Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

15 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Big risk having Samples as a WR coach. I'd probably prefer Jeff Banks to move over to WR's and let Samples coach the TE's. If we are going after samples, then we'd likely get him since we have Gilbert already on staff. 

Another reason is that samples would come is Drayton. He was assistant RB coach under Drayton when he was here. Im sure that Drayton helped him a lot. Play that angle too.

19 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Big risk having Samples as a WR coach. I'd probably prefer Jeff Banks to move over to WR's and let Samples coach the TE's. If we are going after samples, then we'd likely get him since we have Gilbert already on staff. 

Samples at TE would make the Burnt Ends a lot of fun, I am sure he would be more in the mix than Banks has been

22 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Why is it a big risk to ask the guy who played WR, was assistant WR coach at Texas, and worked with WRs at UH to be a WR coach?

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, RGBIII said:

Literally the best move Texas could make would be to hire Samples. IMO it would be even better than bringing in Ewers. Which is precisely why it wont happen, have yall not learned that we cant have nice things?

Even worse is that it didn't happen a year ago. Many defended Sark's decision to keep Coleman, but it never made any sense. Maybe he is a great mentor but he was not a good WR coach hire. We were told we were getting Wiggins, then Simmons, but ended up with Coleman lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Bryce Young's dad did not appreciate Saban talking about that

I am sure. Like RGIII said, it is balancing act. There is definitely a middle ground between Saban and what Texas is doing. The 2 loudest schools on NIL have been Bama and OSU, they sit 1 and 2 in the class rankings. This is just another facet of NIL. How do you get enough information out there on your players making money, without alienating them .

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Literally the best move Texas could make would be to hire Samples. IMO it would be even better than bringing in Ewers. Which is precisely why it wont happen, have yall not learned that we cant have nice things?

This is the last year on Coleman's contract, right?  If so, he's going to get replaced (especially once Stewart commits elsewhere).  No better time to get Samples than now right?  BTW do position coaches have buyouts?

37 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

It's really hard for me to see them letting Gideon go. Thats gotta be a bad PR move with him being a letterman and playing so recently. Thats a lot of alumni support potentially gone out of the window. 

the “alumni” would support anything that means winning games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This is the last year on Coleman's contract, right?  If so, he's going to get replaced (especially once Stewart commits elsewhere).  No better time to get Samples than now right?  BTW do position coaches have buyouts?

You just have to pay them the remaining $ on their contract. Coleman is on a 2 year deal. Just double checked. Making $450k this year and $500k next year

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

you mean the Jeff Banks who has never in his career coached WR? and whose college position was punter?

image.png.6b7c949fc0cb3648a03638d69ab27359.png

vs the guy who has never coached TE in his career, but who has at least coached WR?

Prior to arriving on the Hilltop, Samples worked at the University of Texas since February 2018. While with the Longhorns, Samples was as an on-campus recruiter and an assistant wide receivers coach. He was vital in the development of receivers Devin Duvernay and Lil’ Jordan Humphrey. Samples also played an important role in the Longhorns’ recruiting success.

Prior to his stint at Texas, Samples spent two years as an offensive assistant at the University of Houston in 2016 and 2017 working with the running backs and receivers (2016) under Darrell Wyatt and working with the quarterbacks (2017) under Brian Johnson. He played a role in the mentorship of Kyle Allen, D'Eriq King and Marquez Stevenson.

and I think he was also the WR coach his first year at SMU? and played WR in college?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I do believe that he is a going to be a great recruiter for us. If we had any pulse he probably lands Anderson this cycle.

You’ve had an awesome run the last two pages. I, for one, really hope to see you posting even more. Please get as many scorching hawt takes out there about coaching scenarios and backgrounds as you can. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Saban was told to shut the fuck up about Bryce Young’s money by his father the day Saban put it out there at the Texas high school coaches gathering. The next day, he was mum on the matter at SEC media days. Young’s father said he could play and make money anywhere and he didn’t need to be used as a Saban pawn for recruiting. Saban got religion pretty quickly.

2) That shit got out to coaches everywhere. There is a reluctance to talk about such matters because savvy parents and players don’t appreciate it. You guys may not like it, but Hudson Card is making 6 figures right now. You don’t hear about it, but recruits and such know these things. 

3) Oregon has been lapping the field on this stuff, way out ahead of OSU and others. Michigan, Texas, Miami, Notre Dame and others have all had as much get out there or publicized as the two schools you picked. Don’t p-hack the data to get the result you want. Your point is fine without posturing it in that way. 

4) As some of us have said the whole way, the NIL shit from Texas’ end started off with a face plant but it isn’t really behind anyone else besides Oregon. There is a very real argument to be made that Texas will have one of the biggest NIL stories so far and a blueprint for how you meet a payroll with our kind of power and money soon enough, in spite of UT’s best efforts to fuck it up. Not a done deal, but things are headed in the right direction on that front, at least.

Do you think Card makes more than Casey?

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I am sorry for speculating on a message board. 

You weren't speculating. You were talking out of your ass about 2 specific issues that are easily researched ahead of said asstalking. You raised the notion that Samples might not have the background for being a WR coach and you then threw out the idea that Banks, alternatively, might be a great fit on that front. 

And now, without a hint of irony on your end, you ran off and launched a coaching change thread on the recruiting board. Good shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Do you think Card makes more than Casey?

No clue. Behind the scenes, Card was the presumptive starter heading into the season. He had interest due to that. His family hired him an agent, began touting the presumptive starter tag, and he picked up some legit deals. So the story goes at least. Since the Arkansas game, there hasn't exactly been a clamoring to throw money at either QB. 

I'm sure if Thompson wasn't making some money, his dad would be hammering that through Chip Brown and others as well. 

Spoiler
20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Saban was told to shut the fuck up about Bryce Young’s money by his father the day Saban put it out there at the Texas high school coaches gathering. The next day, he was mum on the matter at SEC media days. Young’s father said he could play and make money anywhere and he didn’t need to be used as a Saban pawn for recruiting. Saban got religion pretty quickly.

2) That shit got out to coaches everywhere. There is a reluctance to talk about such matters because savvy parents and players don’t appreciate it. You guys may not like it, but Hudson Card is making 6 figures right now. You don’t hear about it, but recruits and such know these things. 

3) Oregon has been lapping the field on this stuff, way out ahead of OSU and others. Michigan, Texas, Miami, Notre Dame and others have all had as much get out there or publicized as the two schools you picked. Don’t p-hack the data to get the result you want. Your point is fine without posturing it in that way. 

4) As some of us have said the whole way, the NIL shit from Texas’ end started off with a face plant but it isn’t really behind anyone else besides Oregon. There is a very real argument to be made that Texas will have one of the biggest NIL stories so far and a blueprint for how you meet a payroll with our kind of power and money soon enough, in spite of UT’s best efforts to fuck it up. Not a done deal, but things are headed in the right direction on that front, at least.

As to #4 - what is your best guess in regards to timing on this NIL development? Post NDS1 or NSD2? Is this something that is going to benefit all players, groupings, or just a few individuals. Understand you may not be privy to or be able to share too many details.

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:
  Hide contents

As to #4 - what is your best guess in regards to timing on this NIL development? Post NDS1 or NSD2? Is this something that is going to benefit all players, groupings, or just a few individuals. Understand you may not be privy to or be able to share too many details.

some folks have said something about things happening before 12/15 but just noticed that is NSD1 lol

so i assume, yes?

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It’ll be a busy two weeks 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Russell Erxleben and Chance Mock are organizing an investment fund for the players.   Still a lot of moving parts, but it’s going to be big when it all comes together.

They're working with Art Schlichter on a cross-conference concept that could be really big for those getting in on the ground floor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I have never seen a more sensitive fanbase lmao. I hope he was talking about Jimbo thats funny lol

Just went back and listened to Sark's comments they're all butthurt about. Like has been said, it if was intentional, that's gold. I'm more fascinated that Liucci indirectly made Sark's point for him. Jimbo's first year at aggy (9-4 including a bowl win) and all the years since is pretty similar to every aggy season since 2013 (7 or 8 regular season wins), but Jimbo has been faring better in bowl games than late Sumlin, so he's maintained the status quo pretty well without really improving all that much despite the really good recruiting. I'd be happy to trade places with them, but he never ceases to amaze me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Imade had a quote yesterday about Flood that gave me a lot of hope:

Guard Tope Imade, a sixth-year player, is the rare Longhorn who has played for three different head coaches during his time on campus. “I know from the short time I’ve had with Coach Sark, he is the guy,” he said.

Imade also praised offensive line coach Kyle Flood. Imade would know; he’s played for four position coaches during his time at UT. “I couldn't be any more grateful,” he said. “Even outside of me, I see walk-ons developing, and that’s amazing. You know, I've never seen that here before.”

Give this man a 10th year of eligibility! #10forTope

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Just went back and listened to Sark's comments they're all butthurt about. Like has been said, it if was intentional, that's gold. I'm more fascinated that Liucci indirectly made Sark's point for him. Jimbo's first year at aggy (9-4 including a bowl win) and all the years since is pretty similar to every aggy season since 2013 (7 or 8 regular season wins), but Jimbo has been faring better in bowl games than late Sumlin, so he's maintained the status quo pretty well without really improving all that much despite the really good recruiting. I'd be happy to trade places with them, but he never ceases to amaze me. 

their conference numbers are actually pretty hilariously right on track if you exclude 2020

image.png.1702e8e5be61566b93999015b66ebd92.png

and here is what happens if they lose to LSU (prediction tracker has A&M winning about 65% of the time, median line of A&M by 5.74)

image.png.a79f6dc65c1b0a050b6159bd33215812.png

i mean, that is hilariously right on track with Sumlin

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pre-NSD1. If it gets done, it could be a floodgate opener across potentially every sport but starting with a key part of football. Just be patient and remember that this is going big or going home, and given what we've lived over the last 12 years, you have to give going home its due consideration.

Are we talking nurse money here?

• Haha 7

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pre-NSD1. If it gets done, it could be a floodgate opener across potentially every sport but starting with a key part of football. Just be patient and remember that this is going big or going home, and given what we've lived over the last 12 years, you have to give going home its due consideration.

*lightning strikes ominously as Plonsky punches her zombie fist up through the soil*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I am sure. Like RGIII said, it is balancing act. There is definitely a middle ground between Saban and what Texas is doing. The 2 loudest schools on NIL have been Bama and OSU, they sit 1 and 2 in the class rankings. This is just another facet of NIL. How do you get enough information out there on your players making money, without alienating them .

Talk about cumulative NIL deals on the team or on each side of the ball or by position group without talking about specific players.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

can the university provide free tax accounting services?

so 85 scholarship players.  QB/LT/End/WR/Corners going to command the most.  what do you think?  maybe 30M a year payroll?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting