Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Roach

Spoiler

HIGH SCHOOL COACHES FEEDBACK
Over the weekend I attended the DFW coaches clinic.  The annual event held in Grapevine attracts some of the best coaches from around the state to come and learn from each other.  In my two days attending, I was able to speak with many assistant coaches and recruiting coordinators and multiple head coaches at high school programs across the state.

This year, everyone wanted to talk about Steve Sarkisian and the new Texas staff.  There is a renewed excitement in the air about the program from the staff.  Believe it or not, high school coaches want the programs in the state, especially Texas and Texas A&M, to have success.  It sounds like the Longhorns will have a few more fans from those ranks this year.

Without the benefit of on campus visits, most coaches have only heard a bit about Sarkisian and don’t know him well. A source I spoke with mentioned that Sarkisian’s visit to the THSCA headquarters shortly after his hiring was well-received. The most common description of Sarkisian this weekend from people who have met him was “approachable.”

This stands in stark contrast to Tom Herman who seems to have worn out his welcome a bit in the state of Texas. The coaches I spoke with told me that while they had no problem with many of the assistants on Herman’s staff, the general attitude from Herman was off putting to them. I’ve talked in the past about how Herman’s lack of self-awareness and arrogance was singled out by coaches and many others who came into contact with him.

One highly respected head coach I spoke with who had players recruited by Texas in the last few years told me that by the end of his tenure, he was actively rooting against Texas to win each week. He told me he was looking forward to being able to watch Texas and rooting for the Longhorns to succeed.

One longtime Texas high school football head coach told me that he knew Herman during his time at Texas State, Rice, Iowa State, Ohio State and Houston and was surprised to see how much he changed. “Something about the Texas job got to him,” the source said. “When he was coming up, he was as affable and bright as a young assistant could be. It wasn’t like that when he got to Texas.”

One of the biggest red flags was the way everything unfolded when Herman fired the majority of his staff before last season. Many of those guys were long time assistants and friends of Herman, and while high school coaches understand making changes when necessary, they felt that he laid the blame for everything on his outgoing coaches. Horns247 also heard that the reporting concerning assistants like Drew Mehringer wasn’t always accurate and he was one of a few people made to be a scapegoat.

Sarkisian will get a clean slate, and the staff he assembled is creating some excitement.  Jeff Banks is highly regarded by the coaches in the state and all the reviews I’ve heard on him were positive.  One defensive coordinator I spoke with raved about how much he loved what Pete Kwiatkowski does on defense and talked about how he couldn’t wait to learn more from him. There was some question as to why Texas hired secondary coaches before hiring the defensive coordinator, and they mentioned that Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon will have to be on top of their game as coaches as Kwiatkowski typically operated the front seven while trusting his secondary coaches to tie everything together on the back end.

Overall, the reviews of Sarkisian and the staff hires were very optimistic As we’ve learned in the last few years, you don’t necessarily have to have the coaches on your side, but having them actively working against you is a death sentence. 

RECRUITING NOTES

— Over the weekend, 2022 Beaumont Westbrook safety Bryce Anderson decommitted from LSU. Blake Gideon has been all over Anderson since arriving in Austin, but Texas is playing from behind in this one. Texas A&M had some buzz for Anderson even before he decommitted from LSU, and the Aggies are considered the front runner. If Gideon can hold Anderson off from making a flip, Texas could get into it for one of the best safeties in the state.

— Texas reached out to Omari Abor over the last week. Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Banks were the coaches to contact the elite edge rusher which seems to indicate that Banks will be involved in south Dallas. Abor said he’s looking forward to building a relationship with the staff and seeing how they will use him in their defense moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding Bear, there's nothing at all on Bama sites about his announcement, and not much on Ohio State 247 other than to say the timing has caught everyone off guard. He still hasn't visited Ohio State, fwiw, although I'm not sure that matters as much as it did pre-Covid. 

Seems like the schools who he isn't picking haven't been told yet, and it's unclear if the school he's picked has been told. 

It'll be interesting to see if Loochi's "not Big XII" comment holds in the coming days, as Texas and OU were two of his top teams; his unofficial top five were probably Texas, A&M, OU, Ohio State, and Bama

he's not committing, he's changing high schools

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

he's not committing, he's changing high schools

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

didn't a mod say he is indeed committing?

Perroni says he got confirmation that he's committing. Maybe he's wrong though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I'd take the field over us, but we seem to be in the thick of it

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't he the one that posted something about not caring about recruiting.. he was caring about his mom working multiple jobs to support the family and her to catch all his games this season?

TFB

Spoiler

Sark Going After 5-Star Cali Quarterback

Late last week, Texas re-offered 2022 5-star Cali quarterback, Maalik Murphy (Junipero Serra).

This is going to be one to watch. I’ve spoken to a couple sources out west and both gave them the sense that Sark and Texas are going to be a very big player in this one.

Sark is tied in with Maalik’s camp and I was told that Maalik and a lot of the players and folks out west like and trust Sark. They see him as a West Coast guy which gives him credibility and after seeing what he’s done at Alabama, it only adds to that credibility.

I don’t want to get too far out in front of my skies here but everyone I’ve spoken to says that Texas will be a player in this recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't he the one that posted something about not caring about recruiting.. he was caring about his mom working multiple jobs to support the family and her to catch all his games this season?

Yep

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

Late last week, Texas re-offered 2022 5-star Cali quarterback, Maalik Murphy (Junipero Serra).

This is going to be one to watch. I’ve spoken to a couple sources out west and both gave them the sense that Sark and Texas are going to be a very big player in this one.

Sark is tied in with Maalik’s camp and I was told that Maalik and a lot of the players and folks out west like and trust Sark. They see him as a West Coast guy which gives him credibility and after seeing what he’s done at Alabama, it only adds to that credibility.

I don’t want to get too far out in front of my skies here but everyone I’ve spoken to says that Texas will be a player in this recruitment.

The kid's mom works for UCLA.. I know he's been pro Texas on social media and all.. but it just feels that he will still go to UCLA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

The kid's mom works for UCLA.. I know he's been pro Texas on social media and all.. but it just feels that he will still go to UCLA.

This might be a situation where he's getting a front row view of the shitshow, similar to the Brockermeyers and Texas 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

1 minute ago, Fud said:

This might be a situation where he's getting a front row view of the shitshow, similar to the Brockermeyers and Texas 

Yup. Especially at a school whose admin famously barely tolerates the football program.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB

Hide contents

Not Surprised GIF - FlightOfTheConchords JemaineClement ImNotSurprised -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

GIF-Christian-Bale-confused-dafuq-distur

That Roach write-up about the HS coaches takes regarding Herman and his staff is fucking gold. Either he fashioned the story out of thin air, which I doubt, or he talked to some of the dumbest, least informed dipshits available at the gathering. 

Regarding Herman coming up as an assistant and being captain gregarious, huh? He was a known asshole but considered innovative and aggressive, so he got away with it. His personality never drew high marks. Then, his behavior at UH, for anyone paying attention, only cemented what kind of loser this guy was turning out to be.

Regarding HS coaches frowning on Herman dumping his assistants, what in the fuck was to be expected? These are the same HS coaches that advised kids to sit and wait until the dust settled at Texas with Herman, and who never advocated positives to the $9.95ers while the assistants were on the staff.

In short, only a fucking idiot would find it even vaguely fruitful to offer a defense, of any sort, for Herman's staff. Adding to that, defending Drew Fucking Meh is a high point of oblivious stupidity from Roach. It's bizarre and hard to fathom. That fucking clown was a pure net negative, and that's what he's been, wherever he's been, and why he's at some directional school right now, probably hanging on by a fucking string. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ewers is clearly above Maalik, but I'm not sure where Maalik stands vs the other in-state options, including Hoover

It's going to be tough to really evaluate him since there was no season for him in California.  However, he will be making the camp trips this spring and summer, hopefully we will see then

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ewers is clearly above Maalik, but I'm not sure where Maalik stands vs the other in-state options, including Hoover

I think they want to see him. I'd take him right now above all of the in-state guys except Ewers. Fuck it if he hasn't played in years. He's fucking huge and has a gun. If he's got any personality at all, maybe he helps land some other guys out that way. If he turns out to be a beast in college, that will play on the west coast for years.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

It's going to be tough to really evaluate him since there was no season for him in California.  However, he will be making the camp trips this spring and summer, hopefully we will see then

He should transfer to one the Bishop Gormon/IMG types and get a year's worth of live reps. He also really needs to enroll early. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think they want to see him. I'd take him right now above all of the in-state guys except Ewers. Fuck it if he hasn't played in years. He's fucking huge and has a gun. If he's got any personality at all, maybe he helps land some other guys out that way. If he turns out to be a beast in college, that will play on the west coast for years.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

He should transfer to one the Bishop Gormon/IMG types and get a year's worth of live reps. He also really needs to enroll early. 

I thought they were doing a spring season? or was that another recruit out west that tweeted something about getting a chance to play now?

• Hook 'Em 1

One other thought on the in-state QBs - I'll go ahead and PrestonStonerize Cade Klubnik from my end on this thread. Do.not.want. Dude is a long strider and the last guy we had like that ... did not work out. 

Also, Preston Stone went from 5 star to out of the national 100. He should have fallen further, but I'm sure he'll light it up against the also-rans at SMU.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Viper said:

I thought they were doing a spring season? or was that another recruit out west that tweeted something about getting a chance to play now?

They aren't allowed to play right now until the State deems it safe.  Communities and coaches are pleading with the governor to allow high schools to move forward with football.  It should have already started.

Nahlin:

WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary’s, St. Louis, MO. (2022) - In watching him work out, the five-star lived up to the hype with natural hands, excellent acceleration, and the ability to explode out of cuts. While he didn’t visit Austin on his visit to Houston, Texas was on his mind, both the state and the school. He mentioned how comfortable he felt in Texas. He has talked to Steve Sarkisian recently, with Sark underlining he’d be used similarly to Heisman winner DeVonta Smith. Coleman likes the idea of being moved around a lot. He also mentioned he had a good relationship with Andre Coleman stemming from before staff changes were made. There’s a very good chance Texas will be in this recruitment until the very end. Other schools mentioned were Alabama, Florida State, USC, and Oregon. He mentioned he must not like cold weather, because aside Oregon those are all warm weather locations. While bundled up like Kenny, he nodded in agreement. This is a national recruitment we’ll take genuine interest in.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall (2022): While I was able to see Coleman, I missed Marshall by a day but everyone was raving about his ability. He’s viewed as an A&M lean but it’s too early to call him that according to those I talked to on Sunday. His recruitment hasn’t even begun and right now the dual-sport star is more focused on basketball than recruiting. Things will pick up for him much later in the spring. He is close with A&M freshman Devon Achane, but you may recall, Achane took his time with the process. Marshall is a big priority for Texas and he’s intrigued by the new staff and is very aware of what the Bama wide receivers accomplished the last two years.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain - “Texas is right there at the top.” This is the same quote I’ve been getting since he was offered out of the blue 18 months ago. He also mentions Bama, UGA, OU, and LSU. He talked to Sarkisian for the second time on Saturday with this time being more in depth than the first time. His relationship with Stan Drayton, which has always been a major plus and given UT its consistent presence at the top of his list, is as strong as ever. He’s filled out a lot over the last year but is still a natural athlete whether at running back or running routes like he was on Sunday.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial (2022) - TEXAS: Guilbeau was certainly contemplating opening up his recruitment but came to the understanding that would be pointless at this time. There are those close to him who think Sarkisian is going to win big and Guilbeau will want to be a part of it. The thinking is, if Texas is getting out-recruited a couple of months from now, he can always change his mind then. That’s not to say that will happen, just that he understands there’s no point in de-committing now. If he feels genuinely wanted I don’t think he’ll open things up. He is still hearing most notably from A&M, TCU, and Alabama.

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (2023): The new staff is reaching out to up-and-coming sophomores as well. Add in the speedster from the metroplex.

“I’ve been good, just grinding to get better,” said Cook. “I’m running the 200, 4x1, 4x2, long jump, triple jump this spring. Still trying to get faster.”

At 6-foot, 170, the rising prospect holds 18 offers including Auburn, Florida State, Mississippi State, and South Carolina. Add UT to the mix.

“I actually talked to coach Coleman about a week ago,” said Cook. “He was just telling me about how things are about to change at Texas. Big things.”

Miami, Oklahoma, and Baylor are also pushing for the DFW talented stud, who tallied almost 700 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns in 2020.

Teammate and UT signee Byron Murphy has been giving positive vibes surrounding the Texas program. Cook has noticed.

With the staff going hard at the 2022s, it's good seeing the 2023s aren’t being ignored. With a prospect like Cook, you have to keep the stove warm.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

chipper GIF

Fucking Stanford and their fake ass academic superiority.  Hardest thing about that school is getting in.  Once you're in, its fucking fantasy land.  Entitled buulshit fucktards, every single one of them.  Plus their campus looks like Taco Bell so fuck them about that too

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Fucking Stanford and their fake ass academic superiority.  Hardest thing about that school is getting in.  Once you're in, its fucking fantasy land.  Entitled buulshit fucktards, every single one of them.  Plus their campus looks like Taco Bell so fuck them about that too

Agreed, I work in tech and the "respect" they get is completely undeserved.  I have several Stanford grads on a partner team and they are all middle of the road developers.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
typo

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting