready for the meltdown when he brings people that aren't rainmakers 

If you look just at the Edge players. 

3. Finkley- PK, Gideon

6. D Brown- PK, Choate

9. Anthony Jones- PK

Only Anthony Jones was recruited solely by PK. That makes sense since he committed to PK at Washington. Joseph, who is from La, was on Tapp. Gideon was on Finkley, probably from his time at Ole Miss. Choate was on D Brown. I am looking at the secondary recruiters as the more interesting information, than the position coach. I am not sure 247 is 100% accurate, but probably better than Surly's wild ass guesses.

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

that has to be part of the calculus. If you said Jimmy Lake was on PK's doorstep on his knees and hands stretched out begging to come to Texas, I would be OK with PK staying. IF you said he cant get Lake or someone like Yates, well then it probably makes sense to set off a bomb and start over. 

Y’all are fucking crazy, fire one of the better DC’s in college football after one year and start your 5th new defensive scheme since 2016. That’s your recipe for success? Who comes to this shit show after you pull that move? 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Y’all are fucking crazy, fire one of the better DC’s in college football after one year and start your 5th new defensive scheme since 2016. That’s your recipe for success? Who comes to this shit show after you pull that move? 

This is where I think people make errors. I know everyone hates Manny Diaz, but he has a very good resume as a pure DC. I also know Diaz and Akina did not get along at all. Diaz a zone guy and Akina bowed to the alter of man to man. It was a disaster and pretty much the only disaster on Manny's DC record. Coaching staff can be like a team. If they dont have chemistry it will show up on the field. I am not saying Texas can get a DC with a better reputation than PK. I am saying that Texas can get a staff that works together better. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Have you watched Texas this year? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

This is where I think people make errors. I know everyone hates Manny Diaz, but he has a very good resume as a pure DC. I also know Diaz and Akina did not get along at all. Diaz a zone guy and Akina bowed to the alter of man to man. It was a disaster. Coaching staff can be like a team. If they dont have chemistry it will show up on the field. I am not saying Texas can get a DC with a better reputation than PK. I am saying that Texas can get a staff that works together better. 

How many times do you think Akina went to Mack and said "this kid sucks" regarding Manny?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who gives a fuck about his resume. He’s coached one of the worst defenses in our programs history. You can take his resume , shine it up real really nice, turn that son of a bitch sideways, and shove it up your candy ass. 

Every DC since Manny has coached the worst defense in our programs history

Bobby Burton: Where Texas stands with Gary Patterson, recruiting traits and need

Based on information I’ve received, we should not expect Gary Patterson to have any involvement at Texas next season. The defensive-minded head coach was ousted by TCU at mid-season and there were some rumors Steve Sarkisian might lean on Patterson to help shore up the Texas defense in the off-season.

While Patterson has a great deal of respect for Sark, privately calling Sark’s offensive mind the best in the Big 12 and even going so far to say he likes him personally, and Patterson and Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte, who formerly held the same position at TCU, have a good relationship, I’m told Patterson is not looking to move away from Fort Worth at this time unless it’s as a head coach elsewhere. The purple in his blood runs deep.

In fact, despite his departure from on-field coaching, Patterson was in his office this week trying to help TCU coaches with their gameplan against Iowa State. Could things change over time for Patterson? Sure. But I was told not to expect anything where Patterson would be directly involved with UT.

After discussing it with Eric Nahlin and Gerry Hamilton over the last couple of weeks and months, there is something I really like about the defensive recruits on the front seven that Texas has attracted that I feel is worth mentioning. Every single one of the defensive players Texas has gone after in the front seven are violent, physical football players. They’re not guys who are necessarily the perfect size or the bluest of blue chips, but they are all very physical, lunch-pail types. They are going to play through traffic and fight and do it physically.

It’s clear to me, after watching all of them, that Texas is identifying a different “type” on defense than they did under Tom Herman, or even under Charlie Strong and Mack Brown to some degree. All of the players are physical guys who can move well. I like the group as a whole because the current Texas defense struggles getting off of blocks, and other than Byron Murphy and perhaps Moro Ojomo and T’Vondre Sweat at times, Texas does not have very many what I’d term “violent” defenders up front.

Texas needs more OLs, DBs, another disruptor on defense and a key WR in this high school class. Adding Brenen Thompson helps the WR room but Texas needs another piece to the puzzle. Harold Perkins is the type of player I’m talking about on defense, one who can make off-schedule plays because of his athleticism.

At DB, Texas really needs a true cover corner to pair with the group they have. I continue to believe safety BJ Allen may be the best overall player in this class. I showed BJ’s film to a friend of mine who played for Texas in the 70s. He said he immediately thought of former Longhorn All-American and long-time pro Johnnie Johnson because of how easy he made the game look and because of his ability as a punt returner.

The other player Texas absolutely has to keep is Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller. Miller is a future pro who has some ruggedness and physical play to him that fits well with Sark’s offensive style.

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If you look just at the Edge players. 

3. Finkley- PK, Gideon

6. D Brown- PK, Choate

9. Anthony Jones- PK

Only Anthony Jones was recruited solely by PK. That makes sense since he committed to PK at Washington. Joseph, who is from La, was on Tapp. Gideon was on Finkley, probably from his time at Ole Miss. Choate was on D Brown. I am looking at the secondary recruiters as the more interesting information, than the position coach. I am not sure 247 is 100% accurate, but probably better than Surly's wild ass guesses.

I have been curious on Gideon since our safeties have been such a shit show, but bringing in Allen and Finkley alone is enough for me to want to give him another shot. 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

How many times do you think Akina went to Mack and said "this kid sucks" regarding Manny?

100 times. It was doomed from the start. Texas has a history of this. I know for a fact that Les Koenning had to be physically restrained from beating the shit out of Watson at practice one day. I am not saying that is where Texas is today, but there is something not working with the defensive staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

100 times. It was doomed from the start. Texas has a history of this. I know for a fact that Les Koenning had to be physically restrained from beating the shit out of Watson at practice one day. I am not saying that is where Texas is today, but there is something not working with the defensive staff. 

I thought Herm fucked up bringing in the Houston crew but continuity is not a bad thing.  Hiring 9 all star coaches, not saying that's what Sark did, doesn't really mean much if they don't have the same philosophy.  

There was a video of Akina yelling at Manny right in front of Mack.  I suspect there was some undermining going on there honestly.  Manny was a good DC at a lot of places, except here.  

I still don't quite understand the concept of allowing one coach to call the coverage and another coach to call the stunts/defensive fronts. That seems like a recipe for disaster. When I was playing the coverages were always set according to the fronts and stunts, we had a different coach relaying the coverages in from the sideline, but the defense worked singularly as a unit, not as two different groups that could do things independent of the other. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I still don't quite understand the concept of allowing one coach to call the coverage and another coach to call the stunts/defensive fronts. That seems like a recipe for disaster. When I was playing the coverages were always set according to the fronts and stunts, we had a different coach relaying the coverages in from the sideline, but the defense worked singularly as a unit, not as two different groups that could do things independent of the other. 

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol at thinking Terry Joseph had anything to do with a kid we landed in Louisiana. He MAYBE assisted on Ronald Lewis but Tapp was all Harris, Hankton and Davis. Terry Joseph has done absolutely nothing on the recruiting trail, which shouldn't be surprising considering he did absolutely nothing at his previous stops including A&M.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting