Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The bottom line is if Sark and his staff (remember brining in Banks, Flood, et al and how they were supposed to drop bags finally and get the big time recruits) are unable to bring in top level talent then he will fail miserably here.

You think this is new? Where do the bags come from? The reason coaches like Urban won’t come here is because Texas has never had a system in place to support dropping bags. That’s not on the coaches.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't see the Aggies slowing down their bag game at all. This class will likely only make them continue to drop outrageously over market bags going forward.

Hopefully the rest of the SEC takes offense and starts talking a little and stuff starts coming out like it did on Ole Miss.  There was always a gentlemen's agreement on how much you could pay I thought.  Not that the NCAA will do anything anyway, but it might cause a few headaches for them and buy us more time to catch up or have our NIL come to full fruition.  

Just now, burdine said:

Recruits are going to the schools putting players into the NFL.  Until we start doing that, we are very vulnerable to negative recruiting.

We are gonna have to develop some kids and get them drafted to really get momentum IMO.

Now tell me how many WR's Jimbo is putting into the NFL?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I honestly have zero faith in the portal. If we crush it phenomenal but from what we've seen so far, nothing gives me much hope we do well there either.

Agreed. What’s the hit rate on portal kids around here? 1 for 5, maybe?  The odds aren’t good for Sarkisian at this rate. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Regardless of the money aTm is throwing at kids, which is substantial, at the end of the day, the school is recruiting itself right now. Actually, that's not accurate. Let me rephrase, that RECRUITING CLASS is recruiting itself right now. Regardless of the fact college station is an island of misfit racists, and despite a shitty offense and another season ending in a wet fart, they have a tremendous class full of talented players, and the momentum is snowballing fast. 

You can sell vision all you want. You can even like our coaches and our scheme. But we had a historically bad season, lost to Kansas, and haven't had a high tier commitment in ages. If you had to pick, well, the school throwing money at kids right now that is possibly going to sign the #1 recruiting class, well, at least they can say with a straight face they're drawing the TALENT to compete at the highest level. Everyone is looking at Texas and knows we don't have to talent to win shit, and probably won't any time soon. Kids want to play with other good kids, we all know that. 

IMO this is all why failing to hire Urban set us so far back. We had to nail that hire to change perception and commitment to winning. In 2 years if we do the same song and dance with regards to hiring we are just going to set ourselves up for failure. I think we will need to identify our main target and make them ridiculous deals like we're seeing now, maybe even more ridiculous to nail the hire. We can't fumble another fucking hire being in the SEC.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO this is all why failing to hire Urban set us so far back. We had to nail that hire to change perception and commitment to winning. In 2 years if we do the same song and dance with regards to hiring we are just going to set ourselves up for failure. I think we will need to identify our main target and make them ridiculous deals like we're seeing now, maybe even more ridiculous to nail the hire. We can't fumble another fucking hire being in the SEC.

I guess the good news about us not going to the SEC until 2025 is that maybe we'll get that new-coach bump right as we make the move. 

Yup, we're going to miss out on the majority, if not all, of the big time recruits. I think they were truly considering us, depending on how things went this season. As I've said multiple times, recruits don't care about individual games and whether we win them or not. They care about the overall direction of the program, which doesn't look good right now. Sark is telling them that this is what we're working on and they can be a big part of that, which is a really tough sell to guys who want to win now, and look good for scouts so they can get drafted. Unfortunately we're in a catch-22 and have been for a while. We gotta win on the field to show we're going in a positive direction, but we haven't been able to get any momentum without players like these. College football recruiting in a nutshell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Are we going to finish with a top-10 class? Who are you confident in us landing that would keep us in the top-10? Banks, who's already committed to another school? Campbell, who has supposedly been a near-lock for 5 months but has never pulled the trigger? I think it's just as likely we end up outside the top-10 at this point. This staff can't close. 

I'd also like to point out that we've been in the top-10 ranked recruiting classes most of the last decade and where has that gotten us? Is this fringe top-10 class well rounded with difference makers? No. More than 1/3 of the class is DL recruits. Fucking ridiculous. We have 1 fucking guy in the 247 composite top-100. We have only two OL, both of which are guards and our OL is both fucking terrible AND low on bodies. Same applies to LB, and we have one LB recruit in Trevell Johnson, who is ranked in the 500s.

As you point out, we've been missing out on the 5-stars for MORE THAN a little while now. We have five five-stars on the roster now. BJ Foster, who sucks, Alfred Collins, who apparently doesn't like football, Jordan Whittington, who is Mr. Glass, and then two badasses in Worthy and Bijan. We sucked monumentally last year. How bad would we suck without those two dudes? They're literally the only difference makers on this team. 

Shit is........ grim. 

I expect we'll finish between 270 and 280 points.  Thats the current class plus Agbo, LTG, Red, Kobie, and then Campbell would make the difference between 270 and 280.

2019 is the only year in the last 5 where 270 points didn't get you a top 10 class.

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What’s your definition of home run? Tons of teams got quality starters from the portal within our conference alone. 

it’s not about hitting a home run, it’s about getting quality starters which we currently don’t have very many of at most positions. 

Quality starters would be a home run to me. You know, the complete opposite of what we recruited from it last year.

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Alfred Collins, who apparently doesn't like football

Collins likes football. He doesn't like catching offensive linemen to try and maintain 2 gaps, like it's 1986, all so that a fucking spare like Brockermeyer can still be late to the play or worse being pulled from the game for playing behind the LOS and being disruptive. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What’s your definition of home run? Tons of teams got quality starters from the portal within our conference alone.

it’s not about hitting a home run, it’s about getting quality starters which we currently don’t have very many of at most positions. 

Ovie Oghoufo. Ray Thornton. Devin Richardson. Ben Davis. Realistically, these are the kinds of guys you get when you go portal shopping. They were starters, but they all have significant flaws and weren't enough to offset the loss of Ossai and Graham.

How many teams have engineered this kind of turnaround from the Portal, anyway? Mel Tucker at Michigan State comes to mind, any others?

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Yup, we're going to miss out on the majority, if not all, of the big time recruits. I think they were truly considering us, depending on how things went this season. As I've said multiple times, recruits don't care about individual games and whether we win them or not. They care about the overall direction of the program, which doesn't look good right now. Sark is telling them that this is what we're working on and they can be a big part of that, which is a really tough sell to guys who want to win now, and look good for scouts so they can get drafted. Unfortunately we're in a catch-22 and have been for a while. We gotta win on the field to show we're going in a positive direction, but we haven't been able to get any momentum without players like these. College football recruiting in a nutshell. 

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but early on 2023 isn't looking too hot either.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Just now, golfclap said:

Collins likes football. He doesn't like catching offensive linemen to try and maintain 2 gaps, like it's 1986, all so that a fucking spare like Brockermeyer can still be late to the play or worse being pulled from the game for playing behind the LOS and being disruptive. 

How else would we convince the good Brocks to transfer here if we didn't make their spare-ass walk-on brother the centerpiece of the defense? Sark's just playing 3D chess and we're all too stupid to understand it.....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but early on 2023 isn't looking too hot either.

Who knows what the coaching landscape will look like in 2023.  Start off like this year ended and not sure it'll matter anyways.  Just can't even think about next year yet.  

3 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Per CTJ source we should have around 5 high profile players we get right before signing day. Should we start making guesses or assume his source is wrong?

That was last week and probably included Dewberry, Banks, Campbell, and maybe Stewert. And we're probably gonna whiff on all of them.

The NIL stuff is the future of this program, that will take some time to filter out. Once recruits see the fruit of it I believe it will be the game changer. We need to be competitive next year, the best way to do that is improve at the Tackle positions on offense, edge rusher, LB and QB. Tackle and edge rusher can make or break a team. It broke this one this past season.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

The NIL stuff is the future of this program, that will take some time to filter out. Once recruits see the fruit of it I believe it will be the game changer. We need to be competitive next year, the best way to do that is improve at the Tackle positions on offense, edge rusher, LB and QB. Tackle and edge rusher can make or break a team. It broke this one this past season.

If you paid attention to what Barbocoa said we promised a player a fat NIL deal worth a couple hundred k.....

That offer was bested by cold hard cash now under the table, tax free.

12 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Per CTJ source we should have around 5 high profile players we get right before signing day. Should we start making guesses or assume his source is wrong?

I think the source was either optimistic on what Sark and bags could do, or they're including transfers.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

If you paid attention to what Barbocoa said we promised a player a fat NIL deal worth a couple hundred k.....

That offer was bested by cold hard cash now under the table, tax free.

From what I read it was promised but couldn't be delivered but that is how I interpreted, maybe I'm wrong. Anyway that was Evan Stewart which certainly isn't our biggest need.

37 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Maybe not errybody but sumbody? 

Explain why A&M is getting all of these recruits and don't just say $$$ because if that is it, we and everyone else should be able to pay for some of these kids.  Not all but maybe one or two.  It's not like A&M just put up a strong year with their 4 losses and maybe even 5 if they get a decent opponent in a bowl game.  The bottom line is if Sark and his staff (remember brining in Banks, Flood, et al and how they were supposed to drop bags

Well, the whole "errybody" thing was just a joke.

As for explaining A&M, I think SydneyCarton already summed it up pretty well: momentum is also playing a part.

As for Banks and those guys, and "how they were supposed to drop bags," the coaches aren't emptying their own pockets on these guys. Those few coaches that get the "bag" tag are just good at making sure it happens. Unfortunately, you need that participating partner on the other end, alum/booster guys who have the stomach to get down in the mud and play. We don't have that. 

Hopefully the new NIL deal starts reeling 'em in this next cycle, 'cos the bag game isn't gunna happen. Say what you will about aggy, but those gomers don't mind spending their own money on a player to best Texas. Losing to Kansas at home and aggy at the 'croots doesn't budge our lot.

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

From what I read it was promised but couldn't be delivered but that is how I interpreted, maybe I'm wrong. Anyway that was Evan Stewart which certainly isn't our biggest need.

Um, apply same concept to other "biggest needs" and apply the same scenario and you have why we are sucking shit through a straw recruiting against them.

I think a new strategy may be in order.  If these big dogs aren’t gonna come until we win then we need to start hurting the Oklahoma State’s of the world by taking their players.  When we get in too late these guys tell us to go fuck ourselves.  Ex: Golden.

We don’t need top 10 classes to win big.  But, we do need players.  If we continue to lose tier 2 athletes after striking out on tier 1 athletes it won’t matter who we hire. 

Now, if we don’t want to resort to that then we better start dropping bags.  That’s a nonstarter so start hurting TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma State’s efforts so that we can build a senior laden roster that isn’t complete dogshit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They are, but your whole premise is they go where they can get to the NFL. But it's obviously not just that, it's more complicated than that. 

It's not really my whole premise, I just didn't write out all the other things that get discussed here which matter too.

I guess I think it's under-discussed that we just aren't putting kids in the league like  we used to and some of our competition for talent still does.

We have recruited at a much higher level than we have been putting kids into the league the last 5 years or so. 

Why is that?  Kids see that.  All the wasted 4 and 5 stars at Texas that don't get drafted high or even at all.

I also think that is not something that gets fixed overnight.  I think all the staff turnover is part of that.

I get this season sucked.  I get we have no momentum.

So either we nuke this staff again after the next year or two and hope to catch lightning in a bottle and get lucky  OR we try and see if this staff can gel or be upgraded over the next year or two while keeping these kids in the same system so they can develop properly.

It seems like we are past the quick fix stage unless we get very lucky.  This offensive staff seems good enough.  Maybe figure out how to change or maximize the staff we have instead of wholesale talking about nuking it all the time.

I know patience is a tough sell.

I think the theme of kids go to Bama to get in the league and Texas kids get to be undrafted free agents needs to be changed and it might take patience to do it.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I honestly have zero faith in the portal. If we crush it phenomenal but from what we've seen so far, nothing gives me much hope we do well there either. For fucks sake Sark doesn't even have a new coach bump in recruiting.

I do not understand all of the people on this board who are treating the transfer portal as the panacea to all of our ills. You’ve got to recruit out of the portal too, same as a high school kid.

Why should we believe we’re going to be so much more successful in the portal than we’ve been w/ regular recruiting?

13 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I'm not living in a fairy tale, the people thinking we deserve a top 10 class are the ones living in a fairy tale.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. Do you think aggy “deserves” the #1 class based on their season?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

It's not really my whole premise, I just didn't write out all the other things that get discussed here which matter too.

I guess I think it's under-discussed that we just aren't putting kids in the league like  we used to and some of our competition for talent still does.

We have recruited at a much higher level than we have been putting kids into the league the last 5 years or so. 

Why is that?  Kids see that.  All the wasted 4 and 5 stars at Texas that don't get drafted high or even at all.

I also think that is not something that gets fixed overnight.  I think all the staff turnover is part of that.

I get this season sucked.  I get we have no momentum.

So either we nuke this staff again after the next year or two and hope to catch lightning in a bottle and get lucky  OR we try and see if this staff can gel or be upgraded over the next year or two while keeping these kids in the same system so they can develop properly.

It seems like we are past the quick fix stage unless we get very lucky.  This offensive staff seems good enough.  Maybe figure out how to change or maximize the staff we have instead of wholesale talking about nuking it all the time.

I know patience is a tough sell.

I think the theme of kids go to Bama to get in the league and Texas kids get to be undrafted free agents needs to be changed and it might take patience to do it.

You’re not wrong. It’s just a tough pill to swallow. Texas damned if they do, damned if they don’t, when it comes to staff changes. Sarkisian may turn things around. He may not. But, the pool of 2023 recruits up to bat next is pretty small when rivals put our sales pitch on the table. 
Right now, Texas sells “what if”, “take a chance”, while other schools are selling “get on board or you know you’re going to miss out”

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

I do not understand all of the people on this board who are treating the transfer portal as the panacea to all of our ills. You’ve got to recruit out of the portal too, same as a high school kid.

Why should we believe we’re going to be so much more successful in the portal than we’ve been w/ regular recruiting?

Deserve has nothing to do with it. Do you think aggy “deserves” the #1 class based on their season?

I think there are some differences in the mindset of players who have already been on college campuses vs high school recruits. Conceptually it may be the same but the approaches and pitches are slightly different. 

19 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I'm not living in a fairy tale, the people thinking we deserve a top 10 class are the ones living in a fairy tale.

"Deserve", lol. No one put a gun to Sark's head and forced him to lose to Kansas.

In September you and the rest of the sunshine-pumping crowd kept claiming that recruits were smart enough to not care about wins and losses because they were focused on the 'long-term' vision of the program. Well, now those same recruits want nothing to do with us. The conclusion is obvious.

The NIL can be an equalizer…and frankly it may be our only hope at this point. Kids uncles that want to get paid will hate the NIL, none for them and all for the kid. The CFC thing was great, the other thing that will come out soon is great but that doesn’t yet equate as tangible for these recruits. Honestly the NIL may be more for transfers than recruits cause they realize the value of it more than a kid fresh out of high school. If Sark was actually playing in the big 12 championship this weekend we are talking about vision and something tangible to sell on. At this point we are selling well we have this NIL deal you may be able to get a piece of down the line and you can come in and play immediately cause we suck ass. At this point I don’t even want to pay attention to 2022 and can probably skip 2023 at this point, we will continue to pay as many players as we can and hope the next guy after Sark can dig us out. Rinse and repeat

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting